Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,628 members, 7,801,816 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? (11521 Views)

Leadership Newspaper Website Hacked / Is Daily Independent Newspaper Website Back Up Yet? / Creating A Newspaper Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by yawatide(f): 4:12pm On Dec 03, 2009
mambe:
IMHO, what ruppert is doing actually makes sense, depending on how you look at it.  Bear in mind that he doesn't want to "sell" the content of all his online news, just financial.  Now, there are only few sources as good as Wall Street Journal, if at all, and so I am sure, though I could be wrong, that there are those who wouldn't mind paying a premium for that information.  In other words, if he were trying to "sell" regular news, that wouldn't work.

Coming to think of it, where all else fails, why doesn't Ruppert just replace his regular ads with google adsense ads?  Worse case, he will make money from the ad impressions cool

legba:
The good thing about the net is that unlike regular software, you can update the web literally every second. I have been blessed to work with companies with very busy sites. These companies monitor site traffic like crazy. Even a 5% drop triggers red flags all over the place and meetings would have been held within 3 days of such a drop. Before you know it, a decision, no matter how long it took to implement or how expensive is yanked, just to get the traffic back to normal. Why? because a drop in traffic is a drop in ad revenue (advertisers always demand to see the logs for themselves).

There was no excuse for what punch did. Worse case, they should have set up a beta site for it and done such risky (IMHO) experiments there. Heck, google is pretty much code proof yet every single thing they put out at first is deemed beta so who is punch?
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by mambenanje(m): 4:42pm On Dec 03, 2009
@Yawa
what is bad is not what Ruppert is doing, but the way he is doing it. insulting King of Web while taking that step. in other words. the best way fight is not to challenge the president because you will be dead in no time wink
Most people dont have the habbit of paying for news, but they could, though its risky.
Some can do it like you said the financial content seekers but are you sure google will not get sources with about 80% equal content and then present it for free ??
at the end of the day they will loose credibility amongst Google fans and also loose web traffic to their site, but like I read they dont care about the latter. but Mine you Google doesnt make money from news search and its not like news search is google.com wink its just an experiment. why fight with the king and spoil your name over one of its experiments wink
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by yawatide(f): 5:12pm On Dec 03, 2009
Well as they say, time will tell.

Again, bear in mind that very few, if at all, can match the reputation of wall street journal. Again, time will tell.

For the record, though I don't necessarily agree with the move, I can assure you, though I don't have the facts to back it up that, unlike Punch, ruppert has done some proper feasibility studies and may have even gone as far as making whoever will be hosting the news sign a contract of secrecy until the deal is sealed (or not).

Regardless, make no mistake about it - others will be watching and ruppert might as well be setting a precedent, a bad one, but a precedent nonetheless.

Again, time will tell.
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Dec 03, 2009
i guess the guys at punch decided to wake up, how can you make a decision like that when you have more than enuf competetors
what a bad way to get punched
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by puffpuff: 6:54pm On Dec 03, 2009
The site used to be my daily tonic until it became commecialized. I have since deleted it from my memory. infact it makes the hardcopy disgusting to me and I have stop reading it. They are typical extortionists and capitalism who always think of making money out of anything and/or anybody. To hell with the paper.
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by GeorgeD1(m): 11:55am On Dec 04, 2009
bros, take it easy. in business there are no permanent enemies. just permanent interests. grin
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by yawatide(f): 12:07pm On Dec 04, 2009
I thought that was in politics. Hmm. undecided undecided grin cool undecided undecided
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by GeorgeD1(m): 1:03pm On Dec 04, 2009
not only in politics, friend. even in business.
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by abasiko: 1:57pm On Dec 04, 2009
Someone must have made money from it, one consultant somewhere would have sold them the model !! and they fell for it hook, line and sinker - i nearly peed my pant when i saw that they were trying to charge for stale NEWS !! Newspapers sell yesterday's news which we go don hear for ITV or Silverbird etc - bunch of clowns, i no dey even go there again, free or not ,
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by stede(m): 3:44pm On Dec 04, 2009
@ poster, thanks 4 ur info.
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by mansmith(m): 4:17pm On Dec 04, 2009
you can not win them all, you win some you lose some
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by semid4lyfe(m): 5:30pm On Dec 04, 2009
Take a look at these bookmarked news websites on my phone. If I read news on all these websites F.O.C, why should I pay to read the news on punch website?  

Silly people! They just shot themselves on the feet.

Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by semid4lyfe(m): 6:07pm On Dec 04, 2009
More bookmarked News websites. Take note of the other Nigerian daily newspapers which are direct competitors to Punch.

Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by semid4lyfe(m): 6:09pm On Dec 04, 2009
^^ ? ? grin
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by semid4lyfe(m): 6:27pm On Dec 04, 2009
Something must have been really wrong with those guys. There are other sites equally as good and even better that report the same news they do and it's F.O.C to read the news on these other websites.

Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by GeorgeD1(m): 7:54pm On Dec 05, 2009
very interesting indeed! grin
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by GeorgeD1(m): 5:59pm On Dec 07, 2009
punch, bunch! grin
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by SamMilla1(m): 11:02pm On Dec 07, 2009
well i told the webmaster that it will eventually backfire. looks like i am a prophet.
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:29pm On Dec 08, 2009
you certainly are. smiley
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by Noxious: 7:41pm On Dec 08, 2009
Good for them! I knew that "business model" was bound to fail! I don't even have time for them again!
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by sayhi2ay(m): 7:53pm On Dec 08, 2009
yawa-ti-de:

I have been blessed to work with companies with very busy sites.  These companies monitor site traffic like crazy.  Even a 5% drop triggers red flags all over the place and meetings would have been held within 3 days of such a drop.  Before you know it, a decision, no matter how long it took to implement or how expensive is yanked, just to get the traffic back to normal.  Why? because a drop in traffic is a drop in ad revenue (advertisers always demand to see the logs for themselves).

Seun can probably use similar traffic trend/logs to generate revenue. He can meet with the marketing directors in telecoms or bank industry-explain the works-and why they should advertise on his site.

He would have to show what percentage of site visitors visit the bank/telecom post section, what they are looking for, how they came about the site, post topics, and how all these relates to users eventually going to the banks site, are these users looking for info? or just posting regular stuff, - the likes- should have a strong case to show the site will lead to back to their site blah blah blah
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by GeorgeD1(m): 8:42pm On Dec 08, 2009
the guys are wiser now. smiley
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by Nobody: 3:53pm On Dec 10, 2009
@ poster, that's beta now. Who want pay for news wey dey free for other sites?
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by linkfactor: 1:20pm On Dec 11, 2009
Big lessons learnt here. I also don't think online news would be paid for in the future by anyone. It's funny though: if you can or have to pay for news prints, why can't there be an online model (that'll work)?
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by GeorgeD1(m): 4:20pm On Dec 11, 2009
there are online newspapers you still have to pay to read.
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by linkfactor: 8:45pm On Dec 11, 2009
Are they making money? How much money?
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by GeorgeD1(m): 9:57pm On Dec 11, 2009
i think they are. these are foreign newsprints by the way.
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by dayotee2(m): 1:08pm On Dec 13, 2009
hm,  this is an interesting post, it is even more interesting with Yawa leading the argument of a wrong doing by punch.

As against yawa's argument, I will like to see this from another angle, Yes punch tried out a business model which a lot of people including me didnt see working/succeeding in the Nigeria enviroment but there is no error in trying anything in this world anyway, business itself is risk and in steping out to implement anything you take risk either good or bad the worst thing that can happen is that you fail and try again.

As in the case of punch, credibly feasibility studies was carried out by professionals, I was a bit fortunate to review a document by the a team from LBS but the truth is punch was ahead of time (2 years from reports) and everybody knows that.

There is nothing wrong with punch did but in the Nigeria environment its a big deal, you may want to read this post on google's plan for paid news also:

http://blogswork./2009/09/10/google-plans-paid-news-platform/

When this was first implemented, I seek to know the reason behind this and the argument was: punch business is sustain mainly by the print edition of the publication and with the introduction of the mobile edition and e-paper (page by page version of the print edition online called e-paper first from punch in Nigeria and in testing the market it has been free for over 2 years) of punch newspaper, the print edition stand the rick of losing purchasing power since you can now read the stories in your cars, molue and anywhere on your mobile phone, the mobile edition will sure contest with the print if it is free, so its best to restrict access and balance the circulation of the paper with the mobile content less the print edition falls short in sales while the online remains free.

However after implementing this, some argue, why should I pay for the mobile and e-paper but the web which have the same content remains free, again another valid argument from business point of view and as such the web version was placed behind a pay wall.

Now the question in my head is this, where did punch get it wrong? there is nothing wrong with restricting your content, that is a no issue, it is punch's content and before the website it wasn't free, the print is not free so if they decide to make the web paid service also, i see nothing wrong in this in the business sense, but what went wrong?

Some factors I think was against them includes:

1. Nigeria's environment
2. The cost of subscription, in my sense of thinking its too expensive, I will rather buy the print where i will see advert and gain concept on graphic.
3. Wrong Timing

The decision to make it free was made I believe after the management reviewed the success or failure of the business model, did it work did it not work, the public may never know but I am happy punch is free again.
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by bayoogere(m): 1:52pm On Dec 13, 2009
I wonder oooooo! The decision has to be reversed considering growing rate of online news in Nigeria. Or what do you guys think?
Re: Punch Newspaper Website Free Again? by GeorgeD1(m): 8:22am On Dec 14, 2009
i agree. timing is everything in business.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Hacking Team / What Is The Difference Between Web Design And Web Development? / At What Naira Exchange Rate Does Adsense Pay?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.