Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,127 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:21 AM

Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? (6804 Views)

Is Abortion Morally Permissible? / Seun, Finally I Want To Give You An Undeniable Proof of God's Existence. / What's Your Best Or Favourite Name For God? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by iliyande(m): 5:44am On Jan 29, 2017
If you ask most people what you have to do to get into heaven (assuming they believe in heaven or an afterlife), the overwhelming response will be some form of “being a good person.” Most, if not all, religions and worldly philosophies are ethically based. Whether it’s Islam, Judaism, or secular humanism, the teaching is common that getting to heaven is a matter of being a good person—following the Ten Commandments

Living a life that pleases God should be the goal of every Christian, but what can we possibly do to make God happy? One of the most common responses would be "to be a morally good person." Sadly, however, being a moral person isn't enough to put a smile on God's face.

A story in the Bible best illustrates this problem for us. A young rich ruler approaches Jesus in search for a criteria list for people qualified for Heaven (Matthew 19:16–26). The man asks Jesus, "Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?" (Matthew 19:16) As early as the first question, Jesus already saw the error in the man's thinking.

Today's church is mostly populated by people that act as if their way to heaven, to God's blessing and God's favour is to follow rules, be generous, serve in the ministry, or get involved in missions. At some point, many of us may have had that mindsets. It's just in our nature to try to earn God's approval through our good works.

Sadly, even our best is not good enough for God. That's because we are all sinners unworthy even of God's grace and presence. Romans 3:10 reminds us, "as it is written: 'None is righteous, no, not one.'"

That said, no matter how moral we would try to be, we would nowhere be close to the level that God requires for His pleasure. He wants complete perfection, holiness and blamelessness. No one makes the cut.

No one except one man: Jesus Christ. The Son of God came down to become man and live the life we are to live and in the end traded His righteousness for our sinfulness. He took our imperfection and inability to be good and exchanged it with His goodness.

The only way we can be pure is also the simplest way. There's no need to work for God's favour. As Ephesians 2:8 tells us, "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God."

So how then can we please God if not through moral living? Hebrews 11:6 says it best: "And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him."

Faith leads us to believe in Christ and that His work was more than enough for us. It causes us to humbly admit that we cannot earn God's favour and cannot please God on our own. But God's pleasure is in seeing Christ through us as we believe that His work was more than enough to make us right before God. God is delighted not in what we can do for Him, but in seeing us gladly and openly receive what He has already done for us.

Salvation is not based on our goodness but on Jesus’ goodness. If we confess with our mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in our hearts that God raised him from the dead, we will be saved (Romans 10:9). This salvation in Christ is a precious gift, and, like all true gifts, it is unearned (Romans 6:23b; Ephesians 2:8–9). The message of the gospel is that we can never be good enough to get to heaven. We must recognize that we are sinners who fall short of God’s glory, and we must obey the command to repent of our sins and place our faith and trust in Jesus Christ. Christ alone was good enough to earn heaven, and He gives His righteousness to those who believe in His name (Romans 1:17).

Lalasticlala

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by kolaitan(m): 6:06am On Jan 29, 2017
We can speak in tongues and miss heaven.
We can "win souls" and miss heaven.
We can see vision and miss heaven.
We can prophesy and still miss heaven.
We can cast out devil and miss heaven.
We can perform miracles and still miss heaven.
We can read the whole Bible and miss heaven.
We can attend all church services, fellowship activities and camp meetings and miss heaven.
We can have anointing and miss heaven.
We can have all spiritual gifts and miss heaven.
We can be rich, prosperous and wealthy and still miss heaven.
We can give and sow seeds and still miss heaven.
We can wield power and be influential and still miss heaven.
We can have a powerful voice to sing and miss heaven.
But we cannot LIVE A HOLY LIFE and miss heaven.
HOLINESS IS THE REAL DEAL!

"Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the LORD your God." (Leviticus 20:7)

"O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth." (Psalm 96:9)
Happy Sunday

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by abuaoyen(f): 5:03pm On Jan 29, 2017
Your morally good behaviour and your believe will go a long way

1 Like

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by TeleboiZ005(m): 5:03pm On Jan 29, 2017
In two sentences..pls someone shud help me and summarize evrytin!...thanks in advance grin

The poster below me,u can help as well. thanksgrin

Can u c me
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by miqos02(m): 5:03pm On Jan 29, 2017
hmm
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by TeleboiZ005(m): 5:04pm On Jan 29, 2017
abuaoyen:
G
Wheris wrong wit u 4 godsake

i was almost dia!!!
jos small tin remain i 4 be ftc!...nne jidekwa onwe gi o...

