Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,017 members, 7,799,472 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:02 PM

The True Definition Of Righteousness - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The True Definition Of Righteousness (789 Views)

Rewards Of Righteousness / True Definition Of Sin. / Jesus, the Son Of God, Is The Sun Of Righteousness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The True Definition Of Righteousness by otemanuduno: 5:11am On Feb 03, 2017
Many people have muddled up the true definition of righteousness. They confuse it with the concept of holiness(scam). According to the Doctufos Of Truth:
DOCTUFOS:
16. Therefore I say, righteousness is doing what is right to others, no matter what you believe in. And they who do not believe in any god can be righteous also if they do what is right among their fellow homos.
17. And I say this, that a time would come when righteousness shall be measured by the amount of goodness and help a homo has rendered to humanity and the Universe rather than the amount of time he spends invoking a god for help.
18. For great help do not come from a god to the homos, but from a homo to another homo comes greater help, according to the capacity of that helper.[/b]

So Hahn could be more righteous than 4evergod aka 4ever419
Akintom could be more righteous than Felixmor
Seun could be more righteous than Kingebukasblog(at least we can see the righteousness in the decision he took by taking the RIGHT step to learn web design and give us this very helpful platform.)
Lepasharon could be more righteous than Anas09 grin

Righteousness is doing what is right, while Holiness is doing what a god told you to do, whether it is right or wrong, e.g you are Holy if you kill someone Yahweh has ordered you to kill, but you are righteous if you refuse to kill anyone when a god told you to do so.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by pressplay411(m): 6:35am On Feb 03, 2017
Who determines what is right or wrong?

Is drinking right?
Is masturbation right?
When you fight wars, is killing then some times right?
Homosexuality hurts no one, religion aside is it wrong?

Agreed there's a need to disambiguate righteousness and holiness but who then determines what is righteous?
Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by ITbomb(m): 7:17am On Feb 03, 2017
I will disagree with you slightly especially your last conclusive statement
Righteousness is doing what is right, while Holiness is doing what a god told you to do, whether it is right or wrong, e.g you are Holy if you kill someone Yahweh has ordered you to kill, but you are righteous if you refuse to kill anyone when a god told you to do so.

I take it that you dont believe in the Bible but for the sake of the definitive words (righteousness and holiness) lets use the Bible as the ex ratione.

My Bible role model is King David because he was truly Yahweh's vessel of action and did what was right in the sight of Yahweh, however, there is a place where he came back from battle and was hungry and had to eat that which was forbidden for him and his men to eat because the food there was reserved for the holy men (Never kill or gave themselves to women). 1 Samuel 21:5-6

If you look at the Hebrew society, you will noticed that the people set aside as priests (Levi) and considered as Holy men NEVER went to war, even when they march into battle with the soldiers, they were there as spiritual motivators and never involved in the battle. It is said. "“They shall teach Your laws to Jacob and Your instructions to Israel” (Deut. 33:10). Therefore they were set aside from the ways of the world: they do not go to war, as do the rest of Israel".

Therefore righteousness is doing what is right in the sight of God in your everyday life and what is right is captured in the "Greatest Commandment" as given by Him that is called The Christ (Matt 22:37 & Rom 13:8-10), and this "commandment" does not mean you must be a Christian to keep, even as atheist is expected to "Owe no man anything, save to love one another, for he that loveth his neighbor hath fulfilled the law".
And also understand that the righteous man can take wife or go to war to defend the people of God

BUT

A holy man is set aside from the ways of the world: they do not go to war nor take wives, they instruct the righteous on the ways of the Lord.
Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by otemanuduno: 3:01pm On Feb 03, 2017
ITbomb:

I take it that you dont believe in the Bible but for the sake of the definitive words (righteousness and holiness) lets use the Bible as the ex ratione.

My Bible role model is King David because he was truly Yahweh's vessel of action and did what was right in the sight of Yahweh, however, there is a place where he came back from battle and was hungry and had to eat that which was forbidden for him and his men to eat because the food there was reserved for the holy men (Never kill or gave themselves to women). 1 Samuel 21:5-6

If you look at the Hebrew society, you will noticed that the people set aside as priests (Levi) and considered as Holy men NEVER went to war, even when they march into battle with the soldiers, they were there as spiritual motivators and never involved in the battle. It is said. "“They shall teach Your laws to Jacob and Your instructions to Israel” (Deut. 33:10). Therefore they were set aside from the ways of the world: they do not go to war, as do the rest of Israel".

