Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,888 members, 7,802,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:44 PM

The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria (5317 Views)

25 Most Popular Igbo Masquerades (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Johnnyessence(m): 11:36am On Jan 29, 2017
1. The Hausa: They belong to the very large ethnic group in Nigeria. Apart from the States of Sokoto, Kano and Kaduna where they formed the largest concentrations of groups, they are also found in almost every state in northern Nigeria. Culturally, they are homogenous but ethnically they are not. Hausa is the language most widely spoken in Nigeria. In fact, the term Hausa is a linguistic term. The Hausa believed that Daura is their spiritual centre where they evolved political consciousness. This is in reference to the emergence of the Hausa city states otherwise called “Hausa Bakwai”. These city states and the so-called Benza Bakwai states were never brought together as a political unit the Fulani conquest of the early nineteenth century. They are agriculturalists and they are known for the practice of traditional irrigation and engage in the trade of cattle and kolanut between the north and the south. Two of their states, Kano and Katsina, became important centers of commercial activity. The Fulani also live in hausaland into which they have migrated many years back. They settled among the Hausa and subsequently conquered their hosts in what is called the Fulani jihad led by Usman Dan Fodio. There are two main types of Fulani. They are the Cattle Fulani and Town Fulani. The Cattle Fulani migrates with his cattle in search of water and pasture especially in the dry periods. He rarely marries outside his tribe; hence he has been able to maintain his cultural identity. The town Fulani lives in the large northern cities as administrator or cultivator with large herds of cattle put under the care of their bororoje (nomadic) counterparts. In Nigeria, they are found mostly in Sokoto state. In the north-eastern corner of Nigeria around Lake Chad are the Kanuri. They are known to have been greatly influenced by the Arabs from North Africa. They are Muslims like the Hausa but the religion had been well established in Borno, their political and religious principal town, before the Fulani Jihad of 1804. The people of the Forest Belt: The forest zone of Nigeria was inhabited by groups of people whose origins date to a very distant past. According to Udo, most of them form the oldest surviving groups in Nigeria. This area has for long provided security for refuge cultures. The groups of people in this zone can be divided into two: the centralized societies of the Yoruba and Edo speaking groups and the Ibibio stateless or de- centralized societies of the Igbo, Ekoi and Ibibio peoples.
2. The Yoruba: The Yoruba claim some socio- political unity which they express in the oduduwa myth in relation to the creation of the world at Ile-Ife. However, the Yoruba never formed a single political state because at least sixteen independent Yoruba kingdoms can be easily identified Oyo became the most powerful of them. With Alaafin as head and Oyo-Ile or Katunga as capital, the state extends to the coast of modern republic of Benin and shares boundaries with the old Benin Empire. The Yoruba are linguistically homogenous and are concentrated in Oyo, Ekiti, Ondo, Osun, Ogun, Lagos and Kogi states. Certain rulers were, however, recognized throughout the Yoruba country, the most important of them being the Ooni of Ife regarded as the spiritual father and ruler of the Yoruba and the Alaafin of Oyo regarded as the political leader of the people. This is because of its large scale political structures represented by such towns as Ibadan, Ogbomosho, Oshogbo, Abeokuta, Ilorin, Ado-Ekiti, Ilesha, Ede, Akure, Owo, Ondo and Ijebu-Ode. Edo : The Edo speaking people lie to the east of the Yoruba and the west of the Igbo. They established a powerful state known as the Benin Empire. Close traditional links exist between them and the Yoruba. They also have similar political cultures and ruled by an “Oba”. Benin City is their historical headquarter. Their kingdom was one of the first in Nigeria to be opened to external influence when the Portuguese established contact with Benin in the fifteenth century.
3. The Igbo: They are found in the present day Imo, Anambra, Enugu, Abia and Ebonyi states. Like the Ibibio, they are divided into several sub-groups with whom they inhabit east of the lower Niger valley. The Igbo and Ibibio were never organized into any large political units, what they had was the village group made up of only a few thousand people. By implication, they had no titled rulers in the pre-colonial times unlike the Yoruba and Edo. Like the Yoruba, however, they are culturally homogenous but unlike the Yoruba or Edo, they do not have a common tradition of origin and in addition their history of origin is not as certain as that of the Yoruba. Due to the lack of titled rulers among these people, political decisions are taken at village meetings where all people were free to talk.
4. People of Niger-Delta Region: By the peoples of the Delta region, we refer to the delta kingdoms of bonny, Elem Kalabari, Okrika, Nembe, Andani, Ogoni, Ndoki, Ahua, Odual, Ogbia and Engonni. Most of these people have similar political, social and economic institutions. Also in this region are the Urhobo, Ijo and Itshekiri kingdom of Warri. Not all the states in this region were categorized. Rather there was a mixture of centralized and non-centralized states with a number of different forms of political organization. Their political structure was known as “City-States” i.e. political units cantered on a town to which outlying settlements and villages looked for protection and for trade. The people in this region were well adapted to their environment which was dominated by the saltwater swamps of the Niger-Delta.
Source:www.pressnewsng.com.ng/2017/01/the-four-most-popular-ethnic-group-in.html?m=1
Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Radiohead6(f): 11:43am On Jan 29, 2017
kalabari,- For having the most Sensual of names
Jack Briggs
Authur Pedro
lulu Briggs
Angel Cookeygam
Alexander Darnley
Osborne Green bob-Manuel
These are few famous people from the Kalabari Tribe
They were colonised by the Portuguese as opposed to Britain to Nigeria , And have 80percent literacy rate.
they are found in south south Rivers State
Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Johnnyessence(m): 11:50am On Jan 29, 2017
Radiohead6:
kalabari,- For having the most Sensual of names
really can you please convince me more hmmmm.
Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Radiohead6(f): 12:03pm On Jan 29, 2017
Johnnyessence:
really can you please convince me more hmmmm.
just did
Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by DonCortino: 12:08pm On Jan 29, 2017
Igbos are found also in rivers, delta parts of benue, kogi and akwa ibom!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Radiohead6(f): 12:10pm On Jan 29, 2017
DonCortino:
but are not Abourigenes to these places

