Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,902 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:44 AM

OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? (42632 Views)

OAU Vs UNILAG- Students Battle Each Other On Twitter / Monica Osetobe Osagie Is The Student In Sex For Marks Scandal – OAU / OAU Students Celebrate Their Costume Day In Style. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by daneni1(m): 3:51pm On Jan 22, 2017
prinzeepule:
OAU syllabus is unnecessarily wide and I believed it need revision.
OAU has a better social life
Good educational facilities - Some OAU facilities are old buh I know few are been replaced presently.
Hostel facilities is a NO NO.
OAU is the safest campus in Nigeria "quote me anywhere"
There is no Oppression whatsoever
Religion - OAU can be religious!
OAU is characterized by Unnecessary stress
OAU will groom into anything you wanna become only if you are ready.
OAU admin should be worse.
You can't beat OAU when it comes to strike buh I believe LAUTECH is about to dethrone great Ife.
and I believe OAU is the only Sane campus in Nigeria.
OAU calendar is not as slow as people think. Come to think of it, with the incessant strike we are always ranked high and stable academic calendar is part of the criteria in ranking unis. That should tell you something.

For the record about 75% of VC's in the country are OAU product.
NB* OAU, UI n others should buckle up because I see COVENANT UNIVERSITY taking over soon

confirm
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Enemyofpeace: 3:54pm On Jan 22, 2017
ajepako:

My alma Mata..LASU and UNILAG..

Wey you go like work for Amala joint and Amala extra for free amala and gbegiri...

Yeye boi.... tongue tongue tongue
ajepako can lie

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jan 22, 2017
wheesin:
I believe the better by far University of Ilorin is better undecided
Lmfa
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 22, 2017
Jarus:
Like many people have said, for OAU, it is a wrong time to compare. OAU is probably in its all-time low, and the popular views here reflect that. Those arguing in favour of OAU are arguing from a weak side.

We had similar debate on NL here in 2009 and OAU had the most positive review. https://www.nairaland.com/147071/unilag-vs-oau-ife-vs-ui

Thank you for this. The worst thing that has ever happened to OAU is Tale Omole. The school literally went into oblivion during his time.
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by horpeyemmi66(m): 3:56pm On Jan 22, 2017
After being taught by two former VCs at 100L in the University of Ibadan...LASU (Prof Husain) and Prof BB Adeleke(lautech)...what more is there to say?

Many refer to her as the Premier University, some call her the ivory tower, but she would rather refer to herself as the first and the best.

University of Ibadan, the name that automatically confers respect on it's students anywhere...

5 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jan 22, 2017
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by brenister10: 4:00pm On Jan 22, 2017
Ronaldinnioh:

Why not?

Law students no lecture venue keep roaming about

Technology Students same thing keep roaming about

English Students same thing keep roaming about

SER 001 will occupy all the lecture venues on Tuesdays and Thursdays making other department uncomfortable

Come to the Hostels all those glorified Poultry halls filled with Pigs and Useless students who have refused to vacate their Hall of residence occuping Awo hall year in year out.

Na these same Awo guys dey floor una people academically and moreover, You calling Students in your Alma Mata Pigs and Useless, I doubt your sense of reasoning and probably, you were one of those who struggled to cope academically while in Ife.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jan 22, 2017
WesBreezy:
#ZIKITE

*sips coke*
Mellanbite
#smiles sheepishly
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jan 22, 2017
iamhorny:
OAU is just structure, but in administration, research and teaching, OAU is shit. Not to even talk of departmental and faculty beef and politics. Useless school. Dont know much of UI but with have i have heard from people who went there, i can tell it is far better.

Even Ilorin beats OAU in administration, research and teaching
Obviously from your tone, OAU rejected your admissions several times because you FAILED her Post UTME...It's not a must you attend Great Ife. Hence, you became an unilorite...Where they do Mago-mago to gain admission by connection. I know your type. Sorry, Average Student!

2 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by brenister10: 4:08pm On Jan 22, 2017
Ximenez:
You didn't answer my question. Have you been to any other university in Nigeria? If yes how many academic sessions did you spend there? Maybe you might find it funny that this your point of students roaming about can be related to by a student of UI and what made you think that OAU doesn't have more lecture theaters than UI?

You spent more than four years in a school and you don't even have one single good thing you can say about the school, if not the constant supply of electricity on campus, which UI can't boast of. Or the guaranteed security of the students on campus.

