Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,870 members, 7,802,803 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:01 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (158) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (692212 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by samieola: 10:33pm On Apr 28, 2017
pls house, anybody going to colorado state uni? tnx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by tolajay: 10:50pm On Apr 28, 2017
Greetings!

Would appreciate your insight/thoughts on the choice of schools for the best of experience, especially, financial support.

I see some schools are categorised as Public Universities and some others as Private not-for-profit University.

Also, what are your thoughts on Point Park University in Pittsburgh, PA?

Thanks!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Helkayklassic(m): 10:56pm On Apr 28, 2017
electronic:

Head to WES and use their calculator to estimate your GPA in the 4.0 scale. You shld get like 3.28 or close. Now this is not so flashy for the schools you have chosen Bro.

Sorry you are applying In the mist of the most competitive course CS.....blame the ASIANS! cheesy

Now GRE you need like 164+ in quant and nothing less than 320 and above to safely rub shoulders with your counterparts who probably wrote GRE thrice!

TOEFL is piece of cake at this point Bro.

Head to
http://www.physicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?t=6459
http://www.mathematicsgre.com/viewtopic.php?t=3695

And see the results for your self to help curb your appetite. Please note this guys did not Fast and Pray for seven days! They just worked hard...

You should try and publish your undergraduate thesis atleast in a free journal...

Then head here and learn from the Master.

http://www.pgbovine.net/grad-school-app-tips.htm

At this point you can start thinking of Trying to compete...

But if you choose safer schools with such profile, you are KING. Go through the GRE thread and visa transcripts where peeps got funding and do your research!
No be you wan good school? (In AY voice)

Best of Luck
Drops Mic

Thank you bro. I think i need to pack my load and run away from those schools. The problem now is when one keep searching for schools using the usnews and gradcafe, it keeps bringing all these top top schools. i won't mind if you can help with list of safer schools, so that i can start my research again. Thanks. will be waiting to hear from you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by GlassDoc: 11:07pm On Apr 28, 2017
OluDare01:

I school at Tennessee tech
Thanks boss!
you once mentioned UNL as being generous, hence my assumption. Nevertheless, I will appreciate it if you know anyone over there... thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 11:37pm On Apr 28, 2017
Helkayklassic:

Thank you bro. I think i need to pack my load and run away from those schools. The problem now is when one keep searching for schools using the usnews and gradcafe, it keeps bringing all these top top schools. i won't mind if you can help with list of safer schools, so that i can start my research again. Thanks. will be waiting to hear from you.
Just to chip this in, You don't need to run from top schools, we all have high dreams which at times requires risk to come to pass. With a decent GRE score, LOR,CV coupled with your CGPA (Got admitted then to UMD with CGPA of 4.0/5.0 which is close to yours, your WES evaluation should be about 3.38/4)..You stand a chance to get admitted to UMD but cant really comment on your chances of funding because its a very competitive school. But then people do get administration GAs that waives there Tuition. My point is, you just cant be aiming for only safe schools.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 12:49am On Apr 29, 2017
I know nobody there o but I'm sure we have nairalanders in that school. You may wanna use linkedin
GlassDoc:
Thanks boss!
you once mentioned UNL as being generous, hence my assumption. Nevertheless, I will appreciate it if you know anyone over there... thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by rattlesnake(m): 1:16am On Apr 29, 2017
dear guys my brother got PhD admission without funding
he has a guardian a Nigerian senator that wants to serve as sponsor
what are his chances of securing visa?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ayopaul84(m): 1:57am On Apr 29, 2017
hi all,

i came across the thread yesterday and i have been consuming the info like an hungry lion. Good job guys.

Please i need your contribution on this: I need info on the schools to apply to for PhD in biochemistry/molecular biology. i just finished my Masters (expecting results) but had a 4.50/5.0 in BSc. I will be writing IELTS and GRE in the next few months. am looking forward to SPRING 2018.

your contribution will be appreciated

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by imperiouxx(m): 2:05am On Apr 29, 2017
@Helkayklassic,

Your 3.91/5 should be around what femi321 told you. My 3.68/5 was converted to 3.29/4. Just work on the other parts of your admission.

