Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,974 members, 7,806,831 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People (1125 Views)

Crazy Things That Religious People Believe - Add Yours / Joyce Meyer Defends Tattoos, Says She Might Get One To Make Religious People Mad / "Atheists Are Smarter Than Religious People"!!!---recent Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by akintom(m): 9:59am On Jan 27, 2017
SCIENCE/TECH

Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People

Aug 19, 2013 01:28 PMBy Matthew Mientka

A review of scientific studies finds that people who hold a more naturalistic view of the world are generally smarter than those who believe in god.

In an analysis of 63 studies conducted since 1928, a researcher at the University of Rochester found “a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity” in 53 of the studies. While 10 of the studies showed a positive correlation, only two of them showed a significant link.

Thirty-five of the studies, however, showed a significantly negative correlation between intelligence and religiosity, according to researcher Miron Zuckerman.

"Most extant explanations [of a negative relation] share one central theme —the premise that religious beliefs are irrational, not anchored in science, not testable and, therefore, unappealing to intelligent people who 'know better,’” Zuckerman wrote in a paper published this month.

Zuckerman and two other psychologists reviewing the literature defined intelligence as the “ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly, and learn experience.” Religiosity is defined by psychologists as participation in some facets of worship, which might range from passive attendance at weekly services to the sort of messianic fervor depicted in Robert Duvall’s 1997 film The Apostle.

Other factors such as sex or education made no difference in the correlation between intelligence and religiosity, although some variance was seen with age. The association of lower intelligence with religiousness was weakest among teenagers in the “pre-college population,” however.

Yet, a lifelong association between higher intelligence and atheism, or naturalistic worldview, remains constant in a continuing study — begun in 1928 — of 1,500 gifted children with intelligence quotients (IQs) over 135. Even in extreme old age and closer to death (and some would say God), these children remained steady in their beliefs, or non-belief.

The higher intelligence of non-believers was attributed by researchers to a greater propensity to seek education and higher employment, when available, thus assuming more personal control over their direction in life. "Intelligent people typically spend more time in school — a form of self-regulation that may yield long-term benefits," Zuckerman wrote. "More intelligent people get higher level jobs and better employment may lead to higher self-esteem, and encourage personal control beliefs."

Defenders of religious belief contend the psychologists define intelligence too narrowly as analytical ability, omitting such aptitudes as emotional and creative intelligence among other aspects of multiple intelligence theory — and certainly wisdom remains an ineffable quality, slipping just out of grasp.

Although many evangelical Americans might be surprised to learn of a more deist tradition among the Founding Fathers, the nation’s religious may cite at least one notable exception to the study’s conclusion: Albert Einstein.

Source: Zuckerman M. The Relationship Between Intelligence And Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis And Some Proposed Explanations. Personality And Social Psychology Review. 2013.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by SNOWCREAM(m): 10:06am On Jan 27, 2017
embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by jonbellion(m): 10:09am On Jan 27, 2017
This again undecided undecided undecided
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by tobillionaire(m): 10:10am On Jan 27, 2017
thread closed
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by johnydon22(m): 10:18am On Jan 27, 2017
There are two types of thinkers - intuitive thinkers and analytical thinkers - intuitive thinking deals more with emotional part of human thinking while analytical deals more with cold clear cut analysis rather than emotions.

Many atheist tend to be analytical thinkers but many still aren't.

Being an atheist doesn't make anyone more intelligent than others anymore than being theistic makes you less so.

Having an open receptive mind towards learning, curiosity and thirst to know is the key towards becoming better intellectually

10 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by akintom(m): 11:28am On Jan 27, 2017
johnydon22 post=:

Having an open receptive mind towards learning, curiosity and thirst to know is the key towards becoming better intellectually
All these characteristics are grossly lacking, in chronically religious minds. As far as the realistic perception of human existence is concerned.

Remember that in this study, the intelligence rating was assessed on specific domains. It's on this basis that rejection of the conclusion of this study can be based.
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by akintom(m): 11:30am On Jan 27, 2017
johnydon22:

Being an atheist doesn't make anyone more intelligent than others anymore than being theistic makes you less so.