1 Like

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by Kaxmytex(m): 5:05pm On Jan 29, 2017
Observing....
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by abuaoyen(f): 5:08pm On Jan 29, 2017
TeleboiZ005:
Wheris wrong wit u 4 godsake

i was almost dia!!!

jos small tin remain i 4 be ftc!...nne jidekwa onwe gi o...
mm... Sorry maybe next time
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by ogawisdom(m): 5:09pm On Jan 29, 2017
iliyande:
If you ask most people what you have to do to get into heaven (assuming they believe in heaven or an afterlife), the overwhelming response will be some form of “being a good person.” Most, if not all, religions and worldly philosophies are ethically based. Whether it’s Islam, Judaism, or secular humanism, the teaching is common that getting to heaven is a matter of being a good person—following the Ten Commandments

Living a life that pleases God should be the goal of every Christian, but what can we possibly do to make God happy? One of the most common responses would be "to be a morally good person." Sadly, however, being a moral person isn't enough to put a smile on God's face.

A story in the Bible best illustrates this problem for us. A young rich ruler approaches Jesus in search for a criteria list for people qualified for Heaven (Matthew 19:16–26). The man asks Jesus, "Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?" (Matthew 19:16) As early as the first question, Jesus already saw the error in the man's thinking.

Today's church is mostly populated by people that act as if their way to heaven, to God's blessing and God's favour is to follow rules, be generous, serve in the ministry, or get involved in missions. At some point, many of us may have had that mindsets. It's just in our nature to try to earn God's approval through our good works.

Sadly, even our best is not good enough for God. That's because we are all sinners unworthy even of God's grace and presence. Romans 3:10 reminds us, "as it is written: 'None is righteous, no, not one.'"

That said, no matter how moral we would try to be, we would nowhere be close to the level that God requires for His pleasure. He wants complete perfection, holiness and blamelessness. No one makes the cut.

No one except one man: Jesus Christ. The Son of God came down to become man and live the life we are to live and in the end traded His righteousness for our sinfulness. He took our imperfection and inability to be good and exchanged it with His goodness.

The only way we can be pure is also the simplest way. There's no need to work for God's favour. As Ephesians 2:8 tells us, "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God."

So how then can we please God if not through moral living? Hebrews 11:6 says it best: "And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him."

Faith leads us to believe in Christ and that His work was more than enough for us. It causes us to humbly admit that we cannot earn God's favour and cannot please God on our own. But God's pleasure is in seeing Christ through us as we believe that His work was more than enough to make us right before God. God is delighted not in what we can do for Him, but in seeing us gladly and openly receive what He has already done for us.

Salvation is not based on our goodness but on Jesus’ goodness. If we confess with our mouth that Jesus is Lord, and believe in our hearts that God raised him from the dead, we will be saved (Romans 10:9). This salvation in Christ is a precious gift, and, like all true gifts, it is unearned (Romans 6:23b; Ephesians 2:8–9). The message of the gospel is that we can never be good enough to get to heaven. We must recognize that we are sinners who fall short of God’s glory, and we must obey the command to repent of our sins and place our faith and trust in Jesus Christ. Christ alone was good enough to earn heaven, and He gives His righteousness to those who believe in His name (Romans 1:17).

Lalasticlala

U must accept Jesus as ur personal Lord and Savior

1 Like

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by Wiseandtrue(f): 5:09pm On Jan 29, 2017
OP the word moral means holding or manifesting high principles for proper conduct.
So inheriting this traits is good but being moral and in Christ is the best.

How can you claim heaven if you do not show good morals to your fellow human Then how can you love God with immortality

2 Likes

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by Thinkerspool: 5:12pm On Jan 29, 2017
Just be good to yourself and other creatures, God is not manufacturer of religion. We created it for ourselves!!!

