Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,792 members, 7,802,510 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 (51970 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Is An Ojukwu, An Nzeogwu And An Azikiwe All Rolled Into One' - FFK / Florence Ajimobi Presenting Flowers To Adeyinka Adebayo In 1966 (Throwback Photo / Nzeogwu, Orkar Are Martyrs, Says Fani-kayode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by dfav: 7:40pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:
The real Hero of Democracy

I disagree sir

Rather he and his gang members are the ones that put this country into this nepotism and ethnic corruption that is killing this country today via their coup.
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by ezemusaayo: 7:40pm On Jan 15, 2017
the face of criminal idiot, who put igbos in trouble since 1966, uselless DOG
thank God he was brutally dealt with in the right manner for killing hero and causing confusions for the country.
onyishi , shege , dan iska, omale. dotti igbo woman I. norhern khaki.
IINYAMURIS are beterayer, useles creatures. and stupid monkeys in human cloths

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by khadaffi(m): 7:43pm On Jan 15, 2017
BOJO123:
Can we get Thier names?
Michael Okpara -Eastern Region
Dennis Osadebay- Mid western Region

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 15, 2017
dfav:

I disagree sir

Rather he and his gang members are the ones that put this country into this nepotism and ethnic corruption that is killing this country today via their coup.
But according to History. They the coup to end Nepotism and Tribalism especially in Civil Service. They went about it the wrong way,but their motive was Patriotism. Please read more about Nigerian History from 1960-1970. Unbiased ones are the ones written by foreign authors mostly English.
You will comprehend better

4 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by sekem: 7:45pm On Jan 15, 2017
LorDBolton:

Wrong

Kaduna was fighting to 'install' awolowo...not for personal gains

I've forgotten the name of. The book OBJ wrote about him (it contained many personal correspondence + the manuscript by ifeajunna also backs it up)

Sadly his co-conspirators didn't see the plan through

The name of the book is NZEOGWU.
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by AkinPhysicist: 7:46pm On Jan 15, 2017
Nma27:
We all know that Kaduna started the coup because of the deep seated corruption in the north and west, he wanted a better nation for his people but the stark arrogance with which he went about the whole coup incited hatred in the north. Aguiyi Ironsi didn't even help matters at all in d whole mess. He should have brought kaduna and co to justice but i doubt that would have made any difference anyway.

What about the east? There was no corruption is the east?

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by four4: 7:46pm On Jan 15, 2017
khadaffi:

Actually two premiere were spared.
other was in prison then
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by laudate: 7:47pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:
Hahah oga abeg..I won't argue with yah.
Its futile flogging a dead horse.
Am sure you are those sortbof Nigerians that expect every Northerner to think and act like an Aboki,sorry ah burst your bubbles.

Your impersonation of a Northerner is rather childish. undecided There is no single person I have met from the North, that does not talk about the late Sardauna of Sokoto Sir Ahmadu Bello, with utmost respect. At the time he died, there were no millions in his bank account and all he had was a single old building in his area. The same goes for Tafawa Balewa. So where are the millions he and Tafawa Balewa were alleged to have stolen? Where are the proceeds of the corruption that they engaged in? sad

AkinPhysicist:
What about the east? There was no corruption is the east?

Help me ask dem, o!! shocked

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by enemmo(f): 7:50pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:

There was a country was sentimental. If you wan the true history. Read the foreigners texts.. There are many books on Nigerian Civil War History. I have read 4
Many thanks.Can I get them via Google?Would you help with their titles?
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by laudate: 7:50pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:
the reality you avoiding is that it is that same power of the gun that will eventually destroy Nigeria. 46 years after the war we have not gotten anything right. We are still playing politics of 1960. If you think this democracy would last forever. Then your Alice in wonderland

Nigerians are far more wiser than you give them credit for. And if you continue to support anyone who picks up a gun to wreak havoc in this country, I pray the violence and carnage that comes through the gun, starts from your own home, and ends among your own people. So be careful what you wish for! sad