Atheists are better adapted to life than theists. The ability to be rationally adapted to existence is founded on above average intelligence.

1 Like

Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by Niflheim(m): 2:19pm On Feb 08, 2017
For those who need more evidence that Atheists are far more intelligent than religious people...........................

Pay special attention to image number 3!!!

Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by GoodMuyis(m): 2:31pm On Feb 08, 2017
You missed what you posted your self
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by GoodMuyis(m): 2:41pm On Feb 08, 2017
akintom:

The higher intelligence of non-believers was attributed by researchers to a greater propensity to seek education and higher employment, when available, thus assuming more personal control over their direction in life. "Intelligent people typically spend more time in school — a form of self-regulation that may yield long-term benefits," Zuckerman wrote. "More intelligent people get higher level jobs and better employment may lead to higher self-esteem, and encourage personal control beliefs."

Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. - I Timothy 4:13

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth - II Timothy 2:15

Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men - Proverbs 22:29

I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation - Psalms 119:99

Human are not intelligent than each other but those who found and use the created element for human development are genius (goodmuyis 2017)
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by randomperson: 2:45pm On Feb 08, 2017
GoodMuyis:

Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. - I Timothy 4:13

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth - II Timothy 2:15

Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before kings; he shall not stand before mean men - Proverbs 22:29

I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation - Psalms 119:99

Human are not intelligent than each other but those who found and use the created element for human development are genius (goodmuyis 2017)
Scientific experiments have shown that on an average, atheists are more intelligent than theists... That's the fact, and nothing we can do about it. But these people are not intelligent because they are atheists, they are atheists because they are intelligent
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by akintom(m): 6:14pm On Feb 08, 2017
randomperson:

But these people are not intelligent because they are atheists, they are atheists because they are intelligent

This is golden line. I hope the apologists understand the depth of intelligent mind behind this beautiful thought.
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by GoodMuyis(m): 7:09am On Feb 09, 2017
randomperson:

Scientific experiments have shown that on an average, atheists are more intelligent than theists... That's the fact, and nothing we can do about it. But these people are not intelligent because they are atheists, they are atheists because they are intelligent

scientific proposition is not absolute, some are later being made incorrect.

Atheist being intelligent than their religious counterpart is a fallacy. Even Bible made it clear, that when you give yourself to studying you will be intelligent.

I think you guys (atheist) should realized that religion is a culture, a way of life, and their are different kind of its culture. what you practices doesn't make you intelligent, but rather what you study.

Here is my quote again?

Being intelligent is not about how many question you have answers to BUT how many problem you have solution to... Einstein was not tag genius because he uses google to answer questions, he solve problems
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by randomperson: 10:48am On Feb 09, 2017
GoodMuyis:

scientific proposition is not absolute, some are later being made incorrect.

Atheist being intelligent than their religious counterpart is a fallacy. Even Bible made it clear, that when you give yourself to studying you will be intelligent.

I think you guys (atheist) should realized that religion is a culture, a way of life, and their are different kind of its culture. what you practices doesn't make you intelligent, but rather what you study.

Here is my quote again?

Being intelligent is not about how many question you have answers to BUT how many problem you have solution to... Einstein was not tag genius because he uses google to answer questions, he solve problems
Hmmm, where do I start from?
Humans are more intelligent than each other. Intelligence is a human attribute. So if a person can be stronger, bolder, faster, quieter than another, why can't a person be more intelligent than another.
There is scientific proof that atheists are more intelligent than the religious. Your comment above does nothing to challenge that
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by akintom(m): 10:54am On Feb 09, 2017
randomperson:

Humans are more intelligent than each other. Intelligence is a human attribute. So if a person can be stronger, bolder, faster, quieter than another, why can't a person be more intelligent than another.
There is scientific proof that atheists are more intelligent than the religious. Your comment above does nothing to challenge that
Bro, just let this one be, he's on another plane.

