Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,894 members, 7,802,877 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

Review Of The Last Cans Of Sardines I Bought - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Review Of The Last Cans Of Sardines I Bought (895 Views)

I Bought A Paint Bucket Of Garri N1000 In My Area. How Much Is It In Your Area? / The Fish Caught In Oguta Lake I Bought N10,000 (Photos) / The Snake I Bought For N4500 Along Zaria-Kaduna Highway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Review Of The Last Cans Of Sardines I Bought by Nobody: 7:01pm On Feb 06, 2017
I am not a fan of canned foods, but there are times I won’t have a choice than to use the available option of any canned food in my cupboard.

Canned foods as we all know are made with a preservative which makes it almost unhealthy for consumption.

If you are health conscious like me, then you will know what I’m talking about. Preservatives and artificial coloring are very dangerous.

But then, I love sardines, either in vegetable oil or tomato sauce. In fact I love anything fish, any how it comes, either packed or not, boiled or fried!

I can eat fish every day without getting tired, but meat; meat is actually a source of protein I really do not like. I love beans, eggs and all dairy products.

So, I was stunned when I opened a can of sardines and I couldn’t believe what I saw inside. It was packed without removing the stomach!

It was totally disgusting to say the least; I just sat there staring at it, wondering if I should throw it away or not. Throwing food away is not my style at all.

Not in this present economic situation, but then again I thought, I can’t eat this, I wondered if the remaining packs was all the same.

I was tempted to open all of them to check (I bought 6 cans) but I changed my mind. I had my breakfast without my favorite fish!

You see, this kind of scenario can only be in Nigeria, woe betide any company that would manufacture or import a disgusting fish like that in developed countries.

I watched a documentary on one of this foreign news channels, the documentary was about fishermen in the West African country of Guinea.

They were interviewing one of the fishermen, on how they operate at the sea shore, working day and night to ensure adequate fish for export.

He was asked how they managed to select and differentiate the fishes for export, and he said, ‘’ we select the fresh fish and export them to European countries.’’

While we select and export the rotten fishes to Nigeria! I was frozen where I sat watching. If not that I was watching with my mum who also heard it, I would have thought I heard wrong.

At that instance I thought of calling the news station and telling them that, what the guy who is obviously not a Nigerian said was absolutely wrong!

Thank goodness I didn’t because, I would have been proven wrong, here I was staring at a rotten can of fish right on my dining table!

It is just so sad what we are made to go through in this country. Even when I traveled to Ghana, I saw things differently.

Everything is entirely different from what I was used to here in Nigeria. Nobody cares what comes into this country.

Take a look at the way, fresh meats are being sold in the markets, they are sold with bones, very strong bones that can destroy one’s teeth if care is not taken!

The fish mongers do not cut open and clean up the fishes before they are sold to consumers. What is the ministry of health doing?

What effort do they put in place to ensure proper handling of food items? A lot has to be done really; our health is at stake with the kind of food we are made to consume.

I have wasted my hard earned money buying rotten cans of sardines, and nobody to hold responsible for that let alone ask for refund!

Source: http://www.chichiuncensored.com

(1) (Reply)

Exercise For Weight Loss / Foods That Are Richer In Protein Than Eggs / Wish To Venture Into Chin Chin Biz;pls What Do I Need To Know As A Novice;

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.