Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:43 AM

Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU (22218 Views)

Lagos PDP Is Searching For A Popular Candidate To Face Ambode In 2019..see Names / APC Mustn’t Behave Like PDP, Tinubu Replies Okorocha / Ademola Adeleke Becomes PDP's Senatorial Candidate, To Replace Late Brother (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by Ofunaofu: 4:48am On Jan 26, 2017
National Leader of All Progressives Congress, APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, yesterday, outlined steps that can urgently take Nigeria out of recession, if taken and that Buhari was the right candidate to beat Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Tinubu, who for the first time spoke on the inside strategy that catapulted the APC to power, gave reasons he backed President Muhammadu Buhari for the 2015 presidential election, adding that in a short-while Buhari had done what the ousted Peoples Democratic Party, PDP could not do in the war against the Boko Haram insurgency.

Tinubu made the disclosures while addressing participants of Course 25 of the National Defence College, NDC.

He commended the military for its exploits against the Boko Haram insurgents and warned that Nigeria must be on her guard.

‘’I commend the Nigerian military for what it has achieved against Boko Haram. You have battled and defeated this evil enterprise. This vile force has been reduced to where it no longer poses a strategic threat. You have done as well as a military can in putting down this amorphous danger. The nation thanks you. I must say here, however, that we cannot lower our guard.

‘’We have learned cardinal lessons from the Boko Haram crisis. First, we must govern justly and for the benefit of the people to prevent the recurrence of violent extremism in the future,’’ he said.

Unjust allocation of resources

To wriggle out of recession, Tinubu said we must ensure just allocation of resources and shift primary focus to the economic front.

His words: ‘’The decline of high oil prices threatens to be a long-term phenomenon. It placed the nation in recession last year and revealed the structural weaknesses of our national economy.

‘’Strategic objectives during this period of economic uncertainty must be to re-engineer the economy bottom up, diversify the economic base, strengthen our industrial base, modernize infrastructure, enhance agriculture, and provide employment. And of course, ease of doing business must not be overlooked in order to attract foreign investment.

‘’The lower oil prices also reduced hard currency earnings. This undermined the naira, causing a steep rise in the cost of imports. The higher prices have suppressed aggregate demand, causing a decline in business activity.

‘’The challenge before us is a difficult but not impossible one. If we stick to the progressive beliefs of the APC, we shall overcome these difficulties to place the economy on surer permanent footing.

‘’Government has shown its commitment to these ideals via its budget for this year and by the strong help it is giving state governments to meet their budgetary requirements. The unprecedented stipend programme for the poorest highlights the government’s concern for those who have been left unattended by the dynamics of the marketplace.

Economic restructuring

‘’Achieving the desired economic restructuring will require a change in economic mindset and strategy. We must avoid the nostrums of mainstream orthodoxy that say government deficits are always bad. In the situation we face, deficit spending is essential to bolster aggregate demand and direct funds to projects that build infrastructure and bolster employment.

‘’We must better harmonize monetary policy with fiscal policy. It undercuts our goals if monetary policy is unduly tight at a time fiscal policy begets deficit spending.

‘’We must also realign trade policy with our need to create a meaningful industrial base and more potent agricultural sector. We can no longer allow cheap imports to preclude the development of industries and sectors strategic to our enduring economic future.’’

Tinubu noted that “widespread” poverty caused by an unjust allocation of income, wealth and resources provides fertile ground for extremist ideologies, that run contrary to the inclusive democracy we seek to perfect. Protracted years of gross mis-governance are a down payment on the rise of extremism.’’
Delving into his personal experience, Tinubu said his vision has been on the transformation of Nigeria into “a robust decentralized democracy with a diverse industrial base, to provide sufficient jobs to a growing urban population; and a sufficient agricultural base, to achieve food security and provide a decent livelihood to the rural population.’’

According to him, this was the reason he fought against military rule and initiated steps to kick the PDP out of power.

Practical strategic leadership

His words: ‘’During the 1980’s and 1990’s, a progressive politician like me was at extreme odds with the military. This opposition was not against the military as the military. It was against military governance. Military governance was diametrically opposed to the democratic Nigeria I envisioned.’’

Where we are now

‘’Leading into the 2015 election season, progressive politicians throughout Nigeria and across party lines recognized the nation was in deep trouble. Corruption was rampant. The Boko Haram menace growing. The economy was unbalanced and government policy was not providing the right growth catalysts despite favorable oil prices. PDP governance had overstayed its welcome. The people were ready for change. And we must develop the strategic leadership and determination to achieve the change.

