Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,241 members, 7,807,817 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:47 PM

Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban (39836 Views)

Robert Mugabe With His First Wife Sally Hayfron On Their Wedding Day(throwback) / Donald Trump Sacks Adebayo Ogunlesi As Adviser / Donald Trump Sacks James Comey Director Of Federal Bureau Of Investigation (FBI) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by logica(m): 9:07am On Jan 31, 2017
You're fired!
Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by davidif: 9:07am On Jan 31, 2017
jejemanito:
I think at this point the political encyclopedias on Nairaland need to explain how on earth these Trump calls are moving swiftly

I thought in a DEMOCRACY the executive, legislators and the judiciary must align before decisions can be SIGNED into law

Ayam not understanding again o undecided

The American constitution provides the President with some few special privileges known as temporary executive actions.

Now the key word is temporary. For it to be permanent, the congress would have to vote on it and pass it which neither seem to have done this time

1 Like

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by seankay(m): 9:07am On Jan 31, 2017
At the end of the day, Americans will appreciate Donald Trump.

4 Likes

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by hucienda: 9:08am On Jan 31, 2017
Ijaya123:
One gets the feeling that Trump's impeachment will come sooner than expected.

lol .. na dream be dis or reality? grin

President Trump will be there for 8 solid years.

Democrats had better start strategising on how to rebuild the party 'cos the jackass now caters to the coasts - leaving the elephant with the spoils in swaths of the middle.

3 Likes

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by FBS: 9:08am On Jan 31, 2017
Hypocrites everywhere. The so called " liberal media" should give it a rest.

3 Likes

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by jejemanito: 9:09am On Jan 31, 2017
davidif:

The American constitution provides the President with some few special privileges call temporary executive actions. For it to be permanent, the congress would have to vote on it and pass it which neither seem to have done this time
Thanks. At least this serves as hope that this slowpoke's excesses will be fixed soon.

1 Like

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by davidif: 9:09am On Jan 31, 2017
sapiosexual1:
Clinton News Network is at it again. If she knew she couldn't run with the government's policies, why didn't she honorably resign?
See her face like amoeba.
Stark hypocrisy is when you are soo vocal and expectant about the failure of Trump, someone who doesn't care if you exist or not, while you turn a blind eye to your country's indisputable failings . A government you helped bring to power.
Just take a look at them littering the thread already, busybody zombies being more American than the American while their Nigeria nosedives deeper into the quagmire. Charity they say begins at home.

Wrong! She is the acting attorney general. In other words she is only there temporarily till Trumps pick for attorney general is approved

1 Like

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by Ijaya123: 9:12am On Jan 31, 2017
hucienda:

lol .. na dream be dis or reality? grin

President Trump will be there for 8 solid years.

Democrats had better start strategising on how to rebuild the party 'cos the jackass now caters to the coasts - leaving the elephant with the spoils in swathes of the middle.

E go do you like dream when the thing happen. cheesy
Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by davidif: 9:12am On Jan 31, 2017
Rextayne:
Click like if you agree trump is the man, and he's what america need.

Nope.
Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by davidif: 9:14am On Jan 31, 2017
Adaowerri111:
God bless DT, why complain ...must they live with Infidels? these Animals aren't suppose to live in the same country with humans

Why complain? Well its because of something called the American constitution . I know you Africans don't know much about abiding by a constitution and the rule of law or how mordern democracies are supposed to work so I don't blame y'all.
Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by shiimah: 9:15am On Jan 31, 2017
Trump is a man of his words... he said it during his campaign and he is doing it... His words are his bonds, they should hold him by it...

Unlike in Nigeria where politicians will promise us heaven on earth and deny it immediately they get there...

4 Likes

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by Originality007: 9:16am On Jan 31, 2017
wristbangle:

That will not happen. He will complete his tenure gallantly.

grin grin grin grin grin big Amen to this

2 Likes

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by juman(m): 9:18am On Jan 31, 2017
Unworkable/illegal policies needed to be changed.

1 Like

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by davidif: 9:18am On Jan 31, 2017
bezimo:
That's great.All the hypocritical liberals want to frustrate trump.Boot them out and keep the terrorists out of America.
When Obama was oppressing the far right and republicans with his evil policies and taking away their freedom, they were no protest, now the reverse is the case, they no want let us rest.

Nonsense, I hope Trump stand strong and not give in to the demands of a select group of people.