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

Your impersonation of a Northerner is rather childish. undecided There is no single person I have met from the North, that does not talk about the late Sardauna of Sokoto Sir Ahmadu Bello, with utmost respect. At the time he died, there were no millions in his bank account and all he had was a single old building in his area. The same goes for Tafawa Balewa. So where are the millions he and Tafawa Balewa were alleged to have stolen? Where are the proceeds of the corruption that they engaged in? sad

Impersonation ma foot. Meanwhile,do to you now,its only people that dip their hands into public purse you term corrupts.
It seems you don't have an Idea the meaning of the words Nepotism and Ethnocentrism which are the worst form of corruption. Check your dictionary and quote back.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by menxer: 7:53pm On Jan 15, 2017
Irrespective of his role in the coup that led to the civil war, Kaduna Nzeogwu, has been my hero of sorts from when I started reading way back...

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jan 15, 2017
If Nzeogwu had succeeded, by now he would have like one oil well while his son will be a senator or Governor from Anioma state.
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by timsTNA: 7:56pm On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

Biko, stop telling lies. Maybe you grew up there, but you were definitely not born to Northern parents. You cannot be from Katsina. Look for another lie that will make sense.

Oh, so you saw it too??! shocked cheesy shocked That was why I stated that he could not be from the North, when he started waxing lyrical about Nzeogwu!

This laudate is just another psycho that should be chained

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by four4: 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:

Do you know Buhari as well is secretly pursuing the Northern Agenda. He is the helmsman he showcases oblivious attitude as one who isn't aware of what's going on,but he is the masterminded,his the one that sends the hatchet men and when it boomerangs they take the fall.
That's how some people were saying that in 83 Idiagbon was in charge,I just laff. Buhari has always been in charge but lurks in the shadows.
That was the same sortbof leader that Tafawa Balewa was,Doesn't talk too much but he was extremely intelligent and cunny.
embarassed embarassed embarassed I thought this suppose b intelecture discuss
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Nobody: 7:59pm On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

Nigerians are far more wiser than you give them credit for. And if you continue to support anyone who picks up a gun to wreak havoc in this country, I pray the violence and carnage that comes through the gun, starts from your own home, and ends among your own people. So be careful what you wish for! sad
Lol. If na Gun that one na our toy.
Meanwhile the problem is that Nigerians have always avoided the truth that's why nothing works. We don't ever face reality that's why nothing works. This is the same reason that Donald Trump is vexed with us. We don't our issues,we keep asking for aid and extendingnour suffering. Everyday cost of living soars,No one takes to the street. We keep saying e go better. If America was saying e go better would they be at the fore front now?
Face the reality and brace up. Its either Corruption destroys Nigeria or Corruption kills Nigeria. We would never be free from corruption cos its in the DNA

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Chukazu: 8:00pm On Jan 15, 2017
this guy did what Jerry Rawlings did in Ghana, with the exception of not killing Nnamdi Azikiwe, Nigeria would have been a better place
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by leobrownish(m): 8:01pm On Jan 15, 2017
RockHard:

How can you call someone who led the coup that butchered elected regional leaders (with the exception of one premiere of a particular region) the 'hero of democracy'?? No be by force to speak english o.

sentiment is worrying his head,don't mind him
RockHard:

How can you call someone who led the coup that butchered elected regional leaders (with the exception of one premiere of a particular region) the 'hero of democracy'?? No be by force to speak english o.

sentiment is worrying his head,don't mind him
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by laudate: 8:01pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:
Lol. If na Gun that one na our toy.
Meanwhile the problem is that Nigerians have always avoided the truth that's why nothing works. We don't ever face reality that's why nothing works. This is the same reason that Donald Trump is vexed with us. We don't our issues,we keep asking for aid and extendingnour suffering. Everyday cost of living soars,No one takes to the street. We keep saying e go better. If America was saying e go better would they be at the fore front now?
Face the reality and brace up. Its either Corruption destroys Nigeria or Corruption kills Nigeria. We would never be free from corruption cos its in the DNA

There are ways to get rid of corruption. But one thing that can never be effective against corruption, is the power of the gun.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 15, 2017
enemmo:
Many thanks.Can I get them via Google?Would you help with their titles?
you won't find them in google.
1.Why we struck by Adewale Ademoyega
2.The Biafran Story by Frederick Forsythe..a British journalist.
3.The brothers war...Ave forgotten the author John something.
All I can remember for now.