Standing as separate parties, we could not best the PDP. We had tried that path; it led to defeat in 2011. A strategic rethink was needed.

To attain the goal of ousting the PDP and placing Nigeria on the road to progressive governance, the strategic linchpin would be the merger of opposition parties.

Time is inadequate to recount the complex journey toward the merger. My firm position was that only a merger would work. Anything short of that would disintegrate due to a combination of PDP enticement and the internal pressures arising from the strong identification of many politicians with their legacy parties. An ad-hoc alliance would be put asunder by these factors.

‘’Our push for a merger of the old parties into a new entity carried the day. We would join hands to form a collective identity. The CPC and my party, ACN, ANPP a long with progressive elements of the APGA formed the party. Key elements of the PDP would later join.

‘’For this amalgamation to work, it had to be more than an anti-PDP gathering. It had to present a genuine, positive message that spoke to people’s hopes and aspirations.
We developed the theme of change as our strategic message. The broom became an apt party symbol. We would sweep out the old, sweep in the new and work hard towards prosperity for our country.

‘’We fashioned a tripartite campaign message and strategy message. Security, Economy and Corruption. We would drive these three messages home as if with military artillery. However, we have only our leadership and strategic hammer.

Buhari was the right candidate to beat PDP

‘’Still all of this would have been to no avail without the right candidate. Given his stature and reputation for integrity, honest dealing and patriotic commitment, there really was no other candidate to have carried the day, than then General Muhammadu Buhari.

‘’Yet, even with such a figure as our candidate, we foresaw the need to construct a public relations strategy to counter false accusations of religious intolerance and parochialism that would be hurled at him. We did this with great success because we prepared for these attacks beforehand…

‘’We did not win the election by accident. I had studied the resulting and voting patterns of all the prior elections since 1999. Our team did an honest assessment and detailed assessment of our strengths and weaknesses and those of our opponents.

How we won 2015 presidential poll

To win, we knew the votes we needed and identified the likely places and demographic constituencies from which the bulk of those votes must come. We did not waste time chasing votes we would not get. We concentrated on our strengths and the other side’s weaknesses, realising that our defence must be as tight as if we are inside the War College here in Abuja.

‘’The other factor is one that is little spoken of. Our early insistence on biometric voter registration and the use of the card reader on voting day were of strategic importance as it is essential to safeguarding the integrity of the electoral process. In past elections, PDP vote padding had been massive in certain areas. We had to curtail this malpractice to achieve the objective of making the election as fair as possible, allowing us a chance to win.

‘’The card reader minimized the rigger’s ability to steal the election. Before its use, results could be written without regard to the number of actual people who cast ballots.

In a polling booth where 50 people actually showed up to vote, the rigger could falsify figures and claim that 500 votes were cast. With the card reader, the rigger could steal no more than 50 votes. The tallies could not be inflated beyond the number of actual voters.

‘’Upon these strategic pillars, we built historic victory. For the first time in the nation’s history, incumbent president and party lost the national election. This historic transition further cemented our democratic evolving tradition and structures, advancing us closer to the overarching vision that guides my political actions.

Where we are going

‘’In relative short order, the Buhari administration has done what the prior government seem unable to do. With the courage and dedication of the military, Boko Haram has been subdued. Also, notable and significant progress is being made against corruption. Press freedoms and civil liberties are protected, putting to lie those who cried that President Buhari would not respect democracy and rule of law.’’

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/01/buhari-was-the-right-candidate-to-beat-pdp/

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by Nobody: 4:55am On Jan 26, 2017
Disgusting

88 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by Tolexander: 5:12am On Jan 26, 2017

How we won 2015 presidential poll

To win, we knew the votes we needed and identified the likely places and demographic constituencies from which the bulk of those votes must come. We did not waste time chasing votes we would not get.
hmmm!

They didn't waste their time chasing 5%, leaving the 95%!

72 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by Afriifa(m): 5:19am On Jan 26, 2017
I don't like Tinubu as a Person, but I must confess his political BRAIN is immeasurable

91 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by Nobody: 5:36am On Jan 26, 2017
Good talk, but we need an urgent implementation of the right economic and financial strategy to take us out of this recession. I believe i can also help nigerian out of this recession. For a recession proof, license, regulated,and audited investment, check my signature.

