Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,842 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 (2023 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by Nobody: 10:20am On Feb 04, 2017
Today I am writing the second part of the lessons I learned while living in England. It’s quite a long story so I have divided it into parts.

So I continued with my studies, while going to work the days I don’t have lectures or have just one subject which ended in the morning.

I was at work one day when the phone rang, and I rushed to pick up the call, ‘’hello,’’ said the caller, ‘’my name is Anne (not real name) can I ask a question?’’

I said, yes you can, she asked if a client in the home (I was a social worker) was on medication and what medication she was on.

Without hesitation, I gave her the answers she needed and even told her she could call back for confirmation from the home manager, as she wasn’t in at the moment.

At that instance, one of the workers who was walking past heard my conversation and asked me what it was she overheard me saying on the phone.

I told her and she went ballistic, she said it was forbidden to speak to strange callers over the phone concerning a client.

The moment she said that, I knew there was going to be trouble and I would be queried by the home manager upon her return!

Immediately she returned and heard what had happened, I was shown the door, I wasn’t given any chance to explain myself.

I went into the locker room and picked my bag and left, and I was told never to come back anyway (I got the job through an agent)

My agents called me while I was on the bus, I told them exactly how it all happened, and they blamed me and said I wasn’t going back to that home again!

When I got home, I sat down (thank goodness my aunt and her husband weren’t at home) and tried to analyze the whole situation.

To me what I did wasn’t bad, but no, it was! I shouldn’t have given out a client’s details which are meant to be confidential to a total stranger!

It could have been an official from the government conducting a survey and the home manager would be in trouble for that.

These things are things I never knew before then, what an ‘organized’ people to work with; they pay attention to every detail I thought!

But I should have been told I thought to myself, maybe to them everybody knows the system, but unfortunately where I’m coming from wasn’t like that.

I didn’t get over the incident and I couldn’t bring myself to tell my aunt and her husband, I just kept it to myself and continued hoping for another job!

Like I mentioned earlier, I needed a job so that I could get a place of my own, afford personal things and have that feeling of independence, which I never had before.

I learned my lesson that day with all the embarrassment attached to it, because the other workers didn’t say a word to me thereafter until I left.

I went to school the following day feeling so empty and drained because I hardly slept through the night, I was awake comparing Nigeria with England!

I was considering forgoing my studies and returning back to Nigeria where everything goes the way you want it and nobody cares about mistakes or not!

Concentrating in the classroom was hard for me for like two days, but in the end I got over it. I continued my studies and changed my mind about returning to Nigeria.

To be continued...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by nellaluv(f): 9:11pm On Feb 04, 2017
Nice story. Please post this in nairaland travel section it will be appreciated. One can learn a thing or two from this.

Lalasticlala, RoyalRoy , ishilove pls move this to tavel section.
Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by Ishilove: 9:40pm On Feb 04, 2017
Bullcrap. The story smacks of inferiority complex.

How can you say things like this are done in Nigeria? Besides it's a matter of common sense which the writer seems to have in minute quantities: you don't give out confidential info to strangers, and over the phone for that matter! It's a standard professional rule not just in UK but the world over.

Perhaps you can say the sanctions are stiffer in the UK (instant dismissal), but don't ever say your kind of gaffe is permitted in Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by babyfaceafrica: 10:29pm On Feb 04, 2017
Ishilove:

How can you say things like this are done in Nigeria? Besides it's a matter of common sense which the writer seems to have in minute quantities: you don't give out confidential info to strangers, and over the phone for that matter! It's a standard professional rule not just in UK but the world over.

Perhaps you can say the sanctions are stiffer in the UK (instant dismissal), but don't ever say your kind of gaffe is permitted in Nigeria.
I agree 100%..this guy dey vez me
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by nellaluv(f): 6:28pm On Feb 05, 2017
Ishilove:
you don't give out confidential info to strangers, and over the phone for that matter! It's a standard professional rule not just in UK but the world over.

