Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,493 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). (16587 Views)

Governor Okorocha Wears Army Uniform At Armed Forces Remembrance Day In Owerri / Wike At The 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day In Rivers (Photos) / Buhari, Osinbajo, Saraki, Dogara At The 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by obiageIi(f): 10:04am On Jan 15, 2017
kettykin:

I have impacted the society and the world more than most military Generals can ever do in their live time.

100% of the military activities has been internal and 0% external, what does that tell you about it. (forget the crap about peace keeping in war torn west African countries that the military has been engaged in)
American military engagement has been 100% external and 0 % internal.

Only very cosmetic countries that are unstable are held together by militaries. Some countries don't even have militaries while others just keep a military without engagements. 100% of the people killed by Nigerian military are Nigerians out of that the majority of the people killed are innocent, unarmed women and children
If Nigeria is existing because it has a military that means Nigeria's problem is internal. Other militaries protect the territorial integrity of the country while the Nigerian military is encumbered with internal issues.

I have friends and relatives in the military and have nothing against them and their chosen career.
Hard to disagree with you, as much as I'd love to

1 Like

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by airminem(f): 10:04am On Jan 15, 2017
God Bless The Armed Forces And Our Fallen Heros
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by cutedharmee: 10:18am On Jan 15, 2017
Happy celebration to us. RIP to d fallen heroes... shout out to all 22AK/69RRI.
God bless Nigerian armed forces
God bless PMB
God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by wooleyboi(m): 10:20am On Jan 15, 2017
kettykin:

I have impacted the society and the world more than most military Generals can ever do in their live time.

100% of the military activities has been internal and 0% external, what does that tell you about it. (forget the crap about peace keeping in war torn west African countries that the military has been engaged in)

Only very cosmetic countries that are unstable are held together by militaries. Some countries don't even have militaries while others just keep a military without engagements. 100% of the people killed by Nigerian military are Nigerians out of that the majority of the people killed are innocent, unarmed women and children
If Nigeria is existing because it has a military that means Nigeria's problem is internal. Other militaries protect the territorial integrity of the country while the Nigerian military is encumbered with internal issues.

I have friends and relatives in the military and have nothing against them and their chosen career.

You made lots of sense, but this is Nigeria! So you understand its peculiarity. More power to your elbow though. Just play your part as you been doing and perhaps, if more people play their parts with patriotic hearts, someday, just someday....cant estimate when, but we will get there. America has a history too. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by Nobody: 10:21am On Jan 15, 2017
obiageIi:

We will almost never recover from the mess they created

No my dear..you are mistaken.

Any one that told such lies to you only deceived you.

NZEOGWU was what Nigeria needed that time. The Northerners hated the IGBOS that we were sidelined in socio-economical cum political affairs of this corrupt nation. Even useless Ahmadu Bello, Tafawa Balewa and some islamic babaric jihadists planned to extinct the IGBO race. But NZEOGWU being an intelligent military officer countered their so-called ethnic cleansening. He murdered them before they could extinct us. Even though the coup was unsuccessful, at least he fought for what he believed in. NZEOGWU led the kaduna coup, but other soldiers that where stationed in other regions messed up due to lack of courage and partiality. For instance, NNAMDI AZIKIWE should have been killed but Ifeajuna(one of the coup plotters) told him earlier, which made him to abscond in the guise of medical treatment. MICHAEL OKPARA was also on the hit list but unfortunately, the Prime Minister of Cyprus(Makarios) was with him. Even Aguiyi Ironsi was on the hit list, but due to sheer cowardice the coupist that should have executed him fled.

This made the coup to be one sided.

So my dear, withdraw your statement and celebrate him
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by naptu2: 10:32am On Jan 15, 2017
ifyalways:
Nice thread although I disliked the special tribute or mention of Abu Ali.

Many have died before and after him, why is he special?

Anyway, maka Ndi Igbo no na ala Awusa engaging in ogu n'agbasaghi ha, Unu nakwa e checki. sad

He wasn't the only one that I paid tribute to. The two other officers whose bio I provided died before him. I'm still going to pay tribute to other fallen officers, it's just that I was called away and had to go and take care of some things.