Therefore righteousness is doing what is right in the sight of God in your everyday life and what is right is captured in the "Greatest Commandment" as given by Him that is called The Christ (Matt 22:37 & Rom 13:8-10), and this "commandment" does not mean you must be a Christian to keep, even as atheist is expected to "Owe no man anything, save to love one another, for he that loveth his neighbor hath fulfilled the law".
And also understand that the righteous man can take wife or go to war to defend the people of God

BUT

A holy man is set aside from the ways of the world: they do not go to war nor take wives, they instruct the righteous on the ways of the Lord.

Abraham almost sacrificed his son and it was counted to him as Holiness. Jephta killed Ophah his son for ritual and he is regarded ad being holy. That's the definition of Holiness. Do things or Kill without common sense.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by realmindz: 9:25pm On Feb 03, 2017
ITbomb:

BUT

I agree perfectly with otemanuduno.

what is sin? And what is holiness?
sin is doing contrary to what you have been told.

for example, a Muslim will never eat pork because his religion forbids and when he does he commits sin while to you it's no sin.
a Jehovah witness wont celebrate birthday because it's Sin
and when they commit they believe eyes are watching them and they beg for forgiveness..

Righteousness is applying common sense to judge good from bad and not obeying some laws or fear of some gods.

Nice one otem
Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by HCpaul(m): 9:39pm On Feb 03, 2017
pressplay411:

Is drinking right?
Is masturbation right?

Agreed there's a need to disambiguate righteousness and holiness but who then determines what is righteous?

But angelic rapes are right as permitted by your God.
When David killed someone else's husband because he wanted to marry the woman, it was overlooked by Yahweh. David is truly a man after Yahweh's heart just that both are adulterers. God also instructed Onan to sleep with his brothers wife. Lots daughters also slept with their father. Jacob had a concubine. Solomon had hundreds of concubines and he was still able to be the wisest man in the Bible. Finally, Abraham (the father of faith) got married to his maid.

Get it right, drinking is right cuz you and I drink everyday. Once you do not drink away your common sense, you are a good drinker. Drinking too much of water is as bad as drinking too much of wine.

Masturbation on the other hand is not a crime. It helps common adults and sex starved youths to control themselves. It also helps to reduce rape. It's only not recommended whenever it becomes an addiction 'the same way we can be addicted to any other thing/act when we get too attached'. Besides, that is far more better than the crimes committed in the Bible.

Let's just be sane and let's realize that we are human.

Please don't by misconception think that atheists indulge in those acts.... We are not just silly to criticize them.
Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by pressplay411(m): 10:05pm On Feb 03, 2017
HCpaul:

But angelic rapes are right as permitted by your God.
When David killed someone else's husband because he wanted to marry the woman, it was overlooked by Yahweh. David is truly a man after Yahweh's heart just that both are adulterers. God also instructed Onan to sleep with his brothers wife. Lots daughters also slept with their father. Jacob had a concubine. Solomon had hundreds of concubines and he was still able to be the wisest man in the Bible. Finally, Abraham (the father of faith) got married to his maid.

Get it right, drinking is right cuz you and I drink everyday. Once you do not drink away your common sense, you are a good drinker. Drinking too much of water is as bad as drinking too much of wine.

Masturbation on the other hand is not a crime. It helps common adults and sex starved youths to control themselves. It also helps to reduce rape. It's only not recommended whenever it becomes an addiction 'the same way we can be addicted to any other thing/act when we get too attached'. Besides, that is far more better than the crimes committed in the Bible.

Let's just be sane and let's realize that we are human.

Please don't by misconception think that atheists indulge in those acts.... We are not just silly to criticize them.

I can't help but notice you said nothing about Homosexuality?
Was that an oversight or to you it's right?
Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by ifenes(m): 11:16pm On Feb 03, 2017
Sin is only applicable to religious folks. Paying your rent rather paying than your tithe is a sin. Common sense demands your secure your shelter but a religious mind would rather sleep outside than provoke the pastor/ his illusionary god.

1 Like

Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by realmindz: 6:35am On Feb 04, 2017
ifenes:
Sin is only applicable to religious folks. Paying your rent rather paying than your tithe is a sin. Common sense demands your secure your shelter but a religious mind would rather sleep outside than provoke the pastor/ his illusionary god.

exactly, while a Muslim pays no tithe and he is considered holy but there is holy jihad

Simply put , holiness is doing what you have been told regardless of what is right.
Morality/ righteousness is doing what is simply right judging with common sense and conscience.

