Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,035 members, 7,807,103 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:34 AM

Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria (4868 Views)

Luxury Buses Banned In Kano State As Traders Lament / Iran Plane Crash: The victims Of Ukraine Flight By Nationality / What Nationality Is Given To A Baby Born On A Plane? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by TWoods(m): 10:46pm On Jan 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

Thank you for your insightful post but I have issues with the bolded statement. Let's take India as an example, their government doesn't allow dual nationality and we can see how the Indians act in business especially. They travel to other countries, establish businesses but a good number of then they maintain their nationality as Indians

Because of this they send money back home to establish their families, some of them don't even open bank accounts in their countries of residence instead they are paid into their Indian accounts but live on estates instead.

What this means is that their economy often benefits from this positively.

Isn't this an obvious advantage that can possibly happen if we also practice this

hmmm false. Indians in first world nations can't wait to dump their Indian passports. You need to visit trackitt.com. Thousands of Indians there moaning about not being able to get US LPR/citizenship status quickly enough. Yes the Indians in Nigeria prefer to keep their indian passports... why would they "downgrade" to a Nigerian passport?

This is the simplest argument against keeping a Nigerian passport - the fact that you have to apply for a visa to every single country! Even Gabon! Why would i want to put myself through the pain, cost and uncertainty of endless visa applications, renewals etc. with a green passport when i can simply buy a ticket and fly tomorrow with a US, British or Canadian passport? Even the most patriotic Nigerian knows which makes most sense.

3 Likes

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jan 15, 2017
bebe2:
Well, dat might actually be to some people's advantage. Those that struggle to decide if to just live the rest of their lives in western countries where they are currently settled or shud they come home to chaos in their heir retirement age.

Personally wen my 85yr old mum passed ,what will be in Nigeria for me?

How am I going to convince children who were born and bred abroad to come home and settle or am I going to live my 70s alone without seeing my kids and grand kids ?

Stopping dual citizenship will help in making a quick decision as to where one shud settle.

I'm assuming your kids are below 10years old? It amazes me that you feel Nigeria will still be a gloomy chaotic place even when your children reach retirement age. This means you don't think Nigeria will ever improve, smh

Let's pray your kids won't put you in a retirement home by the time you get old as this seems to be what many Western cultures encourage. Over there it seems hardly anyone wants to be burdened with an elderly parent who they have to take care of, the worse is if you are sick or (God forbid) have dementia.

There are still some things to cherish here, especially care of the elderly but I do understand how it is going to be almost impossible to expect your kids to even want to visit here after their grandma passes (wishing her more years ahead)
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:30pm On Jan 15, 2017
TWoods:

Bad leadership (choosing presidents by quota rather than competency), tribalism, corruption...

Not true. But its hard to contribute to helping Nigeria when the vast majority of Nigerians don't think they have a problem. Just look at the number of crooks here seeking to go abroad to "hustle".

This makes zero sense to me. Nigerians living abroad have families and friends that are also Nigerians, hence they have a need to keep up with news about Nigeria. Nigerian dishes are not restricted to Nigerians living in Nigeria alone. As far as i'm concerned, this is a petty argument.

Here is the point... look around you in Nigeria, then ask yourself why anyone in his/her right senses would choose to live in Nigeria if they have the choice to live in a first world nation. Would you? Be honest...

I believe people like Dangote, Otedola, Ifeanyi Uba, Tony Elumelu, Linda Ikeji, Seun Osewa and many more folks who are not as popular as the above mentioned can all actually chose to live in 'first world' countries with the money they've got, I also believe they are all in their right senses but they have chosen to make Nigeria their home.

There are some quiet wealthy folks down here who are not politicians, people who shuttle from Canada to UK to US to Europe and back to Nigeria on business trips and even vacation. I don't know their secret yet but I pray to find out one day
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by TWoods(m): 11:32pm On Jan 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

I'm assuming your kids are below 10years old? It amazes me that you feel Nigeria will still be a gloomy chaotic place even when your children reach retirement age. This means you don't think Nigeria will ever improve, smh

Let's pray your kids won't put you in a retirement home by the time you get old as this seems to be what many Western cultures encourage. Over there it seems hardly anyone wants to be burdened with an elderly parent who they have to take care of, the worse is if you are sick or (God forbid) have dementia.

