Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:30 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (367) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (693143 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by cmbagwu(m): 7:30pm On Jun 24, 2017
Seen and Replied.

Dollypop34:

Bro I will really appreciate that if you can create the time for me. I also studied political science and international relations as my undergrad study.. Please reply my mail
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by MsNas(f): 7:31pm On Jun 24, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Twoods needs to go out more often .... i mean seriously

I worked in big global companies mainly because of my line of IT implementation....... It requires me engaging with several stakeholders across the organisation and one of my hobby grin is as i deal with high or low stakeholder i read their linkedin. ..... how many self have been to MIT., Yale or such. Some but actually very few and i have read several linkedins...... Most of the profiles are cut across all schools and these are people from all levels of the organisation

I agree aim for Top schools, it makes job prospect easier especially if you need H1B... however as you said many who didnt go to top schools are even doing better or same with those who did
Lmao. You dey mind TWoods? Lol. You're right jare. I went to a B school in small-town Arkansas, population of less than 40,000 residents. I graduated and got a job at a company with a revenue of almost $5Billion in the 2016 alone, the largest producers of a type of tree nut in the world. The candidate pool when I applied had students from Georgia Tech, Stanford, Pepperdine, Vanguard Uni, UCBerkeley and some others. All this talk of not getting jobs because you didn't go to top schools na lie. My oga at the top also went to a B school and he got a job before he even graduated. MIT, Yale and Stanford only get you through the doors and get you the interviews. They don't secure the jobs.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by MsNas(f): 7:37pm On Jun 24, 2017
imperiouxx:

angry
grin grin Oga mi!!!! Twale oo. Two hands in the air! Sé kó wá'lè?! How's wifey?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by moravelu: 7:43pm On Jun 24, 2017
TheCode:
Huh? Anyone? Pretty please? Lol. Please I need a response o.

@ the code

I advice u pay your visa fee if you are serious, with your dreams
Bro 64k at gtbank
Before you fill anything online for the oyibo people.
I cant advice u lie about anything on your ds160
For more information go through this thread history or the gurus can advice u better
If God say you and brad pitt go enter the same plane nobody fit change am.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Hushee(m): 7:52pm On Jun 24, 2017
segunojo866:
Where are all the hot girls?

Lol. You be complete case.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by reDazey(f): 9:01pm On Jun 24, 2017
@MsNas,
I sent you a pm. Please reply.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ProfOjah1234: 9:10pm On Jun 24, 2017
MsNas:

Lmao. You dey mind TWoods? Lol. You're right jare. I went to a B school and in small-town Arkansas, population of less than 40,000 residents. I graduated and got a job at a company with almost $5Billion in the 2016 alone, the largest producers of a type of tree not in the world. The candidate pool when I applied had students from Georgia Tech, Stanford, Pepperdine, Vanguard Uni, UCBerkeley and some others. All this talk of not getting jobs because you didn't go to top schools na lie. My oga at the top also went to a B school and he got a job before he even graduated. MIT, Yale and Stanford only get you through the doors and get you the interviews. They don't secure the jobs.
OjaP baba agbalagba.. Tuale for the boss!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:14pm On Jun 24, 2017
MsNas:

Lmao. You dey mind TWoods? Lol. You're right jare. I went to a B school and in small-town Arkansas, population of less than 40,000 residents. I graduated and got a job at a company with almost $5Billion in the 2016 alone, the largest producers of a type of tree not in the world . The candidate pool when I applied had students from Georgia Tech, Stanford, Pepperdine, Vanguard Uni, UCBerkeley and some others. All this talk of not getting jobs because you didn't go to top schools na lie. My oga at the top also went to a B school and he got a job before he even graduated. MIT, Yale and Stanford only get you through the doors and get you the interviews. They don't secure the jobs.

