Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,780 members, 7,802,411 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:57 PM

Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? (20855 Views)

Labourer Won A Saloon Car From Dangote (Photo) / Barbing Saloon Vs Laundry Services: Which Is A Better Business? / Barbing Saloon Esterblishment (cost, Materials And ROI)?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by star4ever: 4:48pm On Jan 23, 2017
Hi Nairalanders,

I will appreciate your candid advise on a business decision which I feel you may be of help to provide superior comments to enable me make informed decisions.

I am seriously considering setting up a business with the little money at my disposal. This decision has been a tough one in view of the fact that, I once set up a hair dressing saloon and recharge card/phone shop in the past but the business couldn't survive due poor management by my workers among other reasons.

I know this is not a very good time for importation or international business, however, I would like to start travelling to Dubai to buy jewelleries and sell. Part of what is driving this, is due to the nature of my work which entails meeting top government functionaries on a day to day basis. I want to use the network I have built over the years as my target. This means that I have a good client base considering their status and ability to patronize me. I am on paid employment and therefore do not have time for businesses that require 100% supervision. Based on the foregoing, I want to know how profitable the business is, the intricacies, the best approach to use for such a business and any other advise that can help a sister in this circumstance.

Secondly, following the collapse of my hair dressing saloon, I was strongly advised by friends to try barbing saloon which if run on commission basis will yield income and remain sustainable. But I am afraid to venture into this business because I don't want to loose money again especially, in this hard times.

Nonetheless, I have a strong conviction that gold selling if well coached will help a great deal to increase my financial base over time.

The following are the objectives of this starting a business:
1. to make additional income other than my monthly salary
2. to increase the money at hand rather than leave it in the bank without any attractive margin
3. sustainability
4. profitability

I await your comments, suggestions, opinions etc.

Thank you.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by delishpot: 4:59pm On Jan 23, 2017
Well, if you are sure about the purchasing power of your clients, why not start a salon first and later add the jewelry biz. In short mix the two. Do home service for salon That way you only buy mobile equipment and do the jewelry one too.

5 Likes

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by star4ever: 5:08pm On Jan 23, 2017
Thank you so much.

Please, how does home service work?

Besides, what is mobile equipment?

2 Likes

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by delishpot: 7:18pm On Jan 23, 2017
star4ever:
Thank you so much.

Please, how does home service work?

Besides, what is mobile equipment?

Home service :- Going to clients home to make their hair. Mobile equipment are hair styling equipments you can carry to your clients place ie things that do not Need to be permanently fixed in your shop.

2 Likes

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by Addicted2Women: 8:15pm On Jan 23, 2017
[b]
I would recommend a barbing salon

But jewelry business is good but not that great, who do you want to sell those jewelries to ?? Where do you wanna sell them ??

When you say jewelry, you mean real jewelries like Jesus piece, Cuban links, Hublots and Audemars or you mean those fake dog chain the Hausa people sell ??

If you want those type of dog chain the Hausa guys sell, go to China, they are very cheap there

Why would you go to Dubai ?? This is the reason why many of you won't be successful in business, you want to rush to Dubai to go see tall buildings

If you call yourself a businessman and don't know that China is the business headquarter of the world, you don't deserve to be in business

When i went to China, i was shocked, i saw them manufacture Rolex Replicas and Audemar Piquet replicas, i bought 3 Rolex for $400, came back to New York and went to a Rolex shop and sold each one for $13,000

Things are manufactured cheaply in China, for example, an IPhone 6 earphones for $1 and sell them for $13 in the USA [/b]

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by adonbilivit: 8:15pm On Jan 23, 2017
if you have time...set up a barbing salon, employ good barbers and run it. #majorKey. if its on commission basis without you being there always, you will be shortchanged.
Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by korel9: 8:16pm On Jan 23, 2017
Travelling,
Ask our President grin
Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by publicenemy(m): 8:16pm On Jan 23, 2017
You are in a fantastic position so think harder...