You are right, when I read it I was like OMG shocked shocked you don't give out patients information to strangers it's confidential.
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by justwise(m): 7:09pm On Feb 05, 2017
Ishilove:

grin see patriotism grin
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by blank(f): 9:11pm On Feb 05, 2017
I remember once that I needed a doctor that treated me's number and had to call the hospital front desk. I thought I would be gruelled and refused but I was desperate and I had to try. I couldn't even remember his name. I described him to her and she gave me his number immediately. I pushed my luck and asked for information from my file and gave her the file number. She called me back with the info. Chai. Was just thinking of how hackers or blackmailers can get my info easily.

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by Ishilove: 10:56pm On Feb 05, 2017
justwise:
[/b]

grin see patriotism grin
No be patriotism na. Na home truth wink
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by Nobody: 11:53pm On Feb 05, 2017
Chaiomsy:
Today I am writing the second part of the lessons I learned while living in England. It’s quite a long story so I have divided it into parts.

So I continued with my studies, while going to work the days I don’t have lectures or have just one subject which ended in the morning.

I was at work one day when the phone rang, and I rushed to pick up the call, ‘’hello,’’ said the caller, ‘’my name is Anne (not real name) can I ask a question?’’

I said, yes you can, she asked if a client in the home (I was a social worker) was on medication and what medication she was on.

Without hesitation, I gave her the answers she needed and even told her she could call back for confirmation from the home manager, as she wasn’t in at the moment.

At that instance, one of the workers who was walking past heard my conversation and asked me what it was she overheard me saying on the phone.

I told her and she went ballistic, she said it was forbidden to speak to strange callers over the phone concerning a client.

The moment she said that, I knew there was going to be trouble and I would be queried by the home manager upon her return!

Immediately she returned and heard what had happened, I was shown the door, I wasn’t given any chance to explain myself.

I went into the locker room and picked my bag and left, and I was told never to come back anyway (I got the job through an agent)

My agents called me while I was on the bus, I told them exactly how it all happened, and they blamed me and said I wasn’t going back to that home again!

When I got home, I sat down (thank goodness my aunt and her husband weren’t at home) and tried to analyze the whole situation.

To me what I did wasn’t bad, but no, it was! I shouldn’t have given out a client’s details which are meant to be confidential to a total stranger!

It could have been an official from the government conducting a survey and the home manager would be in trouble for that.

These things are things I never knew before then, what an ‘organized’ people to work with; they pay attention to every detail I thought!

But I should have been told I thought to myself, maybe to them everybody knows the system, but unfortunately where I’m coming from wasn’t like that.

I didn’t get over the incident and I couldn’t bring myself to tell my aunt and her husband, I just kept it to myself and continued hoping for another job!

Like I mentioned earlier, I needed a job so that I could get a place of my own, afford personal things and have that feeling of independence, which I never had before.

I learned my lesson that day with all the embarrassment attached to it, because the other workers didn’t say a word to me thereafter until I left.

I went to school the following day feeling so empty and drained because I hardly slept through the night, I was awake comparing Nigeria with England!

I was considering forgoing my studies and returning back to Nigeria where everything goes the way you want it and nobody cares about mistakes or not!

Concentrating in the classroom was hard for me for like two days, but in the end I got over it. I continued my studies and changed my mind about returning to Nigeria.

To be continued...

What you did is not permitted in Nigeria please take note. I don't know why you people cannot write about your experiences abroad without tarnishing our image

4 Likes

Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by Saintsquare(m): 8:54am On Feb 06, 2017
Critics make we hear abeg
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by Nobody: 1:44pm On Feb 11, 2017
LESSONS I LEARNED WHILE LIVING IN ENGLAND- PART 3.

I posted this in travel section, and I was told to continue here....So, I had to post as a reply...sorry guys, Read below...

In continuation to the lessons I learned while living in England part one and two, today I will also write about other experiences as well.

I continued working and going to school too, while searching for a place to stay, like I said earlier, I needed my own privacy so the need for my own accommodation.

So, I called up a housing agent and he said there was quite a few houses he’s got left and if I was interested he would take me for inspection.

We agreed on weekend in the morning, even though I wished to stay home to rest because the workload in the school and going to work was getting to me!

He took me for the inspection, it was a shared accommodation, I never really liked it but it was a cheaper kind of accommodation at least for a student.

