Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,807 members, 7,798,725 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:18 AM

Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far (24171 Views)

The Illegality Of Covenant University Students’ Suspension By School Management / Katsina University Bans All Christian Associations, Approves Muslim Group / Katsina University Reacts Says Memo targeted Muslims not Christains (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by justice2100: 4:41pm On Jan 22, 2017
Nairaland Please use this forum to promot justice by presenting facts.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/221208-katsina-university-says-memo-religious-groups-campus-targeted-muslims-not-christians.html

“There is one religious association and subsidiary Islamic students associations like the Tijjanniya Students Movement in Nigeria, Academic Forum of Islamic Movement in Nigeria and many associations like that.

“They are Islamic students association. So what we want is to have a single union which will be the mouthpiece of muslim students and that is the Muslim Students Society of Nigeria."
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by Rilwayne001: 4:43pm On Jan 22, 2017
tintingz:
The guy is a bigot.

A disgusting one.

3 Likes

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by mustykogo: 4:43pm On Jan 22, 2017
The authorities of the Umaru Yar’Ádua University, Katsina, have denied discriminating against Christian students in the approval granted a students religious association to operate on its campus.
The Acting Dean of Student Affairs of the University, Sulaiman Kankara, had in January 17 memo informed students of a new guideline for the registration of clubs and associations in the institution.
In the circular, Dr. Kankara indicated that participation in clubs and associations, including departmental ones, were strictly optional and that no student should be compelled to pay dues.
He also outlawed the formation of tribal and local government associations in the university.
But the controversial part of the memo which made the document to go viral was the dean’s pronouncement that the “Muslim Students Society of Nigeria (MSSN) is the only religious association allowed to operate on campus.”
After the memo was shared on social media, the university came under ferocious attacks from many Nigerians, with some commentators saying the guideline was part of government’s plot to Islamise Nigeria.
But when contacted on Sunday morning, Dr. Kankara said that aspect of the guideline was actually targeted at Islamic groups which were beginning to mushroom on campus, creating division among students of the same faith.
The dean said, “Actually there is one misconception in the memo. But the fact of the matter is that in Umaru Yar’Ádua University, there is no association known as Christian Students Association.
“There is one religious association and subsidiary Islamic students associations like the Tijjanniya Students Movement in Nigeria, Academic Forum of Islamic Movement in Nigeria and many associations like that.
“They are Islamic students association. So what we want is to have a single union which will be the mouthpiece of muslim students and that is the Muslim Students Society of Nigeria.
“It has nothing to do with any Christian group because up till now, I have not received any application requesting registration of Christian Students Society.
“And once they do that, we are ready to register them. Even as at last week, we said the two religious group to be recognised by the university will be the Muslim one and one from Christian side.
“Up till now we are to receive any application for the registration of any Christian association in the university from any group.”
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by Dc4life(m): 4:43pm On Jan 22, 2017
[b]Whatever religion the memo is targeting is unconstitutional. Whoever that drafted and signed the memo should know that section 38 (3) of 1999 Constitution of Nigeria and I quote "No religious community or denomination shall be prevented from providing religious instruction for pupils of that community nor denomination in any place of education maintained wholly by that community or denomination" and section 38 (4) said that "nothing in this section shall entitle any person to form, take part in the activity or be a member of secret society". From this subsection the Governor is yet to prove to the people of Nigeria that whatever student's of a religious body he is targeting are constituting themselves are a members of a secret society. Remember that onus is on he who allege to come and prove, which they have not done. May allegation is not enough to deprive people of their fundamental human right through an ordinary memo. Infact, remember that the constitution is supreme as stated in section 1 of the 1999 constitution and whenever any other Federal or State Law is inconsistent with the provisions of the Constitution, the Constitution shall prevail and that other Law shall to the extent of the inconsistency be void. Other Laws includes both Federal and State memos like that of Katsina State Government. We should not allow this impunity to continue like this[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by melvinjames: 4:44pm On Jan 22, 2017
The MSSN 'is the only' religious body recognised by the institution

It's obvious only Muslim students association is recognized.
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by buchilino(m): 4:46pm On Jan 22, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:
By TonyeBarcanista

Like most people, I was greeted by a report of a new regulations by the management of Umaru Yar'adua University (formerly Katsina State University) in which they proscribed every religious and tribal associations in the school with the exception of Muslim Students Society of Nigeria, a body for Muslim students. It is a shame that an institution of learning that is supposed to be a shinning light in the society will adopt a policy that is not only bigoted but also against the right of students as prescribed in the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

Katsina People, Not Muslims Own The University:
The University is owned by the people of Katsina state. It was established by the government of Umaru Musa Yar'adua in 2006/07, funded with Katsina state resources for the people of Katsina state and other Nigerians. The institution is 100% public owned, it is not a private property of the Muslim population nor that of any faith. Hence, the school policies must be of public interest and not that of any religion or ethnic group.

