Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,034 members, 7,803,477 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:35 PM

Bad Habits Christians Should Drop - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Bad Habits Christians Should Drop (20795 Views)

5 Reasons Christians Should Share Testimonies In Church - Tunde Korede / 10 Things Christians Should Avoid In Church For Their Own Good. / 6 Bad Habits Christians Have To Drop With Immediate Effect (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Nobody: 6:48am On Jan 29, 2017
Christians are known for doing some good things: helping the poor, feeding the hungry, caring for the sick, uplifting the downtrodden, fighting for justice and many other feats of love.
But Christians also own a poor reputation for numerous bad habits. Here are six things we must stop doing

BEING JUDGEMENTAL

One of the few sins Jesus repeatedly warns His followers not to do is be judgmental.
Despite this, many Christians mistakenly assume that withholding judgment is a form of accepting, condoning and even affirming sin. But judgment from Christians doesn’t determine whether a particular belief, action or lifestyle is either wrong or righteous in the eyes of God.

PREDICTING THE FUTURE

The Gospel message of Christ’s love is often overshadowed by misguided Christians who make predictions and “prophecies” about political affairs, planetary alignments, environmental phenomena, current events, natural disasters, the Antichrist, End Times and the Apocalypse.

POSTING GARBAGE ON SOCIAL MEDIA

The clickbait links, offensive political memes, self-righteous condemnations of others, bitter theological rants, and out-of-context Bible excerpts cause more harm than good.
Posting vitriolic, superficial, and offensive content on our Facebook feeds and Twitter accounts doesn’t glorify God. Before posting anything, stop and think: “Is this true, helpful, inspiring, necessary and kind?”

BEING HYPOCRITICAL

It’s easy to talk about God, argue theological issues and post about faith issues on all sorts of communication platforms. But in order to follow Christ, we are required to actually put our words into actions. As the old adage goes, we must practice what we preach.Unfortunately, too many Christians talk about Christ’s love without actually being loving. Meanwhile, the rest of world witnesses this obvious contradiction and simply stops listening.

OVERCOMPLICATING THE LOVE OF JESUS

There comes a point, unfortunately, in the Christian journey when many start to feel bored, unfulfilled and dissatisfied with the unglamorous task of loving others.
It’s very hard work to follow Jesus. It requires sacrifice, humility, service, patience, forgiveness and lots of love. It can be tempting—and much easier—to focus on specific parts of the Bible that don’t require as much endurance, are more flashy, will draw more attention and will instill a greater sense of excitement.
So some of us create a “Christian” platform that becomes our passion. A political agenda, social cause, moral practice or specific theological belief can become central to our faith—overtaking Jesus’ command to love others as yourself. Thus, we get people who will practically fight to the death over things such as Calvinism, infant baptism and various other causes and doctrines. In and of themselves these things aren’t necessarily bad—everyone has their own convictions about theological issues—but when things are prioritized above Christ’s love, it leads to idolization.

BEING CLOSEMINDED

The problems listed above are often caused by being closed-minded not considering, acknowledging or even dialoguing with the infinite amount of diverse factors that exist beyond our own limited experiences.

HAPPY SUNDAY ALL.
Lalasticlala, mynd44.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by pressplay411(m): 6:52am On Jan 29, 2017
In short, you're saying they should stop being Christians.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Soljaboi44(m): 6:55am On Jan 29, 2017
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by amnesty7: 6:59am On Jan 29, 2017
And stop being deceived by most fake men of God who only dupe them.

5 Likes

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by hemartins(m): 7:34am On Jan 29, 2017
The worst of them all are :
BEING HYPOCRITICAL and BEING JUDGEMENTAL
Alot of Christian are hypocrites. They don't practice what they preach while others are always quick to condemnation.

May God help us to abide by His words. Amen

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Barmmyshoes(f): 7:36am On Jan 29, 2017
Nice one.

|| MY NAME IS MARIAM || AM A FEMALE SHOEMAKER || ''CLICK HERE TO CHECK MY FOOTWEAR DESIGNS''

1 Like

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by pafestula(m): 7:40am On Jan 29, 2017
You forgot to advise Christian to quit Masturbation on the list.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by GuDErboY(m): 7:41am On Jan 29, 2017
You are permitted to share with your church members please:

LATENESS TO CHURCH
--------------------------------
Ever since I was born, I have not seen many people arrived late to the airport when the person is travelling. In fact, when the plane is taking off at 11:00pm, the person will be at the airport by 7:00pm, wow! That's how much people value travelling overseas. But on a Sunday morning when Church has long begun that's when you see men and women with 'swag' gliding like pregnant serpents to Church, they know they are late, but because they have a new armani suit on and the latest michael kors bag, they want everyone to see it. Church starts at 7:00 or 8:00am, but people will come at 10:00am, why? They think praise and worship is for the uncivilized. Just take the test to call them on Monday at 5:30am, you'll realise they are already on their way to work and some will be there already.

