Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,232 members, 7,807,767 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:48 PM

Inciteful Statement: Bishop David Oyedepo Must Be Called To Order - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Inciteful Statement: Bishop David Oyedepo Must Be Called To Order (58983 Views)

Deborah Eneche Called To Bar (Photos) / Joys Oyedepo Celebrates Her Birthday (Bishop David Oyedepo's Last Born) / Picture Of Bishop David Oyedepo Saves Lady From 30 Robbers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Inciteful Statement: Bishop David Oyedepo Must Be Called To Order by DMLords: 9:10am On Jan 17, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

First, RIP to your dead! I am deeply concerned

Secondly, I don't think it was cool.to say such of Jesus. However, I'm not saying you shouldn't defend yourselves but please, let's not drag Christianity into it.

Be assured of my prayers, love and support

Thank you for your reply

Sorry about the statement. it was wrong of me to drag Jesus and your mother into the conversation. i reacted in the heat of the moment and I don't know how to delete my comment on nairaland.

So I will just apologize to all Christians and Non Christians, Nigerians and non Nigerians here. I'll make a thread containing my full apology. God's willing!

cc. PMIcon
Re: Inciteful Statement: Bishop David Oyedepo Must Be Called To Order by giddy01: 8:16pm On Jan 20, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
By TonyeBarcanista

I read the well publicized article in which respected Bishop David Oyedepo of Winners Chapel called for the killing and sliding of throats of potential Muslims/Fulani attackers. In the words of Oyedepo

“You catch anyone that looks like them, kill him! There is no reporting to anybody. Kill him! Pull off his neck! And we spill his blood on the ground. What nonsense.”

Bishop Oyedepo Views Against Christian Doctrine:
The call by Bishop Oyedepo with due respect goes contrary to the Christian teachings going by what is recorded in the Bible as well as Bible teaching on how Christians should live.

Firstly, Jesus, our perfect example displayed it when in the book of Matthew 26:52, he condemned Apostle Peter for cutting off the ears of one of the servants of the High Priest that went to arrest him, named Malchus. Jesus not only healed the servant but admonished Peter that "for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword."

The action of Jesus Christ in the above story was in line with his teaching in the Mountain as recorded in Matthew 5:44, where he said But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;, as against "an eye for an eye" treatment that was practised by the Judaisers under the Mosaic law that was never perfect.

His disciples and the Christian Church lived according to this teaching by not retaliating even in the height of persecution during the Roman empire that saw Apostles Paul beheaded, Peter crucified under Emperor Nero, and other members of the early Church die violent deaths under the rule of Roman emperors. In fact, during that period, God showed John the beloved revelation of the last day BUT never did he empower him to retaliate or kill.

If Jesus Christ and the early Church stuck to Christian doctrine, where did Bishop Oyedepo got his own authority?

What Makes Us Christians:
The believers were first called Christians in Antioch because they displayed the rare characters of Jesus Christ. If this is true, it is safe that the thing that made us Christians is our leading of the life of Christ, not that of any man irrespective of title. If we can't be like Christ and heed to his teachings then we have no business calling ourselves Christians. Jesus stance against retaliating to the oppressing Romans made the Jews to prefer him to die instead of the violent Barnabas. We must be like Christ by insisting on non violence.

If Apostle James could admonished the early Church that was facing trials of various kind because of their faith to "count it all joy", how much more us?

His Call Against Nigeria Law:
Despite the fact that we have choose to accept our society to be lawless, the law of Nigeria is clearly against incite to kill fellow citizens and residents, as well as taking laws into ones hands aka self help.

The only authority empowered to bring defaulters of the law to justice is the Police and other agents of the State. No citizen has that power. As citizen, it is our civil duty to avail the Police and other security agents information to arrest criminals potential criminals and their activities. While jungle justice is usually employed by citizens due to ineptitude of the authorities, it never made the act right. But for one to incite the gruesome killing of people that "appear" as attackers and not just attackers, it is unfortunate. statement like “You catch anyone that looks like them, kill him!” must be condemned by all, and without partiality.

If these statements were made by Asari Dokubo or Nnamdi Kanu, I am very sure that the authorities won't take it lightly. The law must respect nobody irrespective of perceived standing in the society.

Statements Endangering Christians And Non Christians:
BEfore any war is fought, there is usually inciting statements from so called leaders. The statements credited to some Muslim groups and clerics, as well as this credited to Governor Elrufai and Bishop Oyedepo is what fuels sectarian violence in Nigeria. Truth is, should there be violence (like we have in Southern Kaduna), it is ONLY the defenceless innocent that get killed, while the elites and their families are fully secured. Nigerians, both Christians and Muslims must understand that the elite are never enemies irrespective of their noise in the media.

The statement of Oyedepo is capable of causing counter statement from some Islamic leaders and attack on citizens will start. The statement is not different from those of Abubakar Shekau or other extremists like Miyetti leaders and some other muslim fanatical clergies.

I condemn the genocide in Southern Kaduna, it is my belief that agents of Kaduna state government as well leaders of Miyetti Allah are complicit in this shameful killing. It is my hope that a case is established against perpetrators of the violence to higher authorities (like the ICC), but it does not in anyway justify incitement against anybody or group of persons.

As Christians we must adhere STRICTLY to Christian doctrine and not apostasy! Bishop David Oyedepo must be called to order.

