Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US (10202 Views)

Nigeria Planning Airline On $2 Billion Aviation Expansio / I'm Planning To Travel To Malaysia For Studies, Please I Need Your Opinion / 10 Days In Nigeria And I Am Planning To Relocate To Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by mosiate(f): 4:51pm On Jun 01, 2005
Why are Most Young Nigerian Men Crazy About Going to the US?

If you ask guys between the ages of 16-25 the plans they have ahead in their lives, at least 80% of them will tell you they want to go to 'Yankee' and I still wonder why. Could someone tell me why?
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Adetola(m): 5:10pm On Jun 01, 2005
This may be casued by so many reasons, some of which are highlighted below:
[list][li]Not being content with what they have.[/li]
[li]Just want to be known as 'Americana'[/li]
[li]Sufferhead! [suffering] Some people say there are better chances of survival abroad.[/li]
[li]Some just want to be there for the sake of being there.[/li][/list]

Whatever the reason may be, I still think there are many more 'virgin' business ideas in Nigeria - ideas that are yet to be discovered and explored. Even the already existing avenues are yet to be optimally utilised. We are yet to reach a state of "Parento Optimality" (an economic term) in Nigeria.

As for me, I'm not in a haste to travel. But if the oppurtunity comes, I will definitely be sure of what I am going there to do, not to start running helter-skelter and dodging the law enforcement agents "because I dont have papers."

That's my own stand.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Hunter(m): 1:35am On Jun 02, 2005
But why america there are far better countries to go to?
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by SIFA(m): 12:37pm On Jun 02, 2005
Very interesting topic.

I think the reason behind such movement from Naija to yankee is for greener pasture.

However money in Naija. You only need brain, connection and guts
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by diakim(m): 1:05pm On Jun 02, 2005
If the economy of this country is well-managed and our leaders have plans for the youths and unborn generations, then this will check the exodus of Nigerian youths to America or other greener pastures in overseas countries.

For instance, if you give an average youth in Nigeria about N2m to set himself up in business, he will prefer to use the money to process papers to travel to America because he believes that if he put the money to business in Nigeria, the business may collapse and he might end up being in debts at the end. All these is due to the harsh economic realities that we are facing now in this country. So, I wouldn't really blame them for trying to check out.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Seun(m): 2:40pm On Jun 02, 2005
Why don't you give me 2 million and see what I would do with it? grin
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by dominobaby(f): 6:15pm On Jun 02, 2005
It is for greener pastures and a lot more reason. Adding to what Diakim pointed out, there are a lot of things that are not in place, there is nothing to encourage the youth or, so to say, assure him a good future. Some even prefer to stay back at home and not get into the university while they try out their 'runs', desperately seeking to leave!
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by mosiate(f): 9:37am On Jun 03, 2005
"Greener pastures" in what sense?
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by jogego(m): 10:49am On Jun 03, 2005
mosiate:

Greener pastures in the sense that people want a place where life is not as stressful as it back home.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by kinglove: 11:14pm On Jun 03, 2005
jogego:

mosiate link=topic=357.msg3410#msg3410 date=1117787843:

Greener pastures in the sense that people want a place where life is not as stressful as it back home.
who told you that life is not stressful in Yankee or Jand?
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by kazey(m): 7:08am On Jun 04, 2005
I guess what he meant was odd jobs such as cleaning toilets, streets or even the worse of all a security guard is not stressful in America. Because is the whitemans soil wink

Well the fact is all those struggler's in the USA are just suffering !!!. Its an interesting routine. They work day and night, eat burgers (thinking its good food, some people in Nigeria envy them stupidly), pay their fees thats if they happen to be furthering their studies (which is quite rare, most of the time they lie), save some money, come back to Nigeria for holidays(if possible), spend the whole money extravagantly to show they are rich (which apparently they are not), Go broke, fly back to the USA and start back from square one.

Now many emphasized greener pastures, may i know the cost of living in the USA please? compare to even income an average School Cert Holder would get. From what i know its pittance and you really work day and night trying to earn a few thousands.

If you are going to the USA to futher your studies, and you can afford it, that is cool, but in the case that you happen to so called win the lottery which is another slavery in disguise, or struggle to eventually get a visa and move on to the USA . All i can say is, it is slavery, no matter how much lucky you become. You are slave, but a new generation slave , a paid slave, that is.

Why not stay in Nigeria and invest the money spent for getting the visa and undertaking the trip into a business or something worth doing. The business does not have to earn you dollars at the beginning, you might lose everything too, that is if the business doesn't go well, but the point is you have learned something, and you can become a better person in your own country. But even going bankrupt or penniless from a business is really rare in Nigeria !!. We are heavy consumers to goods and services, and i am sure there are a lot of things yet to be explored.