You sound more like someone who has been dealt a huge blow academically by OAU who is now seeking admission into UI, hence your infatuation with the latter.

Don't mind the girl, she wasn't able to withstand the academic rigors in Ife. Even though Ife had lots of issues but she coming here to run her mouth here against her Alma Mata shows Ife nearly skinned her alive with academic rigors.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by brenister10: 4:13pm On Jan 22, 2017
Ronaldinnioh:

Go and ask about other schools. They have GS building which offer this courses(Electives SEO,SEE,SET,SER,SEL,SEM) and why must they keeping using all lecture venues without having theirs.

You are the one who did not graduate from OAU because law Students from part one to Four occupy HSLT C and Sontimes B. They occupy BOOC, Boob and Booa. My dear you are blind self and I doubt if you did attend OAU self. Ask MTH Students who offer MTH 201 and 202 which lecture theatre they normally Use? It's always HSLT C which is a Lecture venue that ought to be used by Health Science Students making them end up using Labs know as MDL's. My dear ask question and I think you are not a Student or a graduate of OAU.

Then maybe you need to tell your rich dad to donate a lecture theatre to the University since you are an Alumni . Enough of lamentations, solution is what is needed

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by femarse: 4:13pm On Jan 22, 2017
I had a diploma from OAU 2yrs

BSC from UI 4yrs

I am still thinking of how to compare them on point by point basis cos that will mean writing a text book

conclusively I will go with UI, it still doesn't undermine OAU but my experience in both institution give UI an edge

4 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 22, 2017
Jarus:
Like many people have said, for OAU, it is a wrong time to compare. OAU is probably in its all-time low, and the popular views here reflect that. Those arguing in favour of OAU are arguing from a weak side.

We had similar debate on NL here in 2009 and OAU had the most positive review. https://www.nairaland.com/147071/unilag-vs-oau-ife-vs-ui

Pele..
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by brenister10: 4:19pm On Jan 22, 2017
Longman6:
I find it difficult to reconcile the sayings of certain individuals here and the realities on ground. on what basis are you comparing UI and OAU?UI has a better academic calendar than OAU,UI is fast becoming a fully fledged postgraduate institution with an dmission ratio of 65% postgraduate and 36% undergraduate, No university in Nigeria can attempt this especially in a school like OAU where a lot of MR's are lecturers. May i add that the university of Ibadan has produced the highest number of PHD graduates some of whom are lecturers in OAU.

When it comes to lecturers-student ratio, i dont think i have to compare statistics here
I finished from Ui in feb 2015 and finished NYSC in April 2016, You should ask my mates who went to OAU how NYSC is coming on.

UI is so merit driven that the present Dean of the faculty of Law is a lecturer from OAU, this is in a faculty that has lots of professors.That is yet to occur in OAU, the present Dean of the faculty of pharmacy was formerly in OAU. My point? UI attracts the best without disregard for merit or selfish egos.

While it is difficult to compare the values of their research papers and level of social impact, i take refuge in the international university ranking that has consistently placed UI ahead of OAU.

OAU is hard,unnecessary stressful and too traditional but UI is has direct approach to learning, the lecturers are student friendly, you can break barriers in UI if you are brilliant.

Note: Nigeria's educational system is noting to write home about but i rather not put OAU ahead of UI, i think Covenant might beat UI few decades from now

Though I am a graduate of Great Ife, Longman, I quite agree with you but disagree with the points you raised in the paragraphs 1 and 3. You really got the picture of happenings in Ife except those ones I mentioned. A cold bottle of Blackman for you bro....
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by brenister10: 4:31pm On Jan 22, 2017
Fussbot:
you are educated but not enlightened. Look at the etymology of the word "university" u will know y Oau fix different venues for different lectures. Succinctly,the word university is made of two words "universe" and "city" and it means community of people amongst other things. So if you think having all ur lectures at a fixated venue is comfort, I'm glad to let you know it's against all what a university is about. U can't be enlightened seated at one place all ur life.

This is not say however that oau has sufficient lecture theatres, but even if they had, they would still make u have a lecture at 1000 seaters and the next one at PG!

UI has the "universe" (base for education) but not the "city" (wide landscape for enlightment) unlike oau that has both. Ask u I students they hardly know the name of venues at other faculties because they are always at theirs only, unlike you that knows everywhere on campus!

