Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,604 members, 7,770,594 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:54 AM

The Richest Men In Africa? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Richest Men In Africa? (17744 Views)

Exclusive: See Where Nigeria, Africa’s Richest Men Were Spotted (photos) / 40 Richest Men In Africa! New List! / World's 100 Richest Men. I Call The Ladies Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Richest Men In Africa? by hazh(m): 5:10pm On Nov 26, 2009
Recently the following men has been shortlisted by Forbes as follows.

Enjoy!

Johann Rupert (South Africa)African Rank No.9 - World Rank No.601 - Wealth $1.2 billion
It has been another bad year for the Rupert family. Once ranked No.3 on the list of richest in Africa, the family is in danger of slipping out of the list all together. The bulk of their wealth is tied into the Richemont Group, a major player in luxury goods and this is a sector that has been particularly hard hit by the global down turn. The summation of this is a fall in wealth of over $2.4 billion and a drop to No.9 in the African rich list.

Femi Otedola (Nigeria) African Rank No. 9 - World Rank No.601 - Wealth $1.2 billon
Last year saw the debut of Aliko Dangote as the first entry from Africa’s most populous country, Nigeria in the Forbes Billionaire list. This year sees another entry, oil magnate Femi Odetola. Odetola is one of a cortège of moguls who prospered under the Nigeria last administration, others include Aliko Dangote, Jim Ovia (Zenith Bank), Michael Adenuga (Glo Telecoms) and Tony Elumelu (UBA Bank) . It would be no surprise if one of the latter three makes the list next year.

Patrice Motsepe (South Africa)
African Rank No.8 - World Rank No.559 - Wealth $1.3 billion
Patrice Motsepe was a new entrant this time last year his mining empire benefitting from record commodity prices to make him the first black South African to make the African rich list. A year on the fall in commodity prices particularly platinum has hit him hard with his personal wealth falling $1.1 billion. Despite the fall he was still able to claw his way up one spot to No.8 on the list.

Onsi Sawiris (Egypt) African No.7 - World Rank No.430 - Wealth $1.7 billon
In 2008 the Sawiris family were easily the richest family in Africa with father Onil and sons Naguib, Nassef and Samih boasting a combined wealth of $35.7 billion. The global crisis has seen this wealth decimated. The patriarch of the Sawiris family, Onil saw his personal wealth plunge from $9.1 billion to $1.7 billion on the back of collapse in the value of the Sawiris’s construction group, telecommunication group and leisure interests.

Mo Ibrahim (Sudan) African No.6 - World Rank 334 - Wealth $2 billion
We omitted Mo Ibrahim from our list last year, with $2 billion to his name we are not going to make the same mistake twice. Mo Ibrahim made his fortune building up the CelTel mobile phone empire and selling it on to Kuwaiti investors. In recent years he is most famous for his $5 million African leadership prize.

Aliko Dangote (Nigeria) African No.5 - World Rank No.261 - Wealth $2.5 billion
The Nigerian Stock Exchange was a few years ago one of the world fastest growing exchanges but it has plummeted over the last few months and with it has gone a substantial proportion of Dangote’s wealth. Despite losing over $800 million he still moves up two places as others have suffered even more painful losses.

Naguib Sawiris (Egypt) African No.4 - World Rank No.205 - Wealth $3.0 billion
Last year there were three Sawiris brothers in the list Naguib, Nassef and Samih. Move forward one year, mix in a global financial crisis and only two brother are left in the billionaires club with Samih ejected. Naguib who last year was richest man in Africa has lost an eye-watering $9.7 billion over the year as the value of his telecommunications empire, Orascom Telecom Holdings crashed by close to 90% and he now finds himself nestled in fourth place on the list.

Nassef Sawiris (Egypt)
African No.3 - World Rank 196 - Wealth $3.1 billion
Nassef may have only dropped one position in the list but losing that one place was accompanied by a loss of $7.9 billion. His wealth has been hit by twin blows of falling valuation of his construction interest, Orascom Constructions which has dropped over 80% from its peak, and falling oil prices which have affected many of the firm’s Middle Eastern clients.

Nicky Oppenheimer (South Africa) African Rank No.2 - World Rank No 98 - Wealth $5 billion
They say diamonds are forever and the Oppenheimer family proved this as they remain as a mainstay of Africa’s rich list and they have weathered the financial crisis relatively unscathed. They were aided by having sold a significant part of their Anglo American empire at the peak of the market.

