Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,132 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Almost Paradise - Literature (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Almost Paradise (142987 Views)

Wilderness In Paradise (non-fiction) / TRAGIC PARADISE By Idorenyin Matthew / Will You Meet Me In Paradise? The Story Of David (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 8:05pm On Apr 02, 2017
Ella u will surely regret this.
Re: Almost Paradise by ikombe: 10:37am On Apr 05, 2017
Abidx22:

Intermission The inevitability. .......
Quoting a whole episode

Re: Almost Paradise by BlissfulJeff(m): 7:04pm On Apr 05, 2017
nice piece dear
Re: Almost Paradise by whizbee(m): 1:22am On Apr 06, 2017
Nice story.... Updates oooo
Re: Almost Paradise by ruffhandu: 10:55am On Apr 07, 2017
One funny thing about life is: after the deed has been done, the doer(s) may receive punishment from nature/God, but the victim's sufferings would form an indelible scar in the victim's life, for history is unforgiven
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 10:10pm On Apr 07, 2017
Sorry peeps, will update tomorrow by God's grace...had a rather busy week.

Let's keep the thread alive with more comments.

@ruffhandu, you are right...yorubas will say : before the ground swallows an evil person, good things would have been spoilt! Nice to have you around bro.

Thanks, all you lovely peeps.
Re: Almost Paradise by bukolabeauty09(f): 10:33pm On Apr 08, 2017
candy:
Sorry peeps, will Update Tomorrow by God's grace...had a rather busy week.
well-done!!! let's say you'll update next week.....the suspense is fading out.

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by Precial419: 8:14pm On Apr 10, 2017
Nix story but abeg make lizy get accident if posible lose memory. going to jail is too much this woman has already suffered much
Re: Almost Paradise by Lolaabokoku(f): 9:49pm On Apr 11, 2017
Tomorrow never ends
Re: Almost Paradise by wizsolzy(m): 8:11am On Apr 12, 2017
Abidx22:

Intermission
The inevitability. .......

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 9:40am On Apr 12, 2017
I post this update with unreserved apology. Please bear with me as the delay is due to circumstances beyond my control. Please bear with me and watch as I make it up to you cool

***************************************************************************************************************

Chapter 20

Liz made her way through the crowd, pausing to talk to security personnels, cleaners and even relatives of passengers. She caught sight of a middle-aged woman wearing the uniform of a cleaning company and approached her. Calmly, she explained the situation to her, and stretched forth the brown envelope that contained the ids.

The woman’s gaze scanned the envelope suspiciously and shook her head. “Madam, we are not to collect anything from passengers,” She said and walked away.

“Sister,” She turned and paused for a moment, looking at the direction of the sound. It was Kunle, her younger brother that was supposed to come and pick the envelope. Relief washed over her as he walked towards the departure hall, his face creased in a smile. “I know you well enough, sister. I know you won’t get on that plane if you are not sure Tobi will get the envelope today. I had to leave my work and come immediately.”

Liz breathed a sigh of relief, “Thanks, Kunle. I was almost changing my mind about the trip. Where is your car?”

“I didn’t bring the car because of parking and traffic.”

“OK. Let’s go back to the hall, Deji is waiting and it’s almost boarding time.”

He pulled his hand out of his pant pocket and collected the envelope. They headed towards Deji where he waited patiently for her, her suitcase between his legs. Standing next to him was Dino, looking worn out and tired. He gesticulated with his hands and spoke words they couldn’t hear because of the distance.

Kunle creased his brows as they drew nearer to Dino and Kunle. He pulled his sister’s hands and said, “Is that not Dino talking to Uncle Deji?”

Liz tipped her head and twisted her mouth in an I-don’t-really-know way. “Maybe, maybe not. I just know he was the driver that brought us to Lagos and I wonder why he’s still here.”

Kunle increased his pace and was standing beside Dino in no time. “Dino!”

“Kunle!” Dino screamed in surprise. “Ore, what are you doing here? Longest time!”

Ignoring the stares of passersby, Kunle held Dino in a warm embrace, all smiles. “I thought you’ll be lecturing in one of these universities by now with all the brain. How far?” Don’t you remember my sister, Sister Liz? Awon ni yi now!”

Dino opened his mouth in shock, “Aunty Liz?” He prostrated respectfully before Liz. “Aunty, don’t you remember me? I used to come to your shop with Kunle during our UI days.”

Liz starred at Dino in surprise. He looked different; more matured, but still had the face on a closer look. “Dino, ba wo ni?”

“I’m fine o!” He answered and faced his friend, “I was the one that brought them fro Ibadan yesterday.” He pointed his finger at Dr Deji and Liz. “I work as a driver now.” He said with an air of resignation. “Still running my masters sha. You look nice, Kunle.”
Kunle smiled sadly and shook his head, “You had one of the best results in our set!”

“That’s naija o.” Liz chipped in foe Dino.

“Well, I work with

Dr Deji stood passive, taking cursory glance at them as the drama unfolded. He was getting hedgy and upset. An involuntary whimper of frustration escaped his lips as the three of them laughed and relieved old time stories. “We need to head for the boarding gate now, Liz.”

