Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,812 members, 7,798,739 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:36 AM

Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? (717 Views)

Palm Wine In Islam / Sallah Cow Forced Into A Small Car Ahead Of Eid-el-Kabir Celebration / Cousin Marriage in Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by Crownadex(m): 10:14am On Feb 03, 2017
As salam alykum my elders in islam ... please I need an explanation on this topic bcz I was told 4rm a friend of mine that Valentine day it's not acceptable in islam . Though he didn't have any evidence to back it up either from Qur'an or hadhith but I wish to knw if it's true or not
Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by abatisegun: 10:19am On Feb 03, 2017
No. It has no bases in Islam. It is a form of innovation initiated by non Muslims. A good Muslim must desist from it so as not to attract the wrath of Allah.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by Nobody: 10:23am On Feb 03, 2017
wa alaikum salam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh brother

Your friend is right and there are a variety of reasons why it isn't permitted.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen on celebrating Valentione mentioned:

Celebrating Valentine’s Day is not permissible for a number of reasons.

1- It is an innovated festival for which there is no basis in Islam.

2- It promotes love and infatuation.

3- It calls for hearts to be preoccupied with foolish matters that are contrary to the way of the righteous salaf (may Allaah be pleased with them).

It is not permissible on this day to do any of the things that are characteristic of this festival, whether that has to do with food, drinks, clothing, exchanging gifts or anything else.

The Muslim should be proud of his religion and should not be a weak character who follows every Tom, Dick and Harry. I ask Allaah to protect the Muslims from all temptations, visible and invisible, and to protect us and guide us.

End quote from Majmoo’ Fataawa al-Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (16/199)

You can read more about it here https://islamqa.info/en/73007

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by Crownadex(m): 10:34am On Feb 03, 2017
snapscore:

3- It calls for hearts to be preoccupied with foolish matters that are contrary to the way of the righteous salaf (may Allaah be pleased with them).

It is not permissible on this day to do any of the things that are characteristic of this festival, whether that has to do with food, drinks, clothing, exchanging gifts or anything else.

The Muslim should be proud of his religion and should not be a weak character who follows every Tom, Dick and Harry. I ask Allaah to protect the Muslims from all temptations, visible and invisible, and to protect us and guide us.

thanks sir
Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by AbuuBilaal(m): 7:48pm On Feb 03, 2017
snapscore:

Some added clarifications:

#on your first point, many people don't know that eid usually translated as festival means something that returns yearly, and the basic ruling regarding any eid is that only Allah has the right to make a place or time an eid.
The messenger of Allah alyhissolaat wassalaam met the people of Madina celebrating two eids every year and he told them Allah has replaced them with two better one.
So only Allah has the right to call a place or time eid.

Secondly, someone might say, my dad is my val or my mum or wife so I'm not being lustful, we say that this evil festival has its foundation built upon lust and every other aspect of it is secondary.

Then also it involves imitating the disbelievers in their acts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by Crownadex(m): 12:53am On Feb 04, 2017
AbuuBilaal:

Some added clarifications:

#on your first point, many people don't know that eid usually translated as festival means something that returns yearly, and the basic ruling regarding any eid is that only Allah has the right to make a place or time an eid.
The messenger of Allah alyhissolaat wassalaam met the people of Madina celebrating two eids every year and he told them Allah has replaced them with two better one.
So only Allah has the right to call a place or time eid.

Secondly, someone might say, my dad is my val or my mum or wife so I'm not being lustful, we say that this evil festival has its foundation built upon lust and every other aspect of it is secondary.

Then also it involves imitating the disbelievers in their acts.

Jazaaka llahu khaerah but what about Birthday celebration ?
Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by AbuuBilaal(m): 3:46am On Feb 04, 2017
Crownadex:
Jazaaka llahu khaerah but what about Birthday celebration ?

Aameen wa iyyaak, it also takes a similar ruling. Please see islamqa.com for details.

1 Like

Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by Crownadex(m): 12:12pm On Feb 04, 2017
AbuuBilaal:

Aameen wa iyyaak, it also takes a similar ruling. Please see islamqa.com for details.
Alright sir , though I still av a lots of questions to ask bcz I don't want to be ignorance about my religion
Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by AbuuBilaal(m): 1:18pm On Feb 04, 2017
Crownadex:
Alright sir , though I still av a lots of questions to ask bcz I don't want to be ignorance about my religion

You are welcome
Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by Crownadex(m): 2:30pm On Feb 04, 2017
AbuuBilaal:

You are welcome
hope I can get reliable site where I will be asking questions & gt answr
Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Feb 04, 2017
Crownadex:

Salam alaykum brother

You can try www.islamqa.info/en

There is also http://www.assimalhakeem.net/
Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by AbuuBilaal(m): 3:08pm On Feb 04, 2017
Crownadex:

I'll rather advice that you get phone number of our scholars and ask them any question.

Please give me your state so I can give you the number of the nearest scholar to you.
Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by Crownadex(m): 3:16pm On Feb 04, 2017
snapscore:

Salam alaykum brother

You can try www.islamqa.info/en

There is also http://www.assimalhakeem.net/
I'm really appreciate .Though the 1st site said there is no space 4 any question for today anymore , so I should try to check 2moro but the 2nd site was helpful
Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by Crownadex(m): 3:18pm On Feb 04, 2017
AbuuBilaal:

I'll rather advice that you get phone number of our scholars and ask them any question.

Please give me your state so I can give you the number of the nearest scholar to you.
Ok I'm in ondo city
Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by AbuuBilaal(m): 9:07pm On Feb 04, 2017
Crownadex:
Ok I'm in ondo city

, Ustadh Muslim Ameen, the Imam of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Ondo State.

0805 232 6096
Re: Valentine Day Celebration , Is It Acceptable In Islam ? by Crownadex(m): 9:26pm On Feb 04, 2017
AbuuBilaal:

, Ustadh Muslim Ameen, the Imam of Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Ondo State.

0805 232 6096
Ok sir thanks

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Muslims Pray When They Are Not Expecting Miracles / Taraweeh (or Tarawih) Vs Tahajjud:ending The Debate Javed Ahmad / Israeli Settlers Desecrate Muslim Cemetery Near Nablus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.