Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,840 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:59 PM

A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. (11553 Views)

What Job Can I Get With A Pass Degree In Maths/Statistics? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by Mbkite(m): 8:54am On Jan 13, 2017
I first taught Mathematics while I was waiting for NYSC in 2010 and during my NYSC I taught some Engineering courses in the polytechnic I served. Currently, I am a practising Engineer. I won't say I don't really enjoy my job as an Engineer but, I have discovered over time that I have a keen interest in teaching Mathematics. I really wish to go back to class room to teach mathematics but you know teacher's salary is not encouraging. I love to teach mathematics and don't mind doing it for free alongside my job but, NO TIME.
I need an advise on how to go about this. I need to go back to what I love doing.
Patiently waiting for your responses.
Thanks.

lalasticlala, please I need input. Assist me.

5 Likes

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by BlessedHay(m): 10:25am On Jan 13, 2017
Mbkite:
I first taught Mathematics while I was waiting for NYSC in 2010 and during my NYSC I taught some Engineering courses in the polytechnic I served. Currently, I am a practising Engineer. I won't say I don't really enjoy my job as an Engineer but, I have discovered over time that I have a keen interest in teaching Mathematics. I really wish to go back to class room to teach mathematics but you know teacher's salary is not encouraging. I love to teach mathematics and don't mind doing it for free alongside my job but, NO TIME.
I need an advise on how to go about this. I need to go back to what I love doing.
Thanks.

i applaud you passion, Damn, its really encouraging that you see that you could help the young ones with your mathematics skill, well the advice i will give is that, you start with what you have in where you are to be in a place where u want to belong, i have many questions to ask so as to help advice you in the little way i can, i teach, an HND graduate of electrical engineering and i would rather teach than an engineering job. So please buzz me via whatsapp, my number is by my signature, i would really love to get to talking with you soon. Thanks, my name is Adewale

1 Like

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by Mbkite(m): 11:15am On Jan 13, 2017
BlessedHay:
i applaud you passion, Damn, its really encouraging that you see that you could help the young ones with your mathematics skill, well the advice i will give is that, you start with what you have in where you are to be in a place where u want to belong, i have many questions to ask so as to help advice you in the little way i can, i teach, an HND graduate of electrical engineering and i would rather teach than an engineering job. So please buzz me via whatsapp, my number is by my signature, i would really love to get to talking with you soon. Thanks, my name is Adewale

Thanks much bro

1 Like

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 14, 2017
OP, I share your passion but field work is too demanding.
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 14, 2017
Do wht ever makes you happy.
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by TeleboiZ005(m): 10:16am On Jan 14, 2017
J
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by MrHighSea: 10:16am On Jan 14, 2017
Engineering rock

1 Like

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by idris4r83(m): 10:17am On Jan 14, 2017
Likewise myself, I love teaching chemistry but there's no time for that. I can teach chemistry for free and I've developed methods overtime for simplifying chemistry to aid understanding. But my work has made it impossible to impact this knowledge to people. The thing is government need to make teaching as lucrative as any other big profession and sound minds won't bother earning a livelihood from teaching. If doctors, engineers and bankers will be collecting over 100k per month I wonder what stops teachers from earning the same.

6 Likes

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by Blizzy9ja: 10:18am On Jan 14, 2017
Bros na lack of serious work dey worry u... if you find a good engineering job where ur maths skill is put to test on a daily basis, u go tire 4 classroom

16 Likes

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by engrMikemd(m): 10:18am On Jan 14, 2017
find a good school around you and start teaching your dear maths

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by engrMikemd(m): 10:19am On Jan 14, 2017
Blizzy9ja:
Bros na unemployment dey worry u
i think so too
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by manny4life(m): 10:19am On Jan 14, 2017
Mbkite:
Thanks.

Unfortunately, passion does not put food on the table, neither does it pay your rent, nor does it take care of out-of-pocket expenses. You answered your own question, you can partly tutor in your free time. Other than than, please don't ever think of leaving your job for something "passionate", because someone is right there to fill in your position. Gone are the days we did something we loved, survival first.

