Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:54 AM

What Does Yoruba Or Other African Cultures Say About Hitting An Adult? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Does Yoruba Or Other African Cultures Say About Hitting An Adult? (780 Views)

Another Version Of Oduduwa As In Most African Cultures / Progressive African Cultures / The 10 Most Expensive Cultures/tribes In Nigeria To Marry From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does Yoruba Or Other African Cultures Say About Hitting An Adult? by essohjay1(m): 5:04pm On Jan 28, 2017
There is a saying that 'give respect to whom it is due' also, there is one which says 'respect is reciprocal'.
This is from an experience I had few hours ago and although, I don't feel bad about it, I will just like to read views from Nairalanders who knows much about African cultures.

I and a neighbour(Mr A) took it upon ourselves, for sometime now, to coordinate the collection of electricity bill before being paid. This is because I really hate living in a place with disconnected electricity supply, this may be accrued to the fact that I see occupants of such a place as irresponsible. Earlier today, despite that most of my neighbours had paid their dues, there is this old man and very young mistress that has always been hell bent on making our(myself and Mr A) efforts fruitless. NB:- The old man never wants to pay and get involved in anything being done in the house. I had to go to him because the official we pay to was around and the old man was the only occupant with electricity bill debt that was around. He paid #300 and on reminding him of his outstanding debt of #500 from last year he insisted on not paying and he with the help of his mistress succeeded in getting a #200 change from the #500 he paid. He turned around to leave only for him to turn back to me and start shouting that he isn't my mate and he doesn't like the way I do address him. I said he was the cause and if he had respected himself and paid the meagre amounts we always asked him to pay without hassles,we won't be where we are now. The next thing I saw and felt was a slap to my face from this old man which I replied immediately, he repeated same again and I replied also. Mr A and other neighbours intervened and I was advised to take a stroll to cool off which I did. Planned on getting the old man and his mistress arrested but was told to let the matter fly by other neighbours. As I earlier stated, I don't feel bad for hitting the old man back but I just wish to know what African cultures say about such actions.
NB also, I seized to greet the man and mistress a long time ago since I got to know the kind of people they are,the man is Yoruba and mistress from Warri.....watchasay
Re: What Does Yoruba Or Other African Cultures Say About Hitting An Adult? by OPCNAIRALAND: 5:54pm On Jan 28, 2017
In Yoruba custom Elders are by "default" in position of honour. I emphasize default as a weight of the cultural value!

There can be exceptions to the rule.

An elder must uphold the virtue and reverence attached to age and guard at all times against actions, words and even thoughts that could demean and violate his/her honourable position in society. An elder that fails to recognize this or let the guard down has no recourse in customary rules.

1 Like

Re: What Does Yoruba Or Other African Cultures Say About Hitting An Adult? by essohjay1(m): 6:34pm On Jan 28, 2017
OPCNAIRALAND:
In Yoruba custom Elders are by "default" in position of honour. I emphasize default as a weight of the cultural value!

There can be exceptions to the rule.

An elder must uphold the virtue and reverence attached to age and guard at all times against actions, words and even thoughts that could demean and violate his/her honourable position in society. An elder that fails to recognize this or let the guard down has no recourse in customary rules.

Thanks so much for this. I guess I wasn't out of line by replying both slaps he landed me.
Would have also gotten him arrested, but for the sake of his mistress in her pregnant state, I was begged not to take legal action against him.
Re: What Does Yoruba Or Other African Cultures Say About Hitting An Adult? by matrixme(m): 7:18pm On Jan 28, 2017
What tribe are you from? You shouldn't feel justified hitting an elderly person for any reason. You better go and apologize and make good neighbor.
Re: What Does Yoruba Or Other African Cultures Say About Hitting An Adult? by Nobody: 7:24pm On Jan 28, 2017
For the Kalenjin, everybody gets a beating. Old men and women, parents. A friend on mine told me it's honourable for their elders yo be beaten by any metallic object in case of any fights. It's only shameful if you use something like a stick to beat your elder. But it's a cattle raiding community. Those ones tend to be tough and violent.

For other tribes I know, you can't even raise your voice at an elder. It's an automatic curse shocked
Re: What Does Yoruba Or Other African Cultures Say About Hitting An Adult? by scholes0(m): 8:50pm On Jan 28, 2017
Muafrika2:
For the Kalenjin, everybody gets a beating. Old men and women, parents. A friend on mine told me it's honourable for their elders yo be beaten by any metallic object in case of any fights. It's only shameful if you use something like a stick to beat your elder. But it's a cattle raiding community. Those ones tend to be tough and violent.

For other tribes I know, you can't even raise your voice at an elder. It's an automatic curse shocked

Hhahahaha.
Are you Kalenjin?
Re: What Does Yoruba Or Other African Cultures Say About Hitting An Adult? by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jan 28, 2017
scholes0:

Hhahahaha.
Are you Kalenjin?

I live amongst them. Though my community is neighbouring, such things are unheard of. You hit your parents and the whole village will be whispering about it till you die.
Re: What Does Yoruba Or Other African Cultures Say About Hitting An Adult? by essohjay1(m): 10:59pm On Jan 28, 2017
matrixme:
What tribe are you from? You shouldn't feel justified hitting an elderly person for any reason. You better go and apologize and make good neighbor.

I am Yoruba and I really don't see anything bad in retaliating against an elder that has lost his/her mind.......I better apologize else what
Re: What Does Yoruba Or Other African Cultures Say About Hitting An Adult? by essohjay1(m): 11:03pm On Jan 28, 2017
Muafrika2:

I live amongst them. Though my community is neighbouring, such things are unheard of. You hit your parents and the whole village will be whispering about it till you die.

This really cracked me up......

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Lagoon Is Hungry Needs More Sacrifice - Ifa Priest / Tf? Indians Worship Calf Born With Human Facial Features / Igbo Or Yoruba Jollof Rice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.