I also hoped that others would pay tribute to fallen officers and men that they know and I'm glad that many have done so.
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by naptu2: 10:32am On Jan 15, 2017
ifyalways:
@Naptu2, happy new year. No thread on 2016 Lagos carnival undecided

Happy new year dear. Unfortunately the carnival was not held last year.
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by blueflowers(f): 10:34am On Jan 15, 2017
May the soul of our fallen heroes rest in peace. To David Kinsley who passed away last year September in Borno state but we heard about it January 1st. I can't believe that you are gone, soldier. May we find find the happiness that we always wished for.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by Ijobaorun(m): 11:23am On Jan 15, 2017
Job well done to our military personnel. Happy Anniversary.
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by obiageIi(f): 11:47am On Jan 15, 2017
kanadian:

NZEOGWU was what Nigeria needed that time. The Northerners hated the IGBOS that we were sidelined in socio-economical cum political affairs of this corrupt nation. Even useless Ahmadu Bello, Tafawa Balewa and some islamic babaric jihadists planned to extinct the IGBO race. But NZEOGWU being an intelligent military officer countered their so-called ethnic cleansening. He murdered them before they could extinct us. Even though the coup was unsuccessful, at least he fought for what he believed in. NZEOGWU led the kaduna coup, but other soldiers that where stationed in other regions messed up due to lack of courage and partiality. For instance, NNAMDI AZIKIWE should have been killed but Ifeajuna(one of the coup plotters) told him earlier, which made him to abscond in the guise of medical treatment. MICHAEL OKPARA was also on the hit list but unfortunately, the Prime Minister of Cyprus(Makarios) was with him. Even Aguiyi Ironsi was on the hit list, but due to sheer cowardice the coupist that should have executed him fled.

Not true, you are twisting history. Intact Igbos dominated anything Federal government and were doing fantastically well, till those overambitious officers decide to copy what was happening in other parts of Africa and south American
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by seunmsg(m): 12:09pm On Jan 15, 2017
kanadian:

NZEOGWU was what Nigeria needed that time. T[b]he Northerners hated the IGBOS that we were sidelined in socio-economical cum political affairs of this corrupt nation. Even useless Ahmadu Bello, Tafawa Balewa and some islamic babaric jihadists planned to extinct the IGBO race.[/b] But NZEOGWU being an intelligent military officer countered their so-called ethnic cleansening. He murdered them before they could extinct us. Even though the coup was unsuccessful, at least he fought for what he believed in. NZEOGWU led the kaduna coup, but other soldiers that where stationed in other regions messed up due to lack of courage and partiality. For instance, NNAMDI AZIKIWE should have been killed but Ifeajuna(one of the coup plotters) told him earlier, which made him to abscond in the guise of medical treatment. MICHAEL OKPARA was also on the hit list but unfortunately, the Prime Minister of Cyprus(Makarios) was with him. Even Aguiyi Ironsi was on the hit list, but due to sheer cowardice the coupist that should have executed him fled.

Only God knows where you guys pull out some of these lies from but we will continue to set the record straight and puncture your lies always.

The Ibos were never sidelined in the government of the country after independent. In fact, the Ibo party(NCNC) and the northern party, NCP formed the indepence government of 1959. The IBO and Northern coalition government ruled the country between 1959 and 1964 when a new general election was conducted. Ibos occupied most of the top federal civil service and military position in that period. An ibo man was even appointed as vc of the university college, Ibadan. So, stop trying to play the marginalisation and hatred card to justify Nzeogwu's needless coup.
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jan 15, 2017
obiageIi:

Not true, you are twisting history. Intact Igbos dominated anything Federal government and were doing fantastically well, till those overambitious officers decide to copy what was happening in other parts of Africa and south American

Alright you can read these books-WHY WE STRUCK by Ademoyega, NIGERIA's FIVE MAJORS
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jan 15, 2017
obiageIi:

Alright you can read these books-WHY WE STRUCK by Ademoyega, NIGERIA's FIVE MAJORS by Ben Gbulie
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jan 15, 2017
Baba4dgals:
My greetings to airborne02 and zeus100
well sighted I appreciate its zeus2412 not zeus100, I did mistake that day. alee also appretiate you

1 Like

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by Ugosample(m): 2:05pm On Jan 15, 2017
ifyalways:
Nice thread although I disliked the special tribute or mention of Abu Ali.

Many have died before and after him, why is he special?

Anyway, maka Ndi Igbo no na ala Awusa engaging in ogu n'agbasaghi ha, Unu nakwa e checki. sad

Nwanne, nwoke a (Col. Ali) was a rare gem....
Even his subordinates confirmed it...

Though other soldiers deserve tribute, this one deserved the accolades he got.

