Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,202 members, 7,807,683 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:19 PM

I Am Dropping Out Of The University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Am Dropping Out Of The University (5986 Views)

Nothing / Ebhomielen Ofure Mary Had 7.0 CGPA At The University Of Ibadan / Am Now In School Again After Dropping Out In 300level (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Dropping Out Of The University by stuffsabouttara(f): 3:24pm On Feb 01, 2017
It wasn't real because I have never given it a real thought, well until three days ago, when I just blurted it out to Babe. It had been nagging in my chest, slowly becoming a nuisance, but until I actually said the words to Babe, the idea of dropping out had never been a real thing.

Dropping out of school isn't the sort of thing a girl like me would/should consider. A girl brought up in a good home with everything catered for and stuffs stuffs stuffs. But more reasonably, a girl with so much academic excellence and promise. My secondary school was filled with the same phrases from everyone when I told them I wanted to be a writer, "you want to waste your brains" they would half say, half question. My Papa hammered, drummed and sang the medicine thing - you will be a doctor. They so much believed in me, the girl with her face always buried inside a book. I still wonder why they didn't see it then, why they still can't see it now. Or maybe they can, they are just ignoring it, labeling it insignificant, a child that doesn't know any better.

I grew up reading my Papa's newspapers (with much encouragement from him), then I shifted to novels, history books, documentaries - different sizes, hundreds to thousands of pages. I was so immersed in books (still am) and writing only followed naturally. One time Papa called me into his bedroom and told me he didn't want me to do medicine just because it was what he wanted. That day, he asked me what I really wanted - I said medicine.

Maybe then I didn't know (who the eff am I kidding, I've always known!), but all I've ever wanted to do is write. Nobody was just listening because they felt self assured that someone with brains like mine should automatically choose medicine.

Only Babe has ever looked at me with eyes full of genuine understanding when I say I just want to write. I did physics for a year, then pursued Nursing, got into medicine and surgery, and now switched to pharmacy. And I finally realized the truth that I would not rest if it's not writing. It goes deeper than this, the uncertainty, the shallow feeling of emptiness, it's all irregular and just too depressing. I do not possess the elaborate vocabulary or literary prowress to put into words, how it really feels, the reality of the weight it puts on me.

I told Babe I wanted to drop out. This time, do it my own way. Fill out my jamb form by myself and perhaps go for English and literary studies even if it means rewriting waec. And until now, when I finally voiced it out to Babe, and now typing it, the prospects of dropping out has never felt so real. It seems reckless and foolish but my spirit wouldn't be still.

Originally posted in meetmitchell.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by 0700Jesse(m): 3:39pm On Feb 01, 2017
Mummy come & see, they've start following your child again

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by stuffsabouttara(f): 4:12pm On Feb 01, 2017
0700Jesse:
Mummy come & see, they've start following your child again
probably it's funny to you, maybe a little bit stupid even. But please, do learn not to make fun of people, no matter how tempting. Nobody knows tomorrow and the tales it may bring with it. I do not beg for your kind words, but I'd prefer your silence to this matter if all you have is words full of mockery.

7 Likes

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by oldfoolnigger(m): 5:24pm On Feb 01, 2017
Op dont do what u mind is pushing u to.is not a must that one has to do eng.and literary stu.before one becomes a good writer.field of study plays little role once u are a gifted writer,u only need guidance.there are many medical doctors who are great writers and novelists today.

9 Likes

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by ADEWUMIMichael(m): 6:40pm On Feb 01, 2017
let the OP do whatever he wants to do in life so that he won't do someone else's job
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by Jglad(f): 6:52pm On Feb 01, 2017
Y not finish ur parent's pharmacy first... Then settle for ur writing... Once u re a graduate, then no go get it time again then u can choose to live as u like....

#my opinion though... U don't need to take it
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by SirKriz(m): 8:17pm On Feb 01, 2017
OP, I understand what you are going through. Trust me. I had similar experience too. I studied Civil Engineering whereas I'm a sucker for all things ICT.
I had 3 choices to make; Transfer to Computer Science, Take another Jamb form or Continue with Engineering and do computing on the side.

My friends were always saying I was in the wrong department. Lol grin

At the end, I finished well and still dedicated time to practise on my passion. It would be crazy and demanding, sometimes you will lose focus but ability to stay in the undesirable will make you stronger later on in life. When you are through with school, you can then decide what you really want to do, right now just prepare yourself to work harder. Hope it helps. All the best, dear.