At bold.... grin . Largest tree . Abeg who dey make tree
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by MsNas(f): 9:15pm On Jun 24, 2017
LagosismyHome:

At bold.... grin . Largest tree
Lmao. Tree nuts. I was typing on my phone
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by 234ng44uk(m): 9:29pm On Jun 24, 2017
electronic:

Most Profs would be looking at Fall2017 incoming Grad Students. So wait till like September. But you could start making a list of prospective labs you would like to Work with.
Thanks bro. Well noted.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by successflow(m): 10:18pm On Jun 24, 2017
please house I need mock test, i don't want to assumed I know it all or perfect,
Biko i need help, my interview is fast approaching very near....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Ardedaryor(m): 11:43pm On Jun 24, 2017
OGreene:
People have been correcting you on how to quote someone.Take note na.

@bolded got me laughing ........ The matter don tire you sef grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by biikeys(m): 11:44pm On Jun 24, 2017
LagosismyHome:

This is a school i know a couple of alumni...... Lincoln and howard are good HBCU in terms that they have good full ride scholarship so if you can get full ride why not

Also depending on your course, both are good in terms of recuritment because companys go there to fill their diversity quota . Hence u see a good no of their students interning or graduating with good jobs. Both schools i know a couple of Nigerians who finished there for undergrad and did very well post graduation.

TWoods:

I've never met anyone from Howard or Lincoln at my company... its sad that these schools are simply good to fill "diversity quotas". But the really big companies are getting smarter... they know they can easily fill their "quota" from the MITs, Yale, Harvard, UT and other top schools. No offense but my preference is to not attend an HBCU if you can help it. There are better programs out there if you can work for it. Top schools do take diversity into consideration when they offer admissions. A black kid from MIT won't have to worry about finding a solid >$150,000/year job ever.

I think you guys are missing a point here. The motivation to go to top schools shouldn't be just to be able to find a job after graduation. Of course, in some cases, it gives you an edge during job applications...conversely, you can get in top companies in America even if you graduate from an average school provided you do your homework well.
But the bigger point here is the people you get to work with...That experience will not just get you a job, it will expand your thinking in a way a lot of average schools might not be able to..you do things you never thought you could do. It's a bigger picture view. That's why a lot of Ivy grads start their own small/big companies once they graduate or after working only a few years. Even if you don't start up something, you have your school/professional networks you can easily follow up with incase you want to work on an idea and need help. Of course, there are exceptions..but that should be the driving force.
Getting a job on its own should not be the peak of anyone's career, rather making a difference with what you know!

12 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Walspring: 11:46pm On Jun 24, 2017
segunojo866:
abeg I need mock interview preparation with you

my schedules are very tight and i wish i could have time for this even some people who sent me pm i haven't reply them.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Ardedaryor(m): 12:07am On Jun 25, 2017
Chapecoense:
The high rate of approvals from ppl who are produts of this thread just shows how important and beneficial this thread is.. Another major advantage of this thread is that it lays emphasis on Do it yourself..

You've nail the point.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 12:54am On Jun 25, 2017
Walspring:

my schedules are very tight and i wish i could have time for this even some people who sent me pm i haven't reply them.
thanks for replying
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Drocks: 4:56am On Jun 25, 2017
Dollypop34:
Please house, I am going for my interview soon and I need your help because I have been denied three times.
I am going for ny masters in public administration. Please I need a good answer to some question which I felt is causing my deny since. I presently work in a school. So please my people give me suitable answer to question like
1) why public administration?
I did political science and international relations as my undergraduate study
2) what is your plan after study?
why Public administration? I think you should say that you want to become a seasoned administrator and so intend to acquire great leadership skills in making government policies that are good and positive, far reaching effective on the common man. Also ensuring effective implementation of budgets and making sure that funds allocation to local,states and federal government are judiciously use to better the lives of the common man in the Nigeria Society. (I hope this help you in a little way) (gurus, pls Vet oo)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by abnice2004: 7:17am On Jun 25, 2017
Good morning to everyone in the house. Base on what I have always been reading here about writing GRE to get scholarship, I encouraged my sis to write it and she got 294 and she has 4.22 Cgpa over 5. Pls What are the chances of her getting a full scholarship with this profile? Which school can she apply to in order to get full scholarship? Should she rewrite the GRE? She is preparing for next year fall. Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by 234ng44uk(m): 7:37am On Jun 25, 2017
abnice2004:
Good morning to everyone in the house. Base on what I have always been reading here about writing GRE to get scholarship, I encouraged my sis to write it and she got 294 and she has 4.22 Cgpa over 5. Pls What are the chances of her getting a full scholarship with this profile? Which school can she apply to in order to get full scholarship? Should she rewrite the GRE? She is preparing for next year fall. Thank you.