Bro, I love your analysis.... You made my day. Don't mind the girl abi na boy wey dey form girl for nairaland. Yes, OAU has her own problem but it seems she was dealt a huge blow while in Ife that's why she couldn't see anything good in OAU

2 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by brenister10: 4:36pm On Jan 22, 2017
Ronaldinnioh:

I graduated from Economics. Get that into your thick Skull. If you are suffering from Amnesia, pls take your medication.

Even if you graduated from Ife, and you and I know the huge amount of wahala facing the school, for God sake, you should at least lay down your points in a Civil and diplomatic way and thinking of the best solution to solve them instead of ranting here on Nairaland. Grow up girl
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by BerryAnny(m): 4:39pm On Jan 22, 2017
Lorhdany:

He studied Business studies and administration at Al-Azhar university, Cairo, Egypt in the 1970s.
Ok then,Wizkid attended none 2 and d best frm both schools ar hailing him and shruggling 2 c him.

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by brenister10: 4:42pm On Jan 22, 2017
Ronaldinnioh:

Did you read the caption on the Topic?
I guess you didn't because if you did, you would have understood what was asked.

Again let me allow you understand better.

They said OAU AND UI,Which is better? Not if you had gotten admission in OAU, would you have left for another school? So think straight before tying or kindly give that your phone to a reasonable human being to operate on.

Grow up girl, If you don't tear that Certificate that your so-called useless School (OAU) gave you, then you are an confirmed EWU as my friends from the East will say..
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Abdulqareem: 4:56pm On Jan 22, 2017
I think this guy is in best position to answer that question.

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Ajalekoko76(m): 5:25pm On Jan 22, 2017
U and I know dat UI is not better but the BEST.

2 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by KoladeKoded(m): 6:13pm On Jan 22, 2017
Both schools are great but in terms of research breakthroughs, innovations and the likes..
I'll give it to Covenant University!

4 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by obaeko(m): 6:42pm On Jan 22, 2017
neoapocalypse:

#Bellite

Abeg gimme small from your coke jare

#Katangite

Join me at quadrangle to share some bottles

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by FreeSpirited: 7:04pm On Jan 22, 2017
I have nothing else to say. Going through the whole threads has reinforced the fact that Ui is better than OAU......Case closed.

Most graduates of Ui continue their PG study in Ui or travel abroad cos they believe no school compare to Ui in Nigeria.......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Lumig: 7:15pm On Jan 22, 2017
From my perspective, it depends on your course of study. I can't pick UI over OAU in Engineering and likewise OAU over UI in Medical Sciences[though very close] for example. They are best in their own ways...

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Walecoker65(m): 7:28pm On Jan 22, 2017
Lorhdany:

He studied Business studies and administration at Al-Azhar university, Cairo, Egypt in the 1970s.

So is Al-Azhar university UI or OAU, the guy is very correct , he said Dangote didn't attend none, does that mean he didn'tgo to school at all
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Basic123: 7:48pm On Jan 22, 2017
I have nothing else to say. Going through the whole
threads has reinforced the fact that Ui is better than
OAU......Case closed.
Most graduates of Ui continue their PG study in Ui or
travel abroad cos they believe no school compare to Ui
in Nigeria.......

The only argument OAU supports have was only that OAU has once dealt with U.I supporters.

I was once a student of each university.Though I lov OAU so much.but,to be frank and objectives U.I is better.

one thing I like about U.I is that,the students cant shout.The school speaks for itself unlike OAU students.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Ximenez(m): 7:49pm On Jan 22, 2017
Harryola9:

Sorry to break it u but u re wrong and right.
firstly, UI students only move around if u re offering a non-departmental course whereas u av to move down to host department's lecture theatre.
Furthermore, UI uses Faculty lecture theatres 4 freshers for faculty courses.
Also, each department has lecture rooms for each level.
well that's all
That's exactly what I'm talking about, as a part one students you do courses from various departments, and apart from departmental lecture theaters, there are also general lecture theaters. And you can't be both right and wrong at the same time.
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Bestbeelieve: 7:55pm On Jan 22, 2017
If UI = Naija jollof and OAU= Ghana jollof rice..... Answer the question as to which is best grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Rashield8: 8:57pm On Jan 22, 2017
oloriooko:
OP please correct the title by replacing "the best" with "better"
To your question, UI is older but Ife is better cool

.......Modified
I think the OP and mod are UI students to make such grammatical blunder even on the FP

Lool
Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Rashield8: 8:58pm On Jan 22, 2017
Pedagogue:
Many of the comments here are based on Bias, not Facts. Claiming that you have been to/graduated from any of the Universities is a bad way to start your answer. As this is an anonymous forum, any claim of being a graduate/student of any of the Universities cannot be verified. So, please give little or no weight to comments from people that claim they graduated from IFE, but UI is better, and vice versa!

