Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:48 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (53) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (693137 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 7:12pm On Feb 17, 2017
femi321:
Its not rocket science, that how it is done. I don't even have problem about spoon feeding but for our own good its always better to be proactive and learn how to fish rather than being fed. Its this same Grad cord that make the most of the decision about hiring TAs. No one is saying people shouldn't even ask questions because ignorance is not an excuse but we should try to direct the question to the right authority and if we are not satisfied , ask other people.I am very sure the grad cord of all the schools i applied too then have never received the numbers of email they received from me, from one single individual even though some of them never replied while some replied at the speed of light, its after i don't get a concrete answer from one or two then i call people like Sirriddy just to have a 2nd opinion because he was doing the same thing as me..We neeed people, a tree doesnt make a forest. You can never over-emphasize the gains you get from building rapport with Grad Cord.After all these epistle, some people will still come here and say ''at times they are scared to ask questions here''...You shouldn't be scared, people are just advising you based on their own experiences, its now left to you to take it in good faith or hold grudge.

You sef see am? If for say na me hala now, dem go talk say baba dey harsh. Kwantinu. grin

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Fortissimo502: 7:28pm On Feb 17, 2017
HoneyBronzed:
Hi International students,

please what do you use to file your taxes as an international student. if you manually fill a form 1040NREZ, how do you calculate what you are supposed to get back as tax refund? I also dont want to use a firm. I want to file my taxes myself. Thank you.

There r detailed instructions for this on the IRS website. But if you can, I'd advise you to use Sprintax software. It's designed for internationals and costs $35 and super simple to use.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:30pm On Feb 17, 2017
TWoods:

You sef see am? If for say na me hala now, dem go talk say baba dey harsh. Kwantinu. grin
I was glad reading from you. You know how much I respect reading your post. How have you been?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Fortissimo502: 7:32pm On Feb 17, 2017
Choi femi321 i wish i saw your post earlier. I've already paper filed mine. But they said i should get it in 4 to 6 weeks. Hoping so.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 7:36pm On Feb 17, 2017
femi321:
It is well my sister. I don't even want to be thinking about Nigeria. Everything about that country can kill someone
I changed about 128k for $280, then I understood the situation is getting real.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:40pm On Feb 17, 2017
slimmy2005:
I was glad reading from you. You know how much I respect reading your post. How have you been?

shocked .. was your accout hacked ...lol

Just joking but it was nice to see this comment. Dont ask me how e concern me, i have .... cheesy. Running along

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by imperiouxx(m): 7:46pm On Feb 17, 2017
TWoods:

i need to be banned... i have work to do. grin

Whether we like it or not, the H1B visa is going to be revamped soon and its probably why companies are now asking that folks have at least a PR before taking them on. One thing that is likely going to be in your favor (at least based on what i've been hearing regarding ideas to reform the H1B/employment-based green card route) is that preference will be given to bigger companies and people with phds who studied in US universities.

An American can afford to stop at the bachelors, we have to aim higher...

This will be the only area so far that I will agree with this administration on. The Indian tech industry messes this category of visa up badly.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ahahnow: 8:06pm On Feb 17, 2017
Good evening. I want to apply to UC Berkeley. Is anyone applying there too? Also, how do I get funding for the school? Thanks PS. What GRE score should I be aiming for if I want to gain admission? One love
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by biikeys(m): 8:52pm On Feb 17, 2017
Fortissimo502:
Choi femi321 i wish i saw your post earlier. I've already paper filed mine. But they said i should get it in 4 to 6 weeks. Hoping so.

Paper filing takes about that long, not months
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by biikeys(m): 8:58pm On Feb 17, 2017
HoneyBronzed:
Hi International students,

please what do you use to file your taxes as an international student. if you manually fill a form 1040NREZ, how do you calculate what you are supposed to get back as tax refund? I also dont want to use a firm. I want to file my taxes myself. Thank you.

Do it through your school (Glacier) as advised and try and learn it. Once you're out of school, you can do it yourself..at least till it becomes really complicated. It fairly easy if you don't have lots of income sources, dependents, business etc.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 9:14pm On Feb 17, 2017
slimmy2005:
I changed about 128k for $280, then I understood the situation is getting real.
thats crazy. it is well.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 9:16pm On Feb 17, 2017
Fortissimo502:
hopefully it should be about that time but on irs website its more.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 9:18pm On Feb 17, 2017
TWoods:

Lmao..me I just dey give advice ni
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Nobody: 9:18pm On Feb 17, 2017
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Fortissimo502: 9:33pm On Feb 17, 2017
biikeys:

Paper filing takes about that long, not months

Ok better. Even one of my guys here was saying months too. Wonder why.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Fortissimo502: 9:35pm On Feb 17, 2017
femi321:
hopefully it should be about that time but on irs website its more.

Ok. At least i now know you can e file non resident returns.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 10:00pm On Feb 17, 2017
slimmy2005:

shocked shocked grin I've been doing good my brother. Hope you have been too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 10:06pm On Feb 17, 2017
imperiouxx:

This will be the only area so far that I will agree with this administration on. The Indian tech industry messes this category of visa up badly.