And as for your last line grin grin

Ndi Igbo no na Army na-alu ogwu ndi Boko Haram na nootu
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by Caveatemptor(m): 2:07pm On Jan 15, 2017
naptu2:
Barnaby Philips was the BBC's Nigeria correspondent in the early 2000s/late '90s (I remember when President Obasanjo tongue lashed him during an edition of the Presidential Media Chat). He did a documentary in which he interviewed some Nigerians and Ghanaians who fought in the Second World War. I first heard that documentary in the late '90s/early 2000s. He is now an Al-Jazeera correspondent and he did this documentary for them. Enjoy "Burma Boy".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BREOezfAJSU

Naptu2,
Great documentary .
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by Ugosample(m): 2:19pm On Jan 15, 2017
kettykin:

You say peace keeping is crap?
I don't blame you, you are still a kid.

If not for Nigeria, many countries (Especially Liberia and Sierra Leone) will not be stable today....

Nigerian Army kept the wahala in Chad at bay...

Nigerian Army was in Kosovo...

They were in Sao Tomé

What of Somalia and Sudan?

What if driving those evil AlQuaeda affiliated thugs at bay in Mali (of which our boys are still there o)

And you are calling it trash...

It's not your fault, sentiments have beclouded your judgement.

1 Like

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by naptu2: 2:40pm On Jan 15, 2017
Caveatemptor:

Naptu2,
Great documentary .

You'd probably also like this documentary. They went to northern Nigeria to interview some of the Nigerian soldiers that fought in World War Two.

Nearly 90,000 West African soldiers were deployed to Burma by the British during WW2. While the role of Indian and Ghurka soldiers is well-known, many Nigerians remain bitter that their contribution is forgotten.

"In the jungle the Japanese were hiding just like a snake" says Musa Dawakintofa. For two years, he and tens of thousands of West African soldiers fought tooth-and-nail through the thick jungles of Burma as part of the British Army's 81st and 82nd Divisions to help secure victory over Japan. Side by side, they lived and died with their Indian, Ghurka and British comrades. "Wherever they slept was the place where we slept. We were all the same." But while the hardships of war did not discriminate, it seems that the glory did, as the Africans were left out of celebratory speeches and denied any rewards. "They promised to send us something - up to now we didn't receive anything."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5gSlraEGSo

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by Airborne02(m): 2:48pm On Jan 15, 2017
Baba4dgals:
My greetings to airborne02 and zeus100
thanks alot bro.. Really appreciate.
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by Baba4dgals: 3:26pm On Jan 15, 2017
zeus2412:
well sighted I appreciate its zeus2412 not zeus100, I did mistake that day. alee also appretiate you
welcome bro...

One love
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by Baba4dgals: 3:27pm On Jan 15, 2017
Airborne02:
thanks alot bro.. Really appreciate.
welcome bro...

One love

1 Like

Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by Caveatemptor(m): 5:54pm On Jan 15, 2017
naptu2:

You'd probably also like this documentary. They went to northern Nigeria to interview some of the Nigerian soldiers that fought in World War Two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5gSlraEGSo

Great again.
My grandfather fought in the Burma War,and when I was a kid he would tell us how horrible that war was.
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by ifyalways(f): 6:42pm On Jan 15, 2017
Ugosample:

Nwanne, nwoke a (Col. Ali) was a rare gem....
Even his subordinates confirmed it...

Though other soldiers deserve tribute, this one deserved the accolades he got.

And as for your last line grin grin

Ndi Igbo no na Army na-alu ogwu ndi Boko Haram na nootu
I learnt he was killed with some other officers. However, no mention or tribute of the rest of the men that died same day as him.

Not sure the families of the "other" dead men will feel happy being neglected that way.

It's all good sha.
Re: Today Is Nigerian Armed Forces Remembrance Day (2017). by ifyalways(f): 6:49pm On Jan 15, 2017
naptu2:

Happy new year dear. Unfortunately the carnival was not held last year.
Ambo ti de.

Werin "happun"? Hope it's not gonna be same story this year.
I give him A1 though on road and infrastructure, he's surpassed Fashola.

@Col Ali, it's all good.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

ING Plot: Conclude Presidential Petitions Before May 29, Agbakoba Tells Tribunal / 2019: Reps Unanimously Adopt New Election Sequence / Edo 2020: Justice Taiwo Withdraws From Suit Seeking To Disqualify Ize-Iyamu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.