Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,797 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Reflections Of A Young Nigerian Man On ‘black Identity’ - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Reflections Of A Young Nigerian Man On ‘black Identity’ (726 Views)

How Can A Rich White Man Date A Black Woman On Black And White Dating Site? / Isi Agu - An Igbo Identity / British Igbos Discuss Biafra, Nigerian Identity And British Citizenship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reflections Of A Young Nigerian Man On ‘black Identity’ by Seunbunmi(m): 12:59pm On Feb 01, 2017
Written by: Seun B. Adebayo

I was born in Nigeria and having spent all my life in Nigeria, a whole new experience began for me in 2015, when for the first time, I got into an airplane traveling to Europe to study at a Master’s programme that will entail me studying in at least 3 universities and countries for the next 2 years, including the University of Amsterdam. This was a remarkable journey for me, and the first reflection I had in the course of my study in Europe was on how I have become more conscious of the ‘black’ identity, institutionally and socially, than while I was in Nigeria. I remember sharing with a colleague of how coming to Europe has made me realized others’ strong identification of me with the ‘black’ identity.

I recount that back in Nigeria, we rarely discuss or identify with the ‘black’ identity, we see ourselves as Nigerians or by our tribal affiliations. However, I have come to understand that the way others (e.g. the Westerns) perceive us is stronger and influential than we do. This realization made me understand why I grew up with the consciousness of my race, ethnic origin and affiliation, and how my identity is perceived in other parts of the world. The fact that my ancestors were forcefully taken as slaves by some ‘foreigners’ is concerning. The knowledge that these ‘foreigners’ exploited and colonized my people and land, is ever more saddening. This prejudice has birthed the harsh realities of a world laden with inequalities, discrimination, and apartheid against people with similar history and background by these ‘foreigners’ who had no ‘right’ in the first place to act so. In addition, it is quite an unfortunate reality that the nation I call my country, Nigeria, was actually an amalgamation of ‘different’ people by such ‘foreign impositions’, which was motivated by what I perceived as selfish interests of the ‘foreigners’. Till this moment, these past foreign actions are still a threat and distortion to the unity of my ‘sovereign’ country.

In the Nigerian context, being from the Southwestern part of the country and hailing from the Yoruba ethnic group precisely, I have grown up with the awareness that I am from a tribe different from other ethnic groups in Nigeria. Nigeria, my country, was formed and colonized by the British (Colonial Masters) to serve their own purposes. After independence in 1960, the country the British left behind had to contend with the issues of ethnicity, minority, social contract, and till date, some groups still agitate to secede from the Nigerian state.

Consequently, I have become conscious of how the ‘foreigners’ who I believe have done more harm than good identify with people of similar background.

From the foregoing, I write this essay with the feeling that the world is going in a cycle with the issues associated with Race and Ethnicity. The truth is not being told as it is! Who has the right to conceptualize and define identities? For whose interests are these conceptualizations and definitions of identities made? These are questions we should strive to answer objectively and critically in our present world. At some point, I got really interested in different identities that exist in the world. I read some history books, materials and articles on the internet. And I discovered that the conceptualizations and definitions of many identities were done by people that had no legitimate right to do so in the first place. In fact, people whose identities were defined by others were not consulted when their identities were defined. Likewise, the conceptualization of identities are not value or interest neutral. This I believe has contributed immensely to social constructions that we have in the world today.

From literature (academic articles, reports, textbooks etc.), I observed how distortions of present realities, truth and history are justified. Recently, I read about how a young student in the United States, observed in a geography textbook that had a chapter on slave trade and immigration, the textbook identified that “the Atlantic Slave Trade between 1500s and 1800s brought millions of workers from Africa to the southern United States to work on agricultural plantations”. This is a biased history education, it is obvious that they were forcefully brought as ‘slaves’ and not ‘workers’.

This writing has made me reflect on how I have been coerced to accept my ‘identity’ and conceptions of Race and Ethnicity. While I was in Amsterdam, I walked into a grocery store to get some food items. As I got into the store, I noticed that the storekeeper started trailing me even with the presence of CCTV cameras. I felt really sad, because the storekeeper might have thought that I was going to steal or lift items. I asked myself, why? I responded, because I am perceived as ‘black’, and the society I find myself sees me that way too. It was even more shocking to me when I unconsciously began losing trust and having fear of others labelled as ‘blacks’, and how I willingly wanted to be associated with people labelled as ‘whites’.