Best!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by imperiouxx(m): 2:06am On Apr 29, 2017
@ Tunnyz7, Divabiola, log1 and Awesu122(bro)

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by omoluabiguy: 2:06am On Apr 29, 2017
rattlesnake:
dear guys my brother got PhD admission without funding shocked

Didn't your brother apply for funding? Even if he has the President as a guardian, just tell him to contact his grad Coord for funding

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by imperiouxx(m): 2:09am On Apr 29, 2017
rattlesnake:
dear guys my brother got PhD admission without funding

Once he can prove to be a genuine student and the senator actually ready to pay his tuition.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by biikeys(m): 3:18am On Apr 29, 2017
ayopaul84:
hi all,

i came across the thread yesterday and i have been consuming the info like an hungry lion. Good job guys.

Please i need your contribution on this: I need info on the schools to apply to for PhD in biochemistry/molecular biology. i just finished my Masters (expecting results) but had a 4.50/5.0 in BSc. I will be writing IELTS and GRE in the next few months. am looking forward to SPRING 2018.

Thanks

Did you mean TOEFL.....Most people take TOEFL for admission and funding considerations here. It's more widely accepted in the US.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 4:07am On Apr 29, 2017
ayopaul84:
hi all,

Thanks
IELTS? you assumed you will need this or someone told you? You need to search for schools first then check their requirements, don't waste money for unnecessary exam in this recession. Secondly, no one can tell you schools to apply to, you need to do the bulk of the work yourself then come back and ask about the schools you found if there is any red flag or not. Start searching for school here 1) www.msinus.com 2) www.gradschools.com 3) www.google.com. If you are looking at spring, you need to start preparing for GRE fast, application for spring will soon start, that's if it has not started in some schools.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by log1(m): 5:05am On Apr 29, 2017
imperiouxx:

Cheers!

Thank you egbon mi. I remember reading your visa transcripts live when I was doing my undergraduate studies. It's good that you are still contributing to this thread. God will continue to help you sir.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Helkayklassic(m): 5:12am On Apr 29, 2017
imperiouxx:
@Helkayklassic,

Your 3.91/5 should be around what femi321 told you. My 3.68/5 was converted to 3.29/4. Just work on the other parts of your admission.

Best!

Thank you boss. I appreciate. I will be glad if you can list like five safe schools for me, according to what Electronic said. So that i can make my research on them and at least apply to one. If top schools doesn't wanna turn up, the safe school will come to my rescue. MS in Computer Science.

Thanks Egbon.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Helkayklassic(m): 5:19am On Apr 29, 2017
femi321:
Just to chip this in, You don't need to run from top schools, we all have high dreams which at times requires risk to come to pass. With a decent GRE score, LOR,CV coupled with your CGPA (Got admitted then to UMD with CGPA of 4.0/5.0 which is close to yours, your WES evaluation should be about 3.38/4)..You stand a chance to get admitted to UMD but cant really comment on your chances of funding because its a very competitive school. But then people do get administration GAs that waives there Tuition. My point is, you just cant be aiming for only safe schools.

Thank you boss. I appreciate your contributions. Can you list some safe schools for me that, let me apply to one at least. To be on a safer side. Schools that i am seeing are top schools to me, may be i am the one that does not know the difference nii. Give me some please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Tunnyz7: 5:22am On Apr 29, 2017
imperiouxx:

Cheers!
Thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 5:50am On Apr 29, 2017
Good luck to everybody writing final exams next week.
Runs out of thread

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 5:53am On Apr 29, 2017
Helkayklassic:

Thank you boss. I appreciate your contributions. Can you list some safe schools for me that, let me apply to one at least. To be on a safer side. Schools that i am seeing are top schools to me, may be i am the one that does not know the difference nii. Give me some please.
This links should help you a lot if you are ready to read it and satisfy your curiosity, and mind you the info might have change since the write up was 2011 or so
http://www.msinus.com/content/gre-universities-486/
http://www.msinus.com/content/assistatships-funding-ms-phd-us-universities-641/

In short, read the whole msinus website if you can, you will gain a lot of information there. Find below the condensed version

