Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,372 members, 7,808,295 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:58 AM

5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews (28227 Views)

Never Put These 5 Things On Your CV When Applying For A Job In Nigeria / 12 Reasons Your CV Isn’t Getting You Interviews / 3 Ways A Dirty Mindset Can Deny You A Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by BiafranBushBoy: 9:37am On Jan 31, 2017
Have you ever wondered why despite the number of CV’s you have sent out, you still haven’t heard much from prospective employers. Sometimes you are forced to even apply for jobs that you feel you are over-qualified for, and still end up with no call-back from the employer. Take a moment and analyze these 5 things you write in your CV, they might actually be the loophole you carry about in your CV.

Objectives

Merely looking at a candidate’s objective in his CV, I can easily tell if he/she is actually the lazy type or someone who is willing to stand-out of the crowd. It is no longer a secret that most job seekers recycle objectives among themselves because they don’t even have an idea what an objective means or stand for. Imagine an HR personnel who has read countless CV and finally lays hold of your resume and find the normal jargon being recycled as an objective right there on your resume. Believe me that your chances of being called up are now very slim; unless you something special happen.
An objective is meant to be in line with the caliber of person the employer is looking to hire. Just don’t write up long grammars because it sounds great to you. Most times before requirements, you see things like… “We are looking for a graduate who is …” That is exactly where you need to channel your objectives towards. Do it and see the difference.

Address on CV: This is usually the silent killer of every perfect CV. Imagine you want to apply for a job in Lagos and your address reads Sokoto. Even if you have a family house in Lagos, how would you explain that to a prospective employer? The hiring manager would feel that they don’t have the capacity to house you unless you are an expatriate. Always make sure that your address reads the location of where the job is advertised. This is a simple trick that gives you an edge.

Marital Status
We are all happy you are married, but your potential employer doesn’t care about that. He is only interested in whoever will push his business forward, and most times not married people. The term “Married” in the mind of every hiring manager has the same meaning as “Responsibilities”, and no one is so willing to hire someone with lots of responsibilities already especially our lovely females. Keep the marital status aside, unless the job favors those who are married; then you can be free to flaunt it.

Unnecessary Explanations: The moment your CV becomes too complex to read, that is the moment it is thrown right into a dustbin. We know how much you want to explain yourself, but the CV isn’t the right place to do that. You have your cover letter and letter of introduction like I explained http://topwritersden.com/how-to-write-a-perfect-cv/, http://topwritersden.com/how-to-write-a-good-cover-letter/. The CV is meant to show your work experience and the skills you are bringing to the table. No need explaining how you successfully carried out your former job roles. Let your CV be clear and concise. For every Job explanation, just a few lines would do the magic needed.

Drab/popular Skills
I wonder how many times I have seen the same skills in virtually everyone’s resume. Skills like “Analytical reasoning, Critical reasoning, Team work, Ability to work under pressure, Ability to work independently and so on” are becoming boring in the eye of employers. Fish out something magical if you actually possess it, then watch it do the magic for you. In most cases, borrow the skills listed in the job you want to apply, and add just a few of it to your CV.

Job seeking is a war that we must overcome, but it begins with your ability to sell yourself to a potential employer. Watch out for these 5 things on your CV, as it might just be the stumbling block to your landing of a better job. Thanks.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by klassykute(m): 10:00am On Jan 31, 2017
i jus knw

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by Histrings08(m): 11:12am On Jan 31, 2017
Thank u
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by BiafranBushBoy: 12:09pm On Jan 31, 2017
Histrings08:
Thank u

smiley.. Thanks too.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by Richie0974: 12:14pm On Jan 31, 2017
Have we not heard enough of CV this, CV that. It's almost everyday posts about how to prepare your CV well makes FP still what difference have they made. Different posters, different methods, sometimes you get confused which one to follow. Next please.

12 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by BUHARImyDOG: 12:14pm On Jan 31, 2017
what of fukin experience
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by seunny4lif(m): 12:15pm On Jan 31, 2017
I can smell FP grin grin
Seun and Lala grin cheesy

Good network by Glo grin grin
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by Benjom(m): 12:17pm On Jan 31, 2017
Very good write up OP... but I feel the section "Objective" should be replaced with "Career Profile" or "Profile Summary".