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by RedboneSmith(m): 1:09pm On Jan 29, 2017
Radiohead6:

They were colonised by the Portuguese as opposed to Britain to Nigeria

The Portuguese colonised Kalabari and the British colonised the rest of Nigeria. Waawu! Your history teacher try oh!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Probz(m): 2:17pm On Jan 29, 2017
Radiohead6:
but are not Abourigenes to these places

They actually are.
Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Igboid: 2:28pm On Jan 29, 2017
In what planet is Yoruba more popular than Ndiigbo.
Piece of garbage article.
OP needs a mini mental examination.

6 Likes

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Igboid: 2:29pm On Jan 29, 2017
DonCortino:
Cross River too.

1 Like

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Probz(m): 2:31pm On Jan 29, 2017
Igboid:
In what planet is Yoruba more popular than Ndiigbo.
Piece of garbage article.
OP needs a mini mental examination.
According to the official census of Nigeria. I'm not saying it's true or it isn't but you can't blame the OP.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Igboid: 2:34pm On Jan 29, 2017
Probz:

According to the official census of Nigeria. I'm not saying it's true or it isn't but you can't blame the OP.

No official census of Nigeria said such.
Nigeria never included ethnicity in its Population parameters.
The Info is a Yoruba propaganda that had been allowed to go on unchallenged overtime, and before time started taking the form of fact in the minds of the unexposed

I questioned and debunked that propaganda here:
https://www.nairaland.com/3400415/1931-population-figures-nigerian-ethnic

1 Like

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Probz(m): 2:42pm On Jan 29, 2017
Igboid:

The Info is a Yoruba propaganda that had been allowed to go on unchallenged overtime, and before time started taking the form of fact in the minds of the unexposed

I'm not saying I don't agree. I just don't think the OP has an Oduduwa agenda and I song think s/he had that in mind when s/he started this thread.

The one about Hausa is the one that dey vex me. We all know that Fulanis and other non-native Hausa speakers are lumped in with Hausa to give them a numerical boost. Outside politics, they're the most useless and least influential tribe in Nigeria. Only good that's ever come from them na suya and kilishi.

1 Like

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Igboid: 2:45pm On Jan 29, 2017
Probz:

I'm not saying I don't agree. I just don't think the OP has an Oduduwa agenda and I song think s/he had that in mind when s/he started this thread.

Ok. Good. Then it's only apt that he/she be flogged with the cane of facts and figures by exposed Igbo sons here.

This is the ICT age.

2 Likes

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by babyfaceafrica: 6:50pm On Jan 29, 2017
Igboid:

Ok. Good. Then it's only apt that he/she be flogged with the cane of facts and figures by exposed Igbo sons here.

This is the ICT age.
see as you carry tribe matter for head like gala!!!!...who tribe EPP?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Johnnyessence(m): 4:49am On Feb 01, 2017
Radiohead6:
just did
am not convince here at all.
Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Johnnyessence(m): 5:15am On Feb 01, 2017
Igboid:

Igboid always amaze me with his reply here. so so funny.abeg which yoruba propaganda hmmm.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Johnnyessence(m): 6:08am On Feb 01, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
see as you carry tribe matter for head like gala!!!!...who tribe EPP?
that's igboid for u. na to carry small things for head as if na him create am.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:39am On Feb 01, 2017
Probz:

The one about Hausa is the one that dey vex me. We all know that Fulanis and other non-native Hausa speakers are lumped in with Hausa to give them a numerical boost. Outside politics, they're the most useless and least influential tribe in Nigeria. Only good that's ever come from them na suya and kilishi.

