Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,546 members, 7,809,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:02 PM

Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President (19818 Views)

Vladimir Putin Sworn In For 4th Term, Rides In New Russian-Made Limo / Jerusalem: ''to Know Who The 45th US President Is, Read Isaiah 45'' - FFK / Emmerson Mnangagwa Sworn In As President Of Zimbabwe (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by johntaiwo123(m): 6:47pm On Jan 20, 2017
Donald Trump becomes 45th president as protests turn violent in Washington DC.

Donald Trump has been officially sworn in as the 45th president of the United States.

The inauguration took place outside US Capitol in Washington, DC on Friday, ushering in a new political era.

"Together we will determine the course of America and the world for many, many years to come," Trump said in his inaugural speech.

"We will face challenges, we will confront hardships, but we will get the job done."

He added: "For too long a small group in our nations capital has reaped the rewards of government. Washington flourished, but the people did not share in its wealth."

He also pledged to unite the world against "radical Islam".

After finishing his inaugural speech, Barack Obama, the outgoing president, tapped his shoulder and said, "Good job, good job".

Trump, a 70-year old businessman, has no previous political experience. He is a former reality TV star whose campaign dominated headlines over his shocking comments on minorities, women and rival politicians.

During the run up to the November 8 election, he promised to ban Muslims from entering the US. He also called for a wall to deter Mexicans from travelling to America. Later, a recording of him saying that he grabs women's genitals when the mood takes him was leaked.

Speaking at the inauguration, Chuck Shumer, a senator from New York, said that America is now living in a "challenging and tumultuous time" ahead of the oaths.

"Faith in our government, our institutions and even our country can erode," he said. "Today we celebrate one of democracy's core attributes: the peaceful transfer of power."

Chief Justice John Roberts administered the oath of office, which was witnessed by Trump's wife, the First Lady Melania Trump.

Mike Pence, vice president, was also sworn in ahead of a crowd of an estimated 900,000 people.

Clashes and protests

About 28,000 security personnel, kilometres of fencing, street barricades, and trucks laden with sand were part of the security cordon around eight-square kilometres of central Washington for the ceremony.

In Washington, DC, anti-Trump protesters were pepper-sprayed by police officers in sporadic clashes.

Black-clad activists protesting Trump's inauguration smashed shop and car windows in the capital on Friday and fought with police in riot gear who responded with pepper spray and stun grenades.

About 500 people, some wearing masks and kerchiefs over their faces, marched through the city's downtown, breaking the windows of a Bank of America branch, a McDonald's outlet and a Starbucks shop, all symbols of the American capitalist system.

The crowd, which carried at least one sign that read "Make Racists Afraid Again", also vandalised several cars and hurled trash cans and newspaper vending boxes into the streets before being largely dispersed by police.

"The message I want to send is that Trump does not represent this country. He represents the corporate interests," said Jessica Reznicek, a 35-year-old Catholic aid worker from Des Moines, Iowa, who participated in a peaceful march.

Not far from the White House, protesters scuffled with police, at one point throwing aluminum chairs at an outdoor cafe.

Earlier, liberal activists with a separate group called Disrupt J20 intermittently blocked multiple security checkpoints leading to the largest public viewing area for the ceremony. Several were led away by police.

Disrupt J20 protest organiser Alli McCracken, 28, of Washington, said the group was voicing opposition to Trump's discriminatory comments about women, undocumented immigrants and Muslims.

"We have a lot of people of diverse backgrounds who are against US imperialism and we feel Trump will continue that legacy," McCracken said on a gray morning with light rain.

Trump supporters also flooded into the capital, many sporting shirts and hats bearing his "Make America Great Again" campaign slogan.

Other protests and demonstrations took place across the country, and in the rest of the world.

Watch on Youtube here==>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v7GIWtX8us

Source: http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/01/donald-trump-sworn-president-170120163850452.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by chriskosherbal(m): 6:49pm On Jan 20, 2017
Congratulations trump

May your reign be peaceful.....