4 Likes

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by stuffsabouttara(f): 8:28pm On Feb 01, 2017
oldfoolnigger:
Op dont do what u mind is pushing u to.is not a must that one has to do eng.and literary stu.before one becomes a good writer.field of study plays little role once u are a gifted writer,u only need guidance.there are many medical doctors who are great writers and novelists today.
this is a really nice point. Thanks for the great insight, I'll surely be penning it down.

1 Like

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by stuffsabouttara(f): 8:30pm On Feb 01, 2017
SirKriz:
OP, I understand what you are going through. Trust me. I had similar experience too. I studied Civil Engineering whereas I'm a sucker for all things ICT.
I had 3 choices to make; Transfer to Computer Science, Take another Jamb form or Continue with Engineering and do computing on the side.

My friends were always saying I was in the wrong department. Lol grin

At the end, I finished well and still dedicated time to practice on my passion. It would be crazy and demanding, sometimes you will lose focus but ability to stay in the undesirable will make you stronger later on in life. When you are through with school, you can then decide what you really want to do, right now just prepare yourself to work harder. Hope it helps. All the best, dear.
Wise words, I really appreciate the optimism here. You are a gem.

1 Like

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by stuffsabouttara(f): 8:33pm On Feb 01, 2017
ADEWUMIMichael:
let the OP do whatever he wants to do in life so that he won't do someone else's job
for some reasons, I can't tell if you meant to be dismissively sarcastic or just sassy, but either way, I actually did laugh when I read this (in a good way), thanks for commenting, at least it's the first time I'm laughing genuinely about this.
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by SirKriz(m): 8:42pm On Feb 01, 2017
stuffsabouttara:
Wise words, I really appreciate the optimism here. You are a gem.

You're welcome! Your blog is cool by the way.
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by oldfoolnigger(m): 8:47pm On Feb 01, 2017
stuffsabouttara:
this is a really nice point. Thanks for the great insight, I'll surely be penning it down.
U are wlc
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by Nobody: 9:04pm On Feb 01, 2017
I did physics for a year,
then pursued Nursing, got into medicine
and surgery, and now switched to
pharmacy.
What sort of Nigerian University allows switching up and down like this undecided undecided Dey lie small small sha....

I firmly believe those who the excuse that they have "passion" for a different course than the course they are studying are merely wimps, more intrested in making excuses than going out to get what they really want. undecided

Take me for instance, I'm currently studying chemistry in UI and about to resume to my 200L level.
I'm on a comfortable first-class grade and have won a scholarship.

Yet chemistry was never really my thing nor am I finishing the course undecided.

The claim that not studying your "passion" is an acceptable reason for absymal results and is a tenous claim at best, a childish daydream at worst.

I would recommend you read Robert Greene's Mastery for more knowledge in order to make an informed decision.

In any case, Chimamanda dropped Medicine for Literature and she didn't have to let everyone know about it cheesy

3 Likes

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by bellville: 9:17pm On Feb 01, 2017
You don't have to drop out to be a writer. Writing to earn a living is tough. You can be a medical doctor and still write, thus winning both ways.

1 Like

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by Nobody: 10:36pm On Feb 01, 2017
Ma advice to u....don't drop out until your earning more than enough. If you feel the workload of being a writer is much, you leave school. Browse about people who are successful without a degree and you will be inspired
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by Snow5(m): 11:20pm On Feb 01, 2017
stuffsabouttara:
It wasn't real because I have never given it a real thought, well until three days ago, when I just blurted it out to Babe. It had been nagging in my chest, slowly becoming a nuisance, but until I actually said the words to Babe, the idea of dropping out had never been a real thing.

Dropping out of school isn't the sort of thing a girl like me would/should consider. A girl brought up in a good home with everything catered for and stuffs stuffs stuffs. But more reasonably, a girl with so much academic excellence and promise. My secondary school was filled with the same phrases from everyone when I told them I wanted to be a writer, "you want to waste your brains" they would half say, half question. My Papa hammered, drummed and sang the medicine thing - you will be a doctor. They so much believed in me, the girl with her face always buried inside a book. I still wonder why they didn't see it then, why they still can't see it now. Or maybe they can, they are just ignoring it, labeling it insignificant, a child that doesn't know any better.

