Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,017 members, 7,799,473 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:04 PM

Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job (8511 Views)

Should I Stay With My Job Or Go With This New Job? / Otorisirieze Obi-young Gets New Job After Sack / 15 Tips For Your First Day At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by Nobody: 9:15am On Jan 20, 2017
You know the importance of a first impression. As a jobseeker, a first impression was very valuable; now that you’ve accepted a job offer, first impressions are again of critical importance.

First impressions about people often turn into long-term perceptions and opinions. This works well for people who make positive first impressions but can be a negative for people who make negative first impressions. Early days are when your boss and colleagues form the most lasting impressions about you. This is when they make assessments about your ‘typical’ behavior, and what ‘type’ of person you are. If you have any attendance or punctuality issues in the first few days or weeks, you’ve already lost a significant battle — their confidence in you. People will take you as seriously as you seem to take yourself and your work.

During those first days in a new workplace, where you are meeting your new coworkers, first impressions about you and your future potential can make a major impact on your success with the organization.

Have a Positive Attitude
Nothing works better to improve people’s first impression of you more than having a positive attitude. Let your enthusiasm for being part of the team and the organization show through to everyone you interact with. Leave your personal problems at home and concentrate on radiating your excitement for this new opportunity.

Dress Professionally
You should never underestimate the importance of dressing professionally. Studies show that people make a judgment about you within seven seconds of meeting you, and the way you dress can impact this impression significantly. In the beginning, take care to dress professionally even on casual days. In the early days of a new job, you just never know when you’ll be called out to meet a top manager or key client. Perfectly groomed means efficient and reliable (in people’s minds); unkempt means disorganized and therefore difficult to trust with different assignments. After awhile, people realize these things do not necessarily correspond, but initially, your looks and dress are your representation to them.

Show Your Team Spirit
You are now part of a work team, and teams work together to solve problems and get the job done. Show loyalty to your co-workers by focusing more — initially, at least — on sharing recognition with the team. Always give credit where credit is due to gain the trust of your coworkers.

Learn Coworkers’ Names Quickly
No one expects you to have everyone’s name down pat by the end of the first day or week, but if you are bad with names, now is the time to research some memory-aid tricks you can use to help you remember your coworkers’ names. Make it a priority to learn the names of every member of your team. And if you are in a situation in which you forget a person’s name, the best solution is simply to apologize and ask again.

Ask Questions/Ask for Help
No one expects you to know everything when you first start a new job so feel free to ask questions or ask for help when you need it. Remember that it’s better to ask for clarification before you’ve spent time completing a task the wrong way. It can be easy to let pride get in the way when you first start a job but pretending you know things you don’t isn’t the wise path. Listen to your coworker, ask questions and communication openly with your supervisors about any concerns that arise. No one expects you to know it all in the first weeks and months of a new job.

Take Notes and Go to Orientation
Unless you have a photographic memory — and few of us do — take notes on all the systems and rules of your new organization. Attend all orientation sessions and accept any training that you are offered. Nothing will get you up to speed at a new job faster.

Take Initiative
In most situations, you will be given small doses of work at the beginning of a new job. Starting slowly allows you to get your feet wet without getting overwhelmed. As you finish assignments and are ready to handle a bigger workload, take the initiative and ask for more assignments. Be proactive. Don’t wait for an assignment. Being a self-starter is a great way to make a strong first impression at a new job. There will be people who need help, and they will appreciate your efforts to start making an immediate impact. Many times, there may be some tasks that you can accomplish with a little guidance, which will probably free up time for someone who needs to work on more important items.

Learn Everything You Can About Your New Employer
In theory, you should have already done your homework during the interviewing process, but there is always a lot more to learn once you’re on the inside. Get an employee handbook and study it. In addition, gather all those reports and company literature and read as much as you can to become an expert on your organization.

Arrive Early, Leave Late and Don’t Call in Sick
Be on time, come in early, stay a little later. Remember, you can’t be a go-getter and clock-watcher at the same time so plan to be at work a little longer than your eight-hour shift. There’s nothing that can affect your reputation faster than routinely coming into work late or leaving work early. Especially in these first days or weeks on the job, observe the flow of the office and be sure you are coming in earlier and leaving later than the majority of your coworkers. Also, don’t take long lunches, especially in the beginning. Once you understand the office culture better, you may be able to shift your hours or take longer lunches but in the beginning, err on the side of spending more time at work to make a great first impression.

Establish a Good Attendance Record
It should go without saying that it’s important to show up to work every day and establish a good attendance record. Yes, there will be emergencies, and, yes, you may get sick, but as best you can, try to make it to work every day during those first weeks and months on the job.

Avoid Office Politics and Gossip
The workplace can be full of rumors and gossip. Your mission should be to stay above the fray. Take care not to associate the office gossips and don’t get involved in any office trash talk or politics, especially in the beginning. Repeating gossip will do nothing to help you make a good first impression at a new job. Stay out of the office politics for as long as possible. It’s inevitable that you will be exposed to them sooner or later, and you will most likely participate in them as well as it’s human nature. But stay out of the game for the first few months.

Show Appreciation
Nothing works like kindness and genuine appreciation. Show your appreciation to everyone who helps you learn the ropes during your first days on the job — from your coworkers to receptionists to the folks in human resources. Recognizing those who have helped you get acclimated will show your gratitude, which will do wonders for making a good first impression.

