Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] (4817 Views)

Soldiers Kill Ijaw Militant With Juju Who Came To Attack Aladja In Delta (Graphi / There Has Been No Single Bomb Explosion Since We Came Into Power-lai Mohammed / Nigerians Are Wondering Why Jacob Zuma Now Has A Statue In Their Country - CNN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by coolscott(m): 4:44am On Jan 18, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Nobody: 5:23am On Jan 18, 2017
Nigerians arrived at that level through collective stupidity.

16 Likes

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Authoreety: 5:58am On Jan 18, 2017
byrron:
Fullstop!

3 Likes

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by wydmag(m): 6:27am On Jan 18, 2017
Just can't stop imagining!
Can't they just relocate to sambisa, there are a lot of grasses there for grazing. Even foreign grass of Chad and cameroon is available there.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by OfficialAwol(m): 6:29am On Jan 18, 2017
coolscott:
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/202953-agriculture-minister-ogbeh-insists-imported-cultivated-grass-will-end-herdsmen-violence.html

By deliberately lying to ourselves about obvious fact.

By believing that a man with Nepa bill was better than a PhD holder.

And by having some group of redundants who would defend every poo they pass, as being right.

Imported grass? With all the mangroove in the south? Or you wanna plant it in the north will the climate over there support its sustenance?

Please when are they registering the Mega party? Tell them to present even Ibori, he will win with landslide victory.

Rubbish

10 Likes

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by psucc(m): 6:36am On Jan 18, 2017
It's shameful . A country with well over 20m graduates will vote for a President without Secondary school certificate.

5 Likes

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Iamwrath: 6:46am On Jan 18, 2017
People at the top at least 60% of then are really stupid
Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Eastactivist: 7:23am On Jan 18, 2017
psucc:
It's shameful . A country with well over 20m graduates will vote for a President without Secondary school certificate.

The foolish People did it by thinking idiotically that they have the power to control others(non graduates) because of a fking degree they got from tertiary institution.

Now they've know that power when held by someone the resultant effect doesn't discriminate.

Power lords over education if you like get PhD... That's what they dunno and that's the aftereffects Nigerians are suffering.

4 Likes

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Realist2: 8:18am On Jan 18, 2017
All the Nairaland analysts that will analyses every bit of Mmm,kept their analytic prowess in the bathroom, when an illiterate was imposed on us, they kept it under their pillow when we were driven neck dip into recession.
Now the prices of everything has skyrocketed to triple of what it used to be, nothing is being done about it.
The price of kerosene and gas has gone to as far as #600/L and kg, which has never been before.
On daily basis, Nigerians are being killed in a manner that are preventable but to cluelessness of the el-dulldee.
Nothing seem to be moving forward. I was told, people are now eating 010, they can't warmth their foods anymore and their foods getting sour ,because of lack of kerosene and gas.
Then i ask Do we suppose to make progress as years progresses or regress as the country ages?.

3 Likes

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by wordcat(m): 8:53am On Jan 18, 2017
byrron:

We arrived at this level when we lied to ourselves that one nigeria is non negotiable

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by bamangar: 9:30am On Jan 18, 2017
Those who give a fu*k were are you ooo

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by daveson2020(m): 12:29pm On Jan 18, 2017
byrron:
grin grin grin grin lol, when one visionless tribe insist that they are born to rule forever grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jan 18, 2017
Herdsmen move from location to location to get quality grass for their cattle.

A superior specie of grass can be imported and cultivated in the northern states and the herdsmen persuaded or restricted by law to graze only where the government has designated for grazing, which is where they'll find quality grass anyway.

I don't support herdsmen killing and I believe that those who have been involved in killings should be apprehended and jailed for life.

But yes, quality grass will reduce the nomadic nature of the Fulani herdsmen if they know they can get grass for their cattle at a particular location. My opinion.

4 Likes

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by coolscott(m): 3:36pm On Jan 18, 2017
Ioannes:

A superior specie of grass can be imported and cultivated in the northern states and the herdsmen persuaded or restricted by law to graze only where the government has designated for grazing, which is where they'll find quality grass anyway.

I don't support herdsmen killing and I believe that those who have been involved in killings should be apprehended and jailed for life.

But yes, quality grass will reduce the nomadic nature of the Fulani herdsmen if they know they can get grass for their cattle at a particular location. My opinion.
We made silage for our cattle in the.federal univ of agriculture, umudike (Now renamed the Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike).

Forage diversity is higher in Nigeria than most countries in the world, and it seems the stupidity in the suggestion that the grasses and legumes that grow in Nigeria are not nutritious enough for the animals is not apparent to some.