You could open up a very good boutique and give them ur card. There is more respect in that than hand to hand buying and selling.

I just think you shouldn't be in a rush,you have all the time. So think harder there will always be better option.

1 Like

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by soberdrunk(m): 8:16pm On Jan 23, 2017
Barbing saloon business is not as easy as it seems, there are so many saloons in almost every corner and most people dont change barbers often, its better you stick with the gold biz.....

Ps- I have used the same barber for '25 years', i changed location and used the same barber for three months till the barber bought 'brand new' toyota corolla, i had to change him.(Yes am a hater!! And am also superstitious angry)

9 Likes

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by Iamwrath: 8:16pm On Jan 23, 2017
Hehehehe

Pimping lmao

As a full blood undiluted Yoruba

I will advise you to go and wash your head at the red Sea because the village people are not happy

After then, buy loads of Ankara and deliver it in person to grandma

Go back to wash your head again this time at the Atlantic Ocean

Because if your other precious businesses failed, another more expensive business might fail,

No let them run you down

Fetish and funny but trust me I know

2 Likes

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by CarrotAndStick: 8:17pm On Jan 23, 2017
Jewellery all the way! It's like comparing an old, semi-deaf Buhari with a young and vibrant Trump.
Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by Chidexter(m): 8:17pm On Jan 23, 2017
With the barbing salon there's no way you can lose,(if managed properly.) it's quite profitable I must say. Getting professionals would be key, if they do a good job, more people would patronize. You have people coming to you on a daily basis unlike jewelry business where you have to create awareness

As for jewellery business, you said you have contacts so it should be easy, and since it would likely bring huge sum of money to you per transaction. Cases where customers don't pay on time is a demerit, and would force you to use from your own money to keep financing the business

1 Like

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by Silentscreamer(f): 8:17pm On Jan 23, 2017
If ur job gives u sufficient time to sell/market the Jewellery, then go for it.
Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by VictorAB: 8:17pm On Jan 23, 2017
V
Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by Igboboy59(m): 8:19pm On Jan 23, 2017
barbing rock
Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by Ajusshi: 8:19pm On Jan 23, 2017
delishpot:

Home service :- Going to clients home to make their hair. Mobile equipment are hair styling equipments you can carry to your clients place ie things that do not Need to be permanently fixed in your shop.
Did you even read the post?

2 Likes

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by sKeetz(m): 8:19pm On Jan 23, 2017
Pls if you get to know of anyone selling his/her car. Any model and any color. In good condition with all the documents valid and legal, and the price is between 750k and 1.500m Please let him/her sell it. I am not interested.
Thanks.

11 Likes

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by BaEnki(m): 8:19pm On Jan 23, 2017
Hello everyone, please help me review the picture below and tell me the rule I've broken, antispam keeps banning me anytime I try to create this topic. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by ffrreeee(f): 8:19pm On Jan 23, 2017
Jewelry
Jewelry
Jewelry
You won't regret it
You may not even get a shop
Since its additional source of income, jewelry is better

1 Like

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by Kobicove(m): 8:21pm On Jan 23, 2017
In jewelry business you would have to deal with a lot of bad debts unlike a barber shop where you get your money immediately...

But then it also depends on your risk appetite.

Having a barber shop also has its downsides, you need to monitor 'sales' closely otherwise your workers will steal you blind!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by Nuezha(m): 8:21pm On Jan 23, 2017
star4ever:
Hi Nairalanders,

I will appreciate your candid advise on a business decision which I feel you may be of help to provide superior comments to enable me make informed decisions.

I am seriously considering setting up a business with the little money at my disposal. This decision has been a tough one in view of the fact that, I once set up a hair dressing saloon and recharge card/phone shop in the past but the business couldn't survive due poor management by my workers among other reasons.