In a sense, the addition of the country quota for employment based green cards has been a blessing. For virtually everyone outside of china and India, the EB2 and 3 categories are almost always current or at worst a few months behind. This means you should not have to wait more than 1-2 years to get a green card. Thanks to the Indians, it takes them up to 20 years since they have simply overwhelmed the h1b system. As of now, 80% of h1b visas are issued to Indians... that means your chances in the lottery are smaller than 30% if you wish to work in industry. Hopefully things will change soon, Im hearing the lottery system will be abolished by next year which will make things fairer for all with regard to getting an h1b visa. The downside is that there is a push to increase the salary limit for $60k to $100k, which means you must earn that amount in salary for you to qualify for an h1b.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by AfonjaBoston: 10:11pm On Feb 17, 2017
TWoods:

The problem with posting here is that many people get the chance to say whatever they want... fact free.

1. I'm not a research plug. Research accounts for less than 30% of what i do - i simply enjoy research. I can decide to leave and become a marketing manager next week.

2. I work for the biggest oil company in the world... hardly a not-for-profit "research facility". Majority of its senior managers are phd chemical engineers, geologists and petroleum engineers.

3. I don't work off "research funding". Neither do anyone i know at our "research facility".

4. Finally, the idea that "P.h.D. is great if you looking to do research and academia at some point in your career" is laughably wrong. My colleagues and i would turn down going back to Academia even if you paid us $1m and full tenureship.

Its best to ask questions if you have no clue than simply expose yourself for knowing very little.

O boy if you will turn down "1million USD" why are you spending "24hrs" here on a "no pay" nairaland site with "uninformed" people lilke us

Mr man go sit down

6 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Drocks: 10:33pm On Feb 17, 2017
Our head don correct now, there's peace in the house. Halleluyah!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by kokoboy4life(m): 10:51pm On Feb 17, 2017
Hello There Good Evening to everyone i need Someone to enlighten me on this, 'Is there any years of Validation after WES finished with the transcript Evaluation?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Kapitain(m): 2:20am On Feb 18, 2017
Greetings from UTEP,

To all prospective intl' students, don't give up ur dreams.

And to everyone contributing in one way or the other, keep it up.

Just to chip in, don't base your considerations solely on high ranking schools. Spread your tentacles. Apply to more mid ranked schools. Reach out via emails and build rapport with the admission coordinators.

Some low to middle rank schools are rich in resources to get funding when you start your degrees. And there's a lot of schools endowed with much funding but not highly ranked.

Don't give up.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by biikeys(m): 2:41am On Feb 18, 2017
Fortissimo502:

Ok. At least i now know you can e file non resident returns.

Looks like they just started that with tax year 2016..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Timi1990(m): 2:48am On Feb 18, 2017
wealth360:
Please anyone here who can help me pay $50 for application fee in Illinois State University. I will revert the pay in Naira. Ejooooooooooooo.
CC: Walspring and others
PM me I need Naira
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by amanze15(m): 4:12am On Feb 18, 2017
akin3102:
Maybe justwise should ban Twoods again so that he can contribute more.Lolz. PHD won't be a bad idea in this Trump's country for now. During my school career fair, most companies require you to be a citizen/PR/asylum before you can apply for an internship or coop position s. Infact an HR ask me if I have other plans to get GreenCard because they aren't ready to file for anybody. The military guys advised me to go and get married and come back to apply.. Peeps, start working towards something maybe pHD,it will always come handy.Kudos guys.
MARVIN program dey for Army na cool all this go marry go marry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by TWoods(m): 4:18am On Feb 18, 2017
amanze15:
MARVIN program dey for Army na cool all this go marry go marry

MARVIN is on hold for now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by signature2012(m): 1:11pm On Feb 18, 2017

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by ponpon(m): 2:10pm On Feb 18, 2017
CBN Pegs Dollar Rate For School Fees, PTA At N375/$

In line with its determination to boost dollar supply in the economy as well as to bridge the wide gap between the interbank foreign exchange (FX) market and the parallel market, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) yesterday pegged the Naira exchange rate for payment of school fees (strictly universities) abroad and Personal Travel Allowance (PTA) at N375 to the dollar.

The central bank disclosed this in a closed-door meeting it held with all chief executive officers of commercial banks as well as other authorised FX dealers in attendance. The meeting took place in Lagos....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by eniolagharxe: 2:26pm On Feb 18, 2017
Anyone coming to Texas soon?...dm me for extra cash
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OGreene: 2:32pm On Feb 18, 2017
Form A rate for school fees is way less than 375/$ na.

Form A should be 305-315 per dollar or so
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 4:19pm On Feb 18, 2017
OGreene:
Form A rate for school fees is way less than 375/$ na.

Form A should be 305-315 per dollar or so
That's if you see form A cheesy
Emefiele is so clueless right now

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) (56) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.