However, maybe you reside in Lagos and you think it is a good idea that you join a great book club. https://www.nairaland.com/3599739/register-member-thinkerspool-book-club#53237586
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by SonofHim: 5:14pm On Jan 29, 2017
God bless you so much iliyande for this explicit exposition. I was blessed. I pray that God gives us understanding and helps the Church to fully grasp the doctrine of righteousness.

1 Like

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by chrisviral(m): 5:14pm On Jan 29, 2017
God doesn't expect you to be morally good, Because you're not even responsible for your own actions.
Ever heard of causa Sui" that nothing can cause itself except God which many Christian philosophers believe. It opines that no man is responsible for being who he is, therefor no man is responsible for his own actions whether good or evil.

My ability to be morally good depends on the nature of the person that I am, that which I can no control over.

But people change and make themselves better you might argue, but my ability to change or make myself better depends on the nature of the kind of person that I am in the first place to accept change.

Again determinism also agrees to this fact. Funny enough many Christian believes in external will (demon, God and other things out there)
If you do believe that external factors that an individual has no control over (God changes the heart of a king like the course of a river is one example) is possible, therefore then I give you that there is no free will, and the absence of free will then exempts any human from been responsible for their actions.

Whether morally good or evil, it's not your responsibility and God doesn't care.

Argue with me otherwise and you're simply saying God doesn't exist. grin cheesy (not my own words o)
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by tonyx4x44(m): 5:20pm On Jan 29, 2017
you must do this... you must do that

How do you know... the bible said so... bullocks!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by iliyande(m): 5:26pm On Jan 29, 2017
SonofHim:
God bless you so much iliyande for this explicit exposition. I was blessed. I pray that God gives us understanding and helps the Church to fully grasp the doctrine of righteousness.

Thanks and may Almighty be with us all
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jan 29, 2017
Short version?

No, it is not
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by hopefulLandlord: 5:32pm On Jan 29, 2017
space

oh! I'm not needed here
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by hopefulLandlord: 5:32pm On Jan 29, 2017
another space
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by babakb: 5:38pm On Jan 29, 2017
Islam is the only way to salvation, islam teaches you genuine Faith, relationship between Good deeds and Grace. in the Book of John, jesus prophesised coming of the comforter (Muhammad S. A. W) after him, the comforter indeed came and delivered ALLAH'S message (the Our'an) and only in it will you find all the truth, for example ALLAH is the creator and cherisher of everything and everyone so when HE intends to forgive, HE forgives, no need for anyone to be crucified, repent, accept Islam before its too late.
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by jomboliski(m): 5:44pm On Jan 29, 2017
babakb:
Islam is the only way to salvation, islam teaches you genuine Faith, relationship between Good deeds and Grace. in the Book of John, jesus prophesised coming of the comforter (Muhammad S. A. W) after him, the comforter indeed came and delivered ALLAH'S message (the Our'an) and only in it will you find all the truth, for example ALLAH is the creator and cherisher of everything and everyone so when HE intends to forgive, HE forgives, no need for anyone to be crucified, repent, accept Islam before its too late.
JESUS IS THE WAY FORWARD
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by omojeesu(m): 5:44pm On Jan 29, 2017
kolaitan:
We can speak in tongues and miss heaven.
We can "win souls" and miss heaven.
We can see vision and miss heaven.
We can prophesy and still miss heaven.
We can cast out devil and miss heaven.
We can perform miracles and still miss heaven.
We can read the whole Bible and miss heaven.
We can attend all church services, fellowship activities and camp meetings and miss heaven.
We can have anointing and miss heaven.
We can have all spiritual gifts and miss heaven.
We can be rich, prosperous and wealthy and still miss heaven.
We can give and sow seeds and still miss heaven.
We can wield power and be influential and still miss heaven.
We can have a powerful voice to sing and miss heaven.
But we cannot LIVE A HOLY LIFE and miss heaven.
HOLINESS IS THE REAL DEAL!

"Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the LORD your God." (Leviticus 20:7)

"O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: fear before him, all the earth." (Psalm 96:9)
Happy Sunday

You can't be holy until you love from the heart God, neighbour and enemies, real and perceived.

Love will constrain you not to sin against God and hurt men. This way you are automatically walking in holiness.
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by Lex11(m): 5:51pm On Jan 29, 2017
While morality is a good thing, and should be encouraged and practiced... for the good of man/woman, a simple answer to your question is NO!