I find it pathetic that some people choose to justify the clear discrimination against people of non-Muslim faith by the school management by drawing parallel with the policies of privately-owned tertiary institutions like Covenant University.

Since Katsina state belong to Katsina people irrespective of religious affiliation, Umaru Yaradua University is owned by Katsina state, common sense should tell that the University is owned by Katsina people irrespective of faith. The school must not be seen as discriminatory or appear to favor any religion over the other.

Regulations Against The Right of Students As Enshrined In The Nigeria Constitution:
If you look at Section 38(3) of the Nigeria constitution that deals with freedom of religion and section 40 that deals with freedom of association, one will see clearly that the regulation has sought to deprive Nigerians/students of non-Muslim faith in the institution their right to freely worship and associate.

The fact that the regulation exclude Muslim society, it is pure discrimination against students of non-Muslim faith, a move that is contrary to Section 42. (1) of the Nigeria constitution.

We can't allow the institution to be a law of itself. It must be subjected to the constitution of the country.

Regulations Against African Charter on Human Right:
Apart from flouting the Nigeria Constitution, the regulation of the University goes against Articles 8, 10 and 11 of the African Charter on Human Right, which Nigeria is a signatory of.

Article 8 states that "Every person shall enjoy Freedom of conscience, the profession and free practice of religion shall be guaranteed. No one may, subject to law and order, be submitted to measures restricting the exercise of these freedoms."

Article 10(1) states that "Every individual shall have the right to free association provided that he abides by the law." While Article 11 guarantees right to assemble with others.

Being a component of Nigeria and public institution, the University is subject to the various provisions of the charter. It is a matter of obligation not by choice.

While some may argue that Katsina is a sharia state, that would hold no water. This is because the Sharia law or any other law of parliament cannot take preeminence over the Constitution of Nigeria nor the African Charter, which Nigeria is a signatory of.

In fact, sections 1(1) and 1(3) of the Constitution clearly state that:

"This Constitution is supreme and its provisions shall have binding force on all authorities and persons throughout the Federal Republic of Nigeria." S1(1)

"If any other law is inconsistent with the provisions of this Constitution, this Constitution shall prevail, and that other law shall to the extent of the inconsistency be void." S1(3).

That said, I expect Nigerians in one voice irrespective of religious faith to call the management of the University and Katsina state Governor, Bello Mansari to order. We can't allow illegality to reign in this country. Allowing such move will further heat up the polity.

May God Bless Us All And Bless Nigeria

Shared on palmchat

OGA TONY, U C Y I SUPPORT Mr SULEIMANS STATEMENT CONCERNING FULANIS

1 Like

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by stinechykee: 4:47pm On Jan 22, 2017
fiizznation:
You people shouldn't disturb us with your petty nonsense. Katsina state practice sharia law incase most of you don't know. The university is a state owned institution which was established by katsina state and not Nigeria.

How many so-called state owned institutions in the east allow muslims associations in their respective schools? And you don't see muslims crying about it. Anyway you guys can cry over this for all I care.

Is like wailing is your calling. And I think people are already used to your silly shenanigans

You and your fellow Muslim brethren will perish because your religion is so gullible.You didn't see anything wrong in wat Dean of Yaradua Uni doing in trying to introduce sharia in a Uni own by Federal government and you ever support it but if IPOB or Igbo's clamour for Biafra freedom you people will bombard this forum to condanm them.There is God oooo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by jumper524(m): 4:47pm On Jan 22, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

It must be voided o
I Taught U Were Smart Bt No U Only Knw Hw To Write With Good Grammas I Taught U Weren't Fool-ish Bt No I Realized U Were When Fizznation Quoted U With Facts Nd U Couldn't Respont Bt Rather Went As Low As Supporting Other Childlish Comments. People Like U Are The Reasons They Made Maths Compulsary In Schools.
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by crystalfarmer: 4:47pm On Jan 22, 2017
Please go to this link for an update on this tread

https://www.nairaland.com/3586624/memo-targeted-muslims-not-christians
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by Zenlife: 4:50pm On Jan 22, 2017
Statsocial:

And a North Korea governed by an Atheist is better?

Oh well, you said it.
Do kindly tell us the answer.
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by kettle84(m): 4:51pm On Jan 22, 2017
fiizznation:
You people shouldn't disturb us with your petty nonsense. Katsina state practice sharia law incase most of you don't know. The university is a state owned institution which was established by katsina state and not Nigeria.

How many so-called state owned institutions in the east allow muslims associations in their respective schools? And you don't see muslims crying about it. Anyway you guys can cry over this for all I care.