It still seems one of the most ridiculous things to be put forward in our polity.

If there is a rationale for this, I have not yet seen it and I think it has not yet come to the fore.

5 Likes

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by limeta(f): 3:50pm On Jan 18, 2017
When you try to please a group of people who don,t like you.

1 Like

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jan 18, 2017
coolscott:

We made silage for our cattle in the.federal univ of agriculture, umudike (Now renamed the Michael Okpara University of Agriculture, Umudike).

Forage diversity is higher in Nigeria than most countries in the world, and it seems the stupidity in the suggestion that the grasses and legumes that grow in Nigeria are not nutritious enough for the animals is not apparent to some.

It still seems one of the most ridiculous things to be put forward in our polity.

If there is a rationale for this, I have not yet seen it and I think it has not yet come to the fore.

I won't argue forage diversity in Nigeria with you because that's not the point of discussion here.

You may have lots of different species of grass yet not have quality grass.

If the FG feels that importing a particular genetically modified grass will increase the yield of cattle and milk, then it won't be a bad idea.

Oh and need I remind you that's there a number of reasons why grass may be modified among which is the fact that it may actually outlive ordinary grass in the time of drought.

Continued importation of such will not make any sense though, but I'm sure the importation is for cultivation here in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 18, 2017
What do you expect when some people voted for someone with NEPA bill certificate ?

Stop whining and deal with it

1 Like

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Kamanuozuzu: 6:12pm On Jan 18, 2017
Nigeria... vindicating Nnamdi Kanu since 2015AD

1 Like

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by orunto27: 6:50pm On Jan 18, 2017
psucc:

He is a General Emeritus equivalent of a Professor Emeritus.
Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by mars123(m): 7:00pm On Jan 18, 2017
OfficialAwol:

By deliberately lying to ourselves about obvious fact.

By believing that a man with Nepa bill was better than a PhD holder.

And by having some group of redundants who would defend every poo they pass, as being right.

Imported grass? With all the mangroove in the south? Or you wanna plant it in the north will the climate over there support its sustenance?

Please when are they registering the Mega party? Tell them to present even Ibori, he will win with landslide victory.

Rubbish
both the zoology phd holder and the NEPA certificate holder and the Ibori are not qualified to rule Nigeria. They are leading because the citizens are clueless and powerless actually.

4 Likes

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by coolscott(m): 1:08am On Jan 19, 2017
Ioannes:

I won't argue forage diversity in Nigeria with you because that's not the point of discussion here.

If the FG feels that importing a particular genetically modified grass will increase the yield of cattle and milk, then it won't be a bad idea.

Oh and need I remind you that's there a number of reasons why grass may be modified among which is the fact that it may actually outlive ordinary grass in the time of drought.

Continued importation of such will not make any sense though, but I'm sure the importation is for cultivation here in Nigeria.

What I am saying is that the suggestion that our grass and forages are not nutritious enough is so nonsensical that the only wonder is why this is not 1960, with some one-eyed educated politician fraudulent spilling gabbage to the largely blind populace.

Please, let me help you understand the grossness of the stupid idea and why it feels just too difficult for one too bear.

Firstly, the approximate nutrient content of every herb, grass or forage identified as being able to serve as food for farm animals is known and properly documented. The process for determining nutrient content is called PROXIMATE ANALYSIS.

Do you know the nutrient composition of our legumes and grasses as compared to those found elsewhere? Do you know what makes them high in nutrients and what may make then not so rich in nutrients?

If we assume some factors are affecting our grasses so they are not as nutritious as they should be, so the solution is to import the grass right?

Our rice production has not been up to par with that of many other countries worldwide and what did the fed govt do? It banned the importation of rice. It banned it because everybody knows that with improved cultural practices the rice (which we consume) will yield more.

Now our healthy grasses are doing very well and someone comes up with the lie that they are not doing well and because they are not doing well, we should allocate millions upon million to import...?

Now let me let you know that legumes are always rich in nutrients. It is in their nature to.

As for grasses, when they are young, they are very nutritious. When they grow older, they lose their nutritive value but the fiber content does increase and fiber is also good for the animals.

Grasses that grow among legumes can benefit from the legumes as the legumes provide a nice supply of nitrogen to the soil, which is good for other plants growing on the same soil.

Genetically modified plants are looked down upon in the developed world. In fact, just about all of Europe has banned THE IMPORTATION of all genetically modified agric produce, and for good reason too. Beef from cattle that got feed genetically modified plants will not be spared the contamination and categorisation as GM product because genetically modified material was involved in making it.