A GRE score of 294 with a GPA of 4.22/5.00 is a disgrace. No school will take her serious, especially for funding. Her only bet are schools that do not accept GRE scores. Or rewrite GRE and score over 310.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by electronic(m): 7:41am On Jun 25, 2017
234ng44uk:

A GRE score of 294 with a GPA of 4.22/5.00 is a disgrace. No school will take her serious, especially for funding. Her only bet are schools that do not accept GRE scores. Or rewrite GRE and score over 310.
Maybe the GRE score is not great but definitely not a disgrace... Its just a score... LoL

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:46am On Jun 25, 2017
electronic:

Maybe the GRE score is not great but definitely not a disgrace... Its just a score... LoL
please does anyone know about Virginia international university??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:47am On Jun 25, 2017
OjaP:
Prospective PhD Applicants:

The University of Tennessee, Knoxville just initiated a Doctor of Philosophy of Data Science and Engineering (DSE). This PhD program is interdisciplinary for lovers of big data, statistics, supercomputers, modeling, engineering, etc. One of the perks is that you get to use those supercomputers at ORNL and also have those research scientists at ORNL as mentors or research advisers. I would think that their admission decisons would be flexible since this would be their first. Technical people considering a Ph.D. in the following research areas should take advantage:

Health and Biological Sciences
Advanced Manufacturing
Materials Science
Environmental and Climate Science
Transportation Science
National Security
Urban Systems Science

The program provides an annual stipend of up to $30,000, a tuition waiver, and health insurance for PhD candidates pursuing research in one of the areas mentioned above.

Good luck!!

please reply my PM @ your convenience.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by 234ng44uk(m): 7:49am On Jun 25, 2017
electronic:

If a 3.0/5.0 or below had that score there's no big deal. But for this person, that GRE score is too low for the GPA.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 8:07am On Jun 25, 2017
seeker88:
Interview come finally start. Choi, see blue papers flying upandan, small fear catch me, but I still gather morale. It finally got to my turn, and below was the conversation between the VO and I:

VO: Good morning Sir **for my mind, I say this one way this man dey greet me with Sir **
Me: Good morning, how was your weekend?
VO: Great! And yours?
Me: Very well thank you.
*passed my document to him during d greetings *
VO: So tell me why you choose this school?
Me: I chose Texas A&M University Kingsville because the school offers a concentration in Renewable Energy system within their MSc Mechanical Engineering program.... * I never talk finish n vo cuts in*
VO: why the concentration in renewable energy? *I didn't expect this*
Me: The world is moving towards cleaner renewable energy so I wanna move with the trend.
VO: Tell me how the course is gonna run?
Me: I will be required to complete a total of 30 credit hours within 24 months; 12 credit hours of core courses, 12 credit hours of elective courses and 6 credit hours of thesis..... *he didn't allow me finish*
VO: So what are those core courses?
Me: Advanced engineering analysis, Advanced Fluid Mechanics, Continuum Mechanics, *vo cuts in again*
VO: Did you apply to any other school?
Me: Yes, I applied to a total of 6 schools, and got 4 admits, 1 rejects and 1 pending. (I actually applied to 11 schools but I was afraid d VO might see me as being desperate if I mention 11 schools). Thanks to DrHopeful for this advice.
VO: So why did you choose this school over the other ones?
Me: During the application process, I developed a good relationship with Prof ****** who's currently working on a research in my area of interest. He was quite impressed with my GPA and GRE that he agreed to allow me join his research team upon my arrival. *at this point, I saw him brought out a white paper and circled a part, I started stammering...... Couldn't finish d last line as a result. I didn't even hear when d vo mentioned anything on approval. I just saw him passing d white paper to me
VO: *passes the white paper along with my i-20* .....it usually takes 4-5 days to process, I didn't hear d rest.

