Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,253 members, 7,780,540 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:06 PM

Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 (645 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lessons I Learned While Living In England- Part 2 by Nobody: 12:58am On Feb 05, 2017
Today I am writing the second part of the lessons I learned while living in England. It’s quite a long story so I have divided it into parts.

So I continued with my studies, while going to work the days I don’t have lectures or have just one subject which ended in the morning.

I was at work one day when the phone rang, and I rushed to pick up the call, ‘’hello,’’ said the caller, ‘’my name is Anne (not real name) can I ask a question?’’

I said, yes you can, she asked if a client in the home (I was a social worker) was on medication and what medication she was on.

Without hesitation, I gave her the answers she needed and even told her she could call back for confirmation from the home manager, as she wasn’t in at the moment.

At that instance, one of the workers who was walking past heard my conversation and asked me what it was she overheard me saying on the phone.

I told her and she went ballistic, she said it was forbidden to speak to strange callers over the phone concerning a client.

The moment she said that, I knew there was going to be trouble and I would be queried by the home manager upon her return!

Immediately she returned and heard what had happened, I was shown the door, I wasn’t given any chance to explain myself.

I went into the locker room and picked my bag and left, and I was told never to come back anyway (I got the job through an agent)

My agents called me while I was on the bus, I told them exactly how it all happened, and they blamed me and said I wasn’t going back to that home again!

When I got home, I sat down (thank goodness my aunt and her husband weren’t at home) and tried to analyze the whole situation.

To me what I did wasn’t bad, but no, it was! I shouldn’t have given out a client’s details which are meant to be confidential to a total stranger!

It could have been an official from the government conducting a survey and the home manager would be in trouble for that.

These things are things I never knew before then, what an ‘organized’ people to work with; they pay attention to every detail I thought!

But I should have been told I thought to myself, maybe to them everybody knows the system, but unfortunately where I’m coming from wasn’t like that.

I didn’t get over the incident and I couldn’t bring myself to tell my aunt and her husband, I just kept it to myself and continued hoping for another job!

Like I mentioned earlier, I needed a job so that I could get a place of my own, afford personal things and have that feeling of independence, which I never had before.

I learned my lesson that day with all the embarrassment attached to it, because the other workers didn’t say a word to me thereafter until I left.

I went to school the following day feeling so empty and drained because I hardly slept through the night, I was awake comparing Nigeria with England!

I was considering forgoing my studies and returning back to Nigeria where everything goes the way you want it and nobody cares about mistakes or not!

Concentrating in the classroom was hard for me for like two days, but in the end I got over it. I continued my studies and changed my mind about returning to Nigeria.

To be continued...

(1) (Reply)

PHOTOS: Luxury Bus Plunges Into Canal In Lagos / EU Escalates 'visa War' With US With Americans Set To Lose Visa-free Status / Why You Shouldn't Sleep During Flight Takeoff And Landing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.