Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,477 members, 7,801,201 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:20 PM

Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. (17561 Views)

Gun shots At Slaughter Trans Amadi, PH? / GEJ Is A Good Man, But Buhari Is A Better Leader -Biafran Army Captain Leo Amadi / Ex-gov Amadi Ikwechegh Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by babapupa: 4:53am On Nov 26, 2009
Trans-Amadi Slaughter, the main abattoir of Port Harcourt. At the slaughter, animals are killed in the open, their blood spill into the waterways below and their skin is burned by the flames of old tires, which creates thick clouds of black smoke over the city. Fish had been the traditional source of protein in the Niger Delta, but as fish stocks have dwindled due to pollution from the oil industry and over fishing, meat is becoming more common

Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by THEAMAKA3(f): 5:41am On Nov 26, 2009
this is disgusting!!!!!
no person should have to eat meat that come from these disgusting places.
na wa ooooooooo
im sick. lipsrsealed
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Nobody: 5:47am On Nov 26, 2009
more abatoirs are needed obviously
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Jakumo(m): 6:24am On Nov 26, 2009
Wow, that is a Stygian nightmarish scene straight from the bowels of hell.

If all that blood ultimately finds its way into the ocean, large numbers of sharks will be attracted to all beaches within a 3 mile radius of the outflow point, ready to feast on anyone in the water.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by spoilt(f): 6:28am On Nov 26, 2009
Why all the witnesses? or spectators? Hanging around like vultures to pick up entrails for their dinner abi wetin?
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Nobody: 6:39am On Nov 26, 2009
Meat na meat jare.

all these ajebotas cheesy

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by THEAMAKA3(f): 6:43am On Nov 26, 2009
FL are you telling me you can eat this kind of thing?
OH NO!
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Nobody: 6:45am On Nov 26, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

OH NO!
I ate it for many years. cool

I even watched while we killed the meat we caught on the farm. eran sunsun. esp those squirrel looking thing, yummy.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by THEAMAKA3(f): 6:47am On Nov 26, 2009
youre kidding, right?
yeah ill eat something we kill and prepare ourselves, at least it wouldnt have been touched by a gazillion dirty hands and kept in dirty places like those above.
i cant even stand it!
what do you mean meat is meat? hell naw!
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by babapupa: 6:48am On Nov 26, 2009
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Nobody: 6:50am On Nov 26, 2009
I'll rather eat those meat up there than the meat infested with chemicals over here.

No matter how hard they clean it, its still dirty.

I heard that KFC chickens have cancer causing substance [carcinogen] in it. BE CAREFUL WITH 'EM CHICKENS
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Beaf: 6:54am On Nov 26, 2009
I like this one. You sort of step on the meat, clean your legs with the blood, then sell to people. angry

Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Beaf: 7:00am On Nov 26, 2009
Even in countries much smaller than Nigeria, there are health and quality inspectors poring over goods for sale in the market. For us, anything goes.

Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Nobody: 7:03am On Nov 26, 2009
Does anyone knpw where I can buy ponmo for thanksgiving?
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by princekevo(m): 7:45am On Nov 26, 2009
If you vist Nigerian slaughters you will not eat any meat from Nigeria. Every rich and poor in PH buy meat from these slaughters
That is why you are adviced to wash and cook them properly b4 eating.
Nigeria boils meat to soft, meaning boiling all the madness off.
Not onyibo that eats them raw in the name of half done or roasted beef, lamb,etc
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by otokx(m): 8:21am On Nov 26, 2009
There are some clean/healthy slaughters in Port Harcourt; i know of one in the Choba area.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Jakumo(m): 9:10am On Nov 26, 2009
FL Gators:

I'll rather eat those meat up there than the meat infested with chemicals over here.

From the above photographs, it is obvious that the hair of those animals is burnt off by throwing the carcasses unto fires fueled by used tires, which contain a multitude of carcinogenic compounds that endanger consumers just as much as does the revolting squalor amid which the animals are butchered. Little wonder that cancer is fast becoming one of the leading causes of premature death in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by princekevo(m): 9:11am On Nov 26, 2009
otokx:

There are some clean/healthy slaughters in Port Harcourt; i know of one in the Choba area.