8 Likes

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by bankyblue(m): 5:59am On Jan 26, 2017
Jagaban! Any way, I understand u sha. Power ply 2019 don start..........

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by IVORY2009(m): 6:01am On Jan 26, 2017
Lolzzz Jagaban, u gave us a sick president!

15 Likes

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by layzie: 6:06am On Jan 26, 2017
" right candidate to beat PDP" is the key phrase here.

I hope we can say the same about leading/ruling Nigeria.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:10am On Jan 26, 2017
Buhari would only have been the right candidate if he improved on the condition of living of Nigerians.

A woman is not right just because she got married to a man, but because she got married to a good man.

Of what use is the rightness of defeating PDP to Nigerians when APC has proven to be worse.

I like Tinubu for his uncanny ability to spot talent that have become his rock since joining politics, but for now , there's nothing to celebrate about Buhari's presidency.

I don't know about tomorrow...

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by Toosure70: 6:15am On Jan 26, 2017
And it came to pass, JAGABAN the African political prophet.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by sinistermind(m): 6:19am On Jan 26, 2017
Yes the right candidate to beat PDP but was he the right candidate to take Nigeria to soaring heights? But we all definitely knows the answer. The plan was just to get PDP out of power and nothing more after that.

84 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by mr1759: 6:26am On Jan 26, 2017
tunubu is saying this so that the northerners can leave power for his boy osibanjo since there is rumor of death already , so that osibanjo will not suffer what goodluck faced

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by estyvino(m): 6:27am On Jan 26, 2017
See textbook

I didn't read it

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by DoyenExchange: 6:33am On Jan 26, 2017
OK.
Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by TeleboiZ005(m): 6:37am On Jan 26, 2017
Where is the "right sense" in ruling undecided

Can u c me

2 Likes

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by koladebrainiac(m): 6:57am On Jan 26, 2017
I love Tinubu.
His brain
But this. Comment is worse. How can u say freedom of press n civil liberty

Buhari has failed.

Tho we voted him but we discovered he is more concern with saving the face of northerns than saving the face of Nigeria.

He act so arrogant on some issues.

Release nnamdi kanu.
If you cant prosecute Dansuki release him .

Allow the float of dollars . but close borders.

10 Likes

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by psalmsjob: 7:18am On Jan 26, 2017
To me, firstly it is the most important thing is the electronic voting and biometrics adopted by inec and Jega's integrity.

Secondly, the cluelessness and corruption of GEJ to fight Boko Haram and glaring stealing is not corruption.

Thirdly, the alliance of the parties and of course saibaba.

Terrorism (checked) technically
Corruption (checking) fighting back
Economy (unchecked) Work In Progress

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by obinoral1179(m): 7:26am On Jan 26, 2017
A comprehensive CV to remind buhari boys of what he is capable of doing in 2019.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by idupaul: 7:28am On Jan 26, 2017
At the end of the day we have all lost because we ended voting in the most useless president in history

41 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by Gariki: 7:30am On Jan 26, 2017
angry cheesy
Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by Boleyndynasty2(f): 7:33am On Jan 26, 2017
To you guys you just wanted GEJ out not minding if your candidate has anything upstairs

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by ReabridCharles(m): 7:53am On Jan 26, 2017
I no get wetin I go comment. Make I just laugh de go....... grin grin grin grin grin

Onye Ara!!!
Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by 7lives: 7:56am On Jan 26, 2017
Boleyndynasty2:
To you guys you just wanted GEJ out not minding if your candidate has anything upstairs

If I have my way, I will vote against Jona again.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by Nobody: 7:57am On Jan 26, 2017
7lives:

go eat..mummy is calling you undecided

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by Goke7: 8:11am On Jan 26, 2017
say what you want to say about tinubu, if only he was truly allowed to make some inputs at the centre, by now the results we see in Lagos despite the recession we would also be seeing same from Abuja.

All the Political opposition to tinubu who hold sway in Abuja are all looking like learners compared to what is happening in Lagos.

Results are the true measure of leadership not whether your face is ugly or handsome.

9 Likes

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by Boleyndynasty2(f): 8:14am On Jan 26, 2017
7lives:

Deal with the first voting against jona you did, there isn't a 2nd time. I hope your life has improved and you're now a big boy?

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by three: 8:46am On Jan 26, 2017
Ofunaofu:
His words: ‘’The decline of high oil prices threatens to be a long-term phenomenon. It placed the nation in recession last year and revealed the structural weaknesses of our national economy.

