Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,401 members, 7,808,436 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:56 AM

The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It (10807 Views)

5 Deadly Sins To Avoid At Job Interviews / Types Of Interviews’ You Might Come Across & How To Handle Them By Tunde Omotoye / 10 Types Of Interviews (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by nmreports: 6:19am On Jan 16, 2017
People who excel, prepare, plan and are equipped with resources and information that will help them in their endeavors. I thought to share this with you guys today. Read and have a productive week ahead.

There are basically three types of interviews and understanding the type you are most likely to experience would put you in a position where you will not only be well prepared but you will also be able to impress your interviewer.

The three types of interviews are:

1. Technical interviews
For positions like software engineering, web development, chemical engineering, medicine etc, this is the type of interview that you are likely to experience. You may find yourself getting into the interview and you are immediately given a board pen to solve some algorithms.

Usually, the aim here is to affirm your knowledge and skill for this position. If it is for a graduate position, you are expected to at least show some passion and also know basic things.

Questions likely to be asked are:
a. Mention as if you are speaking to a lay man the 5 basic rules of SEO
b. What is the full meaning of HTTPS?.
c. What leads to code-bloating in C++?

Note: Knowing the type of interview is not enough you may want to read: How To Act At Interviews: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/09/how-to-act-during-job-interviews.html

2. Case interviews

This type of interview is usually experienced when you are interviewing for a consultancy position or in a consulting organization.
You are often presented with a problem and you are asked how you would solve the problem or ameliorate the challenges.

The goal is usually to test your problem solving skills and how holistic your perspective is without bias when prescribing solutions.

a. Your nephew runs a lemonade stand. Yesterday was Monday and he was open from 2pm - 5pm, and sold 2 cups. What should he do differently tomorrow? McKinsey type of question.
b. How many orders on average does Jumia get daily compared to Konga?
c. How many people are likely to wear casuals to work on a Monday in Nigeria?.

3. Behavioral interviews

Behavioral interviews are the most commonly used type of interviews. This interview aims to understand your personality which is sized up within 7 seconds of meeting the interviewer and to also see how kind you are, your confidence level, your speech up-beat, your hand shake, posture, eye contact among many other things.

Questions commonly asked are:
a. Every been in a team where you were not respected as a leader, what did you do?.
b. Have you ever sold a product to a relentlessly difficult and uninterested customer before?.
c. How do you persuade people to see things from your perspective.

Understanding the type of interview you are going for is the first step to performing excellently at the interview for that dream job.

Related articles on www.HRtechnique.com

Cc: Mynd44 morning.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by nmreports: 6:23am On Jan 16, 2017
I hope we find it useful.
You can also read Three Major Mistakes Job Seekers Make: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/12/3-major-mistakes-job-seekers-make.html
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by EMXTAN1(m): 6:43am On Jan 16, 2017
Awesome! Though, i hate interviews some times cos the interviewers ask ridiculous questions that they most likely didnt knw until they Researched and read it to test other people who mostly on the avearage are more sound minded than they are,but lack of confidence due to several factors whch in real working condition wuldnt affect them

4 Likes

Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by Theyveedo(m): 7:09am On Jan 16, 2017
Kul
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by lyterydim(m): 7:12am On Jan 16, 2017
Your analysis has giving much clarity to me,maybe that's the way the run interview in more mentally develop country,
Maybe somehow the run it that way too in Nigeria,
Because Nigerians interviewer's will loved to depress you,
The other time,we were all waiting for the staffs to commence the interview for over an hour,
Next thing a lady came in and serve us all Coca-Cola,

So we decided to use the coke to calm our miseries because we've all started complaining,
After 20 mins a man came in and told us the interview has been conducted,we where like what a hake,

Next thing we heard was those who drink the coke you can go those who don't you've gotten the job,
and it was only one sister who didn't,

For me interview should be done Base on skills and knowledge,then character should be the list,

Imagine rejecting a skillful knowledgeable 1st class graduate because he doesn't smile or give a good eyes contact

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by emmanuel2015: 7:15am On Jan 16, 2017
Hmmm
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by tolexy123: 7:15am On Jan 16, 2017
It all still rest on Man knows Man
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by tolexy123: 7:16am On Jan 16, 2017
influence na in b koko, all these na real bullshitters
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by Phunkyposh(f): 7:18am On Jan 16, 2017
nice................educative
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by ademasta(m): 7:19am On Jan 16, 2017
Good
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by Nobody: 7:25am On Jan 16, 2017
Informative and educative
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by lyterydim(m): 7:31am On Jan 16, 2017
EbonyLouis:
Educating but when last was job vacancy advertised in any federal MDA?
CBN secret recruitment comes to mind.

Today is my birthday and my prayer is that this will be my last birthday as a bachelor.
I'm searching for a loyal woman for a relationship that will lead to marriage.
Preferably, a woman that is based in Abia or Imo state.
My number is 07034581975.
romance section should be the right place you should exercise your mediocrity.

2 Likes

Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by Luizville(m): 7:31am On Jan 16, 2017
Cool cool
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by lyterydim(m): 7:32am On Jan 16, 2017
EbonyLouis:
Educating but when last was job vacancy advertised in any federal MDA?
CBN secret recruitment comes to mind.

Today is my birthday and my prayer is that this will be my last birthday as a bachelor.
I'm searching for a loyal woman for a relationship that will lead to marriage.
Preferably, a woman that is based in Abia or Imo state.
My number is 07034581975.
romance section should be the right place you should have exercise your mediocrity.
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by adwaani(m): 7:41am On Jan 16, 2017
nmreports:
People who excel, prepare, plan and are equipped with resources and information that will help them in their endeavors. I thought to share this with you guys today. Read and have a productive week ahead.

