Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:17 PM

Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? (4971 Views)

Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To God? Judges 11:29-31 / Did Jephthah Sacrifice His Daughter As A Burnt Offering To The Lord? / Woman Pledges Daughter As Tithe In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by matrix600(m): 6:37pm On Jan 23, 2017
Splinz:

I do not owe you any explanation. I mean, not someone like you. I only deal with those sensible enough to present their arguments.

Bye... cool
and you think you are sensible enough to give any sensible answer. Replying you is giving this thread relevance. So peace out, and stop trying to deceive people please.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by frank317: 6:48pm On Jan 23, 2017
matrix600:
we're talking about 'burnt offering' here, in what way does service/sacrifice/honor to god translate as burnt. Wacko.

It's obvious he knows he is wrong, that's why he opens the thread to talk about burnt offering but is actually mentally deleting the burnt and arguing for only offering.

He is hoping that we might be foolish enough not to notice the burnt and accept this false preaching.

This is what pastors do and deceive people who actually want to be deceived. This guy is a fraud.

Reverend fathers who give themselves as service to their God are actually offering burnt offering to their God... And they sau religion is not all about twisting the fact.

Rubbish
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 7:13pm On Jan 23, 2017
matrix600:
and you think you are sensible enough to give any sensible answer. Replying you is giving this thread relevance. So peace out, and stop trying to deceive people please.

I deceives no one. My God bears me witness in this matter. Peace! cool
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 7:20pm On Jan 23, 2017
frank317:

It's obvious he knows he is wrong, that's why he opens the thread to talk about burnt offering but is actually mentally deleting the burnt and arguing for only offering.

He is hoping that we might be foolish enough not to notice the burnt and accept this false preaching.

This is what pastors do and deceive people who actually want to be deceived. This guy is a fraud.

Reverend fathers who give themselves as service to their God are actually offering burnt offering to their God... And they sau religion is not all about twisting the fact.

Rubbish

So you're also a Bible believer? Great! Atheists are now believers... cheesy. Study more bro, you'd understand these things.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by benzics(m): 7:24pm On Jan 23, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Oga apologist, Bewailing virginity does not mean she wasn't killed
Splinz:

I deceives no one. My God bears me witness in this matter. Peace! cool

Look at this one, she was burnt! Simple!!

So the women of Israelites mourned Jeph's daughter because she didn't receive the di-ck before she died? Like "aiii, oh, she didn't get laid, oh, she never knew how a dick felt, oh".. You Christians are insane, simple!
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 7:30pm On Jan 23, 2017
benzics:

Look at this one, she was burnt! Simple!!

So the women of Israelites mourned Jeph's daughter because she didn't receive the di-ck before she died? Like "aiii, oh, she didn't get laid, oh, she never knew how a dick felt, oh".. You Christians are insane, simple!

Hmm, another mad man is here. shocked. I know as an atheist, you're a fool anyway. cool
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by frank317: 7:30pm On Jan 23, 2017
Splinz:

So you're also a Bible believer? Great! Atheists are now believers... cheesy. Study more bro, you'd understand these things.

There he goes again
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by benzics(m): 7:33pm On Jan 23, 2017
Splinz:

Hmm, another mad man is here. shocked. I know as an atheist, you're a fool anyway. cool
Lol.. You can't dispute the fact that she was burnt, if you like tweak and retweak the text, we all know she was burnt..
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 7:39pm On Jan 23, 2017
benzics:

Lol.. You can't dispute the fact that she was burnt, if you like tweak and retweak the text, we all know she was burnt..

cheesy cheesy cheesy

On the contrary, I was never here to dispute anything with anybody. So if you like, keep on twisting this understanding to your hurt, we all know she was placed on chastity... cool
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by hopefulLandlord: 7:46pm On Jan 23, 2017
benzics:

So essentially, this style of hermeneutics OP is doing ends up into "how can this hot mess be salvaged and made consonant with contemporary social norms and ethics rather than dissonant?".

It seems to me that a lot of progressive Christians are 1 good look in the mirror and the question 'why do I believe any of this stuff anyway?' away from leaving Christianity altogether, because there's only so much selective blindness one can allow

2 Likes

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by benzics(m): 7:53pm On Jan 23, 2017
Splinz:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

On the contrary, I was never here to dispute anything with anybody. So if you like, keep on twisting this understanding to your hurt, we all know she was placed on chastity... cool
So why did the Israeli ladies mourn her?
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by benzics(m): 7:59pm On Jan 23, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

So essentially, this style of hermeneutics OP is doing ends up into "how can this hot mess be salvaged and made consonant with contemporary social norms and ethics rather than dissonant?".