"Objectives" sort of accentuate or focus on your 'intentions or goals' but the latter is more robust and explicit with facts - more of a summation of what has been accomplished and expected to be brought to the table.

This is an excerpt from what I wrote on "Complete Step By Step Guide To Writing A Successful CV" :

CAREER PROFILE
‘Career Profile’ can also be termed ‘Profile Summary, Professional Summary, Career Summary, Career Overview’. Most people start their CV with ‘Objective’ or ‘Career Objective’. An Objective states what you expect an employer to do for you. However, a Career Profile/Summary might be preferable. Employers want to know what you’re bringing to the table. If you must therefore include your ‘Objective’ because you feel it would work in your favour, then input it at the end of the Career Summary, Profile or Overview. Your Career Summary should be in a few sentences and composed as one paragraph. It is there to make sure that the employers actually read through your CV.

Read full article with screenshots and a full example here (NOT FOR LAZY READERS):
www..com/complete-step-step-guide-writing-successful-cv/

Or view some CV Samples here:
www..com/cv-samples/

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by LannisterIMP: 12:17pm On Jan 31, 2017
Nice one Op... thanks.
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by ariyebaba(m): 12:17pm On Jan 31, 2017
informative !
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by freddie82(m): 12:18pm On Jan 31, 2017
good one
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by iambijo(m): 12:20pm On Jan 31, 2017
Miyetti, thank you very much
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by AlexCk: 12:21pm On Jan 31, 2017
Nice 1 @Op.
Also, writing ur local government area and state isn't really important/necessary

As God dey take give job, man who know man sef dey help.
Choi,

Baba God, let somebody just forget 20million naira in my account,

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by Blingblings(m): 12:21pm On Jan 31, 2017
Nice one
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by aku626(m): 12:21pm On Jan 31, 2017
hmmm
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by CXLVII: 12:23pm On Jan 31, 2017
When you don't write all listed, what is then left to write? Sex skills?

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by annnikky(f): 12:23pm On Jan 31, 2017
Tnx for d info. smiley
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by yedidiah(m): 12:27pm On Jan 31, 2017
Smart write-up I must say. In other words, the writer is advising job seekers should have a flexible CV that is edited with each job applied for.

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by Richy4(m): 12:28pm On Jan 31, 2017
there's nothing freaking wrong with popular skills....What do you want them to put in there if they have analytical abilities and skills?...Do you want them to say that they can move mountains? Except they don't want to offer them the job....I do not agree that something is wrong with having a popular skills...

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by babyfaceafrica: 12:28pm On Jan 31, 2017
Story.....some people no submit CV sef..dem don get job!!!

3 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by just2endowed: 12:30pm On Jan 31, 2017
spotted
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by lonelydora: 12:30pm On Jan 31, 2017
The address and marital status is a no-no for most employers.
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by gbegemaster(m): 12:37pm On Jan 31, 2017
Thanks!
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by Adonis7: 12:42pm On Jan 31, 2017
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by onexile: 12:44pm On Jan 31, 2017
I have seen 1,0001 different articles of this nature, sincerely speaking it just for academic exercise and nothing more.

As far as Nigeria is concerned, you will get a Job when they want to give it to you. Nobody is interested in that your nonsense you call CV.

Btw... I got this job I am doing without even writing an application. I was just called to come and start work and that ends it. Dazol

4 Likes

Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by Jglad(f): 12:45pm On Jan 31, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
Story.....some people no submit CV sef..dem don get job!!!

I taya ooo...
So in other words, Op talk say make we lie about Wia we dey live... OK ooo, av yard U #in Jenifa's voice
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by drnoel: 12:47pm On Jan 31, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:
Have you ever wondered why despite the number of CV’s you have sent out, you still haven’t heard much from prospective employers. Sometimes you are forced to even apply for jobs that you feel you are over-qualified for, and still end up with no call-back from the employer. Take a moment and analyze these 5 things you write in your CV, they might actually be the loophole you carry about in your CV.