8 Likes

Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:54pm On Jan 20, 2017
Welcome the POTUS, may you take America to greater heights..

6 Likes

Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by Draei: 8:37pm On Jan 20, 2017
A new era full of surprises
for the world at large...

3 Likes

Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by teebaxy(m): 8:37pm On Jan 20, 2017
How far with professor Wolf soyinka..... Has he arrived?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by budosky(m): 8:38pm On Jan 20, 2017
Ok now
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by Matildahenshaw(f): 8:38pm On Jan 20, 2017
IGBOS love this man. Now run it like its business.

6 Likes

Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by veekid(m): 8:38pm On Jan 20, 2017
War! I smell war
More than 95 has been arrested over protest
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by abumeinben(m): 8:38pm On Jan 20, 2017

Light nor even dey to watch..Radio battery don cross. NCC must nor cash me say I dey stream yutub

Our president dey on leave. embarassed The man use medical checkup take cover up for the fact say deh nor invitation am.

I go soon pack go Canada...I go dey commentation from there.

4 Likes

Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by oluFELAxy(m): 8:38pm On Jan 20, 2017
Thank God
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jan 20, 2017
Such a divisive president
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by DIKEnaWAR: 8:39pm On Jan 20, 2017
Bomb the hell outta them!
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by fergieboy: 8:40pm On Jan 20, 2017
And jammel abi na jamiu rule for 22yrs yet him no won handover

What's wrong with some African leaders

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by Heryorh: 8:40pm On Jan 20, 2017
lipsrsealed
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by Airforce1(m): 8:40pm On Jan 20, 2017
Success Boss
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by fergie001: 8:40pm On Jan 20, 2017
D.J. Trump,Make America Great Again
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by Royalfurnitures: 8:40pm On Jan 20, 2017
May your reign be peaceful and prosperous

Pls check out my signature for quality and durable furniture
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by shadrach77: 8:40pm On Jan 20, 2017
The man who will make America great again
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by VickyRotex(f): 8:41pm On Jan 20, 2017
cool cool
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by ruggedtimi(m): 8:41pm On Jan 20, 2017
It all started like a joke...Mrs clinton now cry
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by Nelo042: 8:41pm On Jan 20, 2017
Atlast...congrats sir
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by Onopa(m): 8:41pm On Jan 20, 2017
The terrorist in white house is finally gone

Hail Trump ...Hail Victory

6 Likes

Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by emperorAY(m): 8:41pm On Jan 20, 2017
Congrats d pussy grabber

5 Likes

Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by Matildahenshaw(f): 8:41pm On Jan 20, 2017
abumeinben:

Light nor even dey to watch..Radio battery don cross.

Our president dey on leave. embarassed The man use medical checkup take cover up for the fact say deh nor invitation am.

I go soon pack go Canada...I go dey commentation from there.
eyya baba really hit you hard with recession. All this bomb even inside pidgin. Maka wetin dey do u nd tion?. Dont tell me its intentional, I refuse to accept that.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by Raymondfayowole(m): 8:41pm On Jan 20, 2017
why is trump mouth always like that
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by brunofarad(m): 8:42pm On Jan 20, 2017
Nice one
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by adebayo201: 8:42pm On Jan 20, 2017
i am here
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by clems88(m): 8:42pm On Jan 20, 2017
Hope it wount turn out to be like buhari government undecided
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by Omudia11: 8:43pm On Jan 20, 2017
Yeah yeah
Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by Enemyofpeace: 8:43pm On Jan 20, 2017
I know sey before next Saturday dis man go order buhari to give us our Biafra and release nnamdi kanugrin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump Sworn In As 45th US President by SexyNairalander: 8:44pm On Jan 20, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sudan Captures Vulture With Israeli Spying Device / Florida Shop Owner Powerlifts Obama (Picture) / Egyptian Protesters Push An Armoured Police Van Off A Bridge,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.