I grew up reading my Papa's newspapers (with much encouragement from him), then I shifted to novels, history books, documentaries - different sizes, hundreds to thousands of pages. I was so immersed in books (still am) and writing only followed naturally. One time Papa called me into his bedroom and told me he didn't want me to do medicine just because it was what he wanted. That day, he asked me what I really wanted - I said medicine.

Maybe then I didn't know (who the eff am I kidding, I've always known!), but all I've ever wanted to do is write. Nobody was just listening because they felt self assured that someone with brains like mine should automatically choose medicine.

Only Babe has ever looked at me with eyes full of genuine understanding when I say I just want to write. I did physics for a year, then pursued Nursing, got into medicine and surgery, and now switched to pharmacy. And I finally realized the truth that I would not rest if it's not writing. It goes deeper than this, the uncertainty, the shallow feeling of emptiness, it's all irregular and just too depressing. I do not possess the elaborate vocabulary or literary prowress to put into words, how it really feels, the reality of the weight it puts on me.

I told Babe I wanted to drop out. This time, do it my own way. Fill out my jamb form by myself and perhaps go for English and literary studies even if it means rewriting waec. And until now, when I finally voiced it out to Babe, and now typing it, the prospects of dropping out has never felt so real. It seems reckless and foolish but my spirit wouldn't be still.

How old are you? Just wanna know before I drop my advise.
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by GSteve001(m): 11:54pm On Feb 01, 2017
stuffsabouttara:
It wasn't real because I have never given it a real thought, well until three days ago, when I just blurted it out to Babe

op, would you believe that I had this thought last week? I know our stories are not exactly the same. they wanted medicine for me too; friends said I'll be one hell of an architect or artist. people around me picked careers I couldn't have wanted then, just because I excelled in related subjects, and that confused me the more.

I loved reading too. even though no one noticed enough to buy me a book. but they allowed me learn the use of a sphygmomanometer at a tender age, because 'we' wanted medicine and surgery.
but now, I couldn't see a future without writing, seriously.

please don't quit school o. look at john grisham, studying law made his stories special. you don't just write a story filled with some legal jargons and events when you have never been there.

you can take a creative writing course. I am considering that, too.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by Homguy(m): 12:21am On Feb 02, 2017
stuffsabouttara:

Ok, i would take the slim odds that piece is real and not from a bored lady graving attention.

I am a pharmacist and, a writer of sorts. I say this only so that you would understand that I do not lack the capacity to see things through your eyes.
Back then at school, i had friends in my faculty who were writers not just writers but outstanding writers. I remember Wemimo, Victor(Codex) , Jide(he dropped a book recently), my self included. We all wrote for leisure and the pleasure it provided. They wrote as freelance writers for newsboards on campus and campus magazines.
Now, i understand that you might want to delve into writing "bigly" , you might even be way better than us but you can still do that while, and after getting your degree as a pharmacist, physcist, nurse or whatever. I had friends who read english language/ literature back then and had the flare and talent to carve the world with words but are basically just reduced to secondary school teachers now.

Please have a good certificate at hand and still pursue your passion. I personally wrote and pasted on boards and walkways under a pseudonym and with time that pen name became very popular. I felt fulfilled.

YOu can do same . Write at your leisure, start a book, join a writers club in school or a newsboard. In my school we had Megaphone, Socioscope, i can even remember the others but i was a member of one of the above. You will find people who share your passion for letters while still pursuing your degree. You are totally capable of doing both.
I earnestly wish you life's best regardless of your choice, Cheers!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by Nobody: 2:53am On Feb 02, 2017
"if there are two or more ways to accomplish something, and one of them will most likely lead to disaster, someone will do it."

when I first read the above quote, I thought it was a clever joke. this thread has taught me otherwise.
you need to understand human specialization is a myth. humans don't have "one true calling" and depending on how developed your intellect is, you can pursue everything you want to. there's no reason to drop one for the other. it's a self-regenerating cake. you can eat and have it.

there is no reason to stop one course and go to study English just because you want to write. firstly because an English degree includes extra baggage that you simply do not need to be an excellent writer. secondly, because a degree in a science course can come of use later. thirdly, because if you quit now, you're conditioning your brain to be okay with losing focus and once you form the habit, it becomes hard to break it. soon you'll find yourself quiting countless stories halfway.

also, it only makes sense to fully utilize the internet. we have Nairaland literature section, we have wattpad, and countless others. we also have blogging. why not test the waters with this first? your success here will lead to better opportunities for you.

