Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,988 members, 7,806,872 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:46 AM

Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing (11287 Views)

Open Letter To Nigerian HR Managers/recruiters. / 5 Productive Things Nigerian Graduates Can Do During Weekends / Please Stop Doing These 9 Things When Applying For Jobs Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by LifestyleTonite: 1:54pm On Jan 26, 2017
Every Nigerian job seeker can surely tell you one or two things that HRs put them through which they dislike. Below are a few I could pen down. Kindly read till the end.

1. Keeping interviewees waiting

HRs send messages to job seekers to appear for an interview at a particular time of a said date. This is strongly adhered to by job seekers, but these recruiters never stick to that time. They keep the interviewees waiting for hours to the point of exhaustion before attending to them. Such jobs are usually shitty jobs bound to enslave graduates. They need to stick to time in consideration of the fact that most people who showed up for the interview gave one flimsy excuse to get a leave from their current job just to attend the interview. Some just went AWOL with the hope of quickly going back to work after the interview only to be delayed.

2. Devaluing Nigerian graduates

HRs know what the available position in their company is worth or offers, yet they still prefer to ensure that they beat the remuneration down cos they know that desperate job seekers won't mind taking the offer. Instead of going with the industrial standard or a bit below it, they prefer to box you into a tight corner that will see you take half of what the position is really worth. Before you know it, that becomes the new industrial standard cos every other company in that sector will key into the idea. What they don't know is that they are devaluing Nigerian graduates just to please their bosses. This is why Lebanese and Chinese companies love to take graduates for a ride in Nigeria. I think they should include the salary the position offers in the job advert. This will make only those comfortable with such pay to apply.

3. Increase the speed of the air conditioner

I know you are already wondering why I included this as a point. In as much as I find it funny, I don't think it's funny. These HRs place candidates in a room with AC increased to the maximum and leave them there for hours. I wonder if it's deliberately done to make them see how cool their work environment is. This stunt of theirs almost affected me on 2 occasions. I didn't know I was already frozen until it was time to write the Test. My hands were seriously shaking like someone in Antarctica. Every time I try to pen down an answer, my hand kept dancing away from the answer sheet. I didn't know when I called them to put it off, even though it made me look like a village boy.

4. Countless interview stages

I believe this annoys many job seekers. After attending several stages of the company's interview, you get sent a regret mail, or at worse they never contact you again. The disappointment you feel is made worse when you remember how excited you got when they sent you an SMS that you past their test and made it to the next stage. You feel like committing suicide when you remember how you spent your last card or borrowed money just to attend their interviews. I think the Nigerian Senate needs to set a law that will make companies pay a certain fee to interviewees, even if it's just 1k. This will help cover transportation expenses and prevent companies from inviting job seekers more than they can really employ. Abi no be so?

5. Bogus job titles

These HRs are now skilled in the art of luring job seekers to apply for jobs they can't even be caught dead doing. This they do by over inflating the job title in an attractive way. You hear titles like Sales Executive, Sales Supervisor, Sales Officer, Sales Consultant etc. That was how a friend of mine wore a wedding suit to an interview cos the job title sounded awesome- Business Development Executive. He was angered when he realized the position was a marketing role with shitty pay and unattainable targets to be achieved before you get the pay.

To all HRs reading this, make una no vex o. I still dey find job. Make una no use vexation throwey my CV if una see am. Na God I use take beg una. In short, na me Dobale for ground so.

Written by Adewole Segun

https://lifestyletonight..com.ng/2016/12/things-nigerian-hrs-need-to-stop-doing.html

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by BiafranBushBoy: 2:30pm On Jan 26, 2017
Nigerian Firms are the ones that abuse the job titles

There is a huge difference between Sales officer, Marketing Executive and Business Development Officer.

The same way there is a diferrnce between a coach and a manager.

Nice points tho.

13 Likes

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by Mackin: 10:36pm On Jan 26, 2017
LifestyleTonite:
Every Nigerian job seeker can surely tell you one or two things that HRs put them through which they dislike. Below are a few I could pen down. Kindly read till the end.

1. Keeping interviewees waiting

HRs send messages to job seekers to appear for an interview at a particular time of a said date. This is strongly adhered to by job seekers, but these recruiters never stick to that time. They keep the interviewees waiting for hours to the point of exhaustion before attending to them. Such jobs are usually shitty jobs bound to enslave graduates. They need to stick to time in consideration of the fact that most people who showed up for the interview gave one flimsy excuse to get a leave from their current job just to attend the interview. Some just went AWOL with the hope of quickly going back to work after the interview only to be delayed.

