Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,566 members, 7,809,065 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:08 PM

Review Of Olumuyiwaolayinka.. 11 Things You Need To Sort Out FAST! - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Review Of Olumuyiwaolayinka.. 11 Things You Need To Sort Out FAST! (415 Views)

Help! How Do I Sort Out My Facebook Ad Payment. / Is Advisable For Entertainment Blogging. / New/upcoming Bloggers Beware Of (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Review Of Olumuyiwaolayinka.. 11 Things You Need To Sort Out FAST! by Copycracker(m): 8:06pm On Jan 23, 2017
Okay.

I'm going to try something a bit different this time.

Or maybe not. wink

As usual, I'll offer my disclaimer- I'm not a pro. You should get a pro's opinion if you disagree with my review.

For me, the point of a review is to point out things you can do better on your site. Things that can help you and your business.

And when it comes to this site, I'm not going to mince words- There's a lot you need to change to do better with your site.

So, let's begin:

1. Your colour scheme

That orange and grey colour scheme really doesn't do much to encourage me to continue down your site. I don't know, but there's something about that grey that sort of dulls the site experience for an average user.

I mean, it doesn't have to be too "shiny" with super colours and all.

But your site should really sparkle and draw a user in.

So, please change the colours.

If possible, try to have some white in there. Your content, which should be typed in black, will be easier to read against a white background.

2. Your text size

Okay, I officially dare anybody reading this to go to the site at olumuyiwaolayinka. and try to read the content without having to squint a little bit.

Is there anybody that didn't have to squint?

Exactly.

Your text size is too small for the average ADHD-afflicted web surfer. It requires us visitors to squint.

And fact is, a large majority of us wouldn't.

We'll just hit the "Back" button and leave.

Increase the size just a bit and you'll be golden.

3. Your URL

Your URL is how people are supposed to find you.

So it makes it harder to find you when your URL isn't exactly user-friendly.

It needs to be something easy to remember like www.cnn.com or www.facebook.com or www.google.com or yahoomail.com.

Your URL is tough to remember and the . extension further worsens it.

Fix that. Come up with a better URL, buy the domain name and get web hosting.

No story. Just do it.

4. Your tagline- EVERYTHING POLITICS, ECONOMY, OPINIONS, INTERVIEWS & LIFESTYLE, WE REMAIN THE NO. 1.

Normally, I encourage wearing many different hats and trying different things.

Oh wait, no I don't.

When you say "Everything Politics", you have carved out a huge niche. And then you add on economy, "opinions" (What is that?), interviews and lifestyle, that's way too much on your plate.

As a matter of fact, they are no longer on your plate. Some of them are already " drip drop, drip drippity" dropping on the floor.

I looked through your site and couldn't find one single interview, lifestyle or "opinions" ( I still don't understand what this is) themed article.

In my honest opinion, I think if you want to write about politics, you already have a lot to write about or report.

Why add on other fields when you haven't completely covered one?

I think you need to narrow your niche down.

Also the tagline that appears at the bottom of the photo on your home page? The one that says "Your No.1 trusted blog for everything"?

That just sounds tacky, doesn't tell your potential readers that your site is actually for them and doesn't really add anything to your site. Remove it.

5. Your photo

If it was a personal site, it would make sense to have your photo on your site. (And if that was the case, you need to put up a better photo)

But you seem like you're trying to write in the News niche so pleaseee take your photo off.

Your readers are supposed to come to your site for news. When they see your pic, there's the possibility that some readers would just leave.

I mean, your URL is your personal name, and then your tagline says you're about news in politics, economy, etcetera shmetcetera.

And then we get to your News site and see your face on the home page.

That's like me going to CNN's site and seeing a picture of Ted Turner on the home page.

Not good.

Take it off, unless you want to have that as your personal site (in which case, you'll need to make a huge overhaul of the site).

6. Your content isn't unique.

Now, you might get a bit offended here but before you do, try to keep an open mind.

I looked at a few of your articles and they basically look like you just went to www.punch.com.ng or the Guardian's website, copied and pasted what you saw there.

That is not good enough.

You put your name on your site. You said it's the No.1 blog for everything, but yet, don't write with a unique voice?

How are you going to become No.1 when you sound like a copy?

You need to find your unique way of reporting News.

The News niche is already crowded with almost a million blogs writing about the same things in the same way, except for a few who actually report certain stories first.

For me, writing like the crowd is not going to earn you a huge following.

Because when we read your content, we start to think maybe we already read this at another site and then we leave.

7. Way too many words per article for a News Blog

I mean, you're already reporting News (on a regular basis) that will already attract a lot of attention.

For a writer's blog or a blog in most niches, long form content helps to make you seem like an expert.

Keeping it short and sweet at about 300- 500 words is the way to go. Then you could always have another post underneath with something like:

"MUST READ: How Donald Trump bla bla bla" or whatever you want to write.

So they leave that article and go to the next article.

Also see this post on what makes a viral article as well as get your content shared and read- http://neilpatel.com/blog/how-to-give-your-content-wings-we-analyzed-11541-viral-articles-from-2016-to-uncover-the-secret-formula/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email

8. You write about everything News

I mean, you are not Linda Ikeji.

And if you're trying to be, you really should stop. Because there's already like 5 million naija bloggers trying to be the next Linda Ikeji.

Everybody has a blog dedicated to reporting what Kim K did or that one Lagos hotelier turns a worker into a sex slave or whatever.

I get it. Sex and Gossip sells.

Linda Ikeji taught us all that.

The problem is when you say your site is about everything politics, economy, lifestyle, etc and then start posting news like this, you just seem like another Linda Ikeji- wannabe.

All those types of "news" are none of your business.

You should be focused on telling us about power shifts in our government and how it concerns us, how the economy is changing and how we can benefit from that.

Not talking about two chicks kissing snakes or whatever.

I mean, have you ever heard of Perez Hilton writing about the global economy?

9. Text widget in your footer section of your page.

It reads:

"TEXT WIDGET

This is a text widget, which allows you to add text or HTML to your sidebar. You can use them to display text, links, images, HTML, or a combination of these. Edit them in the Widget section of the Customizer."

Whatever that is, get rid of it.

10. Your blog stats

Having a particular place displaying your stats- 27,621 hits.

That's just tacky, and amateur-ish (if that's a word).

Putting that on there is like trying to boast to your friends or whoever that you get traffic.

Here's a secret- A rich man doesn't have to tell you he's rich.

In the same vein, when you put that up there, it makes it pretty obvious that you're not really getting that much traffic.

I mean, it's even hard to believe that figure when most of your articles don't even have any comments at all.

11. And my final one...

What is your purpose for blogging?

What will bring readers to your site?

What's unique about your site?

You haven't really figured that out yet.

What is your site centered on? Is it to educate, entertain or inform? You need to figure out these questions soon, because right now, it really isn't doing anything except reporting news in any way different from about a million other blogs.

Okay, now I'm done.
Re: Review Of Olumuyiwaolayinka.. 11 Things You Need To Sort Out FAST! by babatee126(m): 10:42pm On Jan 23, 2017
Indeed! You are great

(1) (Reply)

Partners Needed In Abuja / The Best Nigerian Blog Spotted!! / USA Adsense Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.