On C'mon are you talking abt the sluaghter in choba area or another one?
Unless there has been a transformation there, but my last visit to Nigeria i always go there every saturday to buy meat. Its all the same, always count my steps, coz you dont know where to match on. In fact when i think of going there on a rainy saturday, omg!!! it make me weak.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Beaf: 9:24am On Nov 26, 2009
Someone asked an important question on critical thinking here https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-357020.0.html

There are huge problems with our style of thinking (or lack of). This pictures don't depict normal thought processes.
Thinking is an art that can be taught.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by texazzpete(m): 10:45am On Nov 26, 2009
I drive past slaughter on my way to work everyday. The photos do not even do the place justice. Thick clouds of black smoke from huge bonfires tower in the sky. Through the thick, billowing smoke you can see people walking around, breathing in the smoke and sooty air. I see women with babies on their backs weaving their way through the bonfires.

My friends and I call it 'Goat flaring'.
The surrounding water is black with debris and ash. The houses are black. The people are black and I'm willing to bet their lungs are as black as coal miners'.
Ever since I moved to port harcourt in 2006, I've wondered where the 'garden city' name came from. Certainly it's not the port harcourt i see everyday.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Ibime(m): 10:57am On Nov 26, 2009
One cannot underestimate the hazard caused to all residents of PH by the unethical practices that go on at slaughter.

I would guesstimate that at least 30% of the meat consumed in PH has passed through slaughter (unless a new abbatoir has been opened recently)

We know goats roasted with tyres can cause madness. I am guessing the same applies to cattle.

I feel sorry for all the villages who live downstream of the river from Slaughter. One can only imagine the pollution from blood, carcasses and tyres which drifts downstream to pollute their waters.

This is a clarion call to Governor Amaechi to set up a Food Standards Agency to monitor practices at Slaughter, Oil Mill/Choba and any other place where food is handled in commercial quantities.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:12pm On Nov 26, 2009
Well na una get una mouth sha!  grin yankee is yankee! naija is naija!
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:16pm On Nov 26, 2009
Ibime:

I would guesstimate that at least 30% of the meat consumed in PH has passed through slaughter (unless a new abbatoir has been opened recently)

We know goats roasted with tyres can cause madness. I am guessing the same applies to cattle.

if na so everybody wey dey PH suppose don mad by now. no be so? grin
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by bilymuse: 1:21pm On Nov 26, 2009
THE-AMAKA
OH NO!

That is what everybody in Nigeria eat, including Mr  president.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Ibime(m): 1:27pm On Nov 26, 2009
RICHIE BOI:

if na so everybody wey dey PH suppose don mad by now. no be so? grin

Na wetin dey cause militancy be that. grin
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Nobody: 12:54am On Nov 27, 2009
i swear some of those pics look like scenes from some post apocalyptic movie
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by bawomolo(m): 1:13am On Nov 27, 2009

this picture says a lot of things. child labor, poverty and pollution all wrapped in one picture.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by blackspade(m): 2:17am On Nov 27, 2009
oyb:

i swear some of those  pics look like scenes from some post apocalyptic movie

I agree.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by puskin: 2:26am On Nov 27, 2009
So many ajébotas abound on NL.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by Beaf: 2:37am On Nov 27, 2009
puskin:

ajébotas ke!
. . .Den wen we die of grikpa, we go blame winches. grin grin grin
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by puskin: 2:40am On Nov 27, 2009
If U don't want 2buy meat in parts nd pieces, then I suggest U become a vegetarian else, buy a live cow or goat or wateva that tickles ur fancy. Kill nd prepare it with ur own hands.
Once in 9ja, any meat that is bought 4rm the open market, Im 99.9% damn sure that meat has passed thru' an abbattoir of that sort depicted in the pix above.
Re: Port Harcourt Trans-amadi Meat Market. by blackspade(m): 4:02am On Nov 27, 2009
puskin:

puskin:

If U don't want 2buy meat in parts nd pieces, then I suggest U become a vegetarian else, buy a live cow or goat or wateva that tickles your fancy. Kill nd prepare it with your own hands.
Once in 9ja, any meat that is bought 4rm the open market, Im 99.9%  damn sure that meat has passed thru' an abbattoir of that sort depicted in the pix above.

No wonder the life expectancy is only 51 years.

Enjoy your carcinogen loaded meat. . . .don't mind us who care about our health. . .longevity is overrated anyways. . .NOT.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Rivers Poll: Tribunal Upholds Election Of 6 PDP Lawmakers / Lagos Government To Demolish Buildings Blocking Drainage Channels / Atiku: Unlike Buhari, I Will Appoint My Cabinet In One Day If Elected President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.