Know this today, anytime you go to Church one minute late, you have NOT attended Church at all. There is a register of God, where angels record the name of those who come on time, and you'll be surprised that in Heaven they will tell you, you never attended Church. If Christ is saying 'where two or three are gathered, I'm in their midst', you think He comes late?
The time you give is the time He keeps.
What does it mean to arrive late to Church
1) Disrespect to Christ
2) Betrayal of Christ
3) Disregard to the Church and the Pastor
4) Interruption of an eternal Program

Now consider all these, and tell me they have not sin. Remember, Eternity's Flight is not a flight taking you to overseas, it's a flight taking you to Heaven. Don't miss it!

There are a lot of people who are, planning to go to Church late this coming Sunday. Let this message hit them. God bless!

Most of us are guilty of this! Let's make a change of attitude, starting from this sunday!

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by ednut1(m): 7:41am On Jan 29, 2017
hmmm

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by axeman2(m): 7:42am On Jan 29, 2017
BEING JUDGEMENTAL WHAT MAKE THAT A BAD HABIT WHEN THE BIBLE SAY'S WHEN YOU SEE YOUR BROTHER GOING THE WRONG WAY YOU SHOULD REBUKE THE PERSON PUBLICLY IS THAT WHAT U MEAN BY BEING JUDGEMENTAL MR WRITTER?
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by ITbomb(m): 7:44am On Jan 29, 2017
Stop worshiping your pastor or GO, they are not greater than Apostle Paul that got his ministry directly from Christ yet he made tent along with the brethren to support his stay with them

4 Likes

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by ikes9(m): 7:44am On Jan 29, 2017
Most Christians are very quick to judge,the time and energy yhu use to judge the other person can be used to PRAY for that other person,pray that he/she sees the light and realises that what they are doing is wrong and REPENT
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by frubben(m): 7:47am On Jan 29, 2017
Hypocrite is now their core goal. Whether dem dey learn am na God know.

Chia!!! Many believers in Nigeria are big hypocrites

3 Likes

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by hopefulLandlord: 7:49am On Jan 29, 2017
OP said

BEING CLOSEMINDED
The problems listed above are often caused by being closed-minded not considering, acknowledging or even dialoguing with the infinite amount of diverse factors that exist beyond our own limited experiences.

Hahahahahahahahaha that would lead you to atheism

infact, closemindedness aka blind faith is the only thing keeping religion alive

try reading the bible with open mindedness

You don't even have to leave the "Garden of Even" to demonstrate that the people who concocted these tales (in the words of Lily Munster) "goofed it."

Even if you got past the two contradictory creation myths of Genesis 1 and 2, how do you reconcile having an omniscient god asking questions? Not once. Not twice. Three times (Genesis 3:9, 11 and 13).

And an omniscient god lying while the serpent (literally demonized in many Christian interpretations) tells the truth.

Herod killing all children when Jesus was born whereas Herod was dead years before Jesus was born

The Bible is completely accurate, except for this part, and that one, and this one too, and few stories that folks should know are only allegories, oh and that part over there, but the rest of it is true---mostly, somewhat.

The Bible is the only book that people believe proves itself simply because the book say so but a closer look shows it infact disproves itself

The Christian canon has internal contradictions and historical implausibilities so grievous that the canon has little or no credibility. Arguably true. The conclusion then is that there is no God. But this is a leap. The valid conclusion is that the Yahweh/Christ divinity is not credible and so does not exist.

We need more atheists, and nothing will get you there faster than a thorough open-minded reading of the Bible.

PLEASE BE CLOSED-MINDED IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN A CHRISTIAN

DON'T MIND THE OP

5 Likes

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Nobody: 7:52am On Jan 29, 2017
Op I would have said I give you 2 bottles of moet for this good post but this is Sunday so I give you 5 different versions of the bible grin

Op you are so on point! kiss
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by ayindejimmy(m): 7:53am On Jan 29, 2017
These tips would have been more valid, helpful and thus meaningful if the op had backed them up with Bible verses.