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0XvkNO3lNxPb1o3VlVNcnNCSjg/edit?usp=sharing

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:48am On Apr 29, 2017
Bro, I would love to contact you because I have a lot of questions I want to ask.
OluDare01:
Good luck to everybody writing final exams next week.
Runs out of thread
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by princeGee23: 7:48am On Apr 29, 2017
Sorry ma, but schools that was taken only TOEFL then now accept IELTS with equivalent band score for admission, funding and any other consideration in the school. IELTS are now well accepted in the US too... I don't mean to be disrespectful my ladyBoss

biikeys:

Did you mean TOEFL.....Most people take TOEFL for admission and funding considerations here. It's more widely accepted in the US.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by princeGee23: 7:50am On Apr 29, 2017
try and do some research with this link. http://www.msinus.com/content/..

Cheers

Helkayklassic:

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by GlassDoc: 7:56am On Apr 29, 2017
OluDare01:
I know nobody there o but I'm sure we have nairalanders in that school. You may wanna use linkedin
thank you boss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ponpon(m): 8:18am On Apr 29, 2017
princeGee23:
Sorry ma, but schools that was taken only TOEFL then now accept IELTS with equivalent band score for admission, funding and any other consideration in the school. IELTS are now well accepted in the US too... I don't mean to be disrespectful my ladyBoss

Do your research well and list the schools let me help you look it up, but toefl is more accepted in USA
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 8:23am On Apr 29, 2017
ponpon:
Do your research well and list the schools let me help you look it up, but toefl is more accepted in USA

You hardly find a school that accept TOEFL and reject IELTS
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 29, 2017
log1:
Visa approved this morning. Thanks to everyone that have been keeping this thread active ever since. The same woman that did mine finger printing also interviewed me.

VO: Passed me your documents
Me: I passed my I20 and Passport
VO: Tell me your course plan
Me: I'm going to Montana Tech for master's degree in Geological Engineering, in this course I will be taking 20 credits of courseworks, 8 research thesis and 2 credits of graduate seminars.
VO:What courses will you take
ME: Slope stability design, Structural geology, Advanced engineering geology. I stopped while she continue to type.
VO:I see you have a tuition waiver, how did you get it
ME:The admission committee was impressed with my documents and also I was interviewed by my advisor who show great interest in me
VO: I will be approving your visa. it will be ready on Thursday, take it at this circled location.

The interview was short.

Congrats
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ponpon(m): 9:01am On Apr 29, 2017
oluwadamilare26:

Okay Boss, meaning you have all the info. Godspeed
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by gleeddee: 9:04am On Apr 29, 2017
femi321:
IELTS? you assumed you will need this or someone told you? You need to search for schools first then check their requirements, don't waste money for unnecessary exam in this recession. Secondly, no one can tell you schools to apply to, you need to do the bulk of the work yourself then come back and ask about the schools you found if there is any red flag or not. Start searching for school here 1) www.msinus.com 2) www.gradschools.com 3) www.google.com. If you are looking at spring, you need to start preparing for GRE fast, application for spring will soon start, that's if it has not started in some schools.

Hey bro. You might want to look at Michigan Technological University, University of Toledo and University of Idaho.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:12am On Apr 29, 2017
oluwadamilare26:

How accurate is this statement......

TOEFL yes but accept IELTS ?.... it is not so widely used
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Helkayklassic(m): 10:23am On Apr 29, 2017
femi321:
This links should help you a lot if you are ready to read it and satisfy your curiosity, and mind you the info might have change since the write up was 2011 or so
http://www.msinus.com/content/gre-universities-486/
http://www.msinus.com/content/assistatships-funding-ms-phd-us-universities-641/

In short, read the whole msinus website if you can, you will gain a lot of information there. Find below the condensed version

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0XvkNO3lNxPb1o3VlVNcnNCSjg/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Helkayklassic(m): 10:24am On Apr 29, 2017
princeGee23:
try and do some research with this link. http://www.msinus.com/content/..

Cheers

Bless man.

(1) (2) (3) ... (155) (156) (157) (158) (159) (160) (161) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.