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by richyfunky(m): 10:19am On Jan 14, 2017
Money pays the bills, not passion, make alot of money first, then you can fully follow ur teaching passion without regrets
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by goodbobo: 10:19am On Jan 14, 2017
Start a maths club in ur neighbourhood . Start by teaching the kids for free at weekends u dont have to quite ur job . After some time u can now introduce fees

18 Likes

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by ademasta(m): 10:19am On Jan 14, 2017
Great
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by Nobody: 10:20am On Jan 14, 2017
Take a lecturing job.

1 Like

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by Nobody: 10:24am On Jan 14, 2017
You already know what to expect if you leave engineering and choose to teach.
And you said you're too busy to teach maths on the side.

so, make your decision.

or what advice do you want exactly

1 Like

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by luscioustrish(f): 10:24am On Jan 14, 2017
goodbobo:
Start a maths club in ur neighbourhood . Start by teaching the kids for free at weekends u dont have to quite ur job . After some time u can now introduce fees

I concur
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by lonelydora: 10:25am On Jan 14, 2017
Op, why not take a lecturing job? You will excel in it.

Now, this is what I call Passion.

1 Like

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by femi4: 10:26am On Jan 14, 2017
Mbkite:
Thanks.

I was once in your shoe but greener pasture made me forgot my teaching skills and followed engineering practice
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by igraman(m): 10:26am On Jan 14, 2017
Lol @ Money pay bills not passion.

So be wise in ur decisions Sir.
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by larrymoore(m): 10:28am On Jan 14, 2017
you can as well do it for profit if you have the time ready for the task which may require energy and time.
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by SEOManiac: 10:29am On Jan 14, 2017
Village flashing...

2 Likes

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by jayAjoku(m): 10:31am On Jan 14, 2017
well dude here's the Answer continue working then at your Spare time gather Children around your neighborhood and teach them maths for free it would do you and the community a world of Good also give help with books and Good textbooks with your salary or spare cash ...

That's the Kingdom of God coming out from you
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by ceo12: 10:31am On Jan 14, 2017
ma nigga, those small small pino pino for secondary school don enter your head abi? continue...in mama peace voice
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by moneylords(m): 10:35am On Jan 14, 2017
Like my oga here who is a Physics teacher as well as Engineer.
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by funmaths17: 10:40am On Jan 14, 2017
Do you need private maths lesson for your children/wards in abeokuta? Send a mail to funmaths17@gmail.com
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by egopersonified(f): 10:41am On Jan 14, 2017
Is there a way you can teach online? Or teach for an hour every Sunday evening at a location, I believe public schools or churches can allow you use their premises.
Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by hahn(m): 10:42am On Jan 14, 2017
Mbkite:
Thanks.

This can be a tricky situation.

I would advice you start "teaching" mathematics part time.

You can offer maths lessons to interested students, that way you only do it in your spare time, like during the weekends and will definitely earn more if you target areas populated by the rich.

You can create video tutorials, create a website and market online. This way, you would be making passive income while staying committed to your engineering job till you earn enough that you feel you can let go of your engineering career.

You also have to consider that to achieve true financial independence you have to have at least 4-5 streams of income. View maths as an extra source of income and apply the strategies I suggested.

Good luck

2 Likes

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by codemaniacs: 10:46am On Jan 14, 2017
k

1 Like

Re: A Practising Engineer But, So Passionate About Teaching Maths In High School. by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 14, 2017
Mbkite:
Thanks.

It's natural to want to teach maths or sciences as am Engineering student. Because quite frankly most engineering students are sharper in maths than naturally trained teachers. My further Mathematics Teacher was a part-time ; he shuttled between his power station and my school every week. My Physics teacher was a control engineer in the same power station. And quite frankly they handled the subjects better than my General Mathematics Teacher who had a M.Ed in mathematics. Infact those too men inspired me to read Engineering. Mathematics and physics are rice and beans for any serious Eng student.

But don't, and I repeat, don't let that fool Into full teaching. It's an under appreciated profession. Unless you can do what my Physics and Further Mathematics Teachers did- combine teaching with ur normal job. Else it ain't worth it.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

KPMG Aptitude Test 2021 / IT Placement: Where Did You Do Yours / 5 Great Passive Income Ideas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.