"But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, Have taken us away." - Isaiah 64:6

But thank God for His mercies and the Self sacrifice He (Jesus Christ) made to ensure that many are good enough... in His holy name.

"Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved." - Acts 4:12

To "tonyx4x44" - the Holy Bible did/does not sanction anyone or group of people to be inhumane to one another with regard to servitude... some will attempt to excuse inhumanity with virtually anything!

Peace and blessings!

2 Likes

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by bezimo(m): 5:54pm On Jan 29, 2017
ONLY Jesus saves

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved." - Acts 4:12
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by Malakh: 5:57pm On Jan 29, 2017
billions are gonna be thrown in that lake of fire because being "good" or righteous is different from being obedient...this is why Hamashiac said many will say unto me haven't we done this work in your name and He will reply them by saying get away from you for I never knew you, so being nice will not give you salvation, going to church on Sunday, paying tithe, being a philanderer will not give you salvation.
Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by Hurlstarling: 6:00pm On Jan 29, 2017
Good work is all God requires which is equivalent of morals.

1 Like

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by musicwriter(m): 6:08pm On Jan 29, 2017
iliyande:

Lalasticlala

This is why religion is evil. You actually believe you can commit any crime you like; and that as long as you believe in Jesus your crimes are justified?

Let me tell you; Paul was an anti-Christ and certainly contradict the message of Jesus that insists you must make a u-turn (repent of your sins) to be acceptable to God.

1 Like

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by Darwinthegreat(m): 6:09pm On Jan 29, 2017
Different religion claiming their ways are the only way to enjoy the afterlife. And people are wondering why i'm agnostic.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by Mouthgag: 6:12pm On Jan 29, 2017
iliyande:

That said, no matter how moral we would try to be, we would nowhere be close to the level that God requires for His pleasure. He wants complete perfection, holiness and blamelessness. No one makes the cut.[s]

No one except one man: Jesus Christ. The Son of God came down to become man and live the life we are to live and in the end traded His righteousness for our sinfulness. He took our imperfection and inability to be good and exchanged it with His goodness.[/s]

Lalasticlala
You have made sense until I saw the stupîd lines in your post. I don't blame you though because it your faith.. But think of these, DOES IT LOGICALLY MAKE ANY SENSE? That the ALMIGHTY GOD needs to come as a human to this life? The he needs to sacrifice himself for us to be free? That he needs a blood sacrifice of his only "son" just for him to forgive us our sins? HOW RIDICULOUS!

BACK TO THE TOPIC ;

That should be the case because NO RELIGION IS PERFECT.

But in life, nobody can be fair enough. cry

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by Pataricatering(f): 6:22pm On Jan 29, 2017
Basically, 5 billion people are not pleasing God? but even if you fry new born babies and eat them as long as you confess that jesus is lord you will be going straight to heaven.
That's why despite how religious we are our country is so messed up - we steal , cheat , lie, embezzled public funds ! As long as we believe in christ we are OK!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by danthamccoy(m): 7:07pm On Jan 29, 2017
Pataricatering:
Basically, 5 billion people are not pleasing God? but even if you fry new born babies and eat them as long as you confess that jesus is lord you will be going straight to heaven.
That's why despite how religious we are our country is so messed up - we steal , cheat , lie, embezzled public funds ! As long as we believe in christ we are OK!
This is why I'll never understand that doctrine. So all you need is to believe in God and grace covers all your sin? Doesn't matter what you do from then on? I think it's Satanic.

2 Likes

Re: Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God? by iliyande(m): 7:28pm On Jan 29, 2017
Pataricatering:

Watch out, I will respond to your question in next article..

Meanwhile, how can anyone who calls himself a lover of Jesus knowingly continue in sin? As followers of Christ, we claim to be delivered from sin's power. We testify that the cross has fully redeemed us from the bondage of iniquity. Yet multitudes of believers today continue to cling to lusts, habits, grudges, bitterness.

Paul asks, "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" (Romans 6:1-2). Paul wonders, "We have received such incredible blessings in Christ. We have been baptized in him, buried and resurrected with him, conformed to the likeness of his death. So, how can we continue to sin?"

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Your Best Bible Story? / Born Catholic, Raised Catholic And Die Catholic. / What Is Your Most Memorable Christmas Celebration Since You Were Born?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.