Mohammed Al Amoudi (Ethiopia) African Rank No.1 - World Rank No. 43 - Wealth $9 billion
We come to the top of the list and the honour of the ‘Richest Man in Africa’ goes to Ethiopian born Mohammed Al Amoudi. Saudi based Al Amoudi has successfully preserved his $9 billion fortune through these troubled times and that act of financial stewardship alone has seen him rise from No.4 to the top of the rich list and No.43 in the world. His interests are spread across Sweden, the Middle East and his home country of Ethiopia

These men are representing Africa in the world rich list,do you think they are real?

http://www.clickafrique.com/Magazine/ST010/CP0000003388.aspx
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by honeric01(m): 5:16pm On Nov 26, 2009
The headline said richest men, but i can see family wealth being included here.
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by posakosa(m): 5:39pm On Nov 26, 2009
Otedola and Dangote should be taken off that list----- they are CROOKS!
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by janykute: 9:40pm On Nov 26, 2009
posakosa:

[/quote
And what makes you think the others are not crook as well,or is it a case of a prophet not being recognize is his own land.
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by OvieE: 9:40pm On Nov 30, 2009
posakosa:

Thank you. I was about to say that. Nigeria has no billionair, they are all crooks.
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by Yoighaman(m): 12:18pm On Dec 02, 2009
posakosa:

iF I mAy AsK pLeAsE; aW aRe dAnGoTe aNd OtEdOla CrOoKs?
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by Pucumpo: 12:30pm On Dec 03, 2009
[quote by Posakosa]Otedola and Dangote should be taken off that list----- they are CROOKS! [quote][/quote]

How can you name Dangote among the crooks of this nation. In the last decade, Dangote has done nothing other than help boost the nation's economy through diverse investments. He has used his wealth to add value to the lives of many through job creation, corporate social responsibilities in communites that had been written off. His wealth was gotten from hard work and great perseverance.
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by posakosa(m): 1:49pm On Dec 03, 2009
Pucumpo:

How can you name Dangote among the crooks of this nation. In the last decade, Dangote has done nothing other than help boost the nation's economy through diverse investments. He has used his wealth to add value to the lives of many through job creation, corporate social responsibilities in communites that had been written off. His wealth was gotten from hard work and great perseverance.

He is giving Nigerians back their money, money that rightfully belongs to them----- when you study economics, come back and post because I don't understand what is great about a MONOPOLIST---- angry angry angry
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by honeric01(m): 1:57pm On Dec 03, 2009
posakosa:

He is giving Nigerians back their money, money that rightfully belongs to them----- when you study economics, come back and post because I don't understand what is great about a MONOPOLIST---- angry angry angry

so no one in Nigeria is legally rich?
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by tossen(f): 4:51pm On Dec 03, 2009
janykute:

simply because you know them, you call them crooks. what do u know about the others? this is the major nigerian problem. abe go siddon. think about how you'll get to make your own money,
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by Pucumpo: 4:38pm On Dec 04, 2009
Quote from Posakosa[s][/s]
He is giving Nigerians back their money, money that rightfully belongs to them----- when you study economics, come back and post because I don't understand what is great about a MONOPOLIST----

What do you mean by that. Could you please expanciate? What money?
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by posakosa(m): 4:18am On Dec 05, 2009
honeric01:

so no one in Nigeria is legally rich?

Ookoya---- Eleganza Industries

Cocosheen---- there are a few business industrialists BUT they are probably not the "Richest in Africa"
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by posakosa(m): 4:22am On Dec 05, 2009
I've met Mr. Motsepe---- and he really made his money in mining during the South African apartheid movement--- I believe he was jailed with Mandela and some folks----- He also had White mining competitors but he was still able to make his billions and hire people---- anyways, @ Pucumpo--- will answer ur question in a few.

He was fortunate to have started his business when there was NOT too many BLACK business men in S.A. so he got a few exclusive contracts,
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by honeric01(m): 9:27am On Dec 05, 2009
posakosa:

Ookoya---- Eleganza Industries

Cocosheen---- there are a few business industrialists BUT they are probably not the "Richest in Africa"

so you only know few out of thousands of millionaires in Nigeria? well you can only say what you know, don't conclude for the whole country based on just your own knowledge. because you know Otedola and Dangote, and because they are Nigerians, then they are automatically criminals and not fit to be called a millionaire right? the Mr. Motsepe you claim you know, what do you really know about him and how he went about with his rise to wealth and mining?

@post

I still maintain, are you talking about an individual wealth or a family wealth?
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by posakosa(m): 4:22pm On Dec 05, 2009
honeric01:

so you only know few out of thousands of millionaires in Nigeria? well you can only say what you know, don't conclude for the whole country based on just your own knowledge. because you know Otedola and Dangote, and because they are Nigerians, then they are automatically criminals and not fit to be called a millionaire right? the Mr. Motsepe you claim you know, what do you really know about him and how he went about with his rise to wealth and mining?

