Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,807,999 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:09 AM

Almost Paradise - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Almost Paradise (142973 Views)

Wilderness In Paradise (non-fiction) / TRAGIC PARADISE By Idorenyin Matthew / Will You Meet Me In Paradise? The Story Of David (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Almost Paradise by ikombe: 8:05pm On Feb 09, 2017
Intresting write up
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 8:36pm On Feb 09, 2017
Thanks for the mention jagugu88li, hope I'm free from Sango's visit cheesy Nice work Candy, I'm definitely following smiley
Re: Almost Paradise by SunFlow(m): 8:42pm On Feb 09, 2017
what a candy and candid literally piece.
Please don't ask me the of those grammers
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 10:04am On Feb 10, 2017
***** cool**********************************************************************
FIVE

Otunba lay on the bed, propped up on a pillow. A white handkerchief was draped across his forehead, the buttons of his blue shirt undone, the knot of his tie down his chest, his trouser in a heap on the floor, near the black weather beaten shoes he had worn to Lagos.

“What’s wrong, dear?” Mrs Liz Jayeola asked. She sat a few feet from her husband, on a single chair originally part of their dinning set. The tension in the room was so thick it weighed on both of them.

“Nothing,” He answered glumly.

“Ha ba, Otunba!” His wife said, “Something must have happened at the meeting. You left this house in high spirits this morning.” She moved her chair close to him on the bed, so she could touch him.

Otunba looked at his wife. The woman he had come to love so much. She wore a pair of jeans and yellow tank top, her long hair, marked by a few grey strands was let down and the tip touched her shoulders. At just about five feet, five inches, he considered her short for his six feet an inch height. But he had married her for her good nature, and had come to adore her and find her extremely attractive over the years. Despite his extremely good looks, he never cheated on her and he never lied to her. But today? He knew he had to keep the truth to himself. Or so he thought.

His expression turned grim as he faced her. The elastic band of his boxer's short suddenly felt tighter, and he pulled it down a bit. “The ceo gave us a tough condition we can’t agree with. She...he...wants us to erect buildings on a carnal, and when I pointed out the danger, he got angry and cancelled the contract.” He said.

“I’m proud of you dear.” Liz said. “You don’t need to brood over that, it’s their loss! Let them get an engineer that will build their houses on the river.”

Otunba heaved a long sigh and buried his head on her laps. “I appreciate those uplifting words.” The muffled sound rendered his words barely audible.

“Let’s go and eat now, the children are waiting.”

“That’s okay,” He raised his head and smiled for the first time since he stormed out of Ella’s office earlier in the day.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 10:10am On Feb 10, 2017

Johnson Jayeola was as handsome as she remembered, and maybe even more, Ella thought. She had it all planned carefully, beginning with the contract awarded to his company, to the scholarship awarded to her daughter, Darasimi, and many more machineries already in motion. She hated that name, Darasimi. She had named her Helena.

She reclined her seat and lifted the cup of red wine to her lips, took a few sips and dropped it on a statuary-marble side stool. She admired the beautiful landscape and the fresh evening breeze that swept across the garden, blowing through her ultra short pink cotton dress. The house was a sizeable white duplex with a blend of hibiscus flower and jungle geranium along the front, bordering the brick walkway. A white range rover sport sat in the drive way, while a blue Toyota corolla and a red camry ‘muscle’ sat in the slightly open garage.

She had made a fortune out of her marriage to chief Williams. Until his death a year earlier, she had lived with him and managed his businesses after he lost his first wife and son in a plane crash. After his death, she had inherited one of his businesses- Pacific Investments, the duplex, two other buildings, three state of the art cars and a few millions in cash. She never had a child for him- of course, before she met him, she had aborted five pregnancies, and the last one had almost taken her life. At forty three, she had it all- money, influence, face and body like a thirty-year-old. All she needed was her daughter and Jay, and she was determined to get them back in her life.

“Good evening, ma.” Goodness, her cook greeted from the kitchen door that opened to the garden. “Dinner is ready ma.”

Ella nodded. “I will be there in thirty minutes.”

“Okay, ma.” Goodness curtseyed and went back inside.

Ella picked her iphone and scrolled to Baby on her contact, and dialled.

The phone rang to cut the first three dials. She was overjoyed when on the fourth ring, she heard a gruffy ‘hello’.

“Hello, Jay.” She said with a smile.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 10:12am On Feb 10, 2017
ikombe:
Intresting write up
Thanks

SunFlow:
what a candy and candid literally piece.