All i have to say is stay at home, and you would be glad you did.My friends would say leave home for greener pastures so that i can have more opportunities to explore at home wink
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by jogego(m): 5:39pm On Jun 04, 2005
I think we cant look at this topic without looking at the operating environments in Nigeria vis a vis the develope countries. The infrastructures are just there and taken for granted in the developed countries unlike Nigeria where such things as trains, water, electricity, telecomms etc are a luxury. For any potential entrepreneur with a good and viable business plan in Nigeria, you need to think about generating plants, water, telecommunications etc which add up to your capital cost unlike in other environments.

And I think its about time people need to erase the notion that every Nigerian abroad is doing some menial labor. Most Nigerians have very good jobs, have their own houses , good careers etc. Fine thier are people who do menial jobs but then getting to a new environment, you cannot just expect that things will start on a high for you. Its a matter of knowing what you want in life and deciding on how you will get their.

In any case, if working paying PAYE, NSITF,NHF and other goverment deductions in Nigeria without evidence of how such makes your life better is not a form of slavery, then I dont know what is.

1 Like

Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by kazey(m): 7:18am On Jun 05, 2005
jogego:

I think we cant look at this topic without looking at the operating environments in Nigeria vis a vis the develope countries.

Good Point raised, and thats more the reason why we should stay at home, and try to do something smiley Otherwise who would do it for us? He who runs away from a battle would live to fight it again smiley All this developed world that you see, The USA etc did not start building their infrastructure by waiting till the government does that, people started building from nothing to something, and thats what we are actually running away from, Is Building our own countries future!!. We Nigerians are just looking for the easy way out in everything.

jogego:

Most Nigerians have very good jobs, have their own houses , good careers etc.

Yes Nigerians have very good jobs , might own their own home and might have a good career cheesy but the issue here is how Nigerians? you said Most? grin Nigerians living abroad!!! I need your help on this issue please. Honest response would really be appreciated. Thank you.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by jogego(m): 12:48pm On Jun 05, 2005
I really do mean Nigerians abroad. While there are Nigerians who do menial labor, most of them are people who are just settling into the new environment, however, quite a good number of Nigerians abroad are comfortable.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by solo2(m): 5:39pm On Jun 05, 2005
They are going to where their talents will not be killed, a free society where people are being sponsored to develope their talents for the benefit of not only Americans but for the whole world.

1 Like

Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by IAH(f): 1:30pm On Jun 06, 2005
Most Nigerians abroad don't have good jobs, houses etc. That is the fact and Kazey is absolutely right. But the thing is that Nigerians living in Nigeria would never know because the Naijas abroad know how to cover up when they go home. If anybody is actually very successful, he/she wouldn't even think of going to Jand/Yankee to work...such people only go abroad, spend 2/3 weeks there and go home. Except, of course, students who might go there to study because of incessant strike actions in Nigerian schools. Working abroad is slavery! slavery!! slavery!!! Well, there are a few exceptions though.

1 Like

Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Chigszy(f): 4:46pm On Jun 08, 2005
Those people that think it is easier to make it big in american well i hate to burst your bubble but that is not the case. You have equally have got to work your ass off to make it in america. The funny thing is that alot of people not only nigerians think that going to america is the next best thing and that that completes your whole life journey?!! well some people back home are even better off than some people in america. the job market is not very promising at the moment. i mean but that depends on wht job the person has got thier mind in . the only thing about america is that when you finally make it big, you are able to see the fruit of your labour. but that is if most of your salary is not spent on paying government tax!!!! angry
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by naijajams: 7:58pm On Jun 10, 2005
jogego, you bring up some very good points. I think blanket statements like "it's easier here or there" are diffucult to back up because there are clearly exceptions.

Abroad life is not easy... in yankee there is good free public education through high school and state universities can be affordable... it's basically what u make of it.

Nobody can discount the fact that there has been a SERIOUS brain drain from Nigeria... people have left for vastly varrying reasons (education, saftey, jobs, more/different opportunities, etc) and those people are not all suffering abroad.

Imagine if all these people were to return ... Nigeria would be a vastly different place... imo it would start along the lines of development much like Malaysia (for example) has done in the last 20-30 years.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Greatpeter(m): 11:16pm On Jun 25, 2005
I am even Planning to go soonest.
But I wish to get settled down b4 moving.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by Banderas(m): 5:55pm On Jun 29, 2005
Nothing wrong with it, in my point of view.