The ways of the Christian apologists are religitidiot, religitard and delusionist.

These ways makes them oppose and reject evidence, with blind faith. Also they sacrifice logic on the altar of assumptions.
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by Nobody: 4:03pm On Feb 09, 2017
akintom:

SCIENCE/TECH

Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People

Aug 19, 2013 01:28 PMBy Matthew Mientka

A review of scientific studies finds that people who hold a more naturalistic view of the world are generally smarter than those who believe in god.

In an analysis of 63 studies conducted since 1928, a researcher at the University of Rochester found “a reliable negative relation between intelligence and religiosity” in 53 of the studies. While 10 of the studies showed a positive correlation, only two of them showed a significant link.

Thirty-five of the studies, however, showed a significantly negative correlation between intelligence and religiosity, according to researcher Miron Zuckerman.

"Most extant explanations [of a negative relation] share one central theme —the premise that religious beliefs are irrational, not anchored in science, not testable and, therefore, unappealing to intelligent people who 'know better,’” Zuckerman wrote in a paper published this month.

Zuckerman and two other psychologists reviewing the literature defined intelligence as the “ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly, and learn experience.” Religiosity is defined by psychologists as participation in some facets of worship, which might range from passive attendance at weekly services to the sort of messianic fervor depicted in Robert Duvall’s 1997 film The Apostle.

Other factors such as sex or education made no difference in the correlation between intelligence and religiosity, although some variance was seen with age. The association of lower intelligence with religiousness was weakest among teenagers in the “pre-college population,” however.

Yet, a lifelong association between higher intelligence and atheism, or naturalistic worldview, remains constant in a continuing study — begun in 1928 — of 1,500 gifted children with intelligence quotients (IQs) over 135. Even in extreme old age and closer to death (and some would say God), these children remained steady in their beliefs, or non-belief.

Defenders of religious belief contend the psychologists define intelligence too narrowly as analytical ability, omitting such aptitudes as emotional and creative intelligence among other aspects of multiple intelligence theory — and certainly wisdom remains an ineffable quality, slipping just out of grasp.

Although many evangelical Americans might be surprised to learn of a more deist tradition among the Founding Fathers, the nation’s religious may cite at least one notable exception to the study’s conclusion: Albert Einstein.

Source: Zuckerman M. The Relationship Between Intelligence And Religiosity: A Meta-Analysis And Some Proposed Explanations. Personality And Social Psychology Review. 2013.

The study was obviously carried out on christians. I think your headline should be "Atheists more intelligent than Religious Christians". Accuracy is essential. In any case, the whole study and its results are suspect.
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by randomperson: 4:06pm On Feb 09, 2017
Farmerforlife:

The study was obviously carried out on christians. I think your headline should be "Atheists more intelligent than Religious Christians". Accuracy is essential. In any case, the whole study and its results are suspect.
Why do you say so?
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by Nobody: 4:11pm On Feb 09, 2017
randomperson:

Why do you say so?

Because that is not how science works. There is no possible methodology to this kind of study that one cannot pick big holes in. The atheists themselves would not have accepted the study had a reverse result been obtained. Just shows that atheists have blind faith too, but only in their own designated 'prophets'.
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by randomperson: 6:20pm On Feb 09, 2017
Farmerforlife:

Because that is not how science works. There is no possible methodology to this kind of study that one cannot pick big holes in. The atheists themselves would not have accepted the study had a reverse result been obtained. Just shows that atheists have blind faith too, but only in their own designated 'prophets'.
I actually thought u wanted to critic the research based on methodology, parameters, sample size or some other actual ground for reasonable objection... But all I see is just unwillingness to accept the result because it's unfavorable to you
There are ways of measuring intelligence which though not perfect are consistent, reliable and practical... And there was a significant difference or distinction between the results of atheists and theists.
If u have another explanation for the difference between the results for the different groups, then let's hear it
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by akintom(m): 6:27pm On Feb 09, 2017
Farmerforlife:

No scientific work is 100% error proof. The reason we have error margin.