Dino leaned back and crossed his arms, regarding Dr Deji with a quizzical scrutiny. “Oga, please let me see you as per my settlement...” He eyed him.

“I thought I paid you earlier.” Dr Deji said, feigning ignorance. He gave a humourless laugh and pulled Liz’s arms, “Let’s go, dear. Kunle, take care.” He eyed Dino in a what-u-gonna-do-now manner. “Dino, give my regards to your boss.”

“Based on logistics, you can’t go like that sir! Aunty Liz is like my blood...hope you understand.”

“What’s going on, Deji?” Liz asked innocently. “Give Dino more money, you know he has been around since yester—“

“Doing what?” Dr Deji cut him short. “He stayed back on his own. Please let’s go, they are announcing our flight already.”
Liz opened her purse and counted some money. “Dino, I understand the situation of things in this country, please add this to whatever he gave you earlier.”

Dino heaved a sigh, his gaze lingering on Liz’s suitcase. “You can’t understand Aunty, but it’s not just about the money.” He turned to face Dr Deji. “Sir, kindly step aside, I want to talk to you.”

Dr Deji’s stomach clenched at the look on Dino’s face. “I know what you want, but I assure you I’ve taken care of it the best way possible. Unless you want us to discuss here, goodbye.”

Dino and Kunle watched as Dr Deji herded her through the small crowd towards the immigration stand. He shrugged his shoulders and resigned to fate, a tear almost dropped from his eyes. Why won’t this doctor let me help this good woman, he thought as he watched Kunle wave continuously at his sister's retreating figure.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Almost Paradise by queenitee(f): 9:52am On Apr 12, 2017
Awwwn,I can't wait...See now but I know Liz would be fine
Re: Almost Paradise by bossy512(f): 9:57am On Apr 12, 2017
Hmmm this life, no one to trust, thanks for d update, wehdone
Re: Almost Paradise by Abidx22(m): 1:07pm On Apr 12, 2017
Better be late than being the late.. ....Nice update as usual wink.......
Trust Liz won't fall victim of evil machinations of the sharks around her?
Re: Almost Paradise by BlissfulJeff(m): 2:33pm On Apr 12, 2017
nice.more updates pls
Re: Almost Paradise by Adesina12: 2:47pm On Apr 12, 2017
queenitee:
Awwwn,I can't wait...See now but I know Liz would be fine

I agree with u dearieeee

Candy listen to me if you want me to continue following this tory

Nothing must happen to Lizzy....do you hear me clear and loud?

I am waiting impatiently

No popcorn for you yet until you do what I told you

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by Skimpledawg(m): 10:30pm On Apr 12, 2017
More of it candy...

I still dey here
Re: Almost Paradise by Emmotion(m): 9:29am On Apr 13, 2017
is this the update u promised

damn...its too short
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 4:38pm On Apr 13, 2017
Manage this abeg...

************************************************************************************************

“What was that all about?” Kunle asked as they walked towards Dino’s car. He knew something was up between Dino and Dr Deji and he wondered if it has anything to do with his sister.

Dino fidgeted as held out the car key. “Em...no wahala ore, it’s nothing important.”
Kunle shrugged his shoulders and said, “If you say so.”

“I’m just wondering how I failed to recognize Aunty yesterday.” Dino tried to change the topic and make the atmosphere less tense. “It’s been like eleven years since we left school though. She has changed.”

Dino was a very brilliant guy in school and it’s quite a surprise he ended up a driver eleven years after graduation. “Out of curiosity, Dino, why didn’t you go for your masters since? You know D1 now, he’s a senior lecturer at Covenant, Chima is in UI, and many more who were not as smart as you were.”

“hmmm...such is life o. You remember Kunmi my school girlfriend now?”

“Who doesn’t? You were five and six that time.” Kunle saind and they both laughed.

“Well, she got pregnant during our service year, we got married and I kind of lost focus. The boy is ten now and I’m trying to get back on track.”

“Better late than never, Ore. I praise your courage.”

They chatted on about everything and everyone in the Lagos traffic and Kunle didn’t mention anything about his sister for the rest of the trip. Just as he was about to alight, they exchanged phone numbers and promised to stay in touch.

Dino put his hands in his pant pocket to bring out his phone and his fingers rested on a strange substance. Quickly, he brought it out and stared at it in surprise. “What the fck!” He screamed angrily, banging his fist on the innocent stearing.

“What is it?” Kunle asked, staring at the white folded paper, the object of his friend’s anger.

“Em...nothing jor...I forgot to drop this for my boss before leaving Ibadan.” He lied.

Kunle got down at his office and waved goodbye. Somehow, he could no longer trust Dino and Dr Deji, his sister’s new found companion.

Deji heaved a sigh of relief as he walked Liz through immigration and customs, towards the boarding gate. Once again, fate had intervened.

He had come to love and respect Liz more than he imagined when he agreed to come back to her. He didn’t feel too comfortable dropping the contraband in Dino’s pocket, but he couldn’t bring himself to put it in Liz’s suitcase as agreed. He was even more surprised when he didn’t notice. He thought he was street smart! Too bad if he is caught with the drug...one less bad guy on the street.