Is like wailing is your calling. And I think people are already used to your silly shenanigans

why do you attack the East all the time ,the poster is not an eastern. you people must reason reasonably .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by FunkyMetahuman: 4:52pm On Jan 22, 2017
I don't know why you people are ranting

The same illegality is going on in nairaland and no one seems concerned... Abeg make we hear word jor.

1 Like

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by liRichy(f): 4:53pm On Jan 22, 2017
pls did anybody got an invitation from p integrated services?I just got SMS concerning an interview tomorrow at woji
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jan 22, 2017
fiizznation:

Why are you stressing on east?

2 Likes

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by hush15: 5:01pm On Jan 22, 2017
Emekamex:
Religion is impeding our growth, we should learn to separate politics and religion.
Give Caesar what belongs to Caesar and to God what belongs to God. The two should not mixed up.

Bigger than that is selfish. The truth is an average Nigerian is just selfish and greedy. An all man for himself mentality is the bane of Nigerian growth and unity. It just that religion and tribe are used to interprete such greed and selfishness.

If one really dig deep into why a university should come up with such kind of policy, we would find out that it's simply because of selfishness and greed of influence and affluence. Simple....

1 Like

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 22, 2017
buchilino:

OGA TONY, U C Y I SUPPORT Mr SULEIMANS STATEMENT CONCERNING FULANIS
Don't mind him
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by olayinka63: 5:03pm On Jan 22, 2017
Op should provide picture of the original memo.
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by estateng(m): 5:03pm On Jan 22, 2017
Please TonyeBarcanista and Co., help us raise the bar on this one too. Your assistance is needed.

http://www.iwitness.com.ng/%E2%80%8B%e2%80%8eoutrage-as-ltv-stops-muslim-staff-from-casting-news-over-hijab/
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by freeze001(f): 5:04pm On Jan 22, 2017
fiizznation:
You people shouldn't disturb us with your petty nonsense. Katsina state practice sharia law in case most of you don't know. The university is a state owned institution which was established by katsina state and not Nigeria.

What is the source of funds allocated to Katsina state? What is the status of sharia law? Is it personal law applicable to islam adherents or forcibly binding on all indigenes of the states to the exclusion of all other religions? Is Katsina a secular state or islamic state? Is Katsina an independent state or subject to provisions of the Nigerian constitution?

5 Likes

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by Deilluminator(m): 5:06pm On Jan 22, 2017
fiizznation:

so if you are not a Muslim, you are sharia bound right? The university is established by the state for all the inhabitants of the state not only Muslims. As a matter of fact, it's a public institution not private, and to be religious bias is inappropriate. Name any state university, public institutions not private, in those areas you mentioned that doesn't tolerate other religions
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by drake2(m): 5:07pm On Jan 22, 2017
I am surprised to learn that:

1. There is a Kastina University or whatever name?

2. And that there are Christian Students there? What d heck are they doing there?. Them nor see UI, OAU, Unilag, Uniben?

3. And what Faculties exist there? Islamic studies?

4. In fact I got so many questions
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by Deilluminator(m): 5:13pm On Jan 22, 2017
drake2:
I am surprised to learn that:

1. There is a Kastina University or whatever name?

2. And that there are Christian Students there? What d heck are they doing there?. Them nor see UI, OAU, Unilag, Uniben?

3. And what Faculties exist there? Islamic studies?

4. In fact I got so many questions
Don't speak as if you are from a different planet. There are Christians in Katsina who are indigenes of that state. Are you telling them to relocate?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by luvinhubby(m): 5:19pm On Jan 22, 2017
fiizznation:
You are very mischievious and never straight forward. Have you even read what the dean of the school said about the "proposed law"?(Seunmsg created a thread about it, go look it up). Did you hear when he(dean) said the law became a necessity because some muslim groups are becoming nuisance(s) in the school.

There is absolutely nothing like Christian body in the school according to the dean, so I ask you, how can this outright ban be targetting Christian students/body that is of almost nonexistent in the school?

Nobody is restricting anybody to practice their religion freely. Christian association doesn't exist in the school and the MSSN that only exist in the school as a religion society is being regulated by the school with the introduction of this new law. So how is this a problem?

You know sharia law is binding on only Muslims and you are here making noise about what doesn't concern Christians.

There are schools(including FG owned schools) in the east that doesn't have muslim students associations and you don't see anybody crying about it. Why? Because muslims constituted like 0.001% in those schools, so nobody will even expect muslims to have associations there.

They have asked you to name one state or federal university in the East that does not allow MSSN and you are here foaming in the mouth.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 5:20pm On Jan 22, 2017
A7:
The authorities of the Umaru Yar’Ádua University, Katsina, have denied discriminating against Christian students in the approval granted a students religious association to operate on its campus.

