Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,803 members, 7,802,563 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed (12584 Views)

How To Enable Inbuilt Screen Recorder On Tecno Pouvoir 3 / Itel P32 Full Screen, 4000mah Battery With Android Oreo Go Edition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by ritababe(f): 4:26pm On Jan 16, 2017

Researchers have designed a lithium-ion battery that contains a fire-extinguishing material, which is released if the battery gets too hot.

Flame retardant triphenyl phosphate (TPP) sits inside a shell within the electrolyte fluid. The shell melts when the temperature reaches 150C (302F), releasing the chemical compound.
In tests, battery fires were extinguished in 0.4 seconds.

Lithium-ion batteries power many devices but are a known fire hazard.
The Stanford University research team's peer-reviewed paper has been published by the journal Science Advances.

Previous attempts to incorporate TPP inside batteries without the shell have hampered their performance.

If a lithium-ion battery cell charges too quickly or a tiny manufacturing error slips through the net it can result in a short circuit - which can lead to fire.
In February 2016, the US National Transportation Safety Board issued a warning about lithium batteries in aeroplane cargo,
describing them as "a fire and explosion ignition source".

While Samsung has not yet released the results of its investigation into what caused some of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones to catch fire last year, local reports have suggested it has found that the batteries were responsible
However, the firm would not confirm that this was their conclusion.
"We understand the need for answers and appreciate your continued patience as well as that of our valued customers, partners and stakeholders," it said in a statement.
"We are working diligently to ensure that we have a comprehensive update and will provide more information in the coming weeks once we have the final report."

Better batteries
Battery technology has been slower to evolve than the many battery-powered devices that rely on it, said Ian Fogg, senior analyst at IHS,
"There is enormous pressure to improve battery tech. It's one of the areas that's holding back mobile devices and a range of other products," he told the BBC.
"Manufacturers have been balancing out consumer demand for longer-lived batteries, and more powerful devices with better graphics and larger more detailed displays, with the sophistication of battery tech.
"It's very difficult to push up the capacity of batteries and there is always a risk that a battery in any device could fail."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38637357

cc.
lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by barackodam: 5:36pm On Jan 16, 2017
OMG, who would believe this? shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by ritababe(f): 6:11pm On Jan 16, 2017
barackodam:
OMG, who would believe this? shocked shocked shocked shocked

check the source na
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by barackodam: 7:01pm On Jan 16, 2017
ritababe:

check the source na

Haha, I'm not doubting the authenticity, I'm only astonished at realizing that feat, I mean, lots of us must have imagined it, but not expecting it in reality this soon
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by ritababe(f): 7:09pm On Jan 16, 2017
barackodam:

Haha, I'm doubting the authenticity, I'm only astonished at realizing that feat, I mean, lots of us must have imagined it, but not expecting it in reality this soon

everything is possible na, you know Samsung wahala fasten the process
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by barackodam: 7:46pm On Jan 16, 2017
ritababe:

Yeah, right
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by nony43(m): 7:17am On Jan 18, 2017
As par phone fire service or wetin?

1 Like

Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Silvereze(m): 7:18am On Jan 18, 2017
Technology!!!!
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Pavore9: 7:18am On Jan 18, 2017
Someone people really invest in Research.
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Moreoffaith(m): 7:19am On Jan 18, 2017
Really? Oya gimme five pieces, I no wan hear say e dey use charger o, cos na that one no go make me pay money finish o. grin grin grin
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Genea(f): 7:19am On Jan 18, 2017
Oshey!!! All ye explosives. grin grin Samsung no dey dissapoint

1 Like

Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by mrtegation99(m): 7:19am On Jan 18, 2017
This OP and China Products be like Pretty Mike and leaching grin

1 Like

Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by benjamin007: 7:20am On Jan 18, 2017
Buhahahaha

4 Likes

Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Abrupt: 7:20am On Jan 18, 2017
This is their way of compensating us for the the 'Mobile Grenade (S7)' they produced last year.
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Generalkorex(m): 7:21am On Jan 18, 2017
Ok na
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Nobody: 7:22am On Jan 18, 2017
Will end up as concept
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by ConcNiggress56(f): 7:23am On Jan 18, 2017
When police and road safety asks for my fire extinguisher, is it safe to show them my phone?

2 Likes

Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Whizzing(m): 7:24am On Jan 18, 2017
At least this will solve explosion wahala in these new phones.
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by airminem(f): 7:27am On Jan 18, 2017
And When There Is No Fire, It Expires And Condem The Phone Abi. Nice Tech
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Kondomatic(m): 7:27am On Jan 18, 2017
ritababe:

4 Likes

Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by ZUBY77(m): 7:31am On Jan 18, 2017
Cool. That's what is happening out there.
Meanwhile in Southern part of Africa, a pastor is Asking his followers to drink Chemical to be able to kill the devil inside them.