I was going to share it and credit the source. But that would mean I endorsed it

But I, only follow and endorse Bible principles. Any other principle is a counterfeit

2 Likes

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Endtimesmith(m): 7:54am On Jan 29, 2017
They should also stop Bachelors/Spinsters service,it creates room for speedy lust completely.
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by QuietHammer(m): 7:56am On Jan 29, 2017
Happy Sunday

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by sirfee(m): 7:59am On Jan 29, 2017
They should stop worshipping their pastors and stop spreading heresy.
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by chuose2: 8:00am On Jan 29, 2017
Churches are just for raising money these days.
Adeboye is good at manipulating people to give him money.

Adeboye is so bad that he even takes money from widows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8zZWvvaEaY

1 Like

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by carzola(m): 8:02am On Jan 29, 2017
I wish religion can be replaced with
Weed.
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Nobody: 8:02am On Jan 29, 2017
ItsQuinn:
Op I would have said I give you 2 bottles of moet for this good post but this is Sunday so I give you 5 different versions of the bible grin

Op you are so on point! kiss

Lolz.. thank you.

1 Like

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by CecyAdrian(f): 8:12am On Jan 29, 2017
axeman2:
BEING JUDGEMENTAL WHAT MAKE THAT A BAD HABIT WHEN THE BIBLE SAY'S WHEN YOU SEE YOUR BROTHER GOING THE WRONG WAY YOU SHOULD REBUKE THE PERSON PUBLICLY IS THAT WHAT U MEAN BY BEING JUDGEMENTAL MR WRITTER?

Before I engage you further, look for a dictionary, check the meaning of Rebuke and one being Judgemental then come back and correct yourself.

Note: you don't have to write all in capital letters, it's called shouting and no one is fighting with you here.

1 Like

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Kizyte(m): 8:15am On Jan 29, 2017
X
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by axeman2(m): 8:18am On Jan 29, 2017
[quote author=GuDErboY post=53224689]You are permitted to share with your church members please:

LATENESS TO CHURCH
Ever since I was born, I have not seen many people arrived late to the airport when the person is travelling. In fact, when the plane is taking off at 11:00pm, the person will be at the airport by 7:00pm, wow! That's how much people value travelling overseas. But on a Sunday morning when Church has long begun that's when you see men and women with 'swag' gliding like pregnant serpents to Church, they know they are late, but because they have a new armani suit on and the latest michael kors bag, they want everyone to see it. Church starts at 7:00 or 8:00am, but people will come at 10:00am, why? They think praise and worship is for the uncivilized. Just take the test to call them on Monday at 5:30am, you'll realise they are already on their way to work and some will be there alreadY.

Know this today, ARE U ONE OF THE ANGELS?,
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by lekbel09(m): 8:18am On Jan 29, 2017
Pls guys the time of coming of our lord Jesus christ is so near,repent for the kingdom of God is at hand I would like you all reading this message to accept Jesus into your hearts.The truth is I used to be an atheist before God rescued my soul. Psalm14vs1 says the fool has said in his heart that there is no God. The bible says in 2nd peter3:3-8 that there will come in the last days scoffers walking after their lust and saying that when will jesus come. That since all this years he hasn't come. Pls repent because he will come unannounced,and as for the true believers let us remain steadfast in faith always asking God to have grace on us.Happy sunday

1 Like

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by micxwell(m): 8:23am On Jan 29, 2017
pressplay411:
In short, you're saying they should stop being Christians.
No, the OP only pointed out the bad habits of Christians. Until you understand that you are not perfect and that you're saved by grace, one will continue with those habits listed above.

1 Like

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 29, 2017
Like someone said back it up with scriptures else you are OYO(On Your Own).
BTW judging is wrong so is hypocrisy!!

1 Like

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by axeman2(m): 8:27am On Jan 29, 2017
CecyAdrian:

Before I engage you further, look for a dictionary, check the meaning of Rebuke and one being Judgemental then come back and correct yourself.

Note: you don't have to write all in capital letters, it's called shouting and no one is fighting with you here.
I KNOW BUT PEOPLE LIKE DON'T TAKE CORRECTION. WHEN SOMEONE REBUKE YOU YOU GET OFFENDED THAT THE PERSON IS JUDGING YOU 21st CENTURY CRISTIAN ARE INCORRIGEBLE.
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by abdulaz: 8:30am On Jan 29, 2017
GuDErboY:
You are permitted to share with your church members please:

LATENESS TO CHURCH
Ever since I was born, I have not seen many people arrived late to the airport when the person is travelling. In fact, when the plane is taking off at 11:00pm, the person will be at the airport by 7:00pm, wow! That's how much people value travelling overseas. But on a Sunday morning when Church has long begun that's when you see men and women with 'swag' gliding like pregnant serpents to Church, they know they are late, but because they have a new armani suit on and the latest michael kors bag, they want everyone to see it. Church starts at 7:00 or 8:00am, but people will come at 10:00am, why? They think praise and worship is for the uncivilized. Just take the test to call them on Monday[color=#990000][/color] at 5:30am, you'll realise they are already on their way to work and some will be there already.

