Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,123 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project (9620 Views)

World Bank Approves $2.1bn Loan For Seven Projects In Nigeria / Buhari Completes 12 Stations Of The Abuja Light Rail Project (Pictures) / Lagos-ibadan Rail Line Poised To Create More Than 500,000 Jobs - VP Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by Truth234(m): 7:47am On Jan 30, 2017
About a week after the Federal Government announced the release of N72bn as its counterpart fund for the construction of the Lagos-Ibadan standard gauge rail line, the Export-Import Bank of China has approved $1.275bn (about N408bn) loan for the project on behalf of the Chinese government.

While Nigeria is to bear 15 per cent of the cost of the project, China will shoulder 85 per cent for the first phase fast rail that will eventually terminate in Kano.

The Managing Director, Nigerian Railway Corporation, Mr. Fidet Okheria, said on Sunday that with the approval of the funds by the Chinese Exim bank, all was set for the commencement of the construction of the modern rail line from Lagos to Ibadan.

“The Exim bank of China has now approved the loan and the next stage is for the Minister of Finance to sign it to signal the beginning of the project,” he said.

He, however, told our correspondent that the final signing by the Chinese government for the project to commence could only come after two weeks when the country’s new year holiday would have been over.

The Minister of Transportation, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, had last Monday said the Federal Government decided to release the N72bn as its counterpart funds in full was to ensure that there would be no delay in the implementation of the project.

“On the construction of Lagos-Ibadan railway line, the Minister of Finance has been kind enough to release the counterpart funding in full. I think in the history of Nigeria, this is the first time that we are releasing counterpart funds in full so that there will be no delay,” he had said.

The contract was awarded to the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation last year by the Federal Government and both parties had signed an agreement to that effect.

The new Lagos-Ibadan rail, spanning 156.65 kilometres, is a double line, which is the first phase of the new Lagos-Kano standard gauge line.

The contract for the 2,733km new Lagos-Kano rail was first awarded by the former President Olusegun Obasanjo administration in 2006 at a cost of $8.3bn to the CCECC, but could not be executed due to paucity of funds.

It was rewarded to the same contractor by the President Goodluck Jonathan administration in 2012 for execution in six phases, starting with the Lagos-Ibadan stretch.

It was learnt that the new rail line would be built on the corridor of the existing narrow gauge Lagos-Kano rail line and but it would accommodate only modern locomotives and other rolling stock meant for standard gauge rail for faster movement.

http://investorsking.com/china-exim-bank-approves-n408bn-for-lagos-ibadan-rail-project/

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by Boleyndynasty2(f): 7:58am On Jan 30, 2017
Lemme book space 1st.

Is it just from Lagos to ibadan that costs N552bn?Someone should explain this to me.
Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by Nobody: 8:01am On Jan 30, 2017
Rail koh rail ni
Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by veekid(m): 8:01am On Jan 30, 2017

who no know go know

1 Like

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by maximunimpact(m): 8:01am On Jan 30, 2017
china the next world economic power

13 Likes

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by helinues: 8:01am On Jan 30, 2017
good move
Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by kings09(m): 8:01am On Jan 30, 2017
All diz loans wit sweet conditions...The day wen China will hold its debtors by d jurgular is coming...

1 Like

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by BBPIA(m): 8:01am On Jan 30, 2017
This kind of development is what SW APC block should concern themselves with. We are not interested in their useless horse trading, form a common front for regional development and bury your penchant for unproductive power play.

Good one from federal government

And, what time frame do we have for the completion of this project?

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by Nobody: 8:02am On Jan 30, 2017
Complete the lagos to badagry first then talk about another #stopabadoning project Apc

1 Like

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by orlabass(m): 8:02am On Jan 30, 2017
I hear
Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by fasmukol: 8:03am On Jan 30, 2017
Good one. May God help this admistration to execute all the good projects they planned for the country.

7 Likes

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by Oba22: 8:03am On Jan 30, 2017
Sign of a good thing if achieved.

6 Likes

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by TeamSimple(m): 8:03am On Jan 30, 2017
No bank in the world will have problem giving out loan to the south west.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by emmabest2000(m): 8:04am On Jan 30, 2017
Hope it's not scam as usual

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by jayriginal: 8:04am On Jan 30, 2017
They need to move fast.