They joined the queue at the boarding gate and waited their turn to board. Liz glanced through the windows at the massive plane they waited to board.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almost Paradise by queenitee(f): 4:41pm On Apr 13, 2017
Awwwn,she has done it again.My Liz is safe...Thank youuuuu
Re: Almost Paradise by bossy512(f): 8:25pm On Apr 13, 2017
OMG, am happy for my Liz, she deserves happiness, thanks for d update
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 9:34pm On Apr 13, 2017
Harjibolar10,ruffhandu,Kingphilip,Hameenat94,Sexysapphire,Jennimma,Mariamferanmi ,QueenTolpatx ,zyzxx ,sammyomotola, calmdove,Rosytonia ,skimpledawg ,joliej ,bolajJP007 ,MaBuk ,YasirNasir,Missviva ,Missmossy ,debdave,tescoleps ,hassan85,seunviju,tsodjete,
yinksaid,Cestmoi1,Stuff46,Whizbee,Nancydearie ,Vijon,BashirAhmad1,snowangel4,Stonecoldcafe,fatalveli,Bblacky,teemanbastos,lenmafon,Thinezy,Boladex1,Amiablejudy,Plaitex,tfabu,Manuel180,gal10,telad,arheeda,MaBuk,estellar12,mohjisolah,Debbysky,booqee,fragilegal,Queenxtar,Jayminna,chumzypinky,Adesina12,queenitee,slimzjoe, holuwanoisy111, jupitre,bossy512, kajsa08, wizsolzy, waluga, jagugu88li, erichsmith

Food don' done o.
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 9:36pm On Apr 13, 2017
What's with the silence my people? Pls ejoo, no vex, I want you to leave your comments, biko.
Re: Almost Paradise by teel123(f): 10:14pm On Apr 13, 2017
candy:
Harjibolar10,ruffhandu,Kingphilip,Hameenat94,Sexysapphire,Jennimma,Mariamferanmi ,QueenTolpatx ,zyzxx ,sammyomotola, calmdove,Rosytonia ,skimpledawg ,joliej ,bolajJP007 ,MaBuk ,YasirNasir,Missviva ,Missmossy ,debdave,tescoleps ,hassan85,seunviju,tsodjete,
yinksaid,Cestmoi1,Stuff46,Whizbee,Nancydearie ,Vijon,BashirAhmad1,snowangel4,Stonecoldcafe,fatalveli,Bblacky,teemanbastos,lenmafon,Thinezy,Boladex1,Amiablejudy,Plaitex,tfabu,Manuel180,gal10,telad,arheeda,MaBuk,estellar12,mohjisolah,Debbysky,booqee,fragilegal,Queenxtar,Jayminna,chumzypinky,Adesina12,queenitee,slimzjoe, holuwanoisy111, jupitre,bossy512, kajsa08, wizsolzy, waluga, jagugu88li, erichsmith

Food don' done o.
its not my concern oooo. Great work but be constant with the. Update.
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 10:36pm On Apr 13, 2017
Hmmm thank God , Liz is safe
Re: Almost Paradise by dupsai(f): 10:40pm On Apr 13, 2017
Whao, this is beautiful! I'm loving this, thanks Candy.
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 11:07pm On Apr 13, 2017
candy:

Food don' done o.
Thank God Dr.Deji didn't put it in her bag Ooo. I for just dey cry.
He's beginning to 'love' her,i guess.

Make Dino just jejely keep quiet Oo.

Thanks for the mention candy.
#stillFollowing#
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 8:04am On Apr 14, 2017
Thank you Kunle for showing up............chai

Dr. Deji is evidently unreliable or I'm just being selfish. I mean, if he really wanted to save her as he claims to love her, shouldn't he had just gave himself up? Not plant think of planting the drugs and take the fall......if it wasn't for Kunle identifying Dino, Liz would be singing sorrowful songs in that prison cell.
Re: Almost Paradise by kajsa08: 8:16am On Apr 14, 2017
candy:

Food don' done o.
WOW, so much suspense. thanks for saving liz.
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 4:59pm On Apr 14, 2017
jagugu88li:
Thank you Kunle for showing up............chai

Dr. Deji is evidently unreliable or I'm just being selfish. I mean, if he really wanted to save her as he claims to love her, shouldn't he had just gave himself up? Not plant think of planting the drugs and take the fall......if it wasn't for Kunle identifying Dino, Liz would be singing sorrowful songs in that prison cell.

He was caught between the devil and the deep blue sea! Somehow, I pity Dino, I hope the drug is not found on him undecided
Re: Almost Paradise by saraphina(f): 9:22pm On Apr 14, 2017
candy:

He was caught between the devil and the deep blue sea! Somehow, I pity Dino, I hope the drug is not found on him undecided

ma I jus tell u,ma u no try am send Dino go prison oo if not eehhhnn....
Re: Almost Paradise by whizbee(m): 2:10am On Apr 15, 2017
Wow, I'm loving this

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (27) (Reply)

Nigerian Story - Chocolates And Sushi / The Carpenter, The Witch And The Mysterious Mirrow / Black Maria 4 (Nemesis)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.