I never called them criminals---- I referred to them as CROOKS. Dangote and Otedola are MONOPOLISTS.
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by posakosa(m): 4:22pm On Dec 05, 2009
Motsepe is NOT a monopolist.
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by posakosa(m): 4:24pm On Dec 05, 2009
Is any one in Nigeria legally rich ? Of course! There are SOME

Is Otedola and Dangote, Africa's richest businessmen--- NO BECAUSE WITHOUT MONOPOLY THEY WOULDN'T SURVIVE THE STORM.
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by posakosa(m): 4:26pm On Dec 05, 2009
Any good business man should allow competition. Any good business man, can survive competition.
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by Pucumpo: 8:38pm On Dec 06, 2009
I've met Mr. Motsepe---- and he really made his money in mining during the South African apartheid movement--- I believe he was jailed with Mandela and some folks----- He also had White mining competitors but he was still able to make his billions and hire people---- anyways, @ Pucumpo--- will answer your question in a few.

He was fortunate to have started his business when there was NOT too many BLACK business men in S.A. so he got a few exclusive contracts,

@ Posakosa. Are you a Nigeriana all? I doubt it. You claim you know Mr. Motsepe yet your own countrymen you call CROOKS. You should give credit to a man like Dangote for getting to Fobes' list as the Richest Black man in the world. He has put a lot of structures in Nigeria, invested hugely in our economy. Moreso he is the largest employer of labour in Nigeria. His wealth was gotten from hard work. Yet he saw it fit to invest it here in Nigeria, not like the looters of our treasury who steal the masses money and stash it away in foreign countries for unborn generations.
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by posakosa(m): 8:51pm On Dec 06, 2009
Pucumpo:

@ Posakosa. Are you a Nigeriana all? I doubt it. You claim you know Mr. Motsepe yet your own countrymen you call CROOKS. You should give credit to a man like Dangote for getting to Fobes' list as the Richest Black man in the world. He has put a lot of structures in Nigeria, invested hugely in our economy. Moreso he is the largest employer of labour in Nigeria. His wealth was gotten from hard work. Yet he saw it fit to invest it here in Nigeria, not like the looters of our treasury who steal the masses money and stash it away in foreign countries for unborn generations.

Thank Obasanjo too for getting a Human Rights Award for saving the lives of many Nigerians---- He redeemed Nigerians from all of its problems. He was a good and faithful servant. Obasanjo is Nigeria's Redeemer don't you think ?
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by thameamead(f): 12:54pm On Dec 11, 2009
Deinde Fernandez,
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by paddylo1(m): 4:33pm On Dec 11, 2009
otedola. . .

dangote. . .

and tons of other nigerians that have private businesses not listed on the stock market. . .

@posakosa
get a life dude. . .seems like u are mad at someone elses riches. . .why not start with removing all the white south africans on that list
since they are all usurpers and benefactors of discrimination and genocide against black ppl in their country
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by posakosa(m): 12:16am On Dec 13, 2009
I only spoke about those I know of----- Motsepe is a BLACK S.A.
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by jcross22: 11:17am On Dec 13, 2009
THAT WAS WHY I SAID THERE IS NO FUTURE FOR THIS COUNTRY WE ARE HAILING THOSE WHO WANT ENSLAVES THE NATION OKAY I WILL TELL YOU IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE HARM THEY ARE TRYING TO CAUSE NIGERIANS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHEN OCEANIC BANKS, INTERCONTINENTAL BANKS , UNION BANKS AND SOME BANKS LIKE THAT LIQUIDATED YOU WILL KNOW THE DAMAGE THEY HAVE CAUSED OKAY .
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by pureminded: 11:25am On Dec 13, 2009
thameamead:

Deinde Fernandez,

Haa,Talk Of Billionaire Mhen cool

Op: Femi Otedola & Deinde Fernandez cool
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by RecentPost: 12:00pm On Dec 14, 2009
Sad ADENUGA is hidding AM SURE HE IS RICHER THAN ALL THIS GUYS
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by frenchman(m): 2:53pm On Dec 14, 2009
ADENUGA is richer than the two lot, but he is not a noise maker like them.
Let them subtract what they are owing the banks from their assets/wealth and tell FORBES how much they are really worth.
Re: The Richest Men In Africa? by hazh(m): 4:49pm On Dec 14, 2009
What I just see from FORBES ranking is that they rank
Rich People according to their investment in the Stock
Market.

I believe this is one of the reasons why people like Mike
Adenuga is yet to make an entry into the List.

But I believe that one day,not too long,he will definitely
grace that list.

Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Transportation Business In Lagos / First Bank Allegedly Forges Documents Against Whiteplains British School / Starting A Lucrative Business In 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.