It seems to me that a lot of progressive Christians are 1 good look in the mirror and the question 'why do I believe any of this stuff anyway?' away from leaving Christianity altogether, because there's so much selective blindness one can allow
They all just feel like "there are questions we shouldn't ask" and that's why they are not seeing all the absurdities in their faith..

Look at the guy who commented earlier and was like "god created us and can do anything he pleases with us, he is not answerable to us", that kind of guy would kill his whole family if a voice in his head told him to, just like the psychopathic Abraham..

Not that they don't have questions, they are just too scared to ask, because they're afraid they'll probably burn in hell.. Pfft embarassed

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 8:31pm On Jan 23, 2017
benzics:

So why did the Israeli ladies mourn her?

You're so unworthy of any explanation from me. Just jump and go... cheesy
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by frank317: 8:43pm On Jan 23, 2017
Splinz:

Lol...Why u de cry na.

What did u actually expect when u were opening a thread to disseminate false information.

Not even one of ur Christian brothers is coming to your aid. Ur lies are so obvious.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by frank317: 8:45pm On Jan 23, 2017
benzics:

They all just feel like "there are questions we shouldn't ask" and that's why they are not seeing all the absurdities in their faith..

Look at the guy who commented earlier and was like "god created us and can do anything he pleases with us, he is not answerable to us", that kind of guy would kill his whole family if a voice in his head told him to, just like the psychopathic Abraham..

Not that they don't have questions, they are just too scared to ask, because they're afraid they'll probably burn in hell.. Pfft embarassed

So u decide to lie for God?

Why do I have a feeling that you will soon become an atheist?
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 8:52pm On Jan 23, 2017
frank317:

Lol...Why u de cry na.

What did u actually expect when u were opening a thread to disseminate false information.

Not even one of ur Christian brothers is coming to your aid. Ur lies are so obvious.

cheesy cheesy cheesy

I am an island on my own. Those who know me knows that I'm not part of what you know.

You lots are really great entertainers... cool. The thread wasn't for your ilks. Good to know all the same that you guys are now Bible believers... cheesy
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by frank317: 8:58pm On Jan 23, 2017
Splinz:

cheesy cheesy cheesy

I am an island on my own. Those who know me knows that I'm not part of what you know.

You lots are really great entertainers... cool. The thread wasn't for your ilks. Good to know all the same that you guys are now Bible believers... cheesy

Good, now u have shown us how ridiculous the Bible is.

Thinking we are Bible believers at this stage actually shows how intelligent u are
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by randomperson: 9:32pm On Jan 23, 2017
Splinz:

Bro, save yourself the stress. You have your own beliefs (whether non-belief) and I also have mine.

So far, my own beliefs have serves me so perfectly well that I need not learn anything from you (at least as it concerns my faith as a Christian).

These talks of God being evil bla bla bla wouldn't change my own convictions personally learnt and experience. If you're an atheist or whatever, fine! I am a Christian and believed wholeheartedly in God and His righteousness. Deal with it.

PS: I wonder what makes you think I've not read Dan's books.
My comments are not to convince u but for the open-minded people who are still Christians and can overcome the fear of hell ingrained into then since childhood
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by benzics(m): 9:45pm On Jan 23, 2017
Splinz:

lol, or you have no answer grin
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by benzics(m): 9:48pm On Jan 23, 2017
frank317:

So u decide to lie for God?

Why do I have a feeling that you will soon become an atheist?
Lol.. Bro I've been an atheist since age 15 o tongue
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 9:50pm On Jan 23, 2017
randomperson:

My comments are not to convince u but for the open-minded people who are still Christians and can overcome the fear of hell ingrained into then since childhood

Very well then. Talk to them that believe in hell.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 9:53pm On Jan 23, 2017
frank317:

Good, now u have shown us how ridiculous the Bible is.

Thinking we are Bible believers at this stage actually shows how intelligent u are

Lol... you're not smart at all. You can't even spot sarcasm when you see one.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jan 23, 2017
Splinz:

Yes, it was a vow. And some people believed that it was a vow of literally burning his daughter in fire as a sacrifice. But is this true? Was this vow that of roasting his daughter in fire, the very wicked practices God adhorred? We only need look at few verses after this vow, to find out what really happened. So lets see.

After God has granted Jephthah victory over his enemies, he returned home to meet with his one and only child, and it made him exceedingly sorrowful because of the vow he made.

From these later verses, we see that Jephthah's daughter agrees to her father's vow, but asked for two months to "bewail her virginity". What does it mean by "bewailing her virginity?". Simple.