The Acting Dean of Student Affairs of the University, Sulaiman Kankara, had in January 17 memo informed students of a new guideline for the registration of clubs and associations in the institution. In the circular, Dr. Kankara indicated that participation in clubs and associations, including departmental ones, were strictly optional and that no student should be compelled to pay dues. He also outlawed the formation of tribal and local government associations in the university. But the controversial part of the memo which made the document to go viral was the dean’s pronouncement that the “Muslim Students Society of Nigeria (MSSN) is the only religious association allowed to operate on campus.”

After the memo was shared on social media, the university came under ferocious attacks from many Nigerians, with some commentators saying the guideline was part of government’s plot to Islamise Nigeria. But when contacted on Sunday morning, Dr. Kankara said that aspect of the guideline was actually targeted at Islamic groups which were beginning to mushroom on campus, creating division among students of the same faith.

The dean said, “Actually there is one misconception in the memo. But the fact of the matter is that in Umaru Yar’Ádua University, there is no association known as Christian Students Association.

“They are Islamic students association. So what we want is to have a single union which will be the mouthpiece of muslim students and that is the Muslim Students Society of Nigeria.[/b

[b]“It has nothing to do with any Christian group because up till now, I have not received any application requesting registration of Christian Students Society. “And once they do that, we are ready to register them.

Even as at last week, we said the two religious group to be recognised by the university will be the Muslim one and one from Christian side.

“Up till now we are to receive any application for the registration of any Christian association in the university from any group.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/221208-katsina-university-says-memo-religious-groups-campus-targeted-muslims-not-christians.html
...people just like jumping into conclusion without finding out what is really happening
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by tiwiex(m): 5:22pm On Jan 22, 2017
ayatt:
i suggest u should go back and read the memo very well for proper understanding..

Christians in the school never registered any form of organisation in the school, if they did it could have been duly recognised.

So please lets all stop the hatred

That wasn't the memo. That was the response. That is not a verified claim and something tells me there is a Christian organization there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by nengibo: 5:32pm On Jan 22, 2017
fiizznation:
You are very mischievious and never straight forward. Have you even read what the dean of the school said about the "proposed law"?(Seunmsg created a thread about it, go look it up). Did you hear when he(dean) said the law became a necessity because some muslim groups are becoming nuisance(s) in the school.

There is absolutely nothing like Christian body in the school according to the dean, so I ask you, how can this outright ban be targetting Christian students/body that is of almost nonexistent in the school?

Nobody is restricting anybody to practice their religion freely. Christian association doesn't exist in the school and the MSSN that only exist in the school as a religion society is being regulated by the school with the introduction of this new law. So how is this a problem?

You know sharia law is binding on only Muslims and you are here making noise about what doesn't concern Christians.

There are schools(including FG owned schools) in the east that doesn't have muslim students associations and you don't see anybody crying about it. Why? Because muslims constituted like 0.001% in those schools, so nobody will even expect muslims to have associations there.
Can you name these schools in the east.

4 Likes

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by drake2(m): 5:33pm On Jan 22, 2017
luvinhubby:

They have asked you to name one state or federal university in the East that allow MSSN and you are here foaming in the mouth.

University of Nigeria, Nsukka has a beautiful mosque and should have association
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 22, 2017
fiizznation:

Please state one or two of those schools. Please.

1 Like

Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by stone07(m): 5:49pm On Jan 22, 2017
I just imagine how Muslims all over Nigeria would have reacted if this exact notification letter is written against the Muslim association.
Just imagine it.
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by stone07(m): 5:51pm On Jan 22, 2017
Stop arguing with them. They are devils. Satan have hardened all their minds.
One Nigeria my foot.
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jan 22, 2017
fiizznation:

Chai, m sure u have Neva be to the south or east b4, almost all school in Nigeria have Muslim association, including state n federal. so what the fvck are u saying.
Re: Katsina University Religious Regulation: An Illegality Taken Too Far by nairaman66(m): 5:58pm On Jan 22, 2017
TonyeBarcanista:

katsina is not a sovereign state, it is a component of Nigeria. Hence, subject to the Nigeria constitution, and must abide by the Supremacy of the constitution as stated in Section 1 of the 1999 constitution.

Secondly, S1(3) clearly VOID any law or regulation that goes against S1(1).

Thirdly, Sharia law is binding on only Muslims in Katsina state and NOT the entire population. Hence, you can't take a non-Muslim to Sharia court.

Fourthly, Katsina state, being a component of Nigeria is subject to the African Charter. Even Egypt, a predominantly Muslim country subject itself to the Charter, and allow non Muslims to freely associate.

Fifthly, which State Uni in the South discriminate against Muslims?

Don't mind the idiot!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

University Of Ibadan 2012/2013 Postgraduate Admission, Lets Meet Here / Investigations On The Alleged "New Jamb Eligibility Regulation" / 11 Pictures Relating To Secondary School In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.