The basis on which an atheist, will reject a work is if such work, significantly exceed the acceptable error margin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by GoodMuyis(m): 7:20pm On Feb 09, 2017
randomperson:

OK do you also believed the scientific proof here
https://www.nairaland.com/3493419
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by Nobody: 7:35pm On Feb 15, 2017
randomperson:

I actually thought u wanted to critic the research based on methodology, parameters, sample size or some other actual ground for reasonable objection... But all I see is just unwillingness to accept the result because it's unfavorable to you
There are ways of measuring intelligence which though not perfect are consistent, reliable and practical... And there was a significant difference or distinction between the results of atheists and theists.
If u have another explanation for the difference between the results for the different groups, then let's hear it

Did you post the methodology, parameters, sample size, or other actual evidence? Was the study peer reviewed? Would you have accepted this particular study if it had shown the opposite, that religious people are more intelligent than atheists? Apply your objective mind to how you would have rejected it in that case, and merely look at it from that angle.

I notice that atheists throw out their self-vaunted objectivity and love for cutting evidence the moment that they see something that they really want to believe. The onus is on you to prove that the study is scientifically sound, because from what I read after a google search, it is just one of those a dozen a penny assertions. Let us have the full text of the research please.

1 Like

Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by akintom(m): 8:14pm On Feb 15, 2017
Farmerforlife:

Did you post the methodology, parameters, sample size, or other actual evidence? Was the study peer reviewed? Would you have accepted this particular study if it had shown the opposite, that religious people are more intelligent than atheists? Apply your objective mind to how you would have rejected it in that case, and merely look at it from that angle.

I notice that atheists throw out their self-vaunted objectivity and love for cutting evidence the moment that they see something that they really want to believe. The onus is on you to prove that the study is scientifically sound, because from what I read after a google search, it is just one of those a dozen a penny assertions. Let us have the full text of the research please.
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by akintom(m): 8:20pm On Feb 15, 2017
Farmerforlife:

Subjecting these studies to the stringent measures of the scientific works, will drag this debate to the analysis that will not be of any benefit to the audience.

But here's the thrust of the study;

Are the religious folks more INTELLIGENTLY adapted to life experiences than the atheists?
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by Nobody: 11:48am On Feb 16, 2017
akintom:

Subjecting these studies to the stringent measures of the scientific works, will drag this debate to the analysis that will not be of any benefit to the audience.

But here's the thrust of the study;

Are the religious folks more INTELLIGENTLY adapted to life experiences than the atheists?

Personally, I feel more balanced in my life on the whole than many atheists I have met. Were we to generalise, you will agree with me that any scientific research attempted on this topic would be totally meaningless. The factors that affect 'intelligence' are hardly understood, so attributing the supposed intelligence with lack of a belief in one studied religious sect out of thousands, is nonsense, not to talk of the fact that there are about a dozen different scientifically accepted types of intelligence, none of which was clearly defined in the 'study'. Of course, I understand that atheists do not accept any postiulation that is not backed by well-researched unassailably obtained, objective evidence... or so we theists are constantly being pointedly informed.
Re: Proved: Atheists More Intelligent Than Religious People by akintom(m): 6:43pm On Feb 16, 2017
Farmerforlife:

Personally, I feel more balanced in my life on the whole than many atheists I have met. .
this is subjective. And remember that i said the thrust of this discussion is on assessment of the rating of intelligence at play when atheists and theists approach life experiences.

Farmerforlife:

were we to generalise, you will agree with me that any scientific research attempted on this topic would be totally meaningless. .
Again, intelligence that borders on different specialized areas knowledge, is not in focus here.

The focus is rather about the intelligence (working sense), that is deployed when confronted with life experiences.

Farmerforlife:

The factors that affect 'intelligence' are hardly understood,

I will elect to say that they are multi-factorial, rather than "hardly understood".

(1) (Reply)

Christians: Have Men Really Given Back To You? / Mohammedans, Why ? / Christians Should Read This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.