1 Like

Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by TerrorSquad147: 7:31am On Jan 18, 2017
It's all about "bomb-sung"

1 Like

Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Folksyharry(m): 7:34am On Jan 18, 2017
That will be a very great improvement on mobile phones performance. I know Samsung will be the first to use this.
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by ALAYORMII: 7:45am On Jan 18, 2017
I remember once when my dad gave me money to pay the electricity bill but instead i bought a lottery ticket for a brand new car. When i got home,i explained to my dad what i did and he beat the crap out of me. But the next day,when my dad woke up and opened the door,outside my house was a brand new car. We all cried especially me,because the car was from the electricity company,they were there to cut off the electricity, my dad beat the crap out of me again

4 Likes

Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Nobody: 7:47am On Jan 18, 2017
ritababe:

Researchers have designed a lithium-ion battery that contains a fire-extinguishing material, which is released if the battery gets too hot.

Flame retardant triphenyl phosphate (TPP) sits inside a shell within the electrolyte fluid. The shell melts when the temperature reaches 150C (302F), releasing the chemical compound.
In tests, battery fires were extinguished in 0.4 seconds.

Lithium-ion batteries power many devices but are a known fire hazard.
The Stanford University research team's peer-reviewed paper has been published by the journal Science Advances.

Previous attempts to incorporate TPP inside batteries without the shell have hampered their performance.

If a lithium-ion battery cell charges too quickly or a tiny manufacturing error slips through the net it can result in a short circuit - which can lead to fire.
In February 2016, the US National Transportation Safety Board issued a warning about lithium batteries in aeroplane cargo,
describing them as "a fire and explosion ignition source".

While Samsung has not yet released the results of its investigation into what caused some of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones to catch fire last year, local reports have suggested it has found that the batteries were responsible
However, the firm would not confirm that this was their conclusion.
"We understand the need for answers and appreciate your continued patience as well as that of our valued customers, partners and stakeholders," it said in a statement.
"We are working diligently to ensure that we have a comprehensive update and will provide more information in the coming weeks once we have the final report."

Better batteries
Battery technology has been slower to evolve than the many battery-powered devices that rely on it, said Ian Fogg, senior analyst at IHS,
"There is enormous pressure to improve battery tech. It's one of the areas that's holding back mobile devices and a range of other products," he told the BBC.
"Manufacturers have been balancing out consumer demand for longer-lived batteries, and more powerful devices with better graphics and larger more detailed displays, with the sophistication of battery tech.
"It's very difficult to push up the capacity of batteries and there is always a risk that a battery in any device could fail."

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-38637357

cc.
lalasticlala
RITABABE!!!!!!!you wicked person
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Mrdecent(m): 7:55am On Jan 18, 2017
Good one... Africa we are coming...
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by DEIFIED(m): 7:57am On Jan 18, 2017
this is a joke to technological advancement. What they are trying to tell us is that the new generation mobile phones will no longer be safe to use.
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by ItzHoludex(m): 8:10am On Jan 18, 2017
no pics undecided
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Lasskeey: 9:05am On Jan 18, 2017
grin
Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 18, 2017
Once upon a time in a village, a man appeared and announced that he would buy monkeys for N100 each. The villagers seeing that there were so many monkeys around, went out to the forest and started catching them.

The man bought thousands at N100 and as supply started to diminish, the villagers stopped their efforts. He further announced that he would now buy at N200. This renewed the efforts of the villagers and they started catching monkeys again. Soon the supply diminished and people started going back to their farms. The offer rate increased to N250 but the supply of monkeys became so little that it took much effort to even see a monkey, let alone catch one.

The man now announced that he would buy monkeys at N500! However, since he had to go to the city on some business, his assistant would now buy on his behalf.

In the absence of the man, his assistant told the villagers: ''Look at all these monkeys in the big cage that my OGA has bought from you, I will sell them to you at N350 and when my OGA returns from the city, you can sell it to him at N500''.

The villagers squeezed out all their HARD EARNED savings and bought all the monkeys. The most greedy ones among them even sold their lands to purchase many MONKEYS, hoping to make a huge profit without labor.

Then...

They never saw the man or his assistant. Only monkeys everywhere!

Welcome to #MMM.
The world of Monkeys

1 Like

Re: Battery With Inbuilt 'fire Extinguisher' Developed by OCTAVO: 10:42am On Jan 18, 2017
Anticipating phone explosion? cheesy

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Hard Reset M-horse S4 Mini... Help Needed / ***chat Room By Honsule*** / Calls To All Numbers Now 20k/sec On Glo Welcome Back Auto Plan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.