Those liberals are some of the most hypocritical set of people to observe.They are so demented, and act like zombies that feed off the Liberal media of ABC, CNN etc.No sense of rationality, only to oppose Trump that is what they want to do because they can't think for themselves.

If they had mobilised and protested in masse against killing of unarmed blacks, against Islamic terrorism, against women oppression in the middle east, against Obama's frustration of religious freedom, then it would make sense to understand why they are protesting the muslims ban.

Don't worry ehn! Nothing lasts forever. Mid term elections are only two years away and the democrats are going to come back with a vengeance. So let him enjoy the next two years.

1 Like

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by Originality007: 9:19am On Jan 31, 2017
CXLVII:

That's certain....cant just tell when and the extent of long lingering damage he would have caused America before then.

same way u people predicted Saraki impeachment and up till now saraki is still the Senate President.. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by africanusvu(m): 9:20am On Jan 31, 2017
Me thinks dis is d tim for muslim world to ask themselves;WHY;where did we get it wrong to atract dis hate,instead of instigaving foolish americans to protest in solidarity and their muslim president shamelesly banning americans frm their nation which d cant implement, knwing witout american they cant be president and afta ofice their nest destinatn is america,Nigeria drove home al ghananians notin hapend.even obama did it yet no protest why TRUMP.pls muslims shld alow d world to rest their own is geting too much

3 Likes

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by davidif: 9:20am On Jan 31, 2017
wristbangle:

That will not happen. He will complete his tenure gallantly.

Hahaha, in your dreams. Mid term elextins are in two years. Watch and see what happens when the Democrats come back with a vengeance
Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by Chibydinho(m): 9:20am On Jan 31, 2017
I am a Christian and also from the east but to be sentimental about some of President Trump's policies would be like feigning to be injured in the field of play because my team is losing.

To put the record straight, not all Muslims are terrorists and making such hasty generalization by trying to place ban on certain countries won't help. Let Him think of better ways to make America great.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by Originality007: 9:20am On Jan 31, 2017
davidif:

Don't worry ehn! Nothing lasts forever. Mid term elections are only two years away and the democrats are going to come back with a vengeance. So let him enjoy the next two years.

grin grin grin grin
Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by Originality007: 9:23am On Jan 31, 2017
Chibydinho:
I am a Christian and also from the east but to be sentimental about some of President Trump's policies would be like feigning to be injured in the field of play because my team is losing.

To put the record straight, not all Muslims are terrorists and making such hasty generalization by trying to place ban on certain countries won't help. Let Him think of better ways to make America great.

the man made all these promise loud and clear during his campaign, do u want him to go back like our Nigerians politicians ?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by infofta(m): 9:24am On Jan 31, 2017
All muslims are not terrorists but all terrorists are muslims.
Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by davidif: 9:24am On Jan 31, 2017
pchukwudi:
Hypocrites.

16 countries have a permanent ban on Isreali passport - which affects american citezens too. Ever heard any CNN junk lending their voices to repeal the discrimination?

**** you have no idea what's going on. The liberals are making noise because they need the immigrants (including the illegal ones) to prop up their population so they can keep basterdizing America's founding values, culture and judeo-christian tradition. This is a war for the soul of America. And truth will always triumph over lies, and light over darkness.

The American carnage and wanton bastardization of her scared traditions stops NOW. You guys and your ilks can migrate to the Gambia if you are pissed.

Watch and see what happens during mid term elections two years from now hahaha.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by davidif: 9:26am On Jan 31, 2017
seankay:
At the end of the day, Americans will appreciate Donald Trump.

Uhm, NOPE!!!!!!
Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by Klington: 9:30am On Jan 31, 2017
Mr trump got no chills for terrorists. He's got his people to protect.. See as the tin dey pain them grin grin grin.. Please ban everyone bannable.. Nonsense
Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by davidif: 9:35am On Jan 31, 2017
FBS:
Hypocrites everywhere. The so called " liberal media" should give it a rest.

It seems that with you Trumpites, when someone publishes facts and present you with them, you simply try to ignore and label them as biased.

I no blame una, I blame a President and an administration that deals with "alternative facts".