I know the govt and minister did not mention anything about GM grass and that is just your inclusion but it is good to make it clear that any kind of rigmarolling only brings us to the conclusion that the whole idea came from a profoundly stupid place that the rest of us still cannot identify or explain.

There are only 2 options here: Either stupidity or fraud.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by tundafayaBuhari: 5:50am On Jan 19, 2017
Buhari is there leader what do you expect? No sensible human being is in APC. They are all foolish people.

1 Like

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by ivandragon: 7:21am On Jan 19, 2017
Ioannes:

sorry to jump in, but I don't think the issue is with the importation of 'foreign grass' per se, its that the FG shouldn't be the one importing the grass.

let those who are in the business of cattle rearing do the importing, not the FG.

if the FG truly feels it most intervene in some way, then it should set up special research grants in the Universities of Agriculture to look at developing a specie/species of grass suitable for cattle.

the way out of this is still ranching... if you want to be in the cattle business, get into ranching. they can import all the foreign grass they want.

2 Likes

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Nobody: 7:30am On Jan 19, 2017
ivandragon:

sorry to jump in, but I don't think the issue is with the importation of 'foreign grass' per se, its that the FG shouldn't be the one importing the grass.

let those who are in the business of cattle rearing do the importing, not the FG.

if the FG truly feels it most intervene in some way, then it should set up special research grants in the Universities of Agriculture to look at developing a specie/species of grass suitable for cattle.

the way out of this is still ranching... if you want to be in the cattle business, get into ranching. they can import all the foreign grass they want.

Please don't apologize, it's a free-for-all.

Your idea sounds good. But remember we're talking of illiterate nomads whose family for hundreds of generation have always driven cattle from one place to another.

In fact, it has become tradition.

Maybe another solution is for the government to partner with private organizations like IITA to produce such grass. We know our universities are deficient when it comes to research otherwise Nigeria won't remain as it is today.
Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by DelGardo: 7:39am On Jan 19, 2017
coolscott:

What I am saying is that the suggestion that are grass and forages are not nutritious enough is so nonsensical that the only wonder is why this is not 1960, with some one-eyed educated politician fraudulent spilling gabbage to the largely blind populace.

Please, let me help you understand the grossness of the stupid idea and why it feels just too difficult for one too bear.

Firstly, the approximate nutrient content of every herb, grass or forage identified as being able to serve as food for farm animals is known and properly documented. The process for determining nutrient content is called PROXIMATE ANALYSIS.

Do you know the nutrient composition of our legumes and grasses as compared to those found elsewhere? Do you know what makes them high in nutrients and what may make then not so rich in nutrients?

If we assume some factors are affecting our grasses so they are not as nutritious as they should be, so the solution is to import the grass right?

Our rice production has not been up to par with that of many other countries worldwide and what did the fed govt do? It banned the importation of rice. It banned it because everybody knows that with improved cultural practices the rice (which we consume) will yield more.

Now our healthy grasses are doing very well and someone comes up with the lie that they are not doing well and because they are not doing well, we should allocate millions upon million to import...?

Now let me let you know that legumes are always rich in nutrients. It is in their nature to.

As for grasses, when they are young, they are very nutritious. When they grow older, they lose their nutritive value but the fiber content does increase and fiber is also good for the animals.

Grasses that grow among legumes can benefit from the legumes as the legumes provide a nice supply of nitrogen to the soil, which is good for other plants growing in the same soil.

Genetically modified plants are looked down upon in the developed world. In fact, just about all of Europe has banned THE IMPORTATION of all genetically modified agric produce, and for good reason too. Beef from cattle that got feed genetically modified plants will not be spared the contamination and categorisation as GM product because genetically modified material was involved in making it.

I know the govt and minister did not mention anything about GM grass and that is just your inclusion but it is good to make it clear that any kind of rigmarolling only brings us to the conclusion that the whole idea came from a profoundly stupid place that the rest of us still cannot identify or explain.

There are only 2 options here: Either stupidity or fraud.

You appear to have some idea about these matters but a few questions will reveal that you have set out to mislead people here on.

- Can you please mention one type of grass that we have in Nigeria that compares with alfafa (mind you alfafa is not the grass targeted) in terms of meat and dairy production?

- are you aware that non of the grass grown traditional produces seeds?

- Are u aware that because they don't have seeds only vegetative propagation is possible with local grass and that that makes growing them very problematic?

- Are you aware that only grass seeds will be imported for growing in Nigeria based on FG's proposal not actual grass?

- Are you also aware that the biggest cattle farm in the world in Saudi Arabia feeds the animals with imported grass?

- Are you aware that Cassava and Palm oil producing countries imported seeds from Nigeria and have gone ahead to overtake us in production of these crops?

