Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,893 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

What Kind Of Atheist Am I? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Kind Of Atheist Am I? (682 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg Is Not An Atheist? / My Experience As An Atheist For Three Weeks. / I Don't Pay Tithes And Offerings But I Give To Anyone In Need. Am I Wrong? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Kind Of Atheist Am I? by VeloCipes: 10:50am On Jan 15, 2017
My dad is a pastor, and its safe to say I grew up with a strong christian background. We had a church and I was never interested in the whole church razzmatazz, this was probably based on my person, as I don't like being in a crowd for too long or so I thought. After I finished my secondary education, for some reasons, mainly educational, I had to separate from my parents.

Just like every other people I have always prayed and hoped for certain things which never came to pass, and for that reason I stopped believing in the existence of God, took it a step further when I stopped going to church. I was living everyday as it came, and believed I would have to work for whatever I desired.

I've always known that a person who doesn't believe in a supreme being is an atheist, I played with the dictionary a lot when I was much younger and I learnt that word unconsciously. Due to my religious upbringing I could not actually deny the existence of God completely and at the same time I was flirting with atheism.

In my mind, I just wanted proof to my doubts. I consistently seek answers. Until about 3 years ago I came across the word "Agnosticism" and it clicked - This is who I am. An Agnostic is a person who is not sure whether or not God exists or who believes that we cannot know whether God exist or not.

Can also mean someone who continuously seek to find answers to God's existence.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Kind Of Atheist Am I? by VeloCipes: 10:52am On Jan 15, 2017
[color=] So why did I ask what kind of atheist I am? Even as an agnostic I can stand God being insulted. I dislike it when people make joke about God. Sometimes I speak [I wouldn't say pray because I don't] and just casually add "in the name of Jesus" and it happens except the ones I hoped I get to see a bag full of money abandoned but I loved the hope it gives when I add it to my wishful thinking.

I love the concept of having a God, and I love the bible. Some verses can guide your daily lives, truth is most might be hard to adhere to but its good. I love the concept of heaven and I choose not to believe in hell grin I'm still seeking because I want to find.

In conclusion, I sometime ask myself is my agnostic tendencies false or am I unconsciously a christian or just an unconvinced atheist. We'll, I just love the fact that I don't have to be in church. [/color]
Re: What Kind Of Atheist Am I? by johnydon22(m): 10:55am On Jan 15, 2017
you asked a question and answered it still - nice though

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Atheist Am I? by deeoh(m): 11:00am On Jan 15, 2017
Do what betrand Russell did: unlearn what u know and critically assess ur self. But in my opinion I think u are just confused probably because u see lot of hyprocracies while growing up especially in ur religion

1 Like

Re: What Kind Of Atheist Am I? by VeloCipes: 11:09am On Jan 15, 2017
johnydon22:
you asked a question and answered it still - nice though

I asked a question that I think I have an answer to, I may not be right though. The topic is just to draw attention, cause anything atheism is a hotcake on this forum. You know you can never stop learning. cheesy
Re: What Kind Of Atheist Am I? by VeloCipes: 11:12am On Jan 15, 2017
deeoh:
Do what betrand Russell did: unlearn what u know and critically assess ur self. But in my opinion I think u are just confused probably because u see lot of hyprocracies while growing up especially in ur religion

About Russell, who's the guy? grin I ll search about him though. I am confused I know, that's why I mentioned I'm still "seeking". I don't understand what you meant by hypocracies but personally, religion, especially christianity as never hurt me. Thank for your contribution bro cheesy
Re: What Kind Of Atheist Am I? by johnydon22(m): 11:54am On Jan 15, 2017
VeloCipes:

I asked a question that I think I have an answer to, I may not be right though. The topic is just to draw attention, cause anything atheism is a hotcake on this forum. You know you can never stop learning. cheesy
lol i got it
Re: What Kind Of Atheist Am I? by hahn(m): 12:13pm On Jan 15, 2017
VeloCipes:
My dad is a pastor, and its safe to say I grew up with a strong christian background. We had a church and I was never interested in the whole church razzmatazz, this was probably based on my person, as I don't like being in a crowd for too long or so I thought. After I finished my secondary education, for some reasons, mainly educational, I had to separate from my parents.

Just like every other people I have always prayed and hoped for certain things which never came to pass, and for that reason I stopped believing in the existence of God, took it a step further when I stopped going to church. I was living everyday as it came, and believed I would have to work for whatever I desired.

I've always known that a person who doesn't believe in a supreme being is an atheist, I played with the dictionary a lot when I was much younger and I learnt that word unconsciously. Due to my religious upbringing I could not actually deny the existence of God completely and at the same time I was flirting with atheism.

In my mind, I just wanted proof to my doubts. I consistently seek answers. Until about 3 years ago I came across the word "Agnosticism" and it clicked - This is who I am. An Agnostic is a person who is not sure whether or not God exists or who believes that we cannot know whether God exist or not.

Can also mean someone who continuously seek to find answers to God's existence.

Agnostics sit on the fence

Some atheists believe agnostics are cowards who chose to be on the "safe side"
Re: What Kind Of Atheist Am I? by VeloCipes: 2:05pm On Jan 15, 2017
hahn:

Agnostics sit on the fence

Some atheists believe agnostics are cowards who chose to be on the "safe side"

Exactly, sir, I'm sitting on the fence. Honestly, most atheist online are intolerable. They condemn everything except themselves. I've met smart ones too.

(1) (Reply)

Bishop Eddie Long Is Dead At 63 / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 13/03/17 / Why Are Ladies Mostly The Ones Who Falls Under Annointing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.