1 Like

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by PedroJP(m): 9:36am On Jan 31, 2017
sapiosexual1:
Clinton News Network is at it again. If she knew she couldn't run with the government's policies, why didn't she honorably resign?
See her face like amoeba.
Stark hypocrisy is when you are soo vocal and expectant about the failure of Trump, someone who doesn't care if you exist or not, while you turn a blind eye to your country's indisputable failings . A government you helped bring to power.
Just take a look at them littering the thread already, busybody zombies being more American than the American while their Nigeria nosedives deeper into the quagmire. Charity they say begins at home.

Modath please read this before you become more American than the American citizens. You support tyranny at home cos it favours u but voice against decisions u and ur type term tyranny in another country. What a hypocrite

Go and block the ban let us see. More nations will be included soon including ur dear Nigeria if this islamic mentality championed by ur god bubu doesn't stop soon.

Cc jejemanito, another hypocrite. Like u have a perfect democracy in Nigeria. Tell me an instance buhari has worked with the Assembly in all his policies ?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by HHH7king: 9:37am On Jan 31, 2017
Flexherbal:
Trump fires acting AG after she declines to defend travel ban

By Evan Perez and Jeremy Diamond, CNN

January 31, 2017

Story highlights
Yates is an Obama appointee
She is serving until Trump nominee Sessions is confirmed.

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump fired acting Attorney General Sally Yates Monday night for "refusing to enforce a legal order designed to protect the citizens of the United States," the White House said.

"(Yates) has betrayed the Department of Justice," the White House statement said.
Dana Boente, US attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, the White House said, and was sworn in at 9 p.m. ET, per an administration official.
Trump didn't call Yates to dismiss her, she was informed by hand-delivered letter, according to a different administration official.
The dramatic move came soon after CNN reported Yates told Justice Department lawyers not to make legal arguments defending Trump's executive order on immigration and refugees.

The move set up a clash between the White House and Yates, who was appointed by President Barack Obama and was set to serve until Sen. Jeff Sessions, Trump's nominee for attorney general, is confirmed.
"My responsibility is to ensure that the position of the Department of Justice is not only legally defensible, but is informed by our best view of what the law is after consideration of all the facts," she said in a letter. "In addition, I am responsible for ensuring that the positions we take in court remain consistent with this institution's solemn obligation to always seek justice and stand for what is right."
Trump's executive order, signed Friday, bars citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States for the next 90 days, suspends the admission of all refugees for 120 days and indefinitely suspends the Syrian refugee program. Yates' decision came amid a flood of protests against the executive order nationwide and after four federal judges ruled against Trump's order, staying its impact on people who were detained at US airports over the weekend.

Trump tweeted his response shortly after the news broke, saying Democrats have stymied Sessions' confirmation, enabling Yates.

"The Democrats are delaying my cabinet picks for purely political reasons. They have nothing going but to obstruct. Now have an Obama A.G.," he said.

"At present, I am not convinced that the defense of the executive order is consistent with these responsibilities nor am I convinced that the executive order is lawful," Yates wrote.
Yates' decision was always likely to be extremely short-lived as Sessions is scheduled for a vote in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday.
White House policy director Stephen Miller, who helped craft the executive order, called Yates' decision "a further demonstration of how politicized our legal system has become."
The US ban: Why these 7?
"It's sad that our politics have become so politicized, that you have people refusing to enforce our laws," Miller said Monday night on MSNBC.
Miller also defended the executive order's legality, insisting that the Immigration and Nationality Act gives the President "the ability to exclude any class of would-be visitors or immigrants to our country based on our national security interests."

But the decision didn't face the same criticism from Rep. Pete Sessions, a top House Republican, who said Yates' decision was likely similar "to an evaluation that we made."
"And that was it did not appear to be specific in nature," Sessions said referring to the executive order. "So it may be a matter of clarity it may be a matter of illegality to him, it may be a matter of several things. It did not look as complete and succinct as what I think I would've wanted."
Rep. Elijah Cummings, the top Democrat on the House Oversight Committee, praised Yates for standing up "on principle."
"In all my years as a member of Congress, which now is 21, I've met so many very principled people who truly believe in the Constitution and doing what is right," Cumming said. "There comes a time when people, no matter who may be their boss, they stand upon their principles, so at the end of the day they can look them selves in the mirror and say 'I synchronized my conduct with my conscience.' And Yates is such a person."
Currently, there are cases filed in at least five states including Virginia, New York, Massachusetts, Washington and California that are challenging Trump's order.
The decision effectively grounds the executive order for the next few days until Sessions is sworn in.