I know this is not a very good time for importation or international business, however, I would like to start travelling to Dubai to buy jewelleries and sell. Part of what is driving this, is due to the nature of my work which entails meeting top government functionaries on a day to day basis. I want to use the network I have built over the years as my target. This means that I have a good client base considering their status and ability to patronize me. I am on paid employment and therefore do not have time for businesses that require 100% supervision. Based on the foregoing, I want to know how profitable the business is, the intricacies, the best approach to use for such a business and any other advise that can help a sister in this circumstance.

Secondly, following the collapse of my hair dressing saloon, I was strongly advised by friends to try barbing saloon which if run on commission basis will yield income and remain sustainable. But I am afraid to venture into this business because I don't want to loose money again especially, in this hard times.

Nonetheless, I have a strong conviction that gold selling if well coached will help a great deal to increase my financial base over time.

The following are the objectives of this starting a business:
1. to make additional income other than my monthly salary
2. to increase the money at hand rather than leave it in the bank without any attractive margin
3. sustainability
4. profitability

I await your comments, suggestions, opinions etc.

Thank you.
Barbers salon can be cited anywhere and that's an unrivalled advantage. Jewelry business requires grade A security which requires insurance. One burglary and it's all over.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by Adesiji77: 8:21pm On Jan 23, 2017
cool
Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by sKeetz(m): 8:21pm On Jan 23, 2017
Invest that money into MMM, thank me later!!

3 Likes

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by cold(m): 8:22pm On Jan 23, 2017
A classic case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you choose to go the salon route you might hit the same brick wall as you did with the previous one. If you decide to go the jewellry route your so called 'rich clientele' might stall your business with excessive credit. And it might even affect your relationship with close associates when you choose to ask for your money. Nothing damages a relationship like asking a Nigerian to pay his/her debt.
Having said that, if you still want to take a leap in the dark, i'd suggest you go the jewellry route. Seems a safer risk to take in a manner of speaking.

3 Likes

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by Iamwrath: 8:23pm On Jan 23, 2017
sKeetz:
Pls if you get to know of anyone selling his/her car. Any model and any color. In good condition with all the documents valid and legal, and the price is between 750k and 1.500m Please let him/her sell it. I am not interested.
Thanks.

Weed is good grin

8 Likes

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by Ajusshi: 8:23pm On Jan 23, 2017
adonbilivit:
if you have time...set up a barbing salon, employ good barbers and run it. #majorKey. if its on commission basis without you being there always, you will be shortchanged.
True, but then again, there is no business venture you can do in Nigeria without being short-changed by your employees except you are there 24/7.

2 Likes

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by menzo4u: 8:23pm On Jan 23, 2017
I'll suggest barbing but it all depends on the location of the business
Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by Iamwrath: 8:24pm On Jan 23, 2017
Nuezha:

Barbers salon can be cited anywhere and that's an unrivalled advantage. Jewelry business requires grade A security which requires insurance. One burglary and it's all over.

Must you quote the whole chapter? Haba people

1 Like

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by dicksononline(m): 8:24pm On Jan 23, 2017
OP should please :Pborrow me the money till she finally decides tongue

2 Likes

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jan 23, 2017
sKeetz:
Thanks.

Stale

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by kekilika: 8:28pm On Jan 23, 2017
My fellow nairalander, you are putting the cart before the horse. Your objective(s) of opening a business to make profit is wrong. The objective and your objective should be because there are Customers' requirements which you can meet. That's my Expo for you

5 Likes

Re: Jewellery Business And Barbing Saloon, Which Is Better? by abumeinben(m): 8:29pm On Jan 23, 2017
kekilika:
My fellow nairalander, you are putting the cart before the horse. Your objective(s) of opening a business to make profit is wrong. The objective and your objective should be because there are Customers' requirements which you have to fulfil. That's the first step

True bruh, service first.... Rewards naturally follow.

And for this, barbing wins.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

69 Countries Propel Nigeria To Become Africa’s Financial Centre / Waste Disposal Business / Bank Workers To Blow Whistle On Stashed Funds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.