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by korel9: 8:08pm On Jan 15, 2017
FemiFimile:

See this treasury looter son. Did u work hard for the car? If Mikel dey drive Bentley, treasury looter go carry bentley come out but nobody knows u besides ur father. One thing i did give to igbos is that alot of them are rich from their own hustle, we can say this is wat they do? Acting, football, business etc. Alot of the Aboki up north, we see their children driving big car and the next thing u here is Ahmed Indimi son, Buhari Son, IBB son. etc

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by laudate: 8:08pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:
Impersonation ma foot. Meanwhile,do to you now,its only people that dip their hands into public purse you term corrupts.
It seems you don't have an Idea the meaning of the words Nepotism and Ethnocentrism which are the worst form of corruption. Check your dictionary and quote back.

Yes, you are impersonating a Northerner, pretending to hail from Katsina when in actual fact you come from elsewhere. As for nepotism, and ethnocentrism - if you think they can be solved by the power of the gun, you are totally deluded on that score.

Read what this article in The Cable newspapers said:

5 unfulfilled promises of the Jan 15, 1966 coup | Six years after Nigeria became a sovereign nation, the country witnessed an unprecedented development, which still haunts it 50 years after.Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu, a major in the army, led some of his colleagues to overthrow a civilian government.

The casualties of that coup d’etat, which occurred on January 15, 1966, are Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, then the prime minister; Ahmadu Bello, the Sardauna of Sokoto; Samuel Akintola, the premier of the Western Region; Festus Okotie-Eboh, the finance minister, among others.

Between then and now, Nigeria has witnessed at least eight coups and the objectives given for carrying out the coups were not achieved, meaning that military intervention is far from the solution that a country needs. In this piece, we highlight five lessons that Nigeria ought to have learnt from the first ever putsch.

COUPS DON’T WIPE CORRUPTION OUT

In his speech, Nzeogwu said the aim of the revolutionary council was to establish “a strong united and prosperous nation, free from corruption and internal strife”.

But corruption is far from over in Nigeria despite the efforts of successive governments to rid the country of the menace. The problem of corruption is even getting deeper, proving that the the coup failed to achieve what was perhaps its most important aim.

THE ENEMIES ARE STILL WITH US

“Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds,” Nzeogwu said.

The coup leader made it clear that through the support and assistance of Nigerians, the so-called enemies would be defeated. One look at the polity and all these people are still intact.

THE NIGERIAN SHAME STILL A REALITY?

Whether the coup plotters meant it or not, one of their objectives was to make the citizens “no more ashamed to say that they are Nigerians”.

But the present realities show otherwise. Fifty years after that event, many Nigerians do not have patriotic spirit. While many countries which were at par with the country in the 60s have since joined global economies, Nigeria is still grappling with numerous challenges, leaving many with nothing but just associating with the country through identity. In any case, too many Nigerians are not proud of their nationality; not that they are unpatriotic, they’re just finding it hard to pinpoint how their country is serving them.

REFORMATION OF THE SOCIETY

As a measure to check immorality, the military regime of Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi, which seized power after the coup, introduced death penalty to prevent excesses such as looting, arson, homosexuality, rape, embezzlement, bribery or corruption, obstruction of the revolution, sabotage, subversion”.

Has the maximum sentence restored orderliness into the country? Everyone has the answer!

OPPRESSION EVERYWHERE

“We are not promising anything miraculous or spectacular. But what we do promise every law-abiding citizen is freedom from fear and all forms of oppression,” Nzeogwu had said.

Like other promises, the short-lived regime could not liberate the people in the exact manner it promised, and signs of oppression, even by the military itself, remain commonplace.