Holiness is to religion and hypocrisy
Righteousness is to morality, common sense and judgment.

A holy person makes mistake and calls it a sin, runs to his gods for forgiveness not to lose favour and fear of being punished.

A righteous person makes mistakes and knows that mistake is a part of humanity, learns from them, apply his common sense to improve on them for a better future.

A holy person will rather watch his fellow human suffer and obey his gods e.g. his tithe belongs to Yaweh alone when his neighbor or brother is in need. Or someone cursing another for gods or killing another for his gods.

A righteous person will do what is right to help humanity rather than gods
Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by realmindz: 7:01am On Feb 04, 2017
pressplay411:

Is drinking right?
Is masturbation right?

Righteousness is simply applying your conscience and common sense.
Righteousness is to humanity
Holiness is to religion/gods
a holy person will rather do things that pleases his gods than do things that favour humanity.
For example, a Jehovah witness will never sing national anthem because it's a sin when a patriotic citizen will.
A patriotic citizen of Nigeria won't support homosexuality either.
Some religions are anti-civilisation and the followers will do everything to enforce them against humanity causing backwardness. That's holiness.
Some people don't use drugs believing it's a sin and their gods will cure them, that's holinesss.

I know for me, the doctor has advised against alcoholic drink, and I go ahead to drink and have serious consequences...then I am facing the consequences of my actions not a god punishing me, next time I will apply my common sense not to drink.
well a doctor advised you to take a table spoon of strong wine every night for your health condition, you say alcohol is a sin and you refuse. That's Holiness, doing what you are told just to please your god wether right for you or wrong
Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by pressplay411(m): 8:11am On Feb 04, 2017
realmindz:

Righteousness is simply applying your conscience and common sense.
Righteousness is to humanity
Holiness is to religion/gods
a holy person will rather do things that pleases his gods than do things that favour humanity.
For example, a Jehovah witness will never sing national anthem because it's a sin when a patriotic citizen will.
A patriotic citizen of Nigeria won't support homosexuality either.
Some religions are anti-civilisation and the followers will do everything to enforce them against humanity causing backwardness. That's holiness.
Some people don't use drugs believing it's a sin and their gods will cure them, that's holinesss.

I know for me, the doctor has advised against alcoholic drink, and I go ahead to drink and have serious consequences...then I am facing the consequences of my actions not a god punishing me, next time I will apply my common sense not to drink.
well a doctor advised you to take a table spoon of strong wine every night for your health condition, you say alcohol is a sin and you refuse. That's Holiness, doing what you are told just to please your god wether right for you or wrong

"Righteousness is simply applying your conscience and common sense." according to you.

So every one decides what he deems Righteous, by your definition.
A graduate loses his job, he has a wife and kids to feed with another baby on the way. He's tried to play by the rules, applied for jobs, even picked up a menial job to make ends meet but his boss delays his payment, maybe cos the economy is bad so business is bad or the guy mistakenly damage company property, bottom line he's not paid.
He ends up alone in the office one night, sees a briefcase, "borrows" N300,000 to solve his family issues.
To him, that was Right, how could he let his family starve to death?

Was that Righteous? If nabbed, should he be arrested and jailed?
Should he have let his family starve to death?
Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by realmindz: 8:21am On Feb 04, 2017
pressplay411:

"Righteousness is simply applying your conscience and common sense.
"
So every one decides what he deems Righteous, by your definition.
An a graduate loses his job, he has a wife and kids to feed with another baby on the way. He's tried to play by the rules, applied for jobs, even picked up a menial job to make ends meet but his boss delays his payment, maybe cos the economy is bad so business is bad or the guy mistakenly damage company property, bottom line he's not paid.
He ends up alone in the office one night, sees a briefcase, "borrows" N300,000 to solve his family issues.
To him, that was Right, how could he let his family starve to death?

Was that Righteous? If nabbed, should he be arrested and jailed?
Should he have let his family starve to death?

he committed a crime, he broke the law and he will face the consequences of his actions.
He might choose to learn from his mistakes and seek better means of solving his problems rather than theft..