First of all, politics is the only influence that matters.

Subsequently, assuming you're igbo, whats the point of being influential if the only influence you have is negative? Igbos arent known for the little victories they inflate and brag about, around the world nigerians are frowned upon as criminals and crooks. No one meets a nigerian in any foreign country and thinks good about him immediately. This is all your fault, its your doing. You are known for drug dealing, fraud and every other form of lowlife activities. And you go about beating your chest like the gorillas you are about how great you are just shut the f--k up!

You are unpatriotic, arrogant, foolish, myopic and single handedly ruined this country. I yearn for the day somebody will chase you monkeys back to your forests and give you your independence, lets see how long you will last before you implode. Apologies to the very few intelligent and humble igbos, but most of you lot are repulsive and truly ignorant.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Radiohead6(f): 8:53am On Feb 01, 2017
Johnnyessence:
am not convince here at all.
if you would be SL kind enough , here is a link about them on nairaland
https://www.nairaland.com/2210023/intersting-facts-kalabari-ijaws-rivers
Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Probz(m): 9:52am On Feb 01, 2017
VomeSchakleton:

Subsequently, assuming you're igbo, whats the point of being influential if the only influence you have is negative? Igbos arent known for the little victories they inflate and brag about, around the world nigerians are frowned upon as criminals and crooks. No one meets a nigerian in any foreign country and thinks good about him immediately. This is all your fault, its your doing. You are known for drug dealing, fraud and every other form of lowlife activities. And you go about beating your chest like the gorillas you are about how great you are just shut the f--k up!

You are unpatriotic, arrogant, foolish, myopic and single handedly ruined this country. I yearn for the day somebody will chase you monkeys back to your forests and give you your independence, lets see how long you will last before you implode. Apologies to the very few intelligent and humble igbos, but most of you lot are repulsive and truly ignorant.

Being Igbo or not Igbo is nothing to do with it. I'm just a typical southerner looking down on northern politics and society.
Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:58am On Feb 01, 2017
Probz:

Being Igbo or not Igbo is nothing to do with it. I'm just a typical southerner looking down on northern politics and society.

But it does small fry.

Thats your problem, we all have flaws but you look down on others and feign superiority over them when in truth you are just as shoddy as they are if not more.

Typical is an interesting choice of word which i believe perfectly applies to your condition.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Probz(m): 10:11am On Feb 01, 2017
Ersan:

But it does small fry.

Thats your problem, we all have flaws but you look down on others and feign superiority over them when in truth you are just as shoddy as they are if not more.

Typical is an interesting choice of word which i believe perfectly applies to your condition.

Who asked you to comment?
Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:43am On Feb 01, 2017
Probz:

Who asked you to comment?

Who asked you to reply me in the first place. Thank the idiott mod who keeps banning me for your confusion.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by babyfaceafrica: 11:02am On Feb 01, 2017
Johnnyessence:
that's igboid for u. na to carry small things for Head as if na him create am.
lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Igboid: 3:44pm On Feb 01, 2017
VomeSchakleton:

The pathetic ranting of a regular Yoruba man.

1 Like

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by scholes0(m): 4:52pm On Feb 01, 2017
lol.... these people search for Yoruba in every single paragraph they read.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Johnnyessence(m): 8:05pm On Feb 01, 2017
Radiohead6:
if you would be SL kind enough , here is a link about them on nairaland
https://www.nairaland.com/2210023/intersting-facts-kalabari-ijaws-rivers
hmmmmm I will check it and analyse my views here.
Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Johnnyessence(m): 8:10pm On Feb 01, 2017
scholes0:
lol.... these people search for Yoruba in every single paragraph they read.
abi ooo that's what's is paining me most. Instead of them to analyze it well they are just busy fighting themselves.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Johnnyessence(m): 8:11pm On Feb 01, 2017
Igboid:

The pathetic ranting of a regular Yoruba man.
hmmmm always fighting yoruba people. Na waoooo.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Johnnyessence(m): 8:13pm On Feb 01, 2017
Ersan:

Who asked you to reply me in the first place. Thank the idiott mod who keeps banning me for your confusion.
the mod keep banning me because of your vulgar words.
Re: The Four Most Popular Ethnic Group In Nigeria by Johnnyessence(m): 8:15pm On Feb 01, 2017
Ersan:

But it does small fry.

hmmmm bashing comment. Take it easy nah.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photo: The Abobaku, Man To Be Buried Alive With The Late Ooni / Names Of Animals In Ebira Language :D / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Southern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.