Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,454 members, 7,808,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? (24541 Views)

Netflix Finally Acquires Popular Nigerian Sitcom / What Comedy/sitcom/romantic Comedy TV Series Are You Watching Right Now? / Do You Know This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by nnokwa042(m): 10:34pm On Jan 24, 2017
naptu2:

I'm sure you know why I decided to quote you.

I asked someone this question this morning and her response is identical to yours.
not mind ur language but second chance
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by nnokwa042(m): 10:40pm On Jan 24, 2017
naptu2:
The name of the sitcom is Second Chance. It was a Nigerian adaptation of the British sitcom Mind Your Language.

Funso Alabi acted as Teacher Gyang.

Abiola Atanda was Madam Kofo

Joke Silva was Roli

Tony St Iyke (Anthony Ikerionwu) was Okonkwo

Ijoma Isaac was Anuka

Lai Ashadele was the principal

Olu Jacobs also acted as the principal

Mohammed Danjuma (I can't remember his screen name)

Collins Onomoh was Odiri

Other characters included

Kutcher (the old soldier)

James Johnson Fyneface

It was shown on the NTA from c1984- c1989.
My gwaad ur super duper u got all the names right u can't believe I searched for second chance on you tube once i got it and i enjoyed it but now I think they took it off ,u can watch mind ur language as u like on u tube, naija why

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by MD45: 10:48pm On Jan 24, 2017
naptu2:
The name of the sitcom is Second Chance. It was a Nigerian adaptation of the British sitcom Mind Your Language.

Joke Silva was Roli

Ijoma Isaac was Anuka

Collins Onomoh was Odiri

James Johnson Fyneface

Mohammed Danjuma of blessed memory (one of the heavy weight comedians of the 90s) was "Tanko" the hausa mallam in the sitcom

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by scobaba: 10:52pm On Jan 24, 2017
naptu2:

Joke Silva was Roli

Ijoma Isaac was Anuka

Collins Onomoh was Odiri

James Johnson Fyneface

Omo leave am. napt2u senior everybody for Nairaland undecided

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by scobaba: 10:56pm On Jan 24, 2017
naptu2:
Which classic Nigerian sitcom did these actors and actresses star in?

All the actors and actresses pictured below starred in a particular Nigerian sitcom.

1) What is the name of the sitcom?

2) What were the screen names of the actors and actresses?

3) What are the real names of these actors and actresses?

4) What are the names of the other actors and actresses that starred in the sitcom?

Tara tara tatata tara tara tantatatata

Tara tara tatatat tarara tantatata ta grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by axeman10(m): 11:09pm On Jan 24, 2017
naptu2:

Joke Silva was Roli

Ijoma Isaac was Anuka

Collins Onomoh was Odiri

James Johnson Fyneface

Mohammed Danjuma was Malam Tanko.

Thanks for the memories.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by deolu2000(m): 11:26pm On Jan 24, 2017
steppin:
Op wan show us say im don old. The next thing na to take suffering dey brag.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by deolu2000(m): 11:27pm On Jan 24, 2017
steppin:
Op wan show us say im don old. The next thing na to take suffering dey brag.
lolss.... Can som1 actually boast wt suffering?
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by sorextee(m): 11:34pm On Jan 24, 2017
Abeg, who get the soundtrack to TALES BY MOONLIGHT? I really need it. Thanks. Ishilove, pls point me to d right direction.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Nobody: 1:31am On Jan 25, 2017
Second Chance, our answer to mind your language.

(madam kofo tipped me off)

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 1:39am On Jan 25, 2017
MD45:

Mohammed Danjuma of blessed memory (one of the heavy weight comedians of the 90s) was "Tanko" the hausa mallam in the sitcom

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 2:51am On Jan 25, 2017
nnokwa042:
My gwaad ur super duper u got all the names right u can't believe I searched for second chance on you tube once i got it and i enjoyed it but now I think they took it off ,u can watch mind ur language as u like on u tube, naija why

You are lucky. You got to watch it on YouTube. I have never seen a clip of Second Chance on YouTube. There are so many clips of Mind Your Language on YouTube, but I've not seen even one clip of Second Chance.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 2:54am On Jan 25, 2017
MD45:

I remember the characters that I listed because they are the most famous ones, but I believe that there were other characters on the show, but unfortunately I can't remember any of them. Do you remember any of the other characters?
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 2:54am On Jan 25, 2017
axeman10:

Mohammed Danjuma was Malam Tanko.

Thanks for the memories.

Thank you.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by xreal: 2:56am On Jan 25, 2017
davibid:
If you know any of them you should go and marry

grin

you mean their grandchildren?
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by xreal: 2:57am On Jan 25, 2017
davibid:
If you know any of them you should go and marry

grin

you mean their grandchildren?

.... sorry, u mean their children shouldbe married by ?
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 3:06am On Jan 25, 2017
Tony St Iyke (Okonkwo) starred in a very famous UBA commercial.

