Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,185 members, 7,780,290 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:47 AM

Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao (31180 Views)

Lady: 'I Had Sex With Mr. Ibu John Okafor, One Night Stand' / Lineo Didi Kilgrow Placed On Suicide Watch After Death Of Son / John Okafor's 55th Birthday Party (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by harbdulrasaq88(m): 12:14pm On Jan 28, 2017
Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao Estate Lagos

John Okafor aka Mr. Ibu is loved by many people because he puts smiles on their faces through his work. In a chat with Saturday Beats, the comic actor said that he would have taken his life since 1997 due to the hardship he faced in life.

He said that at that point in his life, things were so hard that he could barely afford to feed himself. To make matters worse, the actor said he had no roof over his head and suicide seemed like the easiest option.

“Do you know that there was a day that I had prepared to kill myself in Ajao Estate? That day, I was prepared to jump into a well because of the situation that surrounded me. Three days before that day, I had not eaten and I did not have hope of eating for the next week. I was only surviving on water and I hate it when I bother anyone. Most of my close friends were not bothered about my well-being even though it was obvious that I was not alright. I remember December 18, 1997, a friend of mine who I squatted with called me in the morning and told me that he would be going home for Christmas and he did not want anyone to be in his room. I assured him that no one would come to his place but he said he wanted me out of the room. I told him that I did not have another place to stay and he should trust me that as usual, I would take good care of the place. Though I was older than him, I did all the washing and cleaning of the house to the extent that I washed his panties and underwear. I did that so that I could have a roof over my head. But out of anger, that my friend went into the house, brought out all my things and threw them outside, then he told me to leave his house, he locked his door and left.

“From where I was seated, I was looking at the well. I thought to myself, ‘is it not better to end my life by jumping into the well so that when people return in the evening and they need water, they would discover my body and my friend would know that he was the reason I committed suicide?’ I went to the well and as I opened the lid and prepared to jump inside, the image of my mother’s face flashed through my mind. I quickly closed the well and began to wonder how my mother knew that I wanted to kill myself. My mother was still alive at the time; she was about 80 years old. I went back and leaned by the wall. A neighbour, Francis, was playing a song by Michael Bolton titled ‘When I am back on my Feet Again.’ The song gave me hope and I decided to stay alive,” he said.

Okafor said that after he had decided against killing himself, he needed to find somewhere to sleep and since he had no one to stay with; he opted to sleep under a lorry, a space where dogs used as their house.

He stayed there for a while till God sent a helper to him.

“I cleaned the place and was able to get some cartons which I used to do a tent. In the course of cleaning the place, I realised that it was dogs that used to sleep there at night but I had no choice. One night, about 30 dogs were barking so no one could sleep so I had to move my cartons to another location. While I was changing my bearing, I saw some people gathering. I hid my cartons, went close to the place and saw that it was a movie audition. I saw some of my friends there like Pete Edochie, and a friend called Sandra Ezeh. When Sandra saw me, she hugged me and said she was a big fan of my work especially my role in ‘Ikuku.’ She asked if I was doing anything and when I told her I wasn’t, she insisted that I accompany her to see her boyfriend. Since I had no job, I followed her; beside, all I needed then was food. I was so hungry at the time that it began to affect my eye sight. Sadly, her boyfriend had travelled so she said we should go to see another friend. We met the woman who owned a bar and when I asked for food, she said all she had was pepper soup and drinks. I told her to give me pepper soup and she was nice enough to tell them to give me two agidi with the pepper soup. After I ate the food, I fell into a deep sleep.

“When I woke up, I saw an address, 125 Adetola Street, then immediately, I remembered that a friend had called me asking me to stay in his house because he was travelling to Germany and that was the address. Immediately I crossed the street and went to the house. When I got into the house, my friend, Frank, just got in from London. He was so happy to see me that he hugged me and we both fell to the ground. He then said that no matter where I was staying, I had to move into his house. We went to pick my load from where I put it. Frank asked why my load was outside and I lied to him that I was preparing to travel. That was how he gave me a room in his flat. I prayed to God thanking him for saving me. He started taking me out and buying me clothes. It was from there I got my footing,” he said.

https://www.punchng.com/mother-saved-committing-suicide-mr-ibu/amp/?client=ms-android-tecno

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by jimoceans14(m): 12:24pm On Jan 28, 2017
And at d end no one knows ur friends name,u also skipped it for us cos it is irrelevant now......hustle hard guys,better days are coming. grin

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by Nutase: 12:44pm On Jan 28, 2017
Stories that touch the heart shocked

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jan 28, 2017
there is hope. The only thing needed is to take calculated risk check my signature.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by miqos02(m): 1:06pm On Jan 28, 2017
yea
Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by pauljumbo: 1:06pm On Jan 28, 2017
home trouble

1 Like

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by sylviaeo(f): 1:06pm On Jan 28, 2017
Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by Nobody: 1:07pm On Jan 28, 2017
Everybody got their story...Everybody!

