Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,410 members, 7,808,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:17 PM

Petition: Stop Nigerian Comedian From Promoting Hate Crimes Against Gays - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Petition: Stop Nigerian Comedian From Promoting Hate Crimes Against Gays (642 Views)

Meet The Most Talked About Comedian From Calabar; Comedian Koboko Biography / Cute Fat Nigerian Comedian Begging For Hug On The Street / ‘Muslim Hate Crimes spike in London after attack’ – Mayor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Petition: Stop Nigerian Comedian From Promoting Hate Crimes Against Gays by nspodcast1: 11:37am On Jan 19, 2017
Nigerian comedian, Ogunsbaba with real names Akpobome Ogude has released a video promoting and encouraging violent hate crimes against homosexuals.

The video, titled “The Lekki Gay,” depicts a gay man being visited by a friend whom he finds attractive but who brings along two other men to the bedroom to threaten him with sexual assault with a banana and increasingly larger vegetables. The video, featuring light-hearted background music, ends with the video going dark as the assault occurs.

In November 2016, the video skit appeared on YouTube, where it is attracting a lot of views. On Jan. 5, it was posted on the Facebook page of Gossip Mill Nigeria, where it has been seen more than 290,000 times.

The LGBT community in Nigeria is outraged and seriously concerned that this video will cause harm as it is clearly promoting and encouraging hate and violent acts toward homosexual persons in a country where homosexuals are misunderstood and deeply hated.

The scenario depicted in the video is a typical example of what gay persons actually experience on a regular basis in the country from homophobes, and Ogunsbaba seems to be making a joke of this very painful and traumatic experience.

The acts portrayed as a joke in the video is actually not a joke at all. This is a human right violation as according to the Nigerian constitution in chapter 4 section 34 which states that;

“Every individual is entitled to respect for the dignity of his person, and accordingly and no person shall be subject to torture or to inhuman or degrading treatment”

NoStrings has taken steps to first report the video to YouTube for actions to be taken, and encourages people who understand the damage that this video will cause to sexual minority persons in the country.

NoStrings has also initiated a petition against gossipMill.com and Akpobome Ogude AKA Ogunsbaba to both take the videos down from the platforms where they published it such as websites, blogs, and Youtube channels to stop its circulation and Ogunsbaba to particularly apologize to the Nigerian LGBT community for joking with a very sensitive issue of great concern.

Follow here to sign the petition: https://nostringsng.com/petition-ogunsbaba-violence/

3 Likes

Re: Petition: Stop Nigerian Comedian From Promoting Hate Crimes Against Gays by Airoflaw(m): 11:53am On Jan 19, 2017
Has Nigeria legalized Gay ? why do we have LGBT community here....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Petition: Stop Nigerian Comedian From Promoting Hate Crimes Against Gays by Ronaldinnioh(m): 11:50am On Jan 20, 2017
Ochongoloko:

Below is Nspodcast Pics Facebook name Mike Daemon
using Nairaland to promote Homosexuality.

Pls Admin Ban him for using Nairaland for Gay meetings.

Are you serious. I have been looking for his face
Re: Petition: Stop Nigerian Comedian From Promoting Hate Crimes Against Gays by nspodcast1: 1:08pm On Jan 20, 2017
If you are reasonable, you will know that the post above, has nothing to do with gay meetings.
Ronaldinnioh:

Are you serious. I have been looking for his face
Re: Petition: Stop Nigerian Comedian From Promoting Hate Crimes Against Gays by Ronaldinnioh(m): 3:48pm On Jan 20, 2017
Your picture will soon go viral. Am sending it to gossip mills Nigeria.
Re: Petition: Stop Nigerian Comedian From Promoting Hate Crimes Against Gays by Ronaldinnioh(m): 11:27am On Jan 21, 2017
Let me pity you. I would have sent your picture to gossip mill but I just went through your FB account as I saw how sympathetic you became. If not I would have shared it all over blogs with your post and comments in LGBT matter @nspodcast1

(1) (Reply)

Split (2016) The Movie / Where Can I Learn How To Swim In Port Harcourt? / Paris Police Say Rape Of Black Man By Officers' An 'accident' (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.