Bad, ignorant and obnoxious policies put the country in recession not declined oil prices, is Nigeria the only oil producing country suffering 'declined oil prices'?

Tinubu noted that “widespread” poverty caused by an unjust allocation of income, wealth and resources provides fertile ground for extremist ideologies, that run contrary to the inclusive democracy we seek to perfect. Protracted years of gross mis-governance are a down payment on the rise of extremism.’’

Now you have achieved 'wider spread poverty' on one hand and incredible wealth creation via forex manipulation to a few on the other

Delving into his personal experience, Tinubu said his vision has been on the transformation of Nigeria into “a robust decentralized democracy with a diverse industrial base, to provide sufficient jobs to a growing urban population; and a sufficient agricultural base, to achieve food security and provide a decent livelihood to the rural population.’’

After all this is what you achieved in Lagos

His words: ‘’During the 1980’s and 1990’s, a progressive politician like me was at extreme odds with the military. This opposition was not against the military as the military. It was against military governance. Military governance was diametrically opposed to the democratic Nigeria I envisioned.’’

At extreme odds but you have no problem inheriting 'Ronald Chagoury', Abacha's business partner to be yours abi?

‘’For this amalgamation to work, it had to be more than an anti-PDP gathering. It had to present a genuine, positive message that spoke to people’s hopes and aspirations.

'Genuine, positive message' that is currently impoverishing the same people you hoodwinked with 'hope and aspiration'? Continue..

We developed the theme of change as our strategic message. The broom became an apt party symbol. We would sweep out the old, sweep in the new and work hard towards prosperity for our country.

Jonathan was the cord around your 'broom' once the cord was taken away, d broom SCATTERED!

‘’We fashioned a tripartite campaign message and strategy message. Security, Economy and Corruption. We would drive these three messages home as if with military artillery. However, we have only our leadership and strategic hammer.

Fantastic strategy to win an election, Abysmal (zero) plan to lead a nation = We weren't planning to lead we just planned to topple and loo...

‘’Still all of this would have been to no avail without the right candidate. Given his stature and reputation for integrity, honest dealing and patriotic commitment, there really was no other candidate to have carried the day, than then General Muhammadu Buhari.

The Grasscutter and other stories (2015-2017) and 53 Suitcases and other stories (1984) says otherwise

‘’Yet, even with such a figure as our candidate, we foresaw the need to construct a public relations strategy to counter false accusations of religious intolerance and parochialism that would be hurled at him. We did this with great success because we prepared for these attacks beforehand…

false accusations of religious intolerance? Yeah, right

‘’We did not win the election by accident. I had studied the resulting and voting patterns of all the prior elections since 1999. Our team did an honest assessment and detailed assessment of our strengths and weaknesses and those of our opponents.

Good job here, your political prowess shows

‘’The card reader minimized the rigger’s ability to steal the election. Before its use, results could be written without regard to the number of actual people who cast ballots.In a polling booth where 50 people actually showed up to vote, the rigger could falsify figures and claim that 500 votes were cast. With the card reader, the rigger could steal no more than 50 votes. The tallies could not be inflated beyond the number of actual voters.

The same card reader you used to defend your proxy governor's win stating that it wasn't enshrined in the electoral act - It's good when it's useful to you and it's bad when it's not

‘’In relative short order, the Buhari administration has done what the prior government seem unable to do. With the courage and dedication of the military, Boko Haram has been subdued. Also, notable and significant progress is being made against corruption. Press freedoms and civil liberties are protected, putting to lie those who cried that President Buhari would not respect democracy and rule of law.’’

Sir! you're joking right?!!!!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by voicelez: 8:49am On Jan 26, 2017
Was their intension who will beat PDP or who will make the country a better place smh

5 Likes

Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by linkers: 8:49am On Jan 26, 2017
So after that what happened now
Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by Emekaflatt: 8:49am On Jan 26, 2017
Tinubu will never say this

it's maligning and uncalled for. This is fake news
Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by akandry: 8:49am On Jan 26, 2017
undecided
Re: Buhari Was The Right Candidate To Beat PDP — TINUBU by jmoore(m): 8:50am On Jan 26, 2017
$1= 500 Naira Right candidate indeed.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu: Super Eagles Have Found A Home In Lagos / Aisha Buhari Breaks Fast With Wives Of Heads Of Missions (Pictures) / FG Investigating 'Turkish Support For Boko Haram' - Defence Headquarters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.