Know this today, anytime you go to Church one minute late, you have NOT attended Church at all. There is a register of God, where angels record the name of those who come on time, and you'll be surprised that in Heaven they will tell you, you never attended Church. If Christ is saying 'where two or three are gathered, I'm in their midst', you think He comes late?
The time you give is the time He keeps.
What does it mean to arrive late to Church
1) Disrespect to Christ
2) Betrayal of Christ
3) Disregard to the Church and the Pastor
4) Interruption of an eternal Program

Now consider all these, and tell me they have not sin. Remember, Eternity's Flight is not a flight taking you to overseas, it's a flight taking you to Heaven. Don't miss it!

There are a lot of people who are, planning to go to Church late this coming Sunday. Let this message hit them. God bless!

Most of us are guilty of this! Let's make a change of attitude, starting from this sunday!
Another judgemental fellow spotted. Allow Your proclaimed omnipotent and omnipresent god to be the judge.
Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by pressplay411(m): 8:39am On Jan 29, 2017
micxwell:

No, the OP only pointed out the bad habits of Christians. Until you understand that you are not perfect and that you're saved by grace, one will continue with those habits listed above.

The afore listed are inevitable in Christendom.

- Being judgmental- Once you declare a person a sinner, you've judged them. How then can you convert them without first judging them?

-Predicting the Future- Every prophet in the bible did this so it's very christian.

-Posting garbage on SM- Is it not part of evangelism?

-Being hypocritical- Christians are also struggling, not perfect, often times they'll fall short so it's human not to practise what you preach.

-Oveecomplicating love of jesus- nothing to add here

-Being Closed minded- This is a defense mechanism. Even the bible recommends this.

This is sarcasm in case you missed it.

3 Likes

Re: Bad Habits Christians Should Drop by Wilgrea7(m): 8:43am On Jan 29, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
OP said

Hahahahahahahahaha that would lead you to atheism

infact, closemindedness aka blind faith is the only thing keeping religion alive

try reading the bible with open mindedness

You don't even have to leave the "Garden of Even" to demonstrate that the people who concocted these tales (in the words of Lily Munster) "goofed it."

you didn't seem to understand what he said.. reading the bible with an open mind and being open minded to other opinions are two different things.. being open minded to other beliefs doesn't mean you must discard yours.. I'm open minded to other beliefs but I'm still a Christian.. some beliefs do make sense... being open minded to an atheist doesn't really yield anything.. cuz the only contribution you guys give here on nl is just to attack beliefs and not to teach your view..

Even if you got past the two contradictory creation myths of Genesis 1 and 2, how do you reconcile having an omniscient god asking questions? Not once. Not twice. Three times (Genesis 3:9, 11 and 13).

And an omniscient god lying while the serpent (literally demonized in many Christian interpretations) tells the truth.

Herod killing all children when Jesus was born whereas Herod was dead years before Jesus was born

The Bible is completely accurate, except for this part, and that one, and this one too, and few stories that folks should know are only allegories, oh and that part over there, but the rest of it is true---mostly, somewhat.

The Bible is the only book that people believe proves itself simply because the book say so but a closer look shows it infact disproves itself

The Christian canon has internal contradictions and historical implausibilities so grievous that the canon has little or no credibility. Arguably true. The conclusion then is that there is no God. But this is a leap. The valid conclusion is that the Yahweh/Christ divinity is not credible and so does not exist.

We need more atheists, and nothing will get you there faster than a thorough open-minded reading of the Bible.

PLEASE BE CLOSED-MINDED IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN A CHRISTIAN

DON'T MIND THE OP

not all Christians are interested in using the bible to narrate stories of the past... i would've said more... but for the sake of fundamentalists.. i will hold my peace

(1) (2) (Reply)

Killings In Nigeria: Paul Enenche Speaks Again, Calls For Self-defense / What You Must Know/do Before You Get Married As A Christian Lady / OPM Builds 15th Free School In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.