Jephthah's daughter wails because she was to remain a virgin all her life, as the vow her father made was that of consecration, i.e, she was to serve God in the temple all her life as a virgin. In fact, Jephthah vowed the same vow Hannah vowed to God in 1 Samuel 1:11. Like Jephthah's daughter, Samuel too served in the temple all his life.

Now you know what happened, and I believed it is cleared enough.

THE END!
lol..... What a dunce, really. You've "ended" NOTHING - except maybe your own intelligence, of course, 'cause it seems as though your brain has been replaced by a pea.

And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD: "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering." - Judges 11: 30-31, Holy Bible, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION

So, in this translation of the Bible, Jephtha said "whatever" and used "it". This clearly shows that he WASN'T particular about what he was expecting i.e not necessarily a human. He was expecting ANYTHING.

I don't think you'll want to tell me that if it had been a goat that came out of the door of Jephthah's house to meet him after his victory against the Ammonites, Jephthah would have taken it to serve God all its life in the temple as a virgin (regardless of the fact that it might have been fvcked countless times by numerous other goats). What the f.....? Everybody would think you're MAD, and I won't contradict them. grin

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 10:10pm On Jan 23, 2017
Phaeze:
lol..... What a dunce, really. You've "ended" NOTHING - except maybe your own intelligence, of course, 'cause it seems as though your brain has been replaced with a pea.

And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD: "If you give the Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD's, and I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering." - Judges 11: 30-31, Holy Bible, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION

So, in this translation of the Bible, Jephtha said "whatever" and used "it". This clearly shows that he WASN'T particular about what he was expecting i.e not necessarily a human. He was expecting ANYTHING.

I don't think you'll want to tell me that if it had been a goat that came out of the door of Jephthah's house to meet him after his victory against the Ammonites, Jephthah would have taken it to serve God all its life in the temple as a virgin (regardless of the fact that it might have been fvcked countless times by numerous goats). What the f.....? Everybody would think you're MAD, and I won't contradict them. grin

Kikiki... Here's even a bigger fool. Oya, bring out more of that foolishness... Mad people everywhere.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jan 23, 2017
Splinz:

Kikiki... Here's even a bigger fool. Oya, bring out more of that foolishness... Mad people everywhere.
Lol.... I FINISHED the idiot, he couldn't bear it, so he got angry. Do you need paracetamol? Don't even bother saying "yes", 'cause I won't give you. I want your head to crack first. grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 10:19pm On Jan 23, 2017
Phaeze:
Lol.... I FINISHED the idiot, he couldn't bear it, so he got angry. Do you need paracetamol? Don't even bother saying "yes", 'cause I won't give you. I want your head to crack first. grin

Hehehe... You must be dumber than I thought. LMAO...
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jan 23, 2017
Splinz:

Hehehe... You must be dumber than I thought. LMAO...
I can do this better than you. Trust me. You won't want to try me, you'll end up shedding all the tears you have. Sic transit Gloria mundi.

Although it doesn't take more than "little" intelligence, it's FRIGHTENING that you lack even that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 10:35pm On Jan 23, 2017
Phaeze:
I can do this better than you. Trust me. You won't want to try me, you'll end up shedding all the tears you have. Sic transit Gloria mundi.

Although it doesn't take more than "little" intelligence, it's FRIGHTENING that you lack even that.

Lol... You're simply dumb my dear. It's no surprise anyways.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 23, 2017
Splinz:

Lol... You're simply dumb my dear. It's no surprise anyways.
This loser sha.... Do I have to repeat myself now? undecided
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 10:41pm On Jan 23, 2017
Phaeze:
This loser sha.... Do I have to repeat myself now? undecided

Yeah... Entertain me with more of your foolishness.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jan 23, 2017
Splinz:

Very well then. Talk to them that believe in hell.
Anyone can claim to be a Christian, whether they have any connection with historical Christianity is another matter entirely. If you don't believe in hell, you must be a very sad moro'n NOT to prefer eternal annihilation/oblivion, to the hellish boredom awaiting you in heaven.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 10:44pm On Jan 23, 2017
Phaeze:
Anyone can claim to be a Christian, whether they have any connection with historical Christianity is another matter entirely. If you don't believe in hell, you must be a very sad moro'n NOT to prefer eternal annihilation/oblivion, to the hellish boredom awaiting you in heaven.

You see! You be confirmed imbec... Lol.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ozubulu: Other Anambra Billionaires Who Built Churches / A Very Good Pentecostal Church In Abuja / How To Create Magickal Servitors To Serve You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.