Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,499 members, 7,801,302 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 01:33 PM

DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) (40275 Views)

Adewole Atere, FUOYE Lecturer, Impregnates 16-Year-Old Student (Photos) / Ahmed Bature, Nigerian Defence Academy Best Graduating Student (Photos) / Teacher Thrown Into Prison For Flogging Student In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by rem44: 1:54pm On Feb 04, 2017
DSS INVASION OF FEDERAL GOVERNMENT GIRLS COLLEGE CALABAR AND WHY WE SHOULD ALL LIFT UP OUR VOICES AND WAIL

I got a call in the morning of Thursday, February 2 from Architect Njor Ntangha Tabi, a staff of Federal Government Girls College, Calabar. He sounded agitated, frightened and incoherent. He was trying to say something about DSS, students, teachers, beatings, bullets and gunshots.

I tried calming him down but it wasn't working. Incidentally I was in Calabar for another assignment. I told him I will head out to the school once I was done with my assignment. That didn't happened until hours later.

When I got to the school, it was late in the evening. I met a rattled bunch of teachers, all trying to tell me what happened at the same time. A trained lawyer should know he won't get the gist of what happened in such an excited babble. I just gleaned what I could and scheduled a visit to the scene the following day and a series of interview in a temporary office they agreed to arrange for me.

Friday. 3rd February. I went to the scene and held a series of interview and came face to face with the grandfather of all impunity and the most bizarre thing that ever happened in an academic institution since man started learning how to read and write.

Mr Owai Owai, a Civic Education teacher of over 17 years standing came to class that fateful Thursday morning and found a junior student sweeping the class of the SS3 students when classes was going on in the class of the junior, against the school rules that junior students should not be found sweeping the classes of seniors during school periods.

Mr Owai was able to fish out about 10 seniors who asked the juniors to sweep their class during school period contrary to school regulations. He punished the seniors by flogging them on their palms, 2 strokes of the cane each.

One of the the seniors, Grace Loveth Asuquo, grabbed the teacher by the collar of his shirt, protesting her flogging. The teacher was shocked and gave her more strokes for her action. She told the teacher in front of the students that her parents will burn down the school today and stormed out of the class.

Mr Owai continued teaching, unknown to him that Grace has called her mum, who called her sister that is a DSS operative. Half way through the class, the student's mum, her aunt who is a DSS operative and another man, stormed the class, gestapo-style, took the teacher's canes and flogged him mercilessly before his alarmed students.

When the canes broke from the trashing of hapless Mr Owai, they descended on his frail frame and rained torrents of blows and kicks on him. The screams of the students alerted the teachers who came to the rescue.

Grace's DSS operative aunt called for reinforcement and before you can say "poor education funding", 3 Hilux load of DSS operatives stormed the school.

The operatives went berserk and started shooting sporadically and hitting teachers with anything they could find: blows, kicks, stones, gun butts! Several teachers sustained injuries from the assault and battery.

Some ran into adjoining bushes and farms to save their lives. Some of the teachers started taking pictures and videoing. When the DSS operatives found out, they went after them, forcefully collecting their phones and further brutalising them. Phones, monies, glasses and other valuables were taken away by the operatives.

When they were driving out, they found the gate locked. They beat up the security men and shut the padlock open! They abducted the student, Grace Loveth Asuquo and left the school premises.

The entire staff and students of Federal Government Girls College community are traumatized and frightened. Classes didn't hold on Friday, February 3rd because of this.

When did we get here and how? The DSS, trained, armed and paid with tax payers money; using the arms we bought for them to harass our teachers before our children. What is this?

The management and staff of the school has instructed me to demand the following:

1. A written public apology from DSS published on NTA, Radio Nigeria and 4 national dailies.

2. An oral apology given at the Assembly Ground before staff and students

3. Outright dismissal and prosecution of the operatives involved in this barbaric act.

4. To foot the hospital bills of all staff who sustained injuries during the assault.

5. To return/pay for all lost or damaged items like phones, monies, glasses, etc

6. Replace the damaged school gate

7. Pay a 10 million naira compensation to the school.

I have the further instruction of the staff to file a suit in a court of competent jurisdiction to seek for redress and damages.

We must all wail against the excesses of our law enforcement agents. Their duty is to protect us and not to intimidate us. A formal petition has been lodged with the appropriate authorities. But there is something we can do here: let's stand up and shout against this barbaric intimidation by the DSS, if we don't stand up now, there might be no one left to stand tomorrow.

First Baba Isa, Esq.,
Legal Practitioner,

Source: http://www.trezzyhelm.com/2017/02/dss-storm-federal-govt-girls.html?m=1

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by rem44: 1:55pm On Feb 04, 2017

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by rem44: 1:55pm On Feb 04, 2017
rem44:
More
more

1 Share

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Iamwrath: 1:59pm On Feb 04, 2017
Who beat who?
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by rem44: 2:04pm On Feb 04, 2017
More

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Donexy16(m): 2:14pm On Feb 04, 2017
Lawlessness and oppression at its peak..

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Sunnymatey(m): 2:16pm On Feb 04, 2017
Who is to call them to order? DSS and their oga is one and the same.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by ministeriallist: 2:22pm On Feb 04, 2017
Naija I hail o!
Abeg make we love one another. No need for all these fighting.
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by omenkaLives(m): 2:30pm On Feb 04, 2017
With access to the internet, every idiot can now day whatever, whenever and however. No evidence whatsoever to show DSS was there, but just as every other hate induced comments from certain group of persons who litter cyberspace, evidence is "irrelevant" just as long as the subject makes their preferred bogeyman look bad!