There are basically three types of interviews and understanding the type you are most likely to experience would put you in a position where you will not only be well prepared but you will also be able to impress your interviewer.

1. Technical interviews
For positions like software engineering, web development, chemical engineering, medicine etc, this is the type of interview that you are likely to experience. You may find yourself getting into the interview and you are immediately given a board pen to solve some algorithms.

Usually, the aim here is to affirm your knowledge and skill for this position. If it is for a graduate position, you are expected to at least show some passion and also know basic things.

Note: Knowing the type of interview is not enough you may want to read: How To Act At Interviews: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/09/how-to-act-during-job-interviews.html

2. Case interviews

This type of interview is usually experienced when you are interviewing for a consultancy position or in a consulting organization.
You are often presented with a problem and you are asked how you would solve the problem or ameliorate the challenges.

The goal is usually to test your problem solving skills and how holistic your perspective is without bias when prescribing solutions.

a. Your nephew runs a lemonade stand. Yesterday was Monday and he was open from 2pm - 5pm, and sold 2 cups. What should he do differently tomorrow? McKinsey type of question.

3. Behavioral interviews

Behavioral interviews are the most commonly used type of interviews. This interview aims to understand your personality which is sized up within 7 seconds of meeting the interviewer and to also see how kind you are, your confidence level, your speech up-beat, your hand shake, posture, eye contact among many other things.

a. Every been in a team where you were not respected as a leader, what did you do?.
b. Have you ever sold a product to a relentlessly difficult and uninterested customer before?.

Understanding the type of interview you are going for is the first step to performing excellently at the interview for that dream job.

Where do schorlarship interviews fall under,and any tips on how to stand out at such interviews
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by Sike(m): 9:07am On Jan 16, 2017
nmreports:

1. Technical interviews

2. Case interviews

3. Behavioral interviews

I think I'll need an answers to all these questions. thanks

1 Like

Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by koladebrainiac(m): 9:22am On Jan 16, 2017
Please. Ii am going for interview today n my suit os wrinkle and it will commence by 11am today.

I amm in dry cleaning house now
Dont know what to do
Its an exhibition company and o tried to google for the company n find out more about them but no good things here

For once its a marketing Job what should o expect from the interview
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by nmreports: 9:41am On Jan 16, 2017
adwaani:

Where do schorlarship interviews fall under,and any tips on how to stand out at such interviews

First thing the student should think is why scholarship??.
The essence of scholarships is to help the poor and support especially those who have the potentials or prospects of giving back.

So the tips are that the student should talk about why they need the scholarship... What effort they themselves have made or their parents or guardians have made to ensure that their education doesn't stop.

Lastly and more importantly, talk about what you intend to achieve after getting the education. The impact or achievement you are driven towards should be socially beneficial most especially.

That should help the student.

I am afraid I may not be able to place properly under which category it belongs.

What do you think?
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by OLUJOSHINS(m): 10:06am On Jan 16, 2017
Good day folks.

Pls I need recommendations/advice for a good recruitment agency in Lagos.

Pls I have tried Google but the answers I am getting seem to be passing my C.V to these gnld guys.

Pls just give me any very good one that U know.

I don't mind if they charge a fee for their services pls.

Thanks for Your response in advance.
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by nmreports: 10:15am On Jan 16, 2017
OLUJOSHINS:
Good day folks.

Pls I have tried Google but the answers I am getting seem to be passing my C.V to these gnld guys.

Log on to www.HRtechnique.com use the contact page and we may be of service to you.
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by okikiosibodu(m): 10:55am On Jan 16, 2017
OP, you've done a great job, kudos to you. However, please you mind guiding us on how to answer those questions? Biko

1 Like

Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by OLUJOSHINS(m): 1:10pm On Jan 16, 2017
nmreports:

Log on to www.HRtechnique.com use the contact page and we may be of service to you.

Thanks for Your recommendation. I have added Your blog on my browser's speed dial.

But pls I have been registering on lots of job sites for quite a while. I want to do things differently now (hence my hunt for a good job recruitment agency).

Thank You once again.
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by Osinitu(m): 1:16pm On Jan 16, 2017
OLUJOSHINS:
Good day folks.

I'm also searching for one too incase you come across any

1 Like

Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by nmreports: 6:41am On Jan 25, 2017
OLUJOSHINS:

Thanks for Your recommendation. I have added Your blog on my browser's speed dial.

But pls I have been registering on lots of job sites for quite a while. I want to do things differently now (hence my hunt for a good job recruitment agency).

Thank You once again.

You are welcome. Hope you already got?
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by Selfhood: 5:14am On Jan 26, 2017
nmreports:
I hope we find it useful.
You can also read Three Major Mistakes Job Seekers Make: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/12/3-major-mistakes-job-seekers-make.html

Nice
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by nmreports: 5:47pm On Feb 12, 2017
Selfhood:

Nice

Thanks
Re: The Three Types Of Interviews And How To Prepare For It by nmreports: 5:31pm On Mar 01, 2017
Urgent Vacancy To Close 6pm Today

Sorry this is coming late.

I urgently need to recruit a young man to execute a couple of functions in my organization.

Qualities i am looking for include:

> Attention to details
> Diligence
> Strong work ethic
> Advanced microsoft package skills
> Good communication skill
> Good presentation skill
> Quality people skill

Responsibilities will cut across areas like Logistics, Project Execution and Admin duties.
If you are such a person or you know such applicant, kindly forward CVs to seun.omotoso@meaircon.com
Deadline is 6pm today as interview comes up tomorrow.

Best regards.

(1) (Reply)

Apply For Adam Smith International (ASI) Job Recruitment (8 Positions) / Silverbird Is Now Recruiting / Mr Biggs Branch Manager: Duties, Hours, And Salary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.