Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously (2486 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Disbelieve T.B Joshua, Chris Okafor's Miracles? See Reasons / Should We Start Taking TB Joshua Seriously? / Why Do Nigerians Seek Spiritual Remedy To Most Of Their Problems? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by Dios(f): 8:41am On Jan 13, 2007
Nigerians are apt to attribute every bad that happens to them to the devil and everything good to the Lord or Jesus and so on. Considering the fact that the guy was a jew and his story sometimes seems farfetched just like the stories of Sango,Orunmila,osun and all our indigenous gods, why do y'all latch on to every word your clergymen preach to y'all.
Before we were colonised we had our culture and way of worship to get closer to the "Supreme Being", so what makes what the british brought better than ours, the Hindus never fell for that crap afterall, they still worship their monkey gods and whatnot(though I find that ridiculous).
Y'all always talking about pray and fast for the country, whatever nigga, what Nigeria needs is real people who are prepared to face the facts on the ground and start getting rid of all the greedy bastards who steal y'all money every f*cking day, clergymen and imams included. Stop spending all that tithes on the freaking church and find a way to use to better your life because the church done become a hustle for these people and if one y'all say my pastor won't like, my pastor said, my pastor feels, I'ma just shoot myself, forget your pastor and all his crap about going to hell, hell and heaven can be found right here on earth if you just open your eyes. I love my people and their passion but I just can't stand their dependence on the church and the mosque, it's high time we just grab life by the horns and takle back whats ours, we are a nation of kings and queens not followers. Maybe I sound crazy, demented or just bored but think about. Yea I'm the antichrist grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by sage(m): 9:11am On Jan 13, 2007
oya make una answer grin cheesy tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by Thor(m): 9:54am On Jan 13, 2007
The more downtrodden and desperate people are, the more they have to cling to something to give them the will to carry on and provide a glimmer of hope for a better future.

Most Countries where people are poor and have little or no prospects are very religious. Nearly all African states, most of South America, India, and nearly all Arab nations.

It is one of the reasons why religion still survives. If you really stop for one minute and think what people are agreeing to beleive in? The religious stories are based on absolute incredulous, fabricated stories. Invisible men living above the clouds, a God who can see everything that everybody does 24/7 :-) Heaven, Hell, Angels and Demons!

There is nothing supernatural about religion. It is a man made product. It thrives in areas where people are living like animals, in filth and squalor without prospects for a future.

The problem is that many of these poor people live under the aprehension that "God' is going to help them out of their predicament. The truth is that the invisible man is not watching you, and is not going to help you.

YOU CAN ONLY HELP YOURSELF IN THIS LIFE! DON'T WASTE YOUR PRECIOUS TIME WAITING FOR SOMETHING THAT IS NOT THERE :-)

Peace
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by mrpataki(m): 10:05am On Jan 13, 2007
Whats the point speaking my mind here.
Guess every thread is not meant for the right response. Goodluck in your search for ignorance!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by Dios(f): 11:15am On Jan 13, 2007
Mr Pataki just answer the question, don't come in here and say I'm ignorant. Better yet go to church, biatch or stay under the rock and may it squash u "in jesus' name" amen. smiley

@thor Invisible men grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by TV01(m): 1:40pm On Jan 13, 2007
Because it at once fills a void and serves as a vehicle for their hope (lessness?). Without hope the spirit of many in Nigeria would be crushed by the sheer grind and privation of day to day life.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by TV01(m): 1:43pm On Jan 13, 2007
Because religion is a massive con and generates hyper-profits for the hucksters & charlatans behind it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by TV01(m): 1:48pm On Jan 13, 2007
Because its a sign of the times as prophesied in the Bible. Nigeria is just a case in question. End times, end game. And those who know their God_______
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by Thor(m): 1:49pm On Jan 13, 2007
@TV01

You have hit the nail on the head. It is about the manipulation of poor people.

Manipulation = Profit $$$$
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by kimba(m): 12:15am On Jan 14, 2007
I wouldn't use the word SERIOUS with the generality of the Nigerian attitude to their faith.

Perhaps it will be right to say that just as there is so much truth, there is so much error and those perpetratiing such errors box it up with a lot of things to make it look like the truth. For the fact that a lot of people cant read in between the lines and are looking for short-cuts to get out of poverty, they do whatever they are told to do, hoping that some miracle will happen, which hasnt and never will.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by Horus(m): 1:54pm On Aug 15, 2009
Religion is too much overated in Nigeria. Any African who is a captive to religion is not in his or her right mind, because religion is a product of mankind for mankind's ultimate aims. Wooly-Haired African People are slaves to alien culture, that is why we wear other races’ names, claim other races' religions, histories, and others identities. We can never be liberated as long as we do this.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:07pm On Aug 15, 2009
it is not just Nigerians, it is everyone everywhere, it is from all the high we get from smoking it daily.

[b]Religion is the opiate of the people [/b]KARL MARX

Muslims, CHristians, others bathe in it daily, it forms 99% of what is discussed on Nairaland, that is why it all seems like everyone is at a beer parlour on Friday night, we are all high on rligion we forget to do what God asked simply
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by ramonacee(f): 11:32am On Aug 19, 2009
Because its a mind control tool. angry
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by muhsin(m): 11:54am On Aug 19, 2009
I don't know.

Maybe we are just created so by the God.