Find a Mentor
You don’t need to jump on this task your first day, but as you get introduced to senior staff, begin thinking about developing a mentoring relationship with a senior person in the organization. Mentoring has numerous benefits, from a simple sounding board to someone who helps direct and advance your career within the organization.

Get and Stay Organized
If you’re one of those super-organized people, this tip will be easy for you. The rest of us, however, need to develop a system for keeping track of meetings, appointments, assignments, and projects. Get an organizer or planner and keep on top of all your work. Use your Outlook or Apple calendar, with reminders set for important deadlines. Make an Excel spreadsheet or just write a simple to-do list at the beginning and end of every day. Everyone has a system that works best for them. Try different organization techniques until you find the perfect one; you certainly don’t want to miss an early key deadline or meeting in the early days of a new job.

Being the newest member of the organization — the rookie — is both challenging and exciting. You’ll be faced with both difficulties and opportunities, and your goal should be to make the most of all situations. Don’t worry if you don’t make a perfect first impression in those early days on the job — few of us ever do. Remember to relax, keep your mind open, get to know your team members, and do your work. These things should help you go far in making a positive and lasting impression at your new job.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by Olisa4all: 10:10am On Jan 20, 2017
Highly educative and informative post

1 Like

Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by Nutase: 7:22am On Jan 28, 2017
MsDelilah how is Samson now. Hope he can see now?

1 Like

Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by Franchise21(m): 7:23am On Jan 28, 2017
Noted

1 Like

Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by nmreports: 7:23am On Jan 28, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by daewoorazer(m): 7:23am On Jan 28, 2017
So good things can come from the mouth of Delilah....

Samson yaf suffered oooo

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by jeeqaa7(m): 7:24am On Jan 28, 2017
I will use it when I get a job

6 Likes

Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by Emodeee: 7:24am On Jan 28, 2017
na wa oh. coming from delilah? i think say na only evil you sabicheesy.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by jomboliski(m): 7:25am On Jan 28, 2017
Very educative may God grant all those searching for job a job...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by dfrost: 7:26am On Jan 28, 2017
All on point. Nothing far from the truth.
Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by dingbang(m): 7:42am On Jan 28, 2017
Don't call in sick ...

Calling in sick is just a deal breaker. . even if you fall sick, get to work sick.. Its better the boss touches you and finds out u are sick and approves you to leave than u calling in sick...m
Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by sammykari99(m): 7:42am On Jan 28, 2017
I really love this,thanks OP for this informative piece.

1 Like

Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by KillerBeauty(f): 7:44am On Jan 28, 2017
I don't do that mentor thing
Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by BE811APP: 8:15am On Jan 28, 2017
Nice Points..
I will keep that in mind as I plan to start in a new position soon..
Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by MVLOX(m): 8:29am On Jan 28, 2017
Nice I nid to really practicalize dis
Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by oluwayimika123: 8:42am On Jan 28, 2017
Nice 1 OP buh I'm finding my new job really boring as in very very boring. I Ve been dre 4 2 weeks now and what I Ve noticed is everybody minds dre own biz and most of D ladies form a lot. The sadden part is most of my team members are ladies and dey form a lot dey talk 2 dre selves alone as in ah dunno. Ah dunno if I can ctually survive in da environment cos I love an environment where evry1 laff and gist and not forming 2 much seriousness. I Ve actually worked in diff organization and it has nva been like Dis in d 2nd week of my resumption worst 1st week. Ah don't get excited Goin 2 d office @ all as in everything just weak me......

1 Like

Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by GeoOla25(m): 8:53am On Jan 28, 2017
noted...i will try it on my second Job when Addax oil and Gas hires me
Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by FaroukM(m): 9:24am On Jan 28, 2017
Very educative
Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by macsilver(m): 9:37am On Jan 28, 2017
In one word, become a total slave!?
Okay
Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by ademasta(m): 12:59pm On Jan 28, 2017
Great
Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by youngelder(m): 2:08pm On Jan 28, 2017
quite educative...

you should always be ready to

1. unlearn

2. learn

3. re-learn

2 Likes

Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by aamstih: 5:59pm On Jan 28, 2017
This was quite timely.
Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by XaintJoel20: 11:46pm On Feb 26, 2017
oluwayimika123:
Nice 1 OP buh I'm finding my new job really boring as in very very boring. I Ve been dre 4 2 weeks now and what I Ve noticed is everybody minds dre own biz and most of D ladies form a lot. The sadden part is most of my team members are ladies and dey form a lot dey talk 2 dre selves alone as in ah dunno. Ah dunno if I can ctually survive in da environment cos I love an environment where evry1 laff and gist and not forming 2 much seriousness. I Ve actually worked in diff organization and it has nva been like Dis in d 2nd week of my resumption worst 1st week. Ah don't get excited Goin 2 d office @ all as in everything just weak me......
Re: Tips To Help You On Your First Day At A New Job by spenca: 7:30am On Feb 27, 2017
Just ask questions. Learning those names ain't easy so apologize when you don't remember and as again.

(1) (Reply)

Www.joinpg.com / Is An Mba From Lagoos Business School (lbs) Worth It? / Salary After IPPIS CAPTURING

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.