7 Likes

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by metallisc(m): 6:58am On Feb 02, 2017
stuffsabouttara:

just finish your present course of study and finish well (this will make everyone in your family happy and give you rest of mind) afterwards you can pursue writing - that part is easy. This is because there are short courses and workshops(local & foreign) for people to improve on their writing. Most of these don't come cheap, so you may need to be working/earning to be able to fund your passion going forward. I am in the creative industry and i have friends that are doing better than i am - most of them studied law but were artists deep down. They finished the law degree and switched to the arts and they are all doing well.

(now that i'm thinking about it... how come they all studied law?... mmmmhhhhhhh....) grin

2 Likes

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by stuffsabouttara(f): 10:53am On Feb 02, 2017
GSteve001:

op, would you believe that I had this thought last week? I know our stories are not exactly the same. they wanted medicine for me too; friends said I'll be one hell of an architect or artist. people around me picked careers I couldn't have wanted then, just because I excelled in related subjects, and that confused me the more.

I loved reading too. even though no one noticed enough to buy me a book. but they allowed me learn the use of a sphygmomanometer at a tender age, because 'we' wanted medicine and surgery.
but now, I couldn't see a future without writing, seriously.

please don't quit school o. look at john grisham, studying law made his stories special. you don't just write a story filled with some legal jargons and events when you have never been there.

you can take a creative writing course. I am considering that, too.
awwn. I really can't send a reply to all the comments but I just had to reply yours. How about you email me your contact info, then we'll talk about the 'getting you a book' thing. *smiles
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by stuffsabouttara(f): 10:55am On Feb 02, 2017
Snow5:

How old are you? Just wanna know before I drop my advise.
lol. Sorry to say but that I can't tell.
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by OxideII(m): 11:03am On Feb 02, 2017
Don't drop out f girl,i too read alot maybe even more than you do. Butmy mind has never been settled about my education u wanted to be an engineer, accountant,theathre arts name it. I ended up picking one that if I look back nowadays iam not proud of but just to make my parents happy I an still going to school but I am also fully willing to pursue a writing career by reading more books dictionaries journals tutorials and all and I do that almost everyday I currently planning to publish my first book in 2019 or so
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by Snow5(m): 11:07am On Feb 02, 2017
stuffsabouttara:
lol. Sorry to say but that I can't tell.

You don't even have a diary here self...so I can savour a little of your writing skill..

You are still holding much from me personally.. I really wanna know you with your writing skills.
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by stuffsabouttara(f): 11:23am On Feb 02, 2017
Snow5:

You don't even have a diary here self...so I can savour a little of your writing skill..

You are still holding much from me personally.. I really wanna know you with your writing skills.
You could always check out my blog, there's a link to it on my profile page.
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by GSteve001(m): 12:04pm On Feb 02, 2017
stuffsabouttara:
awwn. I really can't send a reply to all the comments but I just had to reply yours. How about you email me your contact info, then we'll talk about the 'getting you a book' thing. *smiles

lol. seriously?
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by stuffsabouttara(f): 12:06pm On Feb 02, 2017
GSteve001:

lol. seriously?
yes, seriously.
Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by GSteve001(m): 12:10pm On Feb 02, 2017
stuffsabouttara:
yes, seriously.
wow! I sent a PM already.

1 Like

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by Nobody: 12:18pm On Feb 02, 2017
She just wants people to read her blog. Not clicking. The things people do for attention.

1 Like

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by dessz(m): 12:26pm On Feb 02, 2017
this pic speaks my mind like this if it speaks yours as well.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by TheGreatIYANU: 12:31pm On Feb 02, 2017
stuffsabouttara:

My dear, drop out of Pharmacy and pursue that which tugs at your heart. If you don't, you will regret terribly later. You will be depressed throughout your life, no matter the accomplishment or wealth.

I talk fro experience.

1 Like

Re: I Am Dropping Out Of The University by stuffsabouttara(f): 12:32pm On Feb 02, 2017
aflyingbird:
She just wants people to read her blog. The things people do for attention.
Now you are just being annoyingly narrow-minded. A link to my blog is on the post because it's posted on my blog already and if I don't put a notification about that, I'll get banned. Calling me attention seeking is just so shallow.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abnormal and Strange Things That Used To Be Normal In The Past / Law Textbooks In Pdf At Cheap Price. / I Need Neco Time-table Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.