Objectives

Merely looking at a candidate’s objective in his CV, I can easily tell if he/she is actually the lazy type or someone who is willing to stand-out of the crowd. It is no longer a secret that most job seekers recycle objectives among themselves because they don’t even have an idea what an objective means or stand for. Imagine an HR personnel who has read countless CV and finally lays hold of your resume and find the normal jargon being recycled as an objective right there on your resume. Believe me that your chances of being called up are now very slim; unless you something special happen.
An objective is meant to be in line with the caliber of person the employer is looking to hire. Just don’t write up long grammars because it sounds great to you. Most times before requirements, you see things like… “We are looking for a graduate who is …” That is exactly where you need to channel your objectives towards. Do it and see the difference.

Address on CV: This is usually the silent killer of every perfect CV. Imagine you want to apply for a job in Lagos and your address reads Sokoto. Even if you have a family house in Lagos, how would you explain that to a prospective employer? The hiring manager would feel that they don’t have the capacity to house you unless you are an expatriate. Always make sure that your address reads the location of where the job is advertised. This is a simple trick that gives you an edge.

Marital Status
We are all happy you are married, but your potential employer doesn’t care about that. He is only interested in whoever will push his business forward, and most times not married people. The term “Married” in the mind of every hiring manager has the same meaning as “Responsibilities”, and no one is so willing to hire someone with lots of responsibilities already especially our lovely females. Keep the marital status aside, unless the job favors those who are married; then you can be free to flaunt it.

Unnecessary Explanations: The moment your CV becomes too complex to read, that is the moment it is thrown right into a dustbin. We know how much you want to explain yourself, but the CV isn’t the right place to do that. You have your cover letter and letter of introduction like I explained http://topwritersden.com/how-to-write-a-perfect-cv/, http://topwritersden.com/how-to-write-a-good-cover-letter/. The CV is meant to show your work experience and the skills you are bringing to the table. No need explaining how you successfully carried out your former job roles. Let your CV be clear and concise. For every Job explanation, just a few lines would do the magic needed.

Drab/popular Skills
I wonder how many times I have seen the same skills in virtually everyone’s resume. Skills like “Analytical reasoning, Critical reasoning, Team work, Ability to work under pressure, Ability to work independently and so on” are becoming boring in the eye of employers. Fish out something magical if you actually possess it, then watch it do the magic for you. In most cases, borrow the skills listed in the job you want to apply, and add just a few of it to your CV.

Job seeking is a war that we must overcome, but it begins with your ability to sell yourself to a potential employer. Watch out for these 5 things on your CV, as it might just be the stumbling block to your landing of a better job. Thanks.

Things like this is what makes me dislike Nigerian recruiters with a passion. One phrase for you. Exposure is golden.
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by Wiseandtrue(f): 12:49pm On Jan 31, 2017
Okay OP very true but my attention was drawn to the number 3.
I don't understand, are you of the opinion that the status should be completely removed from the CV or are you saying that applicant should always write single except on some cases.
Please clarify
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by BiafranBushBoy: 12:53pm On Jan 31, 2017
drnoel:

Things like this is what makes me dislike Nigerian recruiters with a passion. One phrase for you. Exposure is golden.

I appreciate smiley
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by BiafranBushBoy: 12:54pm On Jan 31, 2017
Richie0974:
Have we not heard enough of CV this, CV that. It's almost everyday posts about how to prepare your CV well makes FP still what difference have they made. Different posters, different methods, sometimes you get confused which one to follow. Next please.

Bro.. It is not okay till all job seekers get job!

So please... don't discourage people!

1 Like

Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by donGotze(m): 12:55pm On Jan 31, 2017
Good write up. You nailed it.
Re: 5 Things You Write On Your CV That Deny You Interviews by drnoel: 12:57pm On Jan 31, 2017
BiafranBushBoy:

I appreciate smiley

That wasn't meant to be an insult. No hard feeling.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Army List Of Successful Candidates 2019 (DSSC 24 & SSC 45) / Mountain Top University Massive Recruitment For Non-teaching Staff Positions / Sabbat: A Friend Turns Down A Job Opportunity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.