There are still some things to cherish here, especially care of the elderly but I do understand how it is going to be almost impossible to expect your kids to even want to visit here after their grandma passes (wishing her more years ahead)

huh? I know many Nigerians and Americans whose parents live with them permanently. It is not true that western cultures encourage you to put your old parents in a retirement home... this occurs because there are welfare schemes in place that allow older folks to live as independently as possible until they are no longer able to. Social security ensures they get a pay check for life as soon as they turn 65. Medicare ensures they get all the medical care they get for extremely cheap. This can include having a nurse that comes to check on them daily, or a home of their own in hospice care if needed. Why throw away these benefits just because you want your parents to live with you?

Lets be frank, in Nigeria, our parents live with us BECAUSE THEIR IS NO OTHER CHOICE! It is either that or they starve to death in a nondescript home (if they aren't already homeless). Its not because we have a culture of taking care of our parents more than others.

I've read through your previous posts and its clearer to me that your motivation isn't really that you love Nigeria, you are simply grasping for anything positive about Nigeria to make you feel better, since you cannot immigrate legally. If you had a choice, you would leave Nigeria in a heartbeat.

8 Likes

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by TWoods(m): 11:35pm On Jan 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

I believe people like Dangote, Otedola, Ifeanyi Uba, Tony Elumelu, Linda Ikeji, Seun Osewa and many more folks who are not as popular as the above mentioned can all actually chose to live in 'first world' countries with the money they've got, I also believe they are all in their right senses but they have chosen to make Nigeria their home.

There are some quiet wealthy folks down here who are not politicians, people who shuttle from Canada to UK to US to Europe and back to Nigeria on business trips and even vacation. I don't know their secret yet but I pray to find out one day

There is no secret... they are simply thieves and beneficiaries of a corrupt system of government. Linda Ikeji and Seun Osewa are simply one-offs. They luckily stumbled on a means of making money via the web. For every Nairaland, how many other web forums are there that have made no money? How many accounts did Nigerians put up before and after Linda? How many of them have made a penny?

Dangote, Otedola and others would be in jail in more civilized countries. Bribing government officials to give you favorable contracts, being dashed oil blocs by military heads of state etc... Here is the secret you need, find a high ranking government official to sleep with. Afterall it worked for Mrs Alakija. This is the problem with Nigeria, you can only "make it" if you compromise your integrity.

9 Likes

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jan 15, 2017
TWoods:

hmmm false. Indians in first world nations can't wait to dump their Indian passports. You need to visit trackitt.com. Thousands of Indians there moaning about not being able to get US LPR/citizenship status quickly enough. Yes the Indians in Nigeria prefer to keep their indian passports... why would they "downgrade" to a Nigerian passport?

This is the simplest argument against keeping a Nigerian passport - the fact that you have to apply for a visa to every single country! Even Gabon! Why would i want to put myself through the pain, cost and uncertainty of endless visa applications, renewals etc. with a green passport when i can simply buy a ticket and fly tomorrow with a US, British or Canadian passport? Even the most patriotic Nigerian knows which makes most sense.

I still wonder why the richest man in Africa holds no other passport but that of Nigeria despite all the drawbacks you have stated above
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by bebe2(f): 11:36pm On Jan 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

That was an error, I meant in MY retirement not theirs.

U right about the care home stuff, it scares me too, but if I am in Nigeria and my kids are abroad who is going to ensure I don't get treated badly in my old age?

Typical Nigerians have no respect for their fellow humans , rather they respect ur clothes, your position in power and how much money u have.

If I get dementia abroad chances are I will get look after they understand wats wrong with me, I will get treated with empathy. BUT if I get dementia in na Nigeria guess wat they will do, term me as a witch and torture me to death.

This I have seen with my own eyes wen I was younger and I still see today on social media.

3 Likes

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by TWoods(m): 11:38pm On Jan 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

I still wonder why the richest man in Africa holds no other passport but that of Nigeria despite all the drawbacks you have stated above

If he held a US passport, it would expose him to prosecution since he would be required to file US taxes every year thus exposing him to stricter scrutiny of his finances.

Its easy to hold a Nigerian passport... no one cares about the legitimacy of his money. Its like asking why James Ibori prefers a Nigerian passport over a British passport... duh!

7 Likes

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by maternal: 11:41pm On Jan 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

Because he's the richest man in Africa and getting things like a visa won't be an issue. TWoods I assume is middle class in the US. Meaning a Nigerian passport does not benefit him at all, especially over a US passport. Also those rich guys are full of crap. I'm sure most usually have a green card or permanent residency card tucked away somewhere just in case.