I shall end this with the Words of Apostle Paul to the Church in Ephesus when the Church was under persecution in the book of Ephesians 6:12;

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

May God Bless Us All And Bless Nigeria

Shared on Palmchat

Be that as it may, it is "bad" because it was coming from a renowned man of God. But truth be told, the continuous assaults on Christians in Nigeria and elsewhere is because Muslims know that the Christians always turn the other cheek. Christians should be prepared to defend themselves anytime. We do not have responsible government that cares about the lives of its citizenry. It's high time Christians arise, pray and be prepared to give back to others the same medicine they're getting. Remember, Israel once said that never again will they be messed with as during Hitler's genocide. Now you commit suicide if you attack any Israeli.
Re: Inciteful Statement: Bishop David Oyedepo Must Be Called To Order by Ubenedictus(m): 6:30pm On Jan 21, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

I think it was an exaggeration possibly because he was overwhelmed with emotions ;its very painful . But the righteous and acceptable thing to do is to defend yourself using any means not reprisal attacks . Defend yourself . Do you agree ?
I have no problem with self defence but If a man in self-defense uses more than necessary violence, it will be unlawful: whereas if he repels force with moderation, his defense will be lawful. . . ., asking that anyone who LOOKS LIKE an enemy be killed and the case kept from law enforcement in insane and inciting and should never come from a cleric. that isnt just self defense it is murder and coverup.
Re: Inciteful Statement: Bishop David Oyedepo Must Be Called To Order by Ubenedictus(m): 6:35pm On Jan 21, 2017
Factualase:

Do you look like? Bro don't be naive if these hausa-fulani start their evil, they wouldn't want to know whether you are Christian or traditionalist in as much you don't belong to them they see as an enemy. Look at what happen in akwa ibom some few days back.
So the solution to senseless violence is senseless murder. you dont care if he is guilty so far he looks like them.

may GOd not allow someone kill u because he thinks u look like them.
Re: Inciteful Statement: Bishop David Oyedepo Must Be Called To Order by Ubenedictus(m): 6:43pm On Jan 21, 2017
KaptainAfrika:
Did you read what I wrote?

"JUST WAR" is defensive in nature.

It is not offensive in nature, that is, you don't attack first, but in response to an attack, you defend yourself. The purpose of this defensive action, is to stop an attack, with the result that the attack is stopped.
I asked u if u know d principles of a just war. let me enumerate them.
"1. the damage inflicted by the
aggressor on the nation or community of nations must be lasting, grave, and certain;
2. all other means of putting an end to it must have been shown to be impractical or ineffective;
3. there must be serious prospects
of success;
4. the use of arms must not produce evils and disorders graver than the evil to be eliminated. The
power of modern means of destruction weighs very heavily in
evaluating this condition".

be careful when u appeal to the just war theory. not all defensive wars are just.
Re: Inciteful Statement: Bishop David Oyedepo Must Be Called To Order by KaptainAfrika: 8:00pm On Jan 21, 2017
Not all defensive wars are just, really? that's like saying there are times, when defending yourself against attack, is unjust. I approached the "just war theory" from the angle of defending one's self, from unprovoked attack the examples, i have in mind, in recent history are: the Arab-Israeli conflict of 1948, 1967 and 1973; US response to Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbour in 1941; UK and France declaring war on Germany for invading Poland in 1939.
I am not restricting myself to the traditional definitions of the "just war theory".

Ubenedictus:
I asked u if u know d principles of a just war. let me enumerate them.
"1. the damage inflicted by the
aggressor on the nation or community of nations must be lasting, grave, and certain;
2. all other means of putting an end to it must have been shown to be impractical or ineffective;
3. there must be serious prospects
of success;
4. the use of arms must not produce evils and disorders graver than the evil to be eliminated. The
power of modern means of destruction weighs very heavily in
evaluating this condition".

be careful when u appeal to the just war theory. not all defensive wars are just.
Re: Inciteful Statement: Bishop David Oyedepo Must Be Called To Order by Gbengageorge: 12:38pm On Jan 23, 2017
It is hightime Christians prepare for assaults, while they were building the walls in the old testament, they had sword in one hand while they build with the other. I think that is the next action for Christians.

giddy01:

Be that as it may, it is "bad" because it was coming from a renowned man of God. But truth be told, the continuous assaults on Christians in Nigeria and elsewhere is because Muslims know that the Christians always turn the other cheek. Christians should be prepared to defend themselves anytime. We do not have responsible government that cares about the lives of its citizenry. It's high time Christians arise, pray and be prepared to give back to others the same medicine they're getting. Remember, Israel once said that never again will they be messed with as during Hitler's genocide. Now you commit suicide if you attack any Israeli.
Re: Inciteful Statement: Bishop David Oyedepo Must Be Called To Order by Ubenedictus(m): 11:19pm On Jan 23, 2017
KaptainAfrika:
Not all defensive wars are just, really? that's like saying there are times, when defending yourself against attack, is unjust. I approached the "just war theory" from the angle of defending one's self, from unprovoked attack the examples, i have in mind, in recent history are: the Arab-Israeli conflict of 1948, 1967 and 1973; US response to Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbour in 1941; UK and France declaring war on Germany for invading Poland in 1939.
I am not restricting myself to the traditional definitions of the "just war theory".
There are actually times when defending urself can be immoral in war, that is where d idea of a just war comes in.

A defensive war is just only when:
1. All avenues for peace has been exhaust.
2. The force of response is moderate and doesnt exceed the evils to be exterminated
3. The proposed war must have a chance for success.

if u must evoke d just ware theory then use it well.

self defence shouldnt be arbitrary.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

#BibleStudyWithKumuyi ||Passionate Importunate Prayer For Pure Practical Wisdom / Names Of Kidnapped RCCG Pastors: Chidioze Eluwa, Chiemela Iroha, Okoro Ohowukwe / Apostle Chibuzor Chinyere Gifts Ex-Prostitute House As Wedding Gift

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.