Mohammed Danjuma (Tanko) was a stand up comedian and he also acted in Checkmate.

Isaac Ijoma (Anuka) was a voice over artist who did very many radio commercials.

Abiola Atanda (Madam Kofo) was famous for her gigantic geles on the show and she went into the gele business after the show. She is also a Globacom ambassador.

Collins Onomoh (Odiri) acted in many radio comedies.

Olu Jacobs was Mr Ribena and he also acted in very many tv series and movies (including Third Eye).

Joke Silva has also acted in many tv series and movies.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by deife(m): 3:31am On Jan 25, 2017
Ishilove:

Your mother is older than I am. Is she a hag?

Omo ale jatijati.

Ishilove, please ignore the kid.

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 4:27am On Jan 25, 2017
Mind Your Language was a hilarious British sitcom about an English language school for (adult) immigrants in Britain.

There were students from France, Italy, Greece, China, India, Pakistan, Hungary, Japan, etc. Most of the students could only speak a little bit of English, while some couldn't speak English at all. This led to hilarious misunderstanding.

The show played on stereotypes of people from these countries, eg, the Chinese woman, Su-Lee was always quoting "Chairman Mao" and arguing with the Japanese man, Taro; the French woman, Danielle, was very sexy; the Indian, Sanjeet and the Pakistani, Ali, were always arguing; the German woman, Anna, was incredibly strong, serious and efficient, etc.

Second Chance had a similar theme, but the students came from different parts of Nigeria, rather than different parts of the world. It was an adult education class (the Nigerian government was pushing an adult education policy at the time), hence the name Second Chance.

There was Madam Kofo, the wealthy yoruba trader who sold women's clothes and jewellery, Okonkwo, the igbo businessman, Tanko the butcher, Roli, the young and sexy Port Harcourt girl, Anuka, the igbo spare parts dealer, Kutcher, the retired soldier who fought in the second world war, Odiri, the taxi driver from Bendel, etc.

2 Likes

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by naptu2: 4:34am On Jan 25, 2017
Mind Your Language. The Verb To Be grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBa0CrPI0D8

1 Like

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by KellyMachine(m): 6:25am On Jan 25, 2017
AdiscoPele:

Pls can u provide a link to get dis classic evergreen sitcom?
go to youtube..
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by grandstar(m): 7:24am On Jan 25, 2017
naptu2:

Joke Silva was Roli

Ijoma Isaac was Anuka

Collins Onomoh was Odiri

James Johnson Fyneface

You're a genius! Did you watch Voltron? grin grin
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Ishilove: 7:55am On Jan 25, 2017
deife:

Ishilove, please ignore the kid.
I have. Thanks, sir.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by Ishilove: 7:56am On Jan 25, 2017
grandstar:

You're a genius! Did you watch Voltron? grin grin
Naptu2 is one the producers of that classic cartoon grin
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by nnokwa042(m): 7:57am On Jan 25, 2017
naptu2:

You are lucky. You got to watch it on YouTube. I have never seen a clip of Second Chance on YouTube. There are so many clips of Mind Your Language on YouTube, but I've not seen even one clip of Second Chance.
comedy of 84 to 87 Nigeria don't ve the record is a pity while western world even ve 1920s comedies on u tube
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by ademoladeji(m): 8:47am On Jan 25, 2017
naptu2:

Joke Silva was Roli

Ijoma Isaac was Anuka

Collins Onomoh was Odiri

James Johnson Fyneface

You don old ooooo.

How many grandchildren you get?
grin grin grin grin
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by ReneeNuttall(f): 10:01am On Jan 25, 2017
how person go take know when my mama and Papa still Dey do boyfriend and girlfriend then.
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by dabossman(m): 10:13am On Jan 25, 2017
Thanks for these memories Naptu2. I watched both Mind Your Language and Second Chance growing up. Also remember comedy shows like The Jeffersons with George and Louise, and Good Times that had Jay Jay and John Amos as their father. Then there was Different Strokes,Mixed Blessings, Sanford and Sons and the likes. The 80's was the real deal.

naptu2:
Mind Your Language. The Verb To Be grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBa0CrPI0D8

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by petkoffdrake2(m): 11:26am On Jan 25, 2017
Ishilove:

Naptu2 is one the producers of that classic cartoon grin

My crush PLS come and unban me cry Petkoffdrake

I was ban till 2025
Re: Do You Know The Name Of This Classic Nigerian Sitcom? by manikspears: 6:34pm On Jan 25, 2017
naptu2:

Joke Silva was Roli

Ijoma Isaac was Anuka

Collins Onomoh was Odiri

James Johnson Fyneface

You make me cry, by bringing back memories from my forgotten region cry

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BBNaija: Liquorose Emerges Head Of House (Video) / Academy Awards - Oscars 2022 (Full List Of Winners) / Top 10 Korean Words You'll Always Hear In A Kdrama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.