Even the dull and the ignorant..

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by Araoluwa005(m): 1:07pm On Jan 28, 2017
thanks God for your life. I hope you were not as big as this then because.......
Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by Hentan24(m): 1:07pm On Jan 28, 2017
Consistency is the key

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by ajasbaba(m): 1:07pm On Jan 28, 2017
story story,
Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by cobadit(m): 1:09pm On Jan 28, 2017
I get my own story to tell soon as well.... #watchout

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by slimzypink(f): 1:09pm On Jan 28, 2017
the amount of people who ve committed suicide in this Buhari era i can't explain

6 Likes

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by CaroLyner(f): 1:09pm On Jan 28, 2017
They say that your darkest hour comes before your dawn

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by crazyABO(m): 1:10pm On Jan 28, 2017
Doesn't matter up or ur situation now,wah matters most is d future. Keep d anger till when u don't make it in future. The FUTURE will tell cool

2 Likes

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by misterchris(m): 1:10pm On Jan 28, 2017
Excuse me I beg your pardon.Oga this your story no dey add up. But who am I to take an action.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by sylviaeo(f): 1:11pm On Jan 28, 2017
Your God no dey sleep
Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by Plus234(m): 1:11pm On Jan 28, 2017
but by 1996 he appear and acted the movie title IKUKU with Osufia and zack orji, he should stop lying to us

5 Likes

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by aragon4realz(m): 1:11pm On Jan 28, 2017
people have potentials no matter there situation,respect man and respect God
while watch how a guy with one arm and one leg was bitten up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9kQ1n2nJ-E
Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by dpete1: 1:11pm On Jan 28, 2017
Thank God you didn't...that would have been how your glory would have gone down the drain

1 Like

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by Benjom(m): 1:12pm On Jan 28, 2017
Wooow... What a life changing story. Hope is indeed a vital force in the school of success.
Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by noirsangre(m): 1:12pm On Jan 28, 2017
This is so inspiring. You'd never know that such an actor has such a deep, impactful story to share. God my number ends with 98. Pick naaa.

3 Likes

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by meezynetwork(m): 1:13pm On Jan 28, 2017
His time came and he is now a known personality. Where is that his wicked friend now? Probably still in his one room accommodation.

4 Likes

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by dpete1: 1:13pm On Jan 28, 2017
slimzypink:
the amount of people who ve committed suicide in this Buhari era i can't explain
Sister,you be literate nah...shey 1997 nah buhari era

7 Likes

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by Pasidon(m): 1:14pm On Jan 28, 2017
In osuofia's words.. Suffer head now get family... Guess that his friend might not be half the man he is today... So touching a story.. Think I learnt something from it

1 Like

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 28, 2017
If I tell you my story, who you go tell. Some of us don see 99 e remain 1.
They Dnt know ow it was,they only know ow it is and they judge your present saying different things....how him take buy that car,how he take build,how she take do this and how him take do that....
God punish dem fada left blokos!

3 Likes

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by enesty77(m): 1:14pm On Jan 28, 2017
Just imagine how nolliwood would be like without you...
#SAYNOTOSUICIDE

1 Like

Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by oatzeal(m): 1:14pm On Jan 28, 2017
WATCH: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao

[img]https://2.bp..com/-zZpLQfom_Sk/WIyO_nX6jaI/AAAAAAAAYBM/fjIf4IP6YUI8D0oR0je2_nV1i0NtgrEXgCLcB/s640/cats.jpg[/img]
Re: Mr Ibu John Okafor On Suicide Battle: How I Almost Jumped Into A Well In Ajao by Davland(m): 1:14pm On Jan 28, 2017
inspiring

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Tiwa Savage Poses With Her MTV Ema 2018 Award / Legend Group Up For Eviction - Ike Saved Omashola,Replaces Him With Cindy / P-square With Dangote And Mrs Folorunsho Alakija (Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.