Naijajams, if every nigerian outside were to come back, where wd they work? Where wd they live? On which roads wd the drive? What power supply wd they use?

I beg to differ, they wd prolly strain the existing resources, and not make things any better
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by sage(m): 8:51pm On Jul 05, 2005
y America. There r far better countries in terms of present economic situation. Finally, the grass alwayz looks greener on the other side but it usually is not.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by kazey(m): 9:03am On Jul 06, 2005
sage:

y America. There r far better countries in terms of present economic situation.

Good point. I am really amazed by some peoples responses in support for the motion. "Greener pastures"
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by bioye(m): 7:43pm On Aug 04, 2005
good points for and against. but in general, i think it's still betta to stay in naija. meanwhile, some of the people supposedly doing well in yankee are into fraudulent stuff, anyways. and why do nigerians expect someone else to make the country betta? are all humans not born equal? every nigerian has a responsibility to contribute to naija's development instead of just heaping blames. even obasanjo was born poor..
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by hotangel2(f): 5:27am On Aug 05, 2005
solo2:

They are going to where their talents will not be killed, a free society where people are being sponsored to develope their talents for the benefit of not only Americans but for the whole world.

That's it.

God bless you solo. That's the answer. I mean, that's just the answer. Can you not see it. Talents are being killed in Nigeria. I have a cousin, he is very good soccer player, his dad use to To BEAT him like a dog while he was in Nigeria because he went to play soccer. His dad would almost get the life out of him because his dad think kids that go out and play soccer instead of staying at home to read, are bad kids. (if your pikin head no carry book/school, abeg leave am make hin do something else now..nobe everyone dey go school).

Anyways to cut the story short, the guy came here to stay with his aunt and he went to high school(secondary school). He joined the soccer (football) team...he became the best player on the team (not one of the best ooo..I mean The best). They went for a match between their school and a never defeated school, and the boy got most of the goals and his school won the match. The guy got a full schorlarship to princeton. He was asked to go and study any course he wants. A Professional team is asking him to join them..but he says he wants to obey his dad and become a doctor..(he also wants to have his degree..he isn't doing this for his dad..but his dad kind of made him want to do it). He is in PRinceton now, and he's on a soccer team where he is.

Where is my point you ask?? My point is that, that boys life will never be as it is if he didn't leave Nigeria.

The boy is Hottt. w00t. just that he has no time for girls sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by kazey(m): 1:45pm On Aug 05, 2005
You don here her o. Oya make una pack ure bags, and head for USA, The land of opportunities. grin
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by hotangel2(f): 3:50am On Aug 06, 2005
BUt wait oo..come here the right way..if not ur life will be misrable.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by goodguy(m): 6:03pm On Sep 28, 2005
Lizzy has made an excellent comment which I think should keep everyone's mouth shut.
solo2:

I love this guy's comment. It is the major reason why people are moving to the US. If I have my way right now, I will take the next available flight to Texas or Hawaii grin
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by layi(m): 1:17am On Sep 29, 2005
I'll have to support solo's point of view.
Talents can't grow in Nigeria. Infact the Nigerian system is a talent killer.
I've got only 1 life to live...i wont allow it to waste. When i came into this world, i didnt come as a nigerian. I came as an innocent beign going into the world to become somebody. I was only 'unfortunate' to be born here (where things hardly work).
If i have the opportunity to move out i will but like said..i wont go blindly...but rather prepared.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by omon(m): 9:02pm On Sep 29, 2005
In case you don't know...'yankee hard oo!! The problem with us in Naija is the belief that other countries are better than us. If some travels to Sudan only to come back and lie that it is bread and butter there, you will see people jumping to go there. Yankee hard!!!
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by hotangel2(f): 12:28am On Sep 30, 2005
yankee hard.. But e no hard reach Nigeria. Even a new born baby know say Hope dey for yankee.. infact hope is anywhere but Nigeria (okay dat's a lie). I aint saying nigeria is flat out bad. I am just saying.. You know the rest.

2 Likes

Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by kazey(m): 10:27am On Sep 30, 2005
You are misinformed. Nigeria is a lovely place to live and have fun.
Re: So Many Young Men in Nigeria Planning to go to the US by omon(m): 2:27pm On Sep 30, 2005
Hey Angel, I do understand it is easier in SOME yankee countries than Naija, but the perseption of many is that they can just travel abroad without working hard to make money - that is the point I am trying to make. I have known of people who have equally worked hard in Naija and are making big time!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

LASTMA Announces Closure Of Ahmadu Bello Way, Suggests Alternative Routes / Any Nigerian In Bulgaria / 29 Killed As Uganda Party Boat Capsizes On Lake Victoria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.