If properly done we will witness reduced friction between herdsmen and local communities, experience higher yield in meat and milk as well as have export potentials that will grow GDP and foreign reserves.

Stop all the sensationalism.

1 Like

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Nobody: 7:43am On Jan 19, 2017
Eastactivist:

The foolish People did it by thinking idiotically that they have the power to control others(non graduates) because of a fking degree they got from tertiary institution.

Now they've know that power when held by someone the resultant effect doesn't discriminate.

Power lords over education if you like get PhD... That's what they dunno and that's the aftereffects Nigerians are suffering.

Mennnnnn na word you talk so o

2 Likes

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by ivandragon: 7:44am On Jan 19, 2017
Ioannes:

Please don't apologize, it's a free-for-all.

Your idea sounds good. But remember we're talking of illiterate nomads whose family for hundreds of generation have always driven cattle from one place to another.

In fact, it has become tradition.

Maybe another solution is for the government to partner with private organizations like IITA to produce such grass. We know our universities are deficient when it comes to research otherwise Nigeria won't remain as it is today.

this raises another issue...

how come our 'herdsmen' are still illiterate in this century? or are they just pretending?

people who listen to radios often, digest the information, know much about geography, know how to use various weapons etc, cannot be termed illiterate... or at least, not in the absolute sense of it.

our universities are what they are because of situations like this, rather than challenge them, we take short cuts by looking for 'imported' solutions.

1 Like

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Nobody: 7:48am On Jan 19, 2017
ivandragon:

this raises another issue...

how come our 'herdsmen' are still illiterate in this century? or are they just pretending?

people who listen to radios often, digest the information, know much about geography, know how to use various weapons etc, cannot be termed illiterate... or at least, not in the absolute sense of it.

our universities are what they are because of situations like this, rather than challenge them, we take short cuts by looking for 'imported' solutions.

You want to open another can of maggots. No even go there bro. They listen to BBC Hausa on their radio sets, not English.

They are very illiterate fa, unless of course you're implying that they aren't herdsmen but terrorists masquerading as herdsmen, which is a possibility.
Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by greenermodels: 8:01am On Jan 19, 2017
Ioannes:

you need a ranch to successfully plant and manage any pasture, unfortunately buhari have rejected ranches and preferred grazing reserves. the current crises in southern kaduna was caused by the designation of villages as grazing reserves. Fulani herdsmen should buy land and settle in ranches maybe with state government assistance. here in anambra,we have ranches and you're free to plant any grass of your choice, be it foreign, exotic, genetically engineered or whatever.

1 Like

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by SpecialAdviser(m): 8:11am On Jan 19, 2017
Ioannes:

Do you really think that if Igbos are are Nomadics, they will wait for the government to import grass for them? Problem is we have few people in Nigeria with Igbo's business spirit.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Nobody: 8:12am On Jan 19, 2017
greenermodels:
you need a ranch to successfully plant and manage any pasture, unfortunately buhari have rejected ranches and preferred grazing reserves. the current crises in southern kaduna was caused by the designation of villages as grazing reserves. Fulani herdsmen should buy land and settle in ranches maybe with state government assistance. here in anambra,we have ranches and you're free to plant any grass of your choice, be it foreign, exotic, genetically engineered or whatever.

Since I'm new to this can you pls enlighten me what the difference is between a ranch and a grazing reserve in this regard.
Re: Just Wondering How We Came To This Level Intellectually [photo] by Nobody: 8:23am On Jan 19, 2017
SpecialAdviser:
Do you really think that if Igbos are are Nomadics, they will wait for the government to import grass for them? Problem is we have few people in Nigeria with Igbo's business spirit.

Lol. I will accommodate your bragging. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Igbos have a very radically different tradition (way of life) to the Fulanis.

If you were brought up to value cattle rearing more than formal education and to hold in high esteem the practice of roaming with your cattle, then yes you will not see anything wrong with grazing the land rather than importing grass.

Sometimes, you need the ability to be able to put yourselves in others' shoes just to understand.

You esteem trade, that's why you think it's more superior to cattle grazing.

Yet I'd prefer to have a nation of cattle grazers who will be able to provide quality beef, hide, milk, manure, and poultry feeds from cow horns for export than a nation of traders who only import so as to sell at higher prices.

Both complement each other, the producer and the trader, and both deserve the support of government.

Your lifestyle of trading is not superior to other lifestyles. Take note.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why PDP Governors & Elders Must Ensure 35% Youth Representation In The New NWC / Today I've Lost My Respect For PDP / Deputy Governors - Any Law Forbidding Overtaking Their Convoy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.