3 Likes

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by bebe2(f): 11:42pm On Jan 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

U don't seem to understand how nationality works abroad, u can not buy it with money. cheesy

Bill gate can't walk in to Germany or London and demand passport.

Dangote will not be given any countries passport unless he follows the immigration rule and that usually involves living in the country which might be hard for him.

4 Likes

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jan 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

Who? Friend of every govt?

1 Like

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jan 15, 2017
bebe2:

That was an error, I meant in MY retirement not theirs.

U right about the care home stuff, it scares me too, but if I am in Nigeria and my kids are abroad who is going to ensure I don't get treated badly in my old age?

Typical Nigerians have no respect for their fellow humans , rather they respect ur clothes, your position in power and how much money u have.

If I get dementia abroad chances are I will get look after they understand wats wrong with me, I will get treated with empathy. BUT if I get dementia in na Nigeria guess wat they will do, term me as a witch and torture me to death.

This I have seen with my own eyes wen I was younger and I still see today on social media.

Interesting, so our medical doctors and nurses here have never heard about dementia and don't know how to handle it or speak to a patient's family about it?

Are you assuming that an average Nigerian cannot conduct a research via the Internet after noticing certain symptoms which they observed in the individual who is suffering from this illness or am I to believe that you don't think we have diagnostic centers here where MRI scan can be conducted?, haba
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by claremont(m): 11:47pm On Jan 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

Do you need a soothsayer to tell you that people with dual citizenship also have divided loyalty issues?

This is why we need this single citizenship more now than ever, we really don't need unpatriotic people as citizens of this country, people who only want to take but never give back.

Let me ask you a question. If you were a dual national living in the UK/USA/Canada, would you abandon the immense opportunities in these countries for Nigeria, just so you can be viewed as patriotic?! I think you misconstrue what the concept of 'home' is, 'home' isn't necessarily where you were born, it IS where you have opportunities and peace of mind for you and your future offspring.

Nigeria is a fool's paradise where the 'middle-class' struggle for the most basic of amenities, but claim to be supposedly well-off than their peers. Meanwhile, the so-called middle class are surrounded by people living in abject poverty, but it's okay to them as long as they can FEED their families. It's a never-ending rat-race, that in most cases, never gets above the most basic of needs i.e. food for family e.t.c.

8 Likes

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:47pm On Jan 15, 2017
maternal:

Because he's the richest man in Africa and getting things like a visa won't be an issue. TWoods I assume is middle class in the US. Meaning a Nigerian passport does not benefit him at all, especially over a US passport. Also those rich guys are full of crap. I'm sure most usually have a green card or permanent residency card tucked away somewhere just in case.
We didn't know Soyinka had one.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jan 15, 2017
bebe2:

U don't seem to understand how nationality works abroad, u can not but it with money. cheesy

Bill gate can't walk in to Germany or London and demand passport.

Dangote will not be given any countries passport unless he follows the immigration rule and that usually involves living in the country which might be hard for him

Which Western country will refuse to give Dangote a business permit with the amount of funds he is capable of investing? Which of course will lead to nationalization in the long run if he wants. It seems you think these Western countries are saints..

https://www.gov.uk/tier-1-entrepreneur/overview

http://legalservicesincorporated.com/which-immigration-visa-should-i-select-if-i-am-an-entrepreneurs-investors-or-business-owners/

I'm glad you mentioned that it will be hard for him to live permanently any where else because of his business interests here. There are many other business men and women here making millions who would never even consider relocating permanently if given the choice
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:50pm On Jan 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

Interesting, so our medical doctors and nurses here have never heard about dementia and don't know how to handle it or speak to a patient's family about it?

Are you assuming that an average Nigerian cannot conduct a research via the Internet after noticing certain symptoms which they observed in the individual who is suffering from this illness or am I to believe that you don't think we have diagnostic centers here where MRI scan can be conducted?, haba

And Buhari frequents Germany on health issues.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by TWoods(m): 11:50pm On Jan 15, 2017
elfmann:

We didn't know Soyinka had one.

I'm sure the likes of Tony Elumelu have one too (for the sake of their children at least). You can easily get a US green card using the EB5 category if you invest $500,000 in a US company. It amazes me how easily hoodwinked the likes of pidgin2 are. Raped by her politicians and forced to love a country that cares nothing for her.