It was also a utility bill inclusive accommodation, and I was going to be sharing kitchen, lounge and toilet with three other people.

There was a female student from Malawi, a Pakistani guy who worked in the city center and a Jamaican plumber.

I went home and informed my aunt about the accommodation even though we had already discussed it before.

She consented to it, but she was a bit worried I was going to be all by myself, I assured her I will be fine, ‘’haba aunty, I am not a baby na,’’ I told her.

I moved out the following evening and promised my aunt I will be coming around some weekends when I am less busy from work and school.

I found the accommodation very cool, I love privacy like there is no tomorrow. I will have more time to read and study hard, I told myself.

It also gave me a sense of responsibility; I have lived all my life with my parents paying the bills, so now I want to be in charge of my bills and expenses!

The only thing I found not very pleasing was the idea of sharing bathroom and toilet. I love my toilet spick and span and I wasn’t sure it will be the same here.

Well, I just have to manage whatever that comes my way; I thought to myself, being able to manage your situation is part of being responsible!

I settled in sharp sharp, I love making new friends; I couldn’t wait to be introduced to the other tenants.

They weren’t in when I moved in, so I was alone till when they all came home. They weren’t surprised to see me as the agent had hinted on a new person.

The first to come in was the Jamaican guy, he worked as a plumber. He said ‘’hi, nice to meet ya, my name is Peter.’’

I said ‘’hello, my name is Chichi, nice to meet you too. I asked him what he does for a living and he said, ‘’I am a ‘plummer.’

For like five seconds, I didn’t get what he had just said, I went ‘’sorry, what did you say?’’ he said, ‘’I work as a ‘plummer’

That was when I realized he meant ‘plumber’ but was pronounced as ‘plummer,’ I learned the correct pronunciation right there and then!

We talked on other things like taxes, and how the system worked in Britain. How you have to work from sun up to sun down to earn a living.

I struggled all through the conversation to understand what he said with his heavy Jamaican accent. He appeared mean and very tough too.

It was not until the others came home, that I learned that the Jamaican guy was the care-taker of the house and that he called the shots!

To be continued….

Source: http://www.chichiuncensored.com
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by justwise(m): 4:06pm On Feb 11, 2017
Chaiomsy:
LESSONS I LEARNED WHILE LIVING IN ENGLAND- PART 3.

The first to come in was the Jamaican guy, he worked as a plumber. He said ‘’hi, nice to meet ya, my name is Peter.’’

I said ‘’hello, my name is Chichi, nice to meet you too. I asked him what he does for a living and he said, ‘’I am a ‘plummer.’

For like five seconds, I didn’t get what he had just said, I went ‘’sorry, what did you say?’’ he said, ‘’I work as a ‘plummer’

That was when I realized he meant ‘plumber’ but was pronounced as ‘plummer,’ I learned the correct pronunciation right there and then!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Chichi please stick with plumber and not 'plummer'..you really don't want to know what that means..very cruel street slag
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by drakeli: 9:19pm On Feb 11, 2017
justwise:

Chichi please stick with plumber and not 'plummer'..you really don't want to know what that means..very cruel street slag

Haba!! That's the correct pronunciation na, but it's spelt as "plumber". Audio dictionary can help you.
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by justwise(m): 9:34pm On Feb 11, 2017
drakeli:

Haba!! That's the correct pronunciation na, but it's spelt as "plumber". Audio dictionary can help you.

You really don't get it.
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by blank(f): 11:24pm On Feb 11, 2017
drakeli:

Plummer is what douchebags such as paedophiles and rapists are called. In slang form.
Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by deejerrydee: 4:26pm On Feb 15, 2017
I hail you...Only spiritual Lastma officials can divert your mind to the right route.

justwise:

Re: Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by Pillyportions(f): 6:13pm On Feb 15, 2017
Wow chichi keep us updated o.... U re a swker... Am one too .abeg make i pm u i hav lots of questions to ask concerning social work there.

(1) (Reply)

Countries That Are Easy To Gain Citizenship, And Those That Are Not! / Nigerians In Netherlands / Please How Long Will GTBANK Send Me My Telex After Debit From Form A

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.