Just yesterday, they rained insults on the same organisation and the President because of some misreported story, only to get the detailed report of what really transpired, a report which showed neither DSS nor the president was involved in the incident in any way!

Keep the hate burning fellas, hopefully, someday, you'd reap the reward of all your "hard work".

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by temitemi1(m): 2:39pm On Feb 04, 2017
DSS There was a countru...

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Nobody: 3:03pm On Feb 04, 2017
That student has ended her career in that school already. Though she might find her way to another school, am sure this will make her for ever irresponsible.

9 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by fallout87: 4:46pm On Feb 04, 2017
omenkaLives:
With access to the internet, every idiot can now day whatever, whenever and however. No evidence whatsoever to show DSS was there, but just as every other hate induced comments from certain group of persons who litter cyberspace, evidence is "irrelevant" just as long as the subject makes their preferred bogeyman look bad!

Just yesterday, they rained insults on the same organisation and the President because of some misreported story, only to get the detailed report of what really transpired, a report which showed neither DSS nor the president was involved in the incident in any way!

Keep the hate burning fellas, hopefully, someday, you'd reap the reward of all your "hard work".

No evidence?

Why do you think he took pictures of the bullet casing and the serial numbers? Those serial numbers are attributed to weapons.

Weapons which the DSS own. Which shows they're implicated.

People like you who aren't even smart enouvh to see this shouldn't have internet access. Seriously. Go read a book friend.

262 Likes 17 Shares

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by fallout87: 4:47pm On Feb 04, 2017
Delete
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by naijaking1: 4:51pm On Feb 04, 2017
Nepotism is how Buhari is fighting corruption!

3 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by SalamRushdie: 5:27pm On Feb 04, 2017
Every security officer involved in this show of shame must be dismissed ASAP starting from that useless aunty ..When she stays jobless with her niece she will know the truth

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by vedaxcool(m): 6:03pm On Feb 04, 2017
omenkaLives:

This people are just sick and acting dumb... every fool now chants DSS like a canary. .

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by UnitedSouthZone: 6:04pm On Feb 04, 2017
Southern Region( SE,SS and SW) We need to unite, if not we would keep being taken for granted. We have so many greedy people who don't support our interest in power.

Lets unite as one and support each other, this is the only way to make Nigeria better for ourselves.

Why are Igbos , Yorubas and our people from the South South not a united front. We have similar interest and policies

United states bombed hiroshima in Japan and killed several people, yet today they are strong allies.

German killed a lot of Europeans during WW2 yet today they are the strongest force in the European Union.

What have Igbos done to Yorubas or Vice versa that they can't work together to be a united front. We are getting it all wrong. This isn't how to play politics.

We all have the same goals and similar policies.

Southern states are capitalist in Nature , Hard working and believers of a restructured system. Why don't we come together like the examples given above did. The whole point is Economic freedom.

If our eyes don't open we would keep being second fiddle to the North, the Core North(Especially NW&NE ) knows this and that is what they use this to keep cheating us in the southern region and our people in the middle belt. Lets open our eyes, enough of being too gullible my Southern family

They laugh when we keep fighting, its all in their interest. If we are united we don't need votes from NE and NW to win Elections, we have the numbers. We can set policies in which we believe in.

Do you know the north has more ethnic groups than us in the south.

Do you know the fourth largest ethnic group are Tiv people also in the northern region, but in all these they are more united.

They have been using divide and rule tactics for us and yet we keep falling for it and being gullible.Lets wake up

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by KINGwax007(m): 6:06pm On Feb 04, 2017
Everything is DSS. Stupid lots.

Is it possible for that to happen and no single pics to stick to that claim?

You come use blade tickle your uncle come dey post one yeye pics for us. And what you called bullet holes, you shld be so dense not to understand that there will be signs of burns and black residues around the bullet holes and not some old holes that is even rusted out!!!

Didinrin Omo!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by miqos02(m): 6:15pm On Feb 04, 2017
ok
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by iamawara(m): 6:15pm On Feb 04, 2017
Anger will noth allow me to read this this thing... That's someone's Daddy oh

Space booked

Will continue reading later

1 Like

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by brunofarad(m): 6:15pm On Feb 04, 2017
Let me read the story first

It's official

Nigeria is now Banana Republic
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 04, 2017
grin grin grin grin

Poor Education Funding...the new Jack Robbinson

7 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by ellechrystal(f): 6:16pm On Feb 04, 2017
Such a pity. The country is turning into something else

2 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by emeijeh(m): 6:16pm On Feb 04, 2017
Everything now na DSS

SMH

1 Like

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by saaedlee: 6:16pm On Feb 04, 2017
Stupid teachers, I laugh when I saw the report yesterday, unu get luck say no be my pikin

1 Like

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by Iamabimbola(m): 6:17pm On Feb 04, 2017
Sometimes you wonder, what's really is the job of dss, i feel lastma is more professional than this dss, never minding their business!

8 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by gurunlocker: 6:17pm On Feb 04, 2017
See as DSS defenders Flood the thread....

4 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by princeonx: 6:17pm On Feb 04, 2017
What's up with the bullet shelves? Abi they Wan kill am join?
Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by lilfreezy: 6:17pm On Feb 04, 2017
the regime of oppression

6 Likes

Re: DSS Beats Up Teachers In Calabar For Flogging A Student (Photos) by paschu: 6:18pm On Feb 04, 2017
Your twisted opinion is irrelevant on the matter.

[s]
omenkaLives:

[/s]

23 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Canadian Province, British Columbia Announces Two-Year Ban On Nigerians, Others / Imo State University (IMSU) 2012/2013 Admissions & Post Ume Thread / Mike Olu Akinlabi Now A PHD Holder

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.