2. Devaluing Nigerian graduates

HRs know what the available position in their company is worth or offers, yet they still prefer to ensure that they beat the remuneration down cos they know that desperate job seekers won't mind taking the offer. Instead of going with the industrial standard or a bit below it, they prefer to box you into a tight corner that will see you take half of what the position is really worth. Before you know it, that becomes the new industrial standard cos every other company in that sector will key into the idea. What they don't know is that they are devaluing Nigerian graduates just to please their bosses. This is why Lebanese and Chinese companies love to take graduates for a ride in Nigeria. I think they should include the salary the position offers in the job advert. This will make only those comfortable with such pay to apply.

I know you are already wondering why I included this as a point. In as much as I find it funny, I don't think it's funny. These HRs place candidates in a room with AC increased to the maximum and leave them there for hours. I wonder if it's deliberately done to make them see how cool their work environment is. This stunt of theirs almost affected me on 2 occasions. I didn't know I was already frozen until it was time to write the Test. My hands were seriously shaking like someone in Antarctica. Every time I try to pen down an answer, my hand kept dancing away from the answer sheet. I didn't know when I called them to put it off, even though it made me look like a village boy.

4. Countless interview stages

I believe this annoys many job seekers. After attending several stages of the company's interview, you get sent a regret mail, or at worse they never contact you again. The disappointment you feel is made worse when you remember how excited you got when they sent you an SMS that you past their test and made it to the next stage. You feel like committing suicide when you remember how you spent your last card or borrowed money just to attend their interviews. I think the Nigerian Senate needs to set a law that will make companies pay a certain fee to interviewees, even if it's just 1k. This will help cover transportation expenses and prevent companies from inviting job seekers more than they can really employ. Abi no be so?

5. Bogus job titles

These HRs are now skilled in the art of luring job seekers to apply for jobs they can't even be caught dead doing. This they do by over inflating the job title in an attractive way. You hear titles like Sales Executive, Sales Supervisor, Sales Officer, Sales Consultant etc. That was how a friend of mine wore a wedding suit to an interview cos the job title sounded awesome- Business Development Executive. He was angered when he realized the position was a marketing role with shitty pay and unattainable targets to be achieved before you get the pay.

To all HRs reading this, make una no vex o. I still dey find job. Make una no use vexation throwey my CV if una see am. Na God I use take beg una. In short, na me Dobale for ground so.

Written by Adewole Segun

https://lifestyletonight..com.ng/2016/12/things-nigerian-hrs-need-to-stop-doing.html

U said it all. About the AC I hd twice exprnce and I caution dem but lucky enough I ws told dey intentionally do dat to knw maybe am physically fit. u can imagine

I wonder wat dey want to do wit Marital status and religion. maybe dey want to add to person wife or divorce the only one u hav and change u from one religion to another.

They giv u a form to fill/ ask about ur salary details. they collect all your company/ your personal financial information all in the name I will get back to you but never get back and also never review about der salary details

Intevw is about chatting,they read or memorize from script to intervw u and expect u to answers it to der satisfaction. wen is ur time to ask question dey ignore ur questions.your first question= dey refer u to der website. second question= so u expect me to answer dis or we don't hav the information @hand. Third question= we are running out of time

U will be schedule for intervw up to 4/5 times as if the position u apply for na CEO.the last schedule will be factory trial or inspection and make report.na deceit. knw valid position dey are just using ur ideas to achieve der goal.

They knw u are working till date and dey will never discuss it wit u during intervw period of your notification but some doz .They will offer u apportionment letter to start work wit immediate effect or very short notice but for der own, it's written in bracket 20 workin days must be giv as notification.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by alBHAGDADI: 6:25am On Jan 27, 2017
Mackin:

They giv u a form to fill/ ask about ur salary details. they collect all your company/ your personal financial information all in the name I will get back to you but never get back and also never review about der salary details

It's this part that annoys me. I wonder why a company will want to know about my previous salary and other information asides what my CV provides. I believe their aim is to know those that earn less or exactly the same shitty pay they want to offer. That way they won't bother to call those who stated their current salary above that or pegged their expected salary above what the company really shouldn't offer for that position.

Why not just tell us what the position offers even right from the vacancy advert? That will save a lot of people the ache of realising the nonsense they put jobseekers through.

lalasticlala Seun mynd44

1 Like

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by LifestyleTonite: 8:18am On Jan 27, 2017
Mackin:

U said it all. About the AC I hd twice exprnce and I caution dem but lucky enough I ws told dey intentionally do dat to knw maybe am physically fit. u can imagine

I wonder wat dey want to do wit Marital status and religion. maybe dey want to add to person wife or divorce the only one u hav and change u from one religion to another.

