Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:07 AM

Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online (27309 Views)

Never Put These 5 Things On Your CV When Applying For A Job In Nigeria / I Mistakenly Sent An Unupdated CV When Applying For A Job (Advice Needed) / Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by 1k001(m): 8:08pm On Jan 23, 2017
I'm sure many job seekers have heard some of these things below. They, however, bear repeating as I've recently had to do some hiring again and I still see too many people do these. So please don't:

1. Forward CV's from previously forwarded emails - Shows you're too lazy and unobservant. How can your email contain forwarded info of previous applications? Be wise, delete it. While you're at it, make sure to write an accompanying email and not just forward a blank email.

2. Forget to include a cover letter - Research the company and be as specific as possible in your letter. It shows you're not lazy like the average person out there is. It also helps you highlight how your unique skills and experience will help the employer. Again, make sure the email containing your CV is not empty, or says something dumb like, 'see attached'. If you're too busy to write something to a potential employer, then the employer will be too busy to look at your CV.

3. Use comic sans - We're not in kindergarten, use a serious font. This doesn't apply of course if you're applying to become a clown or to work in a comic shop or kids related company.

4. Scan and email CV as an attachment - I thought everyone had learned this but I still receive CVs like this. I don't even read, just click delete straight. The standard is PDF format created from a word document. Document should be easily identified. Document title should include your name and job position applied for. e.g 'john.bull.cv.account.officer.pdf'

5. Ignore linked in - We're in the technology age so I check all my applicants' linked in profile automatically using a plugin in my inbox. If you have a killer profile with shared connections with me, you're getting an interview. If you don't, well you'd have to impress me somewhere else. Linked in is such a low hanging fruit, use it. Google how to create a killer linked in profile, it's not that hard! First thing is a good picture.

6. List generic skills - Everyone is a team player, fast learner, has good interpersonal skills etc. What did you do to demonstrate a trait? That's what employers are interested in.

Example:

'I have good planning skills' - poor.

'I planned an event for 1000 people with a tight budget that achieved a 90% satisfaction rate in a post-event survey' - better.

Always try to put figures to your achievements. Tell me, 'I led a new marketing initiative that raised sales by 100%', I want to talk to you yesterday!

7. Use a photo - Unless you're working in the media this is generally a bad idea. If you must use a photo, ensure it's professionally taken against a plain background.

8. Include Interests and hobbies - Take this section out. Leave it in only if it's spectacular. That is something like you were a champion dancer or a published author, otherwise, nobody cares about it. Everyone likes to read, dance and meet new people. Why should that make anyone want to hire you?

9. Demonstrate inexperience - Is your CV too sparse? go and find something to do to fill it up. If you're approaching 30 and only have a few lines in your CV, sorry it will end up in the trash. 20-year-olds now are becoming billionaires so go out and get some experience somehow and somewhere. Being unproductive in your own time signals to the employer that you will be unproductive on his time. Even if it's farming you have to go do, do it and put it in your CV, there is dignity in every kind of labor.

The trick to a killer CV when you're inexperienced is to create a model CV with all the experiences and skills employees want. It would be a lie at first, but make it a goal to convert every single lie to a truth. You will look back in a few years time and realize you have become an amazing person. You don't need a job to do this. Just initiative and a hard working mentality.

Hiring is risky. reduce the risk by letting the potential employer know that the job he's about to give you will be easy for you to do because you've demonstrated it in the past.

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Jglad(f): 9:47pm On Jan 23, 2017
Op, abt No 2, I think it varies cos some adverts specifically don't require ur cover letter. Av seen some as well...

#just saying

3 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by ezimo777(m): 11:02pm On Jan 23, 2017
excellent

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by maxwell767(m): 12:29am On Jan 24, 2017
@ Op.. Nice write up

But let me draw ur attention to Number 9.

Am sure u are fully aware that the age u gained admission into tertiary education may not be the expected age u came out..

E.g gaining admission at the age of 20 year
Expecting to graduate after ur four years course at the age of 24, but came out at the age of 28 due to the Economic situation.

You talked about experience, let me ask u, how will one get experience if people like u don't give them the opportunity..

There are thousands of people who graduate from universities only to waste their skill which they acquired to some linier jobs...

E.g a doctor decided to go into petty trade

I read ur thread and I have to tell u that I am disappointed, why? Cause u make boast of ur self especially the one you threw cv's into the bin..

Has it ever occurred to u that those people might have a good potentials of which u can help them to find it.

And how are u sure that those ones that got it right wrote the CV's and cover letter themselves, and at the end of the interview u will be amazed by what u see.

Please don't be deceived by those so called great professionally written CV, what matters most is how the employees DELIVER!

125 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by wunmi590(m): 12:59am On Jan 24, 2017
Yes, this is a front page material.
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Dondippino: 4:57am On Jan 24, 2017
Hi Op, please do note that best interviews don't necessarily guarantee best hires at all times

5 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by RIPEnglish: 6:40am On Jan 24, 2017
This will not still come and guaranteed us jobs in nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by FearFactor1: 6:41am On Jan 24, 2017
So I go land this she'll work with these points grin grin grin
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Jchi9876: 6:42am On Jan 24, 2017
Please I have a very important question;

Can I write how many nairaland girls I have scatter their yanssssh in my resume when applying for jobs online?

8 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Charleschidera(m): 6:44am On Jan 24, 2017
Ok
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by bobo65(m): 6:45am On Jan 24, 2017
OP ur criteria too much jare

After everythin, u guys will now be paying d graduate 40k

13 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Benjom(m): 6:46am On Jan 24, 2017
Good

You can't read these two articles on CV & Cover Letter with adequate examples (screenshots) and not know what's wrong with your current CV (WARNING: Not for lazy readers):

www..com/complete-step-step-guide-writing-successful-cv/

http://.com/how-write-exceptional-cover-letter/

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by bobo65(m): 6:48am On Jan 24, 2017
Jchi9876:

Can I write how many nairaland girls I have scatter their yanssssh in my resume when applying for jobs online?