"This will be moot. Then we will very much see the Trump Justice Department led by Jeff Sessions defend this executive order pretty vigorously. And then it will be up to the courts," said Steve Vladeck, a CNN contributor and law professor at the University of Texas School of Law.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer told CNN's Erin Burnett Monday the Justice Department decision reflects poorly on the Trump administration.
"When you do something as important as this, it can't be a Twitter-type of activity," Schumer said. "This has to be thoroughly vetted ... and it's a very bad omen for this presidency."
Activists who have led the fight against Trump's immigration ban lauded Yates' action Monday night.
"We took to the court room, people took to the streets and now principled federal officials are drawing a hardline on this shameful and unconstitutional act by President Trump. This is what we rely on the Department of Justice for, to uphold the rule of law no matter how the political wind is blowing," said Karen Tumlin, the National Immigration Law Center's legal director.
Lee Gelernt, the American Civil Liberties Union lawyer who argued against the immigration ban in court in New York, praised Yates' decision and called on the next attorney general to "continue with that policy."
"This ban will do irreparable damage to real people and to American values," he said.
CNN's Kevin Liptak and Theodore Schleifer contributed to this report.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/30/politics/donald-trump-immigration-order-department-of-justice/index.html
this Donald T is breathing hot but I doubt his credibility and effect of his actions.nairalanders I see war looming.Trump Trump Trump.he who lives in a glass house should not throw stones
Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by Chibydinho(m): 9:37am On Jan 31, 2017
Originality007:

the man made all these promise loud and clear during his campaign, do u want him to go back like our Nigerians politicians ?
And you deem his actions the more sensible way to go?
Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by dschools: 9:39am On Jan 31, 2017
And u all against Trump are in support of terroriism? The man is doing his job of keeping his people safe! Why cant those people arrange their country and stop fighting here and therr. Siucide bombing the people helping u!
Ban all of them jare!

2 Likes

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by Rozaay: 9:39am On Jan 31, 2017
modath:

Some nitwits (NL resident chronically embittered & disgruntled elemets) rejoicing in this ban have no idea of the far reaching effects of what this power drunk crazy mofo has done....

A professorof Molecular Genetics from Switzerland who happens to hold an iranian passport was among those banned from entry into & this is someone knee deep in research for cure for Tuberculosis & Diabetes..... How is this OK

Pentagon, Joint Chiefs, Homeland Security were not consulted before emperor baby fists swung into motion, now he has left poo for them to clean up... Frantic efforts are already being made to get waivers for people from these countries acting as spies & translators for them....

In all of this, it speaks loudly that Saudi (Terrorist.com) UAE, Qatar and co haven't been included.... Business/ PROFIT over EVERYTHING ..., Trump really echoes the sentiments held by some peeps...

There is no way this won't be blocked!!! No way!!
it's not a must for you people to talk Na for Christ sake...

He openely laid down his campaign promises and Americans openly voted him in meaning that is what they want. They simply want any act of terrorism to be totally prevented from entering their country...

It's very obvious that if America keep allowing immigrants in, especially Muslims, it will only be a matter of time before bomb starts raining like it's doing in Nigeria currently.

Obama and Bush dropped thousands of bomb on them you people did not run your mouths then, now someone that's not interested in bombing them is trying his best to keep them away by all possible means and you people are ranting about it.

Do you even know Sharia law is being practiced in the USA?

I leave you to the below meme

5 Likes

Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by ChynoBEATS: 9:39am On Jan 31, 2017
Izonpikin:
trump would get tired of all these gra gra pretty soon...

Lol :v its as-if you don't know trump ... He'll fire every fire-able person without second thought... Just like he did on the apprentice cheesy ...
Re: Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban by bezimo(m): 9:39am On Jan 31, 2017
davidif:

Don't worry ehn! Nothing lasts forever. Mid term elections are only two years away and [b]the democrats are going to come back with a vengeance. [/b]So let him enjoy the next two years.

Which Democrats? I don't think they would stand a chance, don't be deceived majority of Americans are behind Trump, only a few miscreants called liberals are trying to use the media in protest to frustrate his great intentions to Make America great.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Russia Launches 80 Hypersonic Missiles Against Ukraine / Ghana Protests Over Inflation / Gambian Army Chief Rejoicing After Barrow's Inauguration (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.