Please don't ask me the of those grammers
Thanks for the compliments jare, welcome on board.
Re: Almost Paradise by tusinsola(f): 10:24am On Feb 10, 2017
Love the storyline.keep it up.
Re: Almost Paradise by Adesina12: 10:57am On Feb 10, 2017
This for you alone
Keep it coming

1 Share

Re: Almost Paradise by Chumzypinky(f): 12:10pm On Feb 10, 2017
Now Ella is here to reap where she has nt sown
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 12:54pm On Feb 10, 2017
tusinsola:
Love the storyline.keep it up.
Thanks mam.

Adesina12:
This for you alone
Keep it coming
Abeg, help me change that guiness to orijin 0 or Malta guiness.

Chumzypinky:
Now Ella is here to reap where she has nt sown
I hope Otunba is man enough to avoid her. But will?
Re: Almost Paradise by Adesina12: 3:49pm On Feb 10, 2017
candy:

Abeg, help me change that guiness to orijin 0 or Malta guiness.

LMBO....... grin
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 5:40pm On Feb 10, 2017
Adesina12:
This for you alone
Keep it coming
Abeg do fast bring my own pop corn and one origin zero.... I don park here .
Re: Almost Paradise by t1976(f): 5:54pm On Feb 10, 2017
Ella cannot eat her cake and have it.Nice story,following kneely
Re: Almost Paradise by Missmossy(f): 8:39pm On Feb 10, 2017
This Ella is evil, keep it coming Candy. More wisdom and strength to you. Still following.
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 5:28pm On Feb 11, 2017
SIX

Ella ran a hand through her hair as she sat at the kitchen table looking out the window. She was visiting her mum in the three bedroom bungalow she just bought for her in Ibadan. The afternoon sun shone through the window and she stood up to draw the blinds. She watched her mother shout instructions at the maid.

Just then, her mum turned to her. “Have you heard from him?” She wiped her hands on one of the handtowels near the plate rack. No point mentioning names, she knew who she meant. They never stopped talking about him in the past two weeks.

“No, mum,” she said with a frown. “I don’t know what to do again!” It has been two weeks and no word from him, he never picked her calls unless she used a strange number and he always disconnected the calls on hearing her voice. As usual, she turned to other men to fill the void. Yet she missed him so much.

“And Helena?”

“She got the scholarship but didn’t attend the dinner in honour of the recipients.”
Mrs Philips frowned. She sat down opposite her daughter and opened a packet of Chivita ice tea juice. “Didn’t you tell her HOD everything is because of Helena?”

“Of course I didn’t tell him she was my daughter, Jay will go berserk if he gets to know I’ve already met Helena.”

Mrs Philip rubbed her nose. It was what she always did when she was in deep thought. “You need to step up and get my granddaughter from that silly woman.”

Ella got on her feet in anger. “Mum, you stop the charade right now. If you had shown this much concern for your ‘granddaughter’ twenty two years ago, we won’t be having this discussion now.”

“And you would have been selling rice and beans in a small shop somewhere in Ibadan.” Mrs Philip said, anger evident in her voice.

“And you think I won’t be happier that way?” She asked, her voice raised a pitch higher now.
Realising that they might have forgotten she was still in the kitchen, Maggi, the maid, cleared her throat loudly. “The soup don done, ma” She said, almost on her knees.

“Get out!” She threw the remaining ice tea on Maggi who was visibly shaking on her feet. “Olofofo.”
Maggi scampered out of the kitchen, leaving the ‘done’ soup on the burner.

“Maggi!” Ella shouted, “Who will bring the soup from the fire?”

She rushed back in and turned off the burner. She rushed back outside immediately.

Ella’s phone rang on the table. She checked the caller id and saw ‘Baby’. Jay had finally called. She opened the kitchen door and stepped into the small garden behind the kitchen.

“Hello, Darling.” She said.

"Who is that?" Mrs Philips asked in a whisper.

"Jay" Ella mouthed, hand over the mouth piece.

“Hello, Mrs Williams,” Jay said on the other end.

“Why have you been avoiding me, Jay?” Ella asked.

“Please leave my family alone, I beg you.” Otunba pleaded. “My wife and daughter are curious about the scholarship awarded by Pacific Investments. She’s number seven in her department, not one of the best three---”

“But she’s still one of the best.” She cut him short.

“I know you won’t like any scandal, so let’s avoid it.”

“Let’s talk about this tomorrow, I’m in a meeting right now and I can’t talk much. Any place of your choice in Ibadan. Let’s get this over with.”