From the above reflection, I discovered that I have been consciously trained through socialization, schooling and education to accept my identity. People of my color are referred to as ‘Blacks’; and primarily through training, I have realized that the color ‘black’ has characteristics associated with evil and negative connotations, such as death, disease, ugly, fear, poverty and darkness. While, the ‘foreigners’ are referred to as ‘Whites’, the color which is primarily associated with good and positive connotations. However, judging from history, I think the reverse should have been the case. Researching through the Nigerian cultures, I am yet to find a Nigerian culture where ‘black’ has positive connotations. I recently spoke to a friend from the Kpelle tribal group in Liberia about these issues and I asked if there was any culture in Liberia where ‘black’ signifies anything good or positive, he replied that there was none that he knows of. I further asked what ‘white’ symbolizes in his culture. He responded that ‘white’ represents love, purity, warmth and reception in his culture.

Looking forward, I believe that the issues of Race and Ethnicity will continue except we critically question systems and institutions that promote stereotyping, conceptualization and definitional identities, and what prompts external interests. Furthermore, the truth should be told as it is, this will generate the processes to real freedom, equity, and then we can have a future with fewer challenges on Race and Ethnicity.

First published: amsterdamunited.org
Re: Reflections Of A Young Nigerian Man On ‘black Identity’ by ghettowriter(m): 1:06pm On Feb 01, 2017
Nice write up. I want to wake up one day to the realisation that you won't be judged by the color of your skins, race and ethnicity but by the content of your character.

1 Like

Re: Reflections Of A Young Nigerian Man On ‘black Identity’ by Fulaman198(m): 3:39pm On Feb 01, 2017
That's one of the realities you have to face living in the Western world. However, instead of feeling sad about it, don't be such a cucked coward. Man up, and clearly ask someone tailing you is there a particular reason why you are tailing me? Let's see how he responds to that. Do you think white men are followed or watched like Hawks in Nigeria the same way black men are followed or watched like Hawks in the West? Nigerians need to stop being such cucked cowards.
Re: Reflections Of A Young Nigerian Man On ‘black Identity’ by Seunbunmi(m): 5:42pm On Feb 01, 2017
Fulaman198:
That's one of the realities you have to face living in the Western world. However, instead of feeling sad about it, don't be such a cucked coward. Man up, and clearly ask someone tailing you is there a particular reason why you are tailing me? Let's see how he responds to that. Do you think white men are followed or watched like Hawks in Nigeria the same way black men are followed or watched like Hawks in the West? Nigerians need to stop being such cucked cowards.

It is quite unfortunate you got a wrong message from the article... the issue of race and ethnicity are social constructions that promote inequalities in the world and the 'static' developing status of many regions of the world. Cheers!
Re: Reflections Of A Young Nigerian Man On ‘black Identity’ by Fulaman198(m): 6:41pm On Feb 01, 2017
Seunbunmi:

It is quite unfortunate you got a wrong message from the article... the issue of race and ethnicity are social constructions that promote inequalities in the world and the 'static' developing status of many regions of the world. Cheers!

Sir, I did not misunderstand your post at all, but I am reflecting on some of the things mentioned in your post that kind of upset me. I often am under the belief that Nigerians are far too passive and cucked as black men.

Yes, whilst in Nigeria (and Africa as a whole), we view ourselves by our respective ethnic groups (I prefer this terminology over tribe as tribe has a negative connotation to it. Whites use this terminology to make Africans look backwards). In the Western world, we are viewed as black. In America, an African is not seen as been different from an African American. That is reality. I am not entirely sure of how we are viewed in Asia.

Part of it though is our fault with (though I don't partake in this) and the butt-kissing ways many Nigerians exhibit when kissing the Wests' butt when the West dislikes them. I think Nigerians need to stop doing that and have an "eff you mentality" otherwise you will be seen as weak.

1 Like

Re: Reflections Of A Young Nigerian Man On ‘black Identity’ by bigfrancis21: 7:20am On Feb 02, 2017
Same here I was never aware of my 'black' identity until I arrived here in the US. One big difference between growing in Nigeria and living in the US is in terms of perception. Back in Nigeria, we do not look at one's color but instead at the person for who they are, their person, their characteristics. I also noticed we take out more time to understand someone, their behavior, or reasons behind their actions compared to the western world, especially the US. The US focuses a lot on one's skin color and people automatically assign you perceived attributes thereof based on your skin color. They have less time or patience to understand other people, especially if not of their own race and you'd often find yourself having to explain your actions, your words, your intent/motive behind them etc A LOT. The difference in perception between both countries is thus: In Nigeria, I think of myself as a person first deserving of rights before I think of myself as a black person, however in the US I am a black person first before I regard myself as a human being.

Unfortunately, this is something a Nigerian who has never left Nigeria will not understand until they get to live abroad for a while. Many Nigerians back home barely understand racism or what it means, and they would often dismiss any talks of racism you tell them as mere nothing to be mentioned.

(1) (Reply)

Adage Of The Day And Its Meaning / It's August 13th, Happy Left Handers Day / "Your Wealth Means Nothing, If It's Not To The Benefit Of The Poor"-ooni Of Ife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.