6 Likes

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jan 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

Which Western country will refuse to give Dangote a business permit with the amount of funds he is capable of investing? Which of course will lead to nationalization in the long run if he wants. It seems you think these Western countries are saints.
He wouldn't wanna pay taxes. You dey reason so?
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by TWoods(m): 11:53pm On Jan 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

Which Western country will refuse to give Dangote a business permit with the amount of funds he is capable of investing? Which of course will lead to nationalization in the long run if he wants. It seems you think these Western countries are saints.

Virtually all! You seem to think those countries are like Nigeria were anything goes. Compared to the likes of Zuckerberg, Elon Musk, Bill Gates, what does Dangote add to the US economy? What business would Dangote run in the US? A sugar mill? Cement factory or import rice? lol

3 Likes

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by bebe2(f): 11:59pm On Jan 15, 2017
Pidgin2:

Stay in one place na, are we talking visas or passport??

It's not about sainthood , it's about laws that need to be adhered to.

Having a billion visas on ur passport still doesn't translate to automatic passport. At least for uk sha

Www.UKBA.gov.uk

A friend of mine brought her Spanish husband to Nigeria to settle, she tried to give him a man Nigeria passport, the immigration office refused saying he didn't meet the criteria.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:02am On Jan 16, 2017
TWoods:

There is no secret... they are simply thieves and beneficiaries of a corrupt system of government. Linda Ikeji and Seun Osewa are simply one-offs. They luckily stumbled on a means of making money via the web. For every Nairaland, how many other web forums are there that have made no money? How many accounts did Nigerians put up before and after Linda? How many of them have made a penny?

Dangote, Otedola and others would be in jail in more civilized countries. Bribing government officials to give you favorable contracts, being dashed oil blocs by military heads of state etc... Here is the secret you need, find a high ranking government official to sleep with. Afterall it worked for Mrs Alakija. This is the problem with Nigeria, you can only "make it" if you compromise your integrity.

Obviously, you are underestimating Nigerian youths, some of whom are earning very well online (genuinely)

And who did Late Madam Dora Akunyili, Mrs Ngozi Okonji uweala, Mrs Obi Ezekwsili, Mrs Aloma Mariam Mhuktar and so many other prominent women in this country sleep with before achieving what they have? Oya start naming their sexual partners
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by bebe2(f): 12:04am On Jan 16, 2017
Pidgin2:

Is the doctor going to adopt u after the dementia diagnosis?

U act like na only u dey dat Nigeria, those old women striped naked and called witches wat do think is wrong with them?

Ur views on issues are so narrow, it's either u live in an estate in Nigeria and have never been let out or u are in denial of the facts.

2 Likes

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:05am On Jan 16, 2017
TWoods:

Virtually all! You seem to think those countries are like Nigeria were anything goes. Compared to the likes of Zuckerberg, Elon Musk, Bill Gates, what does Dangote add to the US economy? What business would Dangote run in the US? A sugar mill? Cement factory or import rice? lol

This is funny, try researching before you comment, this isn't personal, I'm just saying the truth
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:08am On Jan 16, 2017
bebe2:

Is the doctor going to adopt u after the dementia diagnosis?

U act like na only u dey dat Nigeria, those old women striped naked and called witches wat do think is wrong with them?

Ur views on issues are so narrow, it's either u live in an estate in Nigeria and have never been let out or u are in denial of the facts.

Let me ask you, why do you read it in the news? Because it rarely happens, it is a one off thing that's why it is news worthy

Nigeria is not that backward na, sis cut us some slacks. Most universities have medical schools here smiley
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by TWoods(m): 12:08am On Jan 16, 2017
Pidgin2:

Obviously, you are underestimating Nigerian youths, some of whom are earning very well online (genuinely)

And who did Late Madam Dora Akunyili, Mrs Ngozi Okonji uweala, Mrs Obi Ezekwsili, Mrs Aloma Mariam Mhuktar and so many other prominent women in this country sleep with before achieving what they have? Oya start naming their sexual partners

Iweala and Ezekwesili are most likely US citizens, so drop them from your list. Again, you are listing extreme one-offs in a nation of over 170 million.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by TWoods(m): 12:10am On Jan 16, 2017
Pidgin2:

This is funny, try researching before you comment, this isn't personal, I'm just saying the truth

lol what should i research about? You're the one living in Nigeria, claiming its so great, yet spending your every waking moment on the travel section of this forum. If you did any research at all you would know why Dangote cannot simply switch passports from one nation to another. Dangote's companies are not innovative, they are simply commodity industries churning out stuff that other countries long moved on from. They only work here in Nigeria because we import everything and we have 75% unemployment. Try building a sugar factory in the US and see how profitable that is. Its always funny when ignorant Nigerians tell you to research about the country you live in.