Is dis suppose to be funny?

9 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Jchi9876: 6:49am On Jan 24, 2017
bobo65:

Is dis supposed to be funny?

At all at all officer!
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Icaretoo: 6:49am On Jan 24, 2017
Jchi9876:

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by KINGTELLER: 6:51am On Jan 24, 2017
naa wao.. All these epistles because ofjob. That is why employers employ liars rather than skillful and gifted mindset, all to impress one overzealous HR personnel who finds him/herself in a position of authority ... HR should champion their selective skills to fight for the good benefits of their employees rather than antagonize job seekers cv. The best HR dont look at your cv to invite you for interview take a good look at P&G company and other multinational firms. instead they send you a job related questionnaire/scenario and judge your performance based on your response (Your scores are automated)

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by maberry(m): 6:51am On Jan 24, 2017
Nice write up op
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by unmask: 6:52am On Jan 24, 2017
This is a good write up and it covers a lot.....short and concise

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by ItzHoludex(m): 6:53am On Jan 24, 2017
okay... thanks
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by emmanuel596(m): 6:53am On Jan 24, 2017
Even with all this things getting a job in Nigeria ain't easy

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Horlawale1(m): 6:57am On Jan 24, 2017
For the job seekers grin angry
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Gistboy: 6:58am On Jan 24, 2017
Based on exprience. Most companies dnt look at your cover letter except if they ask for it. most just request for your CV

1 Like

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by eitch: 7:00am On Jan 24, 2017
I could have wholly agreed with you but for a few reasons like:
Most online applications don't sound like doing all these

You really encouraging putting in pseudo skills? Those kind of things i believe could get you embarrassed if you're called for an interview and you're asked to defend your claims

and lastly, all these sound like theories. They really guarantee nothing, so why should i spin my already overworked brain due to being jobless after school on writing applications to (how sure am i it's not even gnld) companies i'm almost sure only advertised vacancies for doing sake

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by nmreports: 7:03am On Jan 24, 2017
The Three Most Important Rule When Applying For A Job Via Email:
https://www.nairaland.com/3551504/three-most-important-rule-when

I however disagree with the op on the cover letter and pdf rule. This may confuse lots of people and misdirect them but your effort is commendable.

So folks, whats important are the application rules laid down by the vacancy advertiser.

You can read it directly here and other helpful articles. http://www.hrtechnique.com/2017/01/how-to-send-application-via-email.html?m=1

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Dharkchild: 7:04am On Jan 24, 2017
maxwell767:
@ Op.. Nice write up

But let me draw ur attention to Number 9...

Has it ever occurred to u that those people might have a good potentials of which u can help them to find it.

And how are u sure that those ones that got it right wrote the CV's and cover letter themselves, and at the end of the interview u will be amazed by what u see.

Please don't be deceived by those so called great professionally written CV, what matters most is how the employees DELIVER!

Here is the thing. A cv is an advert telling the recruiter these are the skills you have and you have achieved this and that with it. Where you have not achieved anything, you must convince the recruiter you can effectively fulfil the job role.

Potentials you mentioned on the contrary is what is within you. The recruiter had no internal Google search to see your spirit man in order to ascertain that you can carry out the required duties.

It is therefore your responsibility as a job seekers to convince the recruiter that you are indeed capable of handling the job by citing were you have handled related roles or how and where you have gained skills that can help you handle the job.

Your cv is an important marketing tool. Sell yourself properly

Ps. It is not the job of the recruiter to help people find their skill, his wok is to hire people who can DELIVER or who have proven that when given a chance they would deliver

2 Likes

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by nmreports: 7:04am On Jan 24, 2017
Gistboy:
Based on exprience. Most companies dnt look at your cover letter except if they ask for it. most just request for your CV

I agree.
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Majesticniyi(m): 7:07am On Jan 24, 2017
maxwell767:
@ Op.. Nice write up

But let me draw ur attention to Number 9.

Am sure u are fully aware that the age u gained admission into tertiary education may not be the expected age u came out..

E.g gaining admission at the age of 20 year
Expecting to graduate after ur four years course at the age of 24, but came out at the age of 28 due to the Economic situation.

You talked about experience, let me ask u, how will one get experience if people like u don't give them the opportunity..

There are thousands of people who graduate from universities only to waste their skill which they acquired to some linier jobs...

E.g a doctor decided to go into petty trade

I read ur thread and I have to tell u that I am disappointed, why? Cause u make boast of ur self especially the one you threw cv's into the bin..

My brother. Stay there and be complaining o....the truth is nothing you say would change the fact that what is written up there by the OP is true and what obtains in the recruitment process.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Odunharry(m): 7:08am On Jan 24, 2017
Nicely put op.. No knowledge is a waste.
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by ustavo(m): 7:10am On Jan 24, 2017
REALLY NICE WRITE-UP
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by intergral(m): 7:11am On Jan 24, 2017
Op nice write up.... But some decisions you will take there as an employer will not land you a skillful/talented person.... That is how many employers loose people that will take their company or organization to greater heights. That is why white men rely more on interview rather than all this write write.
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by koolcat: 7:12am On Jan 24, 2017
Jchi9876:

how did u do it??
Re: Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online by Akeem79(m): 7:12am On Jan 24, 2017
Good information

Meanwhile

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Top 8 Jobs With High Employment Chances For Fresh Graduates / Festus Keyamo Reveals Number Of Nigerians Employed Under APC / 7 Things You Should Do While Waiting For That Dream Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.