We humans have made laws for ourselves regarding this situation and we dont need the gods or religion to tell us what to do.

don't get it confused, no one is perfect and our sense of judgement may be wrong, we can only learn to improve over our past, but the foolish will never learn. That's different from holiness where you try to live by a standard of religion amd laws written by gods imposing holiness

Will you choose righteousness or holiness?

pleasing your god/religion over your fellow man and/or laws made by men for societal benefits.

Will you give your tithe to church when your neighbour is in need?

A colleague at work is celebrating a birthday, everyone wished him happy birthday except a certain Jehovah witness who will never wish him because he his being holy....He is pleasing his god/doctrine over human. That is holiness

Are you righteous or holy?
Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by otemanuduno: 9:53am On Feb 04, 2017
realmindz:

he committed a crime, he broke the law and he will face the consequences of his actions.
He might choose to learn from his mistakes and seek better means of solving his problems rather than theft..

We humans have made laws for ourselves regarding this situation and we dont need the gods or religion to tell us what to do.

don't get it confused, no one is perfect and our sense of judgement may be wrong, we can only learn to improve over our past, but the foolish will never learn. That's different from holiness where you try to live by a standard of religion amd laws written by gods imposing holiness

pleasing your god/religion over your fellow man and/or laws made by men for societal benefits.

A colleague at work is celebrating a birthday, everyone wished him happy birthday except a certain Jehovah witness who will never wish him because he his being holy....He is pleasing his god/doctrine over human. That is holiness

I couldn't have said it better. I really admire your brain.
Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by pressplay411(m): 3:12pm On Feb 04, 2017
realmindz:

I never claimed to be either. I can only strive to be Morally Righteous. Holiness is a status I consider impossible to attain cos how can any one claim to be Perfect and Flawless in deed, utterance and in thought?

Even if one achieves Holiness in deed and utterance, it's impossible to keep your thoughts holy in this sinful world where you can't even control what you're exposed to.

However Moral Righteousness is a factor of Geography. What's morally right varies across cultures/tribe/country/race as you rightly adjudged it to societal and human discretion.

So technically no one can even be morally righteous. You can only be morally righteous in your locality.lol
Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by realmindz: 3:37pm On Feb 04, 2017
pressplay411:

I never claimed to be either. I can only strive to be Morally Righteous. Holiness is a status I consider impossible to attain cos how can any one claim to be Perfect and Flawless in deed, utterance and in thought?

Even if one achieves Holiness in deed and utterance, it's impossible to keep your thoughts holy in this sinful world where you can't even control what you're exposed to.

However Moral Righteousness is a factor of Geography. What's morally right varies across cultures/tribe/country/race as you rightly adjudged it to societal and human discretion.

So technically no one can even be morally righteous. You can only be morally righteous in your locality.lol

To say one obeys boundary between righteousness and Holiness, then it is Holiness.

Righteousness is simply to humanity, every human has a conscience.

Holiness is to religion, what is right to a Muslim is a sin to a Christian.
That which is a sin to a Jehovah witness is right to a Catholic
A deeper life wont use earrings because it's sinful etc and it gets so complicated.

Holiness brings division even within homes, a Jehovah witness won't attend functions of a Catholic, a Muslim parent disown their daughter because she wish to marry a Christian etc

Righteousness brings humanity together.

Let me ask you, Holy Elisha cursed 40 little kids for mocking him and they were devoured by bears, is it righteous?

Would you have done the same?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The True Definition Of Righteousness by otemanuduno: 9:38am On Feb 05, 2017
realmindz:

To say one obeys boundary between righteousness and Holiness, then it is Holiness.

Righteousness is simply to humanity, every human has a conscience.

Holiness is to religion, what is right to a Muslim is a sin to a Christian.
That which is a sin to a Jehovah witness is right to a Catholic
A deeper life wont use earrings because it's sinful etc and it gets so complicated.

Holiness brings division even within homes, a Jehovah witness won't attend functions of a Catholic, a Muslim parent disown their daughter because she wish to marry a Christian etc

Righteousness brings humanity together.

Let me ask you, Holy Elisha cursed 40 little kids for mocking him and they were devoured by bears, is it righteous?

Would you have done the same?
I like, share and doff my hat for this post.

1 Like 3 Shares

(1) (Reply)

I Need Your Advice Please / Proof To Muslims That Jesus Is God. / Share Your Experience You Have Had With A Fake Pastor Or Prophet

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.