Who knows exactly?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by Tudor6(f): 12:47pm On Aug 19, 2009
Nigerians are just bloody stupid.
Just look at the christians, they even claim to know more than the white man who sold them the jesus lie in the first place!
Even the bloody nigerian muslims are now more islamic than the arabs!
What these illiterates do not know is that islam is just arab culture and education disguised as a religion. . .you look at a typical nigerian muslim and you don't know whether the goon is from kano or sudan. . .damn!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by banom(m): 1:09pm On Aug 19, 2009
If you people dont want to worship, you should leave us alone, religion is good to our country nigeria, without religion, our country could have been full of , occult ,con men,bad leaders, prostitutes,armed robbers and hopeless people, but bacause we have two great religions Christianity and islam who redeemed us from all thos evil above, we are leaving happy life,

God bless our dear country Nigeria.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by PastorAIO: 1:16pm On Aug 19, 2009
Why do nigerians take religion so seriously?

. . . Because everything else in their life is a joke!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by muhsin(m): 1:51pm On Aug 19, 2009
Tudór:

Nigerians are just bloody stupid.
Just look at the christians, they even claim to know more than the white man who sold them the jesus lie in the first place!
Even the bloody nigerian muslims are now more islamic than the arabs!
What these illiterates do not know is that islam is just arab culture and education disguised as a religion. . .you look at a typical nigerian muslim and you don't know whether the goon is from kano or sudan. . .damn!

Can't you ever without either name calling or swearing words?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by Tudor6(f): 2:48pm On Aug 19, 2009
muhsin:

Can't you ever without either name calling or swearing words?
This just confirms my earlier thoughts that you are an illiterate.
Where did i call names or use swear words?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by Krayola2(m): 3:23pm On Aug 19, 2009
Dios:

Before we were colonised we had our culture and way of worship to get closer to the "Supreme Being", so what makes what the british brought better than ours, the Hindus never fell for that crap afterall, they still worship their monkey gods and whatnot(though I find that ridiculous).

Hindus do not worship a "Monkey God". . . Hindu's believe "God" can not be defined.  They believe in one supreme God that is beyond the grasp of the human mind. Hinduism is very misunderstood, and a lot of the stuff people think about Hindu practices are inaccurate. They believe God is everywhere and in everything . . . In humans, animals as well as in objects. . . so when they bow to a statue, they are not worshipping a statue. .  (the same way catholics do not worship an image of the pope, and Christians to not worship the cross on their necklace, or the bottle on "annointing" oil in their purse). They are just avatars, some of which represent the  characters in stories (myths) that are part of their tradition. Some are more popular than others, and anyone is free to make up their own avatar. They are symbolic. . 

Hinduism is a tradition, like Judaism, and was only defined as we know it by the British. It was never one religion, or tradition, but different forms of practice with similar features that the British just piled into one and called Hinduism. Kinda like they came to Africa and just grouped a bunch of tribes together and named them countries without being sensitive to what their history was.

I agree with the rest of ur post tho . . .
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by PastorAIO: 4:38pm On Aug 19, 2009
hanuman

http://www.chitrahaar.com/wldofind/wallpapers/hanuman/LordHanuman%20(12).jpg

I agree with the rest of ur post though . . .
tongue
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by Krayola2(m): 5:15pm On Aug 19, 2009
haha. some of those things are really creepy looking.

Isn't that a  character from one of their epics?. . . Just like Krishna, Rama, Varaha.  I think the top dawg in hindu mythology is Vishnu or Shiva (depending on tradition), which is kinda like an attempt to articulate the concept of the Brahman - "the unchanging, infinite, immanent, and transcendent reality which is the Divine Ground of all matter, energy, time, space, being, and everything beyond in this Universe in the Hindu religion". So they (Vishnu, Shiva) are kinda like God taking physical form. . .kinda like Christians understand Jesus.

In Hinduism, the christian Jesus would be seen as just an avatar.  When Christians first tried to export Christinity to India, they were shocked to see how open minded and welcoming the Hindus were. Hindus were used to having tonnes of "objects" of worship so one new one wasn't a big deal. It was when they realized they were supposed to abandon all the others that wahala started.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:31pm On Aug 19, 2009
Because a lot of Nigerians are intellectually bankrupt
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by CowMeat: 11:41pm On Aug 19, 2009
@because nigerians are used to over doing & abusing things.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by richjohn1(m): 2:03pm On Aug 20, 2009
Because we like magic, miracle and instant success grin we dont like going through process sad but to be sincere any one in dire situation really needs to cling to one hope or the other whether reliable or unreliable and that's the situation nigerians find themselves
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by RiffRaff: 2:19pm On Aug 20, 2009
Poverty, profiteering, miracle seeking, fear of hell, illitracy, make believe, loves jewish & arabic fable & d most especially intellectual bankrupcy.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by manmustwac(m): 5:51pm On Aug 20, 2009
@riff raff
@chrisbenogor
what do u guys actually mean by intellectually bankrupt?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by opuro(m): 6:05pm On Aug 20, 2009
walahi if no be religion
and the believe that there is a God somewhere watching
nna the world for don end.
all the poor ppl you see that seems so jentle for don show say dem craze pass ANINI!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by mamagee6(f): 6:57pm On Aug 21, 2009
We fear for our souls, that's why we take religion so serious. cool
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by IYANGBALI: 8:41pm On Aug 21, 2009
because we are gullible,we believe everything we are told we be mumu
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by mdblkmale: 9:04pm On Aug 21, 2009
1, fear
2, lack of knowledge
3, human nature to belive something higher than them
4, other stuff that makes us human do stupid thing
i dont know what i belive anymore. i use to be a die hard bornagain. since my knowledge of the world and church has increase. i think am half God half world
Re: Why Do Nigerians Take Religion So Seriously by otokx(m): 8:23am On Aug 22, 2009
Lack of akonuche (thinking faculty)

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Pastors Not Ressurect The Dead To Life? / Why Are Women Made Inferior To Men In Islam? / Open Thread For Lovers Of Bro Gbile Akanni

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.