The plotters of that coup hinged their action on marginalisation of their ethnic group. Incidentally, there is a renewed campaign against this same ‘marginalisation’, with attempt to resuscitate the Republic of Biafra.

Nigeria’s unravelling over the past decades has shown that coups are far from the solution to any of the country’s problems. Hard to say if Nigerians have learnt this lesson, but time will surely tell.

Copyright 2017 TheCable. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.thecable.ng as the source.
https://www.thecable.ng/5-unfulfilled-promises-of-the-jan-15-1966-coup

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 15, 2017
four4:
embarassed embarassed embarassed I thought this suppose b intelecture discuss
I believe majority of us here weren't bornnthen.So have to back up statements with examples,history,comparisons etbal..That's what makes a good historian.
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Nobody: 8:10pm On Jan 15, 2017
laudate:

U need to understand that this sarduana was more like the founder of the northern agenda which the ibbs,abdusallami,indimi n co are benefitting from...u wont expect core northerners 2say anything negative abt him

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by owodokiri: 8:10pm On Jan 15, 2017
DMerciful:
Why i blamed Kaduna Nzeogwu for leading a coup without thinking of the repercusions, the civil war as declared by Ojukwu was unavoidable after the pogrom.....no brave tribe can take it without reacting! According to Sanusi, they were foolish but they earned an honourable peace afterwards!

How did Ojukwu declare a civil war? By insisting that Brigadier Ogindipe who was the most senior in the army should take over after Ironsis assassination?

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by chris31(m): 8:12pm On Jan 15, 2017
And why did the Northerners tag his led coup igbo coup?
Had it been its possible igbo race would have been reduced to minority because of hatred of other region towards d igbos.
Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu is born & raised in the North. He is from delta state (a state claiming that they are not igbos).
The 1966 coup also have igbo casualties & was carried out by Nzeogwu together with western & northern soldiers.
Then why d counter coup & massacre focused only on igbos.
Ojukwu did wot he did to protect his people.
But before u focuses ur hatred on igbos try & hear their own part of d story.

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by owodokiri: 8:12pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:

No one ever dies before his appinted time.
I die for freedom than live for oppression.
They still remain my heroes though and if i was alive back the, i would have fought shoulder to shoulder with them.

Great saying there..

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by laudate: 8:16pm On Jan 15, 2017
kingsouthie:
U need to understand that this sarduana was more like the founder of the northern agenda which the ibbs,abdusallami,indimi n co are benefitting from...u wont expect core northerners 2say anything negative abt him

Exactly!! So why would someone on this thread who claims to be a Northerner from Katsina, start jubilating and commending Nzeogwu for killing the late Sardauna?? shocked Even if he was not born when the late premier was alive, his parents or elders would have held the Sardauna's name & memory in huge respect.
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by Maghan37: 8:17pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:

Go back and read what led to the coup, then you can come here and we would argue.
If you think politicians started corruption today, then am sorry for you.
Other than cynicism and savagery what else. Even Adolf Hitler justified his iniquities.
Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by laudate: 8:17pm On Jan 15, 2017
owodokiri:
How did Ojukwu declare a civil war? By insisting that Brigadier Ogindipe who was the most senior in the army should take over after Ironsis assassination?

Guy, please go back & read what made Ojukwu embark on a civil war. It had nothing to do with Ogundipe. undecided

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Kaduna Nzeogwu Who Led Nigeria's First Coup D'etat In 1966 by four4: 8:18pm On Jan 15, 2017
Justdulla:

I believe majority of us here weren't bornnthen.So have to back up statements with examples,history,comparisons etbal..That's what makes a good historian.
bros, read what u wrote up there now, as if u were their when Buari was telling d Fulani's and herdsmen to attack or to cause havoc in d country or as if u re reading buary mind

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Obasanjo Receives Sule Lamido & Kwankwaso In Abeokuta (Photos) / Peter Obi Rejects VIP Treatment, Assists Stranded Nigerians At Abuja Airport / Burial Of Onwukwe Chukwu Obiahu, NTA Staff Who Was Stoned To Death In Kogi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.