1 Like

Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:13am On Jan 16, 2017
bebe2:

Stay in one place na, are we talking visas or passport??

It's not about sainthood , it's about laws that need to be adhered to.

Having a billion visas on ur passport still doesn't translate to automatic passport. At least for uk sha

Www.UKBA.gov.uk

A friend of mine brought her Spanish husband to Nigeria to settle, she tried to give him a man Nigeria passport, the immigration office refused saying he didn't meet the criteria.

Haha UK is even one of the worst culprits, this is why they ask for bank statement for almost everything possible . They have entrepreneur investors category where you need to be willing to invest a certain amount of money doing business there and of course you can also take your family over there with you as dependents. After a few years, you can apply for citizenship smiley
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:20am On Jan 16, 2017
TWoods:

lol what should i research about? You're the one living in Nigeria, claiming its so great, yet spending your every waking moment on the travel section of this forum. If you did any research at all you would know why Dangote cannot simply switch passports from one nation to another.

Lol so you think that everyone that visits this section is desperate to migrate?

Dangote has been on Forbes list countless number of times, why will they consistently give credit to a fraudster?

http://www.forbes.com/profile/aliko-dangote/
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by bebe2(f): 10:37am On Jan 16, 2017
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Lucasbalo(m): 4:56pm On Jan 16, 2017
TWoods:

huh? I know many Nigerians and Americans whose parents live with them permanently. It is not true that western cultures encourage you to put your old parents in a retirement home... this occurs because there are welfare schemes in place that allow older folks to live as independently as possible until they are no longer able to. Social security ensures they get a pay check for life as soon as they turn 65. Medicare ensures they get all the medical care they get for extremely cheap. This can include having a nurse that comes to check on them daily, or a home of their own in hospice care if needed. Why throw away these benefits just because you want your parents to live with you?

Lets be frank, in Nigeria, our parents live with us BECAUSE THEIR IS NO OTHER CHOICE! It is either that or they starve to death in a nondescript home (if they aren't already homeless). Its not because we have a culture of taking care of our parents more than others.

I've read through your previous posts and its clearer to me that your motivation isn't really that you love Nigeria, you are simply grasping for anything positive about Nigeria to make you feel better, since you cannot immigrate legally. If you had a choice, you would leave Nigeria in a heartbeat.
Bravo. You nailed it.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:34am On Jan 17, 2017
elfmann:

And Buhari frequents Germany on health issues.

Unfortunately, he has the money to throw around like that but does this mean we should condemn our health system because some of our leaders are Je.rrks? I think it's time to look inwards lie the Cubans have done

I spent a few months in one rural community while volunteering and I saw agile old men and women in their 80s and 90s trekking long distances, lifting 25kg of water several times a day and i was perplexed, those old people were very strong and in good health too.

Of course they never spent thousands of dollars in a foreign hospital taking care of their health rather they relied on the knowledge our ancestors had left behind for them, lived close to nature and ate natural food

Compare this to elderly people living in urban centres and Western communities who become frail and ill far too early. You see them in Europe and America walking alone with their bent backs in harsh whether most of them so frail and dependent on helpers it's sad.
Re: Why Dual Nationality Should Be Banned In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:37am On Jan 17, 2017
bebe2:
Gd Morning

https://www.nairaland.com/3574847/nigerian-u.s-army-veteran-killed#52842284

Our population should be over 170 million and counting, of course you will have isolated cases like this or are there no serial killers in the West or no drive - by shootings and racial killings in America any longer?

http://timelines.latimes.com/deadliest-shooting-rampages/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/murder

RIP to our veteran tho

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

If Nigeria Is The Easiest Country To Get Rich, Why Is It Still The World's Poore / You Probably Couldn’t Survive In Oymyakon, The World’s Coldest City. / Emigrating From The West To Nigeria / Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.