Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,703 members, 7,805,889 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:03 AM

Two APC Chieftains Sent To Jail In Edo State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Two APC Chieftains Sent To Jail In Edo State (759 Views)

APC Chieftains And Thousands Decamp To PDP In Akwa Ibom / Buhari, Tinubu, Akande, Other APC Chieftains In Closed Door Meeting / President Buhari Hosted APC Chieftains To Dinner At The State House (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two APC Chieftains Sent To Jail In Edo State by toogbasky(m): 7:10pm On Jan 18, 2017
Two APC chieftains have been arraigned in court following a petition sent to the police by Chief Osaro Idah that they threatened his life

- The chieftains, Osakpamwan Eriyo and Sunday Osagbona, have been remanded in Oko medium security prison after Oredo magistrates court ruled that it lacked jurisdiction to hear the case

- Supporters of the APC chieftains staged protests at the headquarters of the Edo state police command to demand their release

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the party chieftains Osakpamwan Eriyo and Sunday Osagbona, were charged with the attempted murder of Chief Osaro Idah, secretary of the state’s APC.

The APC chieftains were arrested following a petition sent to the police by Chief Osaro Idah that they threatened his life

Eriyo is the state youth leader of the APC and chairman of the Road Transport Employers Association (RTEAN), while Sunday is the Ward 3 chairman of the APC in Oredo local government

The Chief Magistrate Mrs M. C. Ojobo, directed that both accused persons be remanded in Oko medium security prison after she ruled that the court lacked jurisdiction to entertain the case.

Ojobo said the prison has proper health facilities and directed that the case file be sent to the Directorate of Public Prosecution for legal advice.

While in court, one of the accused persons, Eriyo had protested being handcuffed in the court room.

He said: “Am I a criminal? Did I kill anybody? Why are they charging me for attempted murder?

“I didn’t do anything. It is the governor that is oppressing me.”
“I didn’t do anything. It is the governor that is oppressing me.”

READ ALSO: Presient Buhari will not descend to Wike’s level – Presidency

Their counsel, Usunobun Evbayiro, urged the court to grant them custody in the police clinic because of their ill-health.

He said his clients were hypertensive, asthmatic and diabetic and need constant medical attention.

“The first accused person collapsed in police station. It was the police doctors that revived him.

” I urge you to use your discretion to order him to be kept in police hospital so that police doctors can attend to him. It is for him not to die in custody," he said.

The case was adjourned till January 13, 2017 for mention.

Prior their arraignment, supporters of the APC chieftains staged protests at the headquarters of the Edo state police command to demand their release.

The police, however, ignored the protesters and whisked the accused, under heavy security, to the court.

Similarly officials of RTEAN and suspected thugs attempted to storm the court room but they were barred by the police.

In other news, Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti state on Thursday, December 29, 2016 demanded the immediate resignation of President Muhammadu Buhari and other top officials in sensitive offices in his government.

Fayose said this just as he named the many problems that he said the president has refused to attend to while facing perceived enemies of his government.

According to him, Buhari has become directionless and facing issues not within his purview as president.
Reported by naij.com
Re: Two APC Chieftains Sent To Jail In Edo State by ozoebuka1(m): 7:22pm On Jan 18, 2017
OK what happens next
Re: Two APC Chieftains Sent To Jail In Edo State by 48noble(m): 7:36pm On Jan 18, 2017
anarchy looming in Ekiti
Re: Two APC Chieftains Sent To Jail In Edo State by Qmerit(m): 7:39pm On Jan 18, 2017
What sort of conflicting news is this?
One headline but 4 differ stories!
Re: Two APC Chieftains Sent To Jail In Edo State by mightyhazell: 7:57pm On Jan 18, 2017
Ha

(1) (Reply)

Throwback Picture Of Nigeria's Sport Minister, Solomon Dalung / Real Reason Police Ig Is In London / What Is Wrong With This Shiites Protest Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.