Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,370 members, 7,808,292 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

The Concept Of Ori In Yoruba Culture - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Concept Of Ori In Yoruba Culture (2147 Views)

The Concept Of God Is Absurd / 5 Signs Your Destiny (ori) Has Been Stolen Or Snatched / Pls Direction To Ori Oke Akinkemi(ibadan) From Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Concept Of Ori In Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 9:52am On Jan 15, 2017
Please I need further understanding about the Concept of Ori in Yoruba Culture.

In seeking answers to some deep questions about my life I recently met someone who told me the Ori and how it is similar to the Greek concept of Logos and Biblical concept of Holy Spirit.

Please anyone with knowledge of Yoruba tradition should contribute.
Re: The Concept Of Ori In Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 15, 2017
Ori as shea butter
Re: The Concept Of Ori In Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 10:44am On Jan 15, 2017
atmy1:

In seeking answers to some deep questions about my life I recently met someone who told me the Ori and how it is similar to the Greek concept of Logod and Biblica concept of Holy Spirit.

Ori consists of different patterns, colors and it's drawn in many ways :
Used for spiritual cleaning by d Babalawos

To worship traditional religion ORISHAS

Traditional cultural displays and art

It's worn as tattoos for decoration

It's worn by queens or young ladies that will later marry d kings.

It can also be used to mark someone with diseases that's put in isolation to avoid being contagious.

The use of Ori in yorubas culture is very vast but very old fashioned now.

I don't know now the type of Ori you meant, I qould have been more straightforward in answering your questions.
Re: The Concept Of Ori In Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jan 15, 2017
Am not referring to shea butter, am talking about ori which literally means head but has a deeper meaning spiritually and philosophically.
Re: The Concept Of Ori In Yoruba Culture by dingbang(m): 7:06am On Jan 21, 2017
atmy1:

In seeking answers to some deep questions about my life I recently met someone who told me the Ori and how it is similar to the Greek concept of Logos and Biblical concept of Holy Spirit.

bro watsup, I need dat herbal stuff, how do I get it please
Re: The Concept Of Ori In Yoruba Culture by Nobody: 3:20pm On Feb 11, 2017
atmy1:

Re: The Concept Of Ori In Yoruba Culture by doctuw(m): 11:52am On Mar 03, 2017
Ori as in the concept of Eleda. I have been following most of your write ups and comments, and I figured out you are a matured mind. Ori and Eleda are synonymous. It is not the physical Ori-head. Your Ori was created along with you and it determines your destiny and what happens to you. In the Yoruba culture, Ori is a God and you offer sacrifices to it. I am Akure based, probably we might meet someday.

1 Like

Re: The Concept Of Ori In Yoruba Culture by denziz: 3:47pm On Mar 03, 2017
This is the beging of occultism, please beware.
Re: The Concept Of Ori In Yoruba Culture by LiteKing(m): 12:37pm On Apr 14, 2017
doctuw:
Ori as in the concept of Eleda. I have been following most of your write ups and comments, and I figured out you are a matured mind. Ori and Eleda are synonymous. It is not the physical Ori-head. Your Ori was created along with you and it determines your destiny and what happens to you. In the Yoruba culture, Ori is a God and you offer sacrifices to it. I am Akure based, probably we might meet someday.

You got mail please respond.
Re: The Concept Of Ori In Yoruba Culture by doctuw(m): 6:52pm On Apr 17, 2017
LiteKing:

You got mail please respond.
you haven't responded to my email
Re: The Concept Of Ori In Yoruba Culture by PastorAIO: 9:03pm On Apr 17, 2017
Ori eleda eni. Not orii- Shea butter. Not ori-eyo- cowrie shell.

Check out the odu Eji Ogbe. Check out Ogunda meji.

(1) (Reply)

Of Mrpresident1 And His Rapture Date / For Atheists:if You Were God, How Would You Have Treated Lucifer's Rebellion? / My True Life Encounter With Nairalanders Who Are Witches, Wizards, and Babalawos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.