Shouldn't we also be informed as to how long it will take to complete?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by garrydon: 8:04am On Jan 30, 2017
gatti23:
Rail koh rail ni
Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by jerryile(m): 8:05am On Jan 30, 2017
I will only talk when this fast n better rail line is completed and let's compare it to the one done by the hero of democracy that was even completed by the present administration.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by Boleyndynasty2(f): 8:05am On Jan 30, 2017
TeamSimple:
No bank in the world will have problem giving out loan to the south west.
And why is that?
Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by flyca: 8:06am On Jan 30, 2017
If Nigerians know how inflated these projects are, they will weep for our lost future embarassed

Hello. Please I need ideas on how I can reach your state governor.

My company here in China can build wind turbine generators 75m high generate 50MW of Electricity with just N2bn (non inflated, not in dollars, in naira) through renewable wind energy. It is also costumizable to suit individual needs.

Renewable Energy is reliable, green, clean, does not require fueling and zero-emmission. [s]And if you don't understand 50MW can power Anambra and Enugu States, 247! I'm serious.[/s]

At the moment, we have projects in India, Spain, South America etc. And I will like to take some projects home too.

I'm a Nigerian, not affliated to any government or political party. I am tired of the way things are done! No body send me o, I'm just doing my part, in building the nation.

Modified: No jokes, please. Only serious minded people. And no, our smallest set is 50MW. Thanks.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by AngelicBeing: 8:06am On Jan 30, 2017
cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by leobrownish(m): 8:06am On Jan 30, 2017
mtcheew! borrow until we become debtors to the whole country.... we go soon borrow from Benin republic
Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by Nobody: 8:09am On Jan 30, 2017
Hmmm, dear China, what we would we do without you?
Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by diportivo: 8:12am On Jan 30, 2017
gatti23:
Complete the lagos to badagry first then talk about another #stopabadoning project Apc

Wetin concern fg with state project?

If lasg needs loan to finish d badagry rail then they shld apply for it

12 Likes

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by BizBayo: 8:12am On Jan 30, 2017
Nice one

1 Like

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by Kingsley1000(m): 8:14am On Jan 30, 2017
china developing africa more than the west

1 Like

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by walemoney007(m): 8:15am On Jan 30, 2017
bravo

3 Likes

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by rusher14: 8:23am On Jan 30, 2017
Brilliant.
Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by hermosa7: 8:23am On Jan 30, 2017
gatti23:
Rail koh rail ni

Some people can be so negative. Must you criticize everything?

angry

3 Likes

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by thecavemanesq(m): 8:23am On Jan 30, 2017
The contract for the 2,733km new Lagos-Kano rail was first awarded by the former President Olusegun Obasanjo administration in 2006 at a cost of[b] $8.3bn to the CCECC[/b], but could not be executed due to paucity of funds - are you now saying that the government of President Obasanjo was broke.

It was rewarded to the same contractor by the President Goodluck Jonathan administration What has been done about it since then? in 2012 for execution in six phases, starting with the Lagos-Ibadan stretch. (Bear in mind that this Government was the richest in the last 10 years)
[/i]

It's like ALL these Governments (Under the PDP) are using the project to loot funds (personal aggrandisement), let's wait and see if same will be said about the Government of APC[i]

6 Likes

Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by dfrost: 8:27am On Jan 30, 2017
flyca:

I'm a Nigerian, not affliated to any government or political party. I am tired of the way things are done! No body send me o, I'm just doing my part, in building the nation.

cheesy grin
Re: China Exim Bank Approves N408bn For Lagos-ibadan Rail Project by Goke7: 8:31am On Jan 30, 2017
BBPIA:
T[b]his kind of development is what SW APC block should concern themselves with. We are not interested in their useless horse trading, form a common front for regional development and bury your penchant for unproductive power play.
[/b]
Good one from federal government

And, what time frame do we have for the completion of this project?

Exactly burv, a rail line linking ibadan and Lagos directly is the real deal as its one of the ways to de-congest Lagos, people can live in Ibadan and go to work in Lagos daily and vice versa. Long overdue

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Military Threatens People Hiding Information About Boko Haram / Is This The Most Backward Governor In Nigeria? PHOTO! / Bandits Kill One In Gurmana, Kidnap 10 People; Set Houses Ablaze, Rustle Cattle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.