Intevw is about chatting,they read or memorize from script to intervw u and expect u to answers it to der satisfaction. wen is ur time to ask question dey ignore ur questions.your first question= dey refer u to der website. second question= so u expect me to answer dis or we don't hav the information @hand. Third question= we are running out of time

U will be schedule for intervw up to 4/5 times as if the position u apply for na CEO.the last schedule will be factory trial or inspection and make report.na deceit. knw valid position dey are just using ur ideas to achieve der goal.

They knw u are working till date and dey will never discuss it wit u during intervw period of your notification but some doz .They will offer u apportionment letter to start work wit immediate effect or very short notice but for der own, it's written in bracket 20 workin days must be giv as notification.

That was how I attended one interview where they had us writing test about how to improve the sales in a restaurant. At the end, I realised they had no intention of employing anyone but were just trying to get ideas from us. Really awful.

I once got a job with a Lebanese company that required I resumed immediately. When I got the offer letter, it was clearly stated that I can only resign when after giving them 6 months notice. So, if I get a well paying job with an oil firm, I'll have to turn it down or make them wait for 6 months before I resume, as if am the only employable person on earth.

Nigerians just know how to mess systems up. That's exactly what these foreign companies are now taking advantage of.

5 Likes

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by Mackin: 8:40am On Jan 27, 2017
LifestyleTonite:
That was how I attended one interview where they had us writing test about how to improve the sales in a restaurant. At the end, I realised they had no intention of employing anyone but were just trying to get ideas from us. Really awful.

I once got a job with a Lebanese company that required I resumed immediately. When I got the offer letter, it was clearly stated that I can only resign when after giving them 6 months notice. So, if I get a well paying job with an oil firm, I'll have to turn it down or make them wait for 6 months before I resume, as if am the only employable person on earth.

Nigerians just know how to mess systems up. That's exactly what these foreign companies are now taking advantage of.

my brother few to write more to say
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by geekybabe(f): 9:54am On Jan 27, 2017
Asking stupid irrelevant questions..like why do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

Or making you feel like they are doing you a favor by granting an interview. Its irritating. If you didnt feel i was competent, you would not invite me.

The focus really should be..can you get the job done? Unfortunately its a difficult issue for Nigerian Hr. In other places, HR pple have specialties for certain jobs and know what to ask for. An Hr that hires for an accounting role would not have to hire for a Tech role. unfortunately just very few companies can afford that luxury.

3 Likes

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by Nobody: 9:54am On Jan 27, 2017
Lol@ this :

When i am in some places,i am forced to speak with the manager most times.

I tell them there is a temperature for frozen chicken and meat, and there's a different one for humans.. They laugh and adjust it.. I wonder why we hate anything conventional and are quick to adopt anything alien.. Is setting the AC at maximum level the same as being in California ? When they can't get visas they use the AC to make themselves feel like they're in Europe mcheww.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 27, 2017
LifestyleTonite:

Heard of an interview that people were told to wear asuebi then dance axonto. U don't have to believe me but it's the truth. The next stage, they asked them to look for 3310 that wasn't in production anymore. According to them, they were looking for ways to get rid of people that were not patient.

2 Likes

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by cloudyskygrind(m): 9:58am On Jan 27, 2017
My question is, why do people pay for employment in Nigeria? You're looking for a job, you still have to pay the employer? This doesn't make sense

2 Likes

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by Nobody: 10:00am On Jan 27, 2017
I wrote exam with zenith bank,passed, did interview, scaled through,did medicals also but I have been waiting for letter all this while.and some of my colleagues have been given letter
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by BiafranBushBoy: 10:01am On Jan 27, 2017
geekybabe:
Asking stupid irrelevant questions..like why do you see yourself in the next 5 years?

Or making you feel like they are doing you a favor by grabting an interview.

I believe it is not a bad question.

If I want to hire... I go for those with ambitions!
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by Pavore9: 10:01am On Jan 27, 2017
The struggles of a job seeker!
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by geostrata(m): 10:02am On Jan 27, 2017
cheesy
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by GeoOla25(m): 10:02am On Jan 27, 2017
R.I.P. MMM
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by Healthybiz: 10:06am On Jan 27, 2017
smiley[center][/center]
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by nurez305(m): 10:09am On Jan 27, 2017
interview? I have stop that long time ago
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by dsocioemmy(m): 10:15am On Jan 27, 2017
Hahahahahhah. Op you just gave some other HR another tips to use again o
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by blank(f): 10:18am On Jan 27, 2017
dadaic:

Heard of an interview that people were told to wear asuebi then dance axonto. U don't have to believe me but it's the truth. The next stage, they asked them to look for 3310 that wasn't in production anymore. According to them, they were looking for ways to get rid of people that were not patient.