Immediately, my brain just reset... grin*in my mind I was, just like that? * Na so I collect d white paper disappear sharply. grin

No document was asked. He didn't ask me why I'm switching to Mech Engr from Pet Engr......neither did he ask how my current job relates to my intended Msc program. Everything was just God's favour.

My Little Advice
*Please make sure you go with a 'big' hard copy of your passport, not a 'tiny' one like mine. I was quite surprised that this was required from everyone even though it wasn't clearly stated as one of the items to come to d embassy with.
*Like what my bosses have said here over n over again; know about your school and course. It's d key.
*don't be in a haste to bring out document when it's not asked. One man in front of me was denied outrightly when he tried giving d VO a document that d VO never requested for. The VO just said to d man "I didn't ask you for any document, and then passed the man's passport to him with a blue paper immediately.
*I think the way one answers the very first question matters. They say first impression matters. If you answer the first and second question wella, they may not want to further probe ur genuineness with so many questions. Some VO may not even be patience enough to ask more questions/documents to confirm your genuineness.
*Go through d transcripts here to learn more about suitable responses, then develop d response to suit ur own case. I went through the transcript of part 10 and it was very insightful. Thanks to iCool for compiling such.
*Pray as if everything depends on prayer and prepare as if everything depends on ur preparation.
Anyways, these pieces of advice are not entirely new to anyone who has been here.

congrats! please reply my PM
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by gaviria: 8:30am On Jun 25, 2017
biikeys:

I think you guys are missing a point here. The motivation to go to top schools shouldn't be just to be able to find a job after graduation. Of course, in some cases, it gives you an edge during job applications...conversely, you can get in top companies in America even if you graduate from an average school provided you do your homework well.
But the bigger point here is the people you get to work with...That experience will not just get you a job, it will expand your thinking in a way a lot of average schools might not be able to..you do things you never thought you could do. It's a bigger picture view. That's why a lot of Ivy grads start their own small/big companies once they graduate or after working only a few years. Even if you don't start up something, you have your school/professional networks you can easily follow up with incase you want to work on an idea and need help. Of course, there are exceptions..but that should be the driving force.
Getting a job on its own should not be the peak of anyone's career, rather making a difference with what you know!
That was not the point initially. This is your own point sir.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by seeker88(m): 8:34am On Jun 25, 2017
234ng44uk:

GRE scores are dependent on the amount of preparation channelled into it and not directly proportional to one's CGPA. So it's definitely not a disgrace, perhaps, she didn't prepare well before taking d test.
Haven't u seen First Class student performing bad on d GRE?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by seeker88(m): 8:40am On Jun 25, 2017
abnice2004:
Since she's preparing for next year fall, I'd suggest she rewrite the test with the aim of scoring higher. That way, d probability of getting funded will be higher.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Kagame: 8:50am On Jun 25, 2017
234ng44uk:

This is false and misleading.I know people with less than stellar profiles (GRE and CGPA) who got full funding.If she can rewrite the GRE,it increases her chances, at least with top schools,but even with her current profile,a lot of schools can still offer her full funded admission.

It's left for her to aim higher or settle for less.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by abnice2004: 8:52am On Jun 25, 2017
seeker88:

Since she's preparing for next year fall, I'd suggest she rewrite the test with the aim of scoring higher. That way, d probability of getting funded will be higher.

Thanks bro. I will encourage her to rewrite it. Pls do you know any tutorial center she can go? She needs tutorial for follow up.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by abnice2004: 8:55am On Jun 25, 2017
234ng44uk:

My Oga na preparation tins. Work no allow her prepare well . If u suggest a tutorial center I go dey happy. Thanks for your comment bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.