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 5:36pm On Feb 11, 2017
What do you think about the proposed meeting? Yay or Nay? Happy weekend, ya all wink

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by saraphina(f): 6:34pm On Feb 11, 2017
nay/yay...the solution lies wit u Candy......
Re: Almost Paradise by damis28crown(f): 7:04pm On Feb 11, 2017
[quote author=candy post=53489757]@empress101, chumzypinky, missmossy, ROYH, Adesina12, harameede99, holuwanoisy111, johnwizey, damis28crown, jagugu88li, you guys are all welcome. Update loading. Keep the comments coming. am here o followin til d end keep d gud wrk i luv ur story
Re: Almost Paradise by wizsolzy(m): 5:24am On Feb 12, 2017
i tot i warned about dis pop corn of a tin ... puwise dont ret me rerease sum rin ro undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Almost Paradise by yorhmienerd(m): 6:44am On Feb 12, 2017
This is cool. As for the proposed meeting, Yay! jugugu88li, thanks for the mention, just saw it now.
Re: Almost Paradise by harameede99(f): 1:59pm On Feb 12, 2017
Adesina12:

What kinda prove you want?
anyhow u want to
Re: Almost Paradise by damis28crown(f): 2:30pm On Feb 12, 2017
let im meet her nd gt it don wth jare dis ella gt wahala o
Re: Almost Paradise by Chumzypinky(f): 4:38pm On Feb 12, 2017
Ah, ma'am u changed the title of the story? There's a story written here by Bibijay123 that goes by the same title...
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 8:35pm On Feb 12, 2017
Chumzypinky:
Ah, ma'am u changed the title of the story? There's a story written here by Bibijay123 that goes by the same title...
Thanks for the info. This was actually the original title, but I thought I once saw a story with same title, so I changed to almost paradise. But I searched yesterday for a story titled 'almost petfect' and my search came up with none, that was why I changed it to its original title.

I wonder why nairaland search engine didn't come up with bibijay's story. Thanks all the same, I guess we revert back to almost paradise.
Re: Almost Paradise by Chumzypinky(f): 9:55pm On Feb 12, 2017
candy:

Thanks for the info. This was actually the original title, but I thought I once saw a story with same title, so I changed to almost paradise. But I searched yesterday for a story titled 'almost petfect' and my search came up with none, that was why I changed it to its original title.

I wonder why nairaland search engine didn't come up with bibijay's story. Thanks all the same, I guess we revert back to almost paradise
thats because Bibijay123's story has d tag #Nlwriters, try again with Almost perfect#Nlwriters
Re: Almost Paradise by bibijay123(f): 11:44pm On Feb 12, 2017
candy:

I wonder why nairaland search engine didn't come up with bibijay's story. Thanks all the same, I guess we revert back to almost paradise.

Hi dear. I dont think there's anything bad in two stories having the same title as long as the plots are different... Please don't change the title because of my story, do so only if you see the need for it.

1 Like

Re: Almost Paradise by Adesina12: 8:10am On Feb 13, 2017
harameede99:
anyhow u want to

What about asking you out for lunch/dinner?

Check mail box for details.... wink

Cold Smirnoff with sweet popcorn on the table
Re: Almost Paradise by harameede99(f): 12:37pm On Feb 13, 2017
Adesina12:

What about asking you out for lunch/dinner?
Check mail box for details.... wink
Cold Smirnoff with sweet popcorn on the table
owk dear no problem abt dat
Re: Almost Paradise by prisiliveth: 6:10pm On Feb 13, 2017
some women can be so @less,more update pls
Re: Almost Paradise by ruffhandu: 11:17am On Feb 14, 2017
candy:
Where really are you guys?

ruffhandu

Just saw this last night my dear. Been a long while.
Re: Almost Paradise by Nobody: 6:32am On Feb 15, 2017
@Adesina12 and harameede99, how was yesterday? wink tongue

ruffhandu:

Just saw this last night my dear. Been a long while.
Really long. I always appreciate your comments on my threads. Good to have you here.

bibijay123:

Hi dear. I dont think there's anything bad in two stories having the same title as long as the plots are different... Please don't change the title because of my story, do so only if you see the need for it.
I think it's against nairaland rules, besides, it's better to have different titles for clarity sake. Thanks all the same, you are a dear.

prisiliveth:
some women can be so @less,more update pls
Don't mind them sad
I hope Jay overcomes the temptation.

@all, update in a bit. Have a fun filled day.

2 Likes

Re: Almost Paradise by officialdiam(m): 7:58am On Feb 15, 2017
Love this.....candy nice write up

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (27) (Reply)

Nigerian Story - Chocolates And Sushi / The Carpenter, The Witch And The Mysterious Mirrow / Black Maria 4 (Nemesis)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.