Definitely Sahara Group. Feeling like a different type of company but just empty.

1 Like

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by Histrings08(m): 10:22am On Jan 27, 2017
They make applying for a job to scare me like hell
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by ikorodureporta: 10:34am On Jan 27, 2017
grin business development executive.........wetin u dey expect before cheesy
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by wayisshut: 11:05am On Jan 27, 2017
dadaic:

SAHARA!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by drnoel: 11:31am On Jan 27, 2017
geekybabe:

Or making you feel like they are doing you a favor by granting an interview. Its irritating. If you didnt feel i was competent, you would not invite me.

The focus really should be..can you get the job done? Unfortunately its a difficult issue for Nigerian Hr. In other places, HR pple have specialties for certain jobs and know what to ask for. An Hr that hires for an accounting role would not have to hire for a Tech role. unfortunately just very few companies can afford that luxury.

A friend of mine was asked that question once and he irritatingly answered and I quote "I see myself being your boss". Ofcos he didn't get the job then. OMG, he walks into another interview 3 months latter and sees the same HR consultants sitting among the panel. My guy just carried his documents and left cos he knew he won't get it. Luck smiled on him a year later though.

4 Likes

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by crownbryan(m): 11:40am On Jan 27, 2017
HR been behaving as if they don't shit and have never been job seekers.

Op tell them, in fact, forward a memo to every HR in Nigeria.

Meanwhile, should-schools-expel-teenagers-who-get-pregnant; what-can-a-parent-do? join the discussion

http://www.allaboutschoolsng.com/discussion-forum/school-matters/2-should-schools-expel-teenagers-who-get-pregnant-what-can-a-parent-do
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by geekybabe(f): 11:42am On Jan 27, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:

I believe it is not a bad question.

If I want to hire... I go for those with ambitions!

Ok so i package myself and tell you all my fake crammed ambitions..and you believe me. And then 1 month on the job and I'm looking lost and confused.

1 Like

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by BiafranBushBoy: 11:44am On Jan 27, 2017
geekybabe:

Ok so i package myself and tell you all my fake crammed ambitions..and you believe me. And then 1 month on the job and I'm looking lost and confused.

After one month on the Job and you are looking confused.. and they get your ass fired. Who will lose?

Certainly not the employer. So you have all the choice to make!
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by nkemjacob2(m): 11:46am On Jan 27, 2017
there is no job in d country... its better to start ur own firm no matter how small it is....companies re making us of staff anyhow.... this is d time nigeria need mmm
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 27, 2017
that numb 3 almost made me to collapse in one interview like DT...just not good jare
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by YTderin(f): 12:46pm On Jan 27, 2017
That AC part is so true.... I think it's intentional. Then the countless interview stages, like they know it all.
Then giving me forms asking how much I currently earn,.... Why can't I see the offer letter first, and know if I like your offer or nah....
The list is endless.
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by palladin: 1:06pm On Jan 27, 2017
I attended one interview as a software developer with one company like that. I was asked to develop a mobile app in three hours. I did a perfect job in 2.5 hrs. The CEO was really impressed but when it was time to negotiate salary we didn't reach common grounds. So he said he inform me of his decision.
Two weeks after, i was promoted at my workplace. The CEO (of the company i applied with) contacted me about 5 days after my promotion to pickup his offer and I told him I had been given a promotion at work and wouldn't be able to work for his company again.

1 Like

Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by geekybabe(f): 1:33pm On Jan 27, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:

After one month on the Job and you are looking confused.. and they get your ass fired. Who will lose?

Certainly not the employer. So you have all the choice to make!

And then i move on to something else. And the company has to start d process all over. Laying off and recruiting within 2 months. Reduced productivity..wasted effort. .bad image for company if they keep laying off staff intermittently.

Things that could have been avoided if an HR did a responsible job from scratch. Fact is those silly HR questions are mostly asked entry level pple. If its an experienced hire, like say a managing role, do they ask this unnecessary questions??
Re: Things Nigerian HR's Need To Stop Doing by jchioma: 1:36pm On Jan 27, 2017
LifestyleTonite:

Written by Adewole Segun

Abeg, u too funny grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Got A Better Job Through Nairaland. / Hospitality Job For Housekeeper / Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.