That said, the criteria for comparing universities is very unique. Universities are not companies where almost every criterion is money-related.

Rather, comparing Universities require a consideration of a wide range of issues. Some of these are considered below.

(But first, may I emphasise that U.I and OAU are arguably the best Universities in Nigeria. Thus, the Op's question is befitting of their Yale v Harvard status in Nigeria).

1. Location: UI is located in the city of Ibadan. OAU; Ile-Ife. U.I's city-location makes it very attractive to students who want a Life outside campus. But the fact that OAU is located in Ile-Ife is a great advantage, as everything you need/want to do can be done in the University. Remember that the best universities in the world are not located in cities... Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, etc

2. Infrastructure: I know from personal and professional experience that OAU's architectural design is iconic. It is better than any Nigerian Universitiy. However, OAU student halls are in a terrible state. UI has better halls of residence/better room:student ratio.

3.Entry Requirements: UI has a much more flexible and transparent admission system-It has always been. OAU has an unnecessarily tough admission process-It has always been!

4.Academic Calendar: OAU has been plagued with incessant strikes. However, U.I is also losing it's long-held reputation of having a relatively stable academic calendar. Nevertheless, UI wins hands down!

5. Tuition Fees/Administration: No comparison. Students in OAU have always paid less than their counterparts in UI. OAU wins. But regarding non-academic staff, both have poor academic and non-academic administrators. Unnecessary bureaucracy is the order of the day.

6. Quality of Teaching/Research: By world standards, both are extremely poor. But it appears from my experience that the quality of teaching in UI is probably better. Whilst IFE relies on the 'hard work strategy' of pushing students hard to discover things for themselves, UI generally monitors their lecturers, such that lecturers are made to stick to certain standards. A more scathing summary would be that IFE adopts the 'help yourself' strategy which in turn stimulates academic rivalry among students, while UI believes in 'spoon feeding' students.

6.Lecturership: There are more IFE products that are Deans/Professor than any other University in UI. In fact, UI has a reputation of 'buying' lecturers from Ife. They will not do this if they don't believe in the quality of IFE. This is what IFE does not do. This fuels the perception that OAU is too 'arrogant'.

7.Quality of Alumni & Students: Very difficult. Although UI has obviously produced more graduates, IFE has done very well since it's establishment. Thus, the two schools have produced very distinguished Nigerians.

8.Graduate Prospects: Both are great. Period.

9. Subject Strengths: This is where many people miss it. Both schools have their areas of strengths and weaknesses. For instance, UI has a better PG school-the best in the country. Also, UI's college of medicine is better because of the TH. However, IFE 'S faculty of law, Humanities and some engineering courses are clearly more 'respected' than their counterparts.

10. Notion/Perceptions: Go to IFE if you want to just read and read! You will meet like-minds: people who are ready to die from reading too much! Everything about the University is centred around pushing yourself to the limits. It's a school that will pass through you. Little wonder that they have the most passionate Alumni in Nigeria!

Go to UI if you want a less-complicated academic and social life. Everything about the University is normal and within tolerable limits. Read and pass your exams without any drama- And you will be out of UI so soon that you will have no serous emotional ties to the University!

But which is better As it is evident from the above indices, It's a tough call!

1000000000000 likes

2 Likes

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by BossOluwendy(m): 9:08pm On Jan 22, 2017
bayino:

Stop disgracing us.. Its 'Unibadan fountain Head'.

Yeah thanks...

1 Like

Re: OAU Vs UI, Which Is The Best? by Pasca07: 9:37pm On Jan 22, 2017
Basic123:
I have nothing else to say. Going through the whole
threads has reinforced the fact that Ui is better than
OAU......Case closed.
Most graduates of Ui continue their PG study in Ui or
travel abroad cos they believe no school compare to Ui
in Nigeria.......

The only argument OAU supports have was only that OAU has once dealt with U.I supporters.

I was once a student of each university.Though I lov OAU so much.but,to be frank and objectives U.I is better.

one thing I like about U.I is that,the students cant shout.The school speaks for itself unlike OAU students.
well said

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Gudu, Sokoto Has No Secondary